View Poll Results: RATE AND REVIEW THE SIMPSONS MOVIE!!

Voters
1030. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 STARS - WOO-HOO! Completely worth the 18 year wait!

331 32.14%
  • 4.5 STARS - Fantastic

201 19.51%
  • 4 STARS - Excellent

173 16.80%
  • 3.5 STARS - Really good

95 9.22%
  • 3 STARS - It was pretty good, but could have been better

121 11.75%
  • 2.5 STARS - Hmmm... good, I guess

35 3.40%
  • 2 STARS - Meh, I dunno, not entirely what I wanted

26 2.52%
  • 1.5 STARS - Not too good

13 1.26%
  • 1 STAR - Groan, that was pretty bad

12 1.17%
  • 0.5 STARS - Not worth the wait at all, wish it was never made

7 0.68%
  • 0 STARS - The worst moment in Simpsons history

16 1.55%
Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: THE SIMPSONS MOVIE

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I had to reply..because..well...I don't see why so many fans hate it! This site seems to like it.

BTW -> What do you guys think about the Tom Hanks cameo? I rewatch the movie yesterday and realise Morgan Freeman would work so much better for the joke...

Blog Entries

it's pretty much just there for me. not really funny or anything, it's just... a random celebrity cameo like they have done so many times before

I rewatched this movie quite recently (around two weeks ago) and I still enjoy it as much as the first time I saw it. I remember seeing a quote from a reviewer saying that he would be able to watch this movie 20 times and still be able to laugh on the 20th time. I must say that I agree with whoever said this. If you make sure you watch the movie every six months or so, I find you can still get the same kind of enjoyment you got the first time you saw it.
    Maybe this isn't the case for other fans, I don't know?

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Every time I watch it it gets worse and worse. Even when I saw it for the first time when I was 12, it just stood out as "good, but not great".

I always disliked the animation in the movie, even when I first watched it (when I thought new Simpsons was something new and exciting, as I did not have Sky at the time I had seen very few episodes post season 11/12 in 2007); it just came across as incredibly stale and overly bright. Jokes wise it was barely hilarious, off the top of my head there were a lot of lame gags, a few good ones, granted, but a lot of bad ones (the film banner gag, the Homer pain gags, rock and a hard place, etc)

Essentially, the film's fault is that it's just a long episode. It wasn't epic or dramatic enough to truly separate itself from the series and it did just feel like a money grabbing venture. I actually think they should have tried something more experimental, like, I dunno, a "22 Short Films"-esque thing sorta like Pulp Fiction, or just made it more dramatic (heck, "Lisa's Substitute" was more dramatic than this).

Basically, if you rate it as an episode, it's okay, but standing up against other movies, and comedies, it's not all that - it's pretty bad. I gave it a "meh" rating of 2.5/5 in the poll; I haven't seen it in months but I'm pretty sure it's no better than that.

hidle-onar-takan-thran Toomanygrandmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Better than I thought it would be

Well, despite this being a film rather than an episode, and therefore having much more detail to analyse, I'm going to have to keep this review short. I have seen this film twice - once when it first came out in cinemas, and once again earlier this year. However, it has been a while since I saw it, so cannot remember all the details.

I went in to the cinema with low expectations - usually films of a television series aren't all that great. However, the Simpsons Movie wasn't all that bad. Having said that, it felt nothing more than a 'good episode', for the time it was released.

Pros - Decent plot and structure; some genuinely good emotion in some scenes; some pretty funny moments
    Cons - Too many 'Homer getting hurt' jokes and slightly crude jokes, but I guess that's simply because it was just like a long episode; some characters not really used enough or at all

3/5

Blog Entries

I've never posted in this thread ?
    Well, 3 stars, but I'll explain later...

I saw this in the theater when it came out I thought that it was absolutely awesome! I thought the jokes were hilliarous, the premise was really good. That Homer screws up so bad that it not only effects his family, but everyone in the town and they all suffer because of his stupidity.

Junior Camper

I just watched this again tonight, after reading this thread.

I've got to say: 4.5 stars, at least. I thought it was a great movie. I don't really like the whole environmentalist theme, but the movie itself was very well done. I also thought the movie showed a lot of character growth and a warmth that the series had been missing for a long time. My only regret is that more of the movie didn't make it back into the series. I thought the relationship between Homer and Marge should've really been changed by that.

Dividing by Zero ...$slkdafjk

I didn't really like it. It was geared to a different audience than the series and I hate being preached to about environmental issues when I just want to have a laugh. While it far exceeds many of the episodes that came shortly before/after it, that's not saying much. I'm kind of glad, though, that they didn't really carry over a lot of what happened in the movie into later episodes. That doesn't seem natural for the show, where unless something fairly big, like death or divorce, happens, everything goes back to normal. They could've done a much better job with the movie IMO. 2/5

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

I was in Australia recently, and Ten Network (one of Australia's OTA commercial networks) broadcast The Simpsons Movie - it aired unchanged, except for a small black bar over Bart's penis. (In other words, it was identical to the FX version, except that the black bar was much smaller and did not say "European Version Only".)

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Lolrus View Post
    I didn't really like it. It was geared to a different audience than the series and I hate being preached to about environmental issues when I just want to have a laugh.
    I don't like that, either, but I've grown accustomed to it. That goes way back to Season 2 with "Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish".

While it far exceeds many of the episodes that came shortly before/after it, that's not saying much. I'm kind of glad, though, that they didn't really carry over a lot of what happened in the movie into later episodes. That doesn't seem natural for the show, where unless something fairly big, like death or divorce, happens, everything goes back to normal. They could've done a much better job with the movie IMO. 2/5
    I can see your point about everything going back to normal usually, but I do think this was really big. IIRC, the farthest away Marge has ever gone is the Sleep-Eazy Motel, and that wasn't the kind of permanent break this had the potential to be (even if we, as the audience, knew it wasn't permanent). And I thought the speech Marge gave in the VCR tape ratcheted up the stakes. It would've been a big writing job, and maybe that's why they never followed through with it, but in terms of characterization, that could've been the end of Jerkass Homer.

Dividing by Zero ...$slkdafjk

Quote Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
    IIRC, the farthest away Marge has ever gone is the Sleep-Eazy Motel, and that wasn't the kind of permanent break this had the potential to be (even if we, as the audience, knew it wasn't permanent). And I thought the speech Marge gave in the VCR tape ratcheted up the stakes.
    Oh, yeah. I haven't seen the Simpsons Movie in forever. I've forgotten a lot of what happened in the movie, but now that I think of it there's enough that maybe a change in Homer's characterization would at least be justified, if not optimal.

Junior Camper

Oh, yeah. I haven't seen the Simpsons Movie in forever. I've forgotten a lot of what happened in the movie, but now that I think of it there's enough that maybe a change in Homer's characterization would at least be justified, if not optimal.
    I think what bothers me is that the writers lacked courage. Keeping that story arc (along with showing little bits of Springfield being rebuilt after the movie) could've really opened up another avenue for the writers, if they'd just gone with it. Instead, we get a return of Jerkass Homer that no longer makes any sense (if it ever did), and another Selma marriage. (How many times are they going to go back to that well?)

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    I actually think they should have tried something more experimental, like, I dunno, a "22 Short Films"-esque thing sorta like Pulp Fiction, or just made it more dramatic (heck, "Lisa's Substitute" was more dramatic than this).
    I kinda agree with this, but I think it's a matter of execution more than choice of the subject. I mean, Springfield is almost destroyed, Bart is becoming a "Flanders", Lisa gets a good boyfriend and Homer and Marge almost break up. Those are pretty dramatic elements and the movie does some of them right. But others are barely explored. The problem of the movie is that it's a bit disjointed. Instead of exploring all the plots it focuses too much in some of them. It focuses a lot in Homer. If they wanted to make a movie about Homer I think they could just have abandoned some of the other storylines to begin with. Lisa's one looks really, really underdeveloped.

They could have combined two subjects: enviromental theme and family crisis. But the envireomental theme seems to be an excuse for a science fiction kind of thing: the dome story, and the family crisis is a little hit and miss: they nailed some things but kinda got the easy route in others.

The dome story is pretty well told for what it is. There are good gags involving the Springfield citizens and everything Homer does when he comes back to Springfield is pretty hilarious or exciting, especially jumping Sprinfield Gorge and doing it right.The villain could have been developed a little more but at least he has some fun lines.

The family crisis is based on a quite dumb version of Homer, but they managed to show some sweet aspects of him. Other times he's borderline jerkass but I guess that's on purpose so we could understand Marge's POV. The problem comes in the Boob Lady segment. I don't think it was bad as a visual sequence and some of the gags were ok (others were a little lame). But anyway I don't see how this sequence can be the solution of the whole problem. It's a pretty easy redemption. Homer gets an epiphany and now he's good, before he acted like a jerkass. How convenient. Of course Marge also forgives him immediately.

The Bart/Flanders story is kind of good but it could have been explored a little more too.

So the resume is this:

-Dome story. Pretty good. Almost classic era material except for the President scenes which were a little lame, and the lack of development and easy way to get rid of the villain.
    -Homer-Marge conflict. Quite good until the Boob Lady scene.
    -Lisa's story. After a good introduction it almost disappear.
    -Bart-Flanders-Homer story. Like a good Jean episode. That means it's not as good as classic era but it's ok.
    -Alaska. This was like a vacation episode that included some things that were helpful to the plot and others that weren't that much. It would have probably felt more organic if living in a beautiful place like Alaska would have made Homer more concerned about the enviroment. In this setting it seems this epiphany would have made more sense. The one about his family, he could have got that in any other setting.

Other aspects:
    -Enviromental subject. There's not a moral or message, it's just there for some reason.
    -Homer: they nailed the part when he tries to help but he makes things worse. But his portrait as a flawed but good man is not perfect. Some of his bad actions are a little gratuitous. He behaves worse than usual with Bart and with Marge. Then, after the epiphany, he starts to act like his regular self.
    -First act. As they do in most of the episodes it's kind of a little story that leads to the main story. That's ok but they should have probably included Spiderpig later to make it more organic. Also starting the movie with the guest stars was not probably the best idea, even if they introduced the enviromental theme.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

Banned

I loved it when I watched it but I must have grown up in the past 4 years because I realise now it was a completely boring film stuffed full of pointless celebrity cameos, lame jokes(especially the spider pig and Homer sticking his fingers up in the sand parts) I mean I can't even watch it nowadays, I've probably seen it one time after I watched it at the cinema, disappointing to say the least but that's the zombie Simpsons for ya.

Blog Entries

Voted 2.5, because, really, (and I know you guys will hate me for this) it just seems like a stretched-out season 18 episode.

Blog Entries

i wonder how many people who voted would change their votes if they could.

i would change mine to a 3, maybe 2.5.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joe miller View Post
    i wonder how many people who voted would change their votes if they could.

i would change mine to a 3, maybe 2.5.
    Definitely

3 at best

Blog Entries

Wow, holy shit. You guys agree. Didn't expect that.

Blog Entries

what's so odd about dark homer and me agreeing?

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think he meant you both agreed with him.

Blog Entries

The beginning and end were the best parts. They should have kept the entire movie in Springfield.

Also, less writers, and longer scenes. It felt like the movie was in ADD mode, most likely because all of the writers wanted their ideas implemented some way or another. This is especially obvious when nothing makes sense chronologically (Flanders in the Krusty Burger from day to dusk, which the writers even joke about during the commentary). They bragged about adding ideas and changing things up until the last minute, but when it causes mistakes like that it's obviously a bad thing. Another example pointed out by Dead Homer Society was The Simpsons being fugitives one minute, and free to casually stroll around the next.

Lisa's subplot with the Irish boy was stupid, because the audience has no emotional attachment to him. I couldn't even remember his name, and he barely had any lines. They should have stayed with their original idea and made Lisa's love interest Milhouse! The contast between those two characters is great - She's realistic and down to Earth, whereas Milhouse is a dorky weiner with a big nose. But what we ended up with was essentially two of the same character.

I generally hate roadtrip movies, so yeah, it started to suck when they made their journey to Alaska. When Homer watched Marge's tape - ugh, so forced and cliche! Yes it was sad, but not in a way that sticks with you, since Homer and Marge get back together in the end. Actually, the scene ends up being humorous on repeated viewings since she taped over her wedding video for nothing. LOL.

The sad moments in the show stay that way (except for Homer losing his mom, since they brought her back again in the Jean era. And yeah, I know they killed her off in a later episode but that just ruins the moment in Mother Simpson moreso). Lisa had to say goodbye to Mr Bergstrom forever, Skinner and Patty had to break up forever, Selma had to accept she couldn't have kids, etc... Only instead of completely rectifying the situation, they made do with bittersweet endings. Lisa learned to appreciate her father, Skinner took comfort in punishing Bart, and Selma made do with her pet iguana.

Therefore, I think a better ending to the movie would have been Homer not winning Marge back. I won't turn this into fanfiction or anything, but if something similar to that happened, it would've made the movie's sad moment (and therefore the movie itself) more memorable. People would think of that movie as an important moment in the series, rather than just some random shit that happened between seasons 18 and 19.

Blog Entries

Here's my main point about the movie.

Imagine if there was no such thing as The Simpsons. Not at all. Not even any Ullman shorts. Then, in 2007, someone had this idea for a movie. A movie about a town being sealed off by a dome. And it was live-action. It would be the worst movie ever.

The fact that the lead guy learns to motorcycle upside-down at the carnival would be seen as hackneyed, a naked boy skateboarding through town would probably see the film being banned. If anything, it would make no sense.

Now imagine the plot of the South Park movie as live action. The plot and story of it would still be bloody good and satirical.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan, Sam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Friz View Post
    Here's my main point about the movie.

Then, in 2007, someone had this idea for a movie. A movie about a town being sealed off by a dome. And it was live-action. It would be the worst movie ever.
    Now, now, let's wait until it's released before we judge
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_t...ilm_adaptation

Did someone notice the ambulance that we see at the end of Bart the daredevil season 2 when Homer fall into the Springfield gorge !

EDIT :
    Last edited by Alex_Of_Darkness; 01-16-2012 at 04:15 PM.
    My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings/Reviews:
    Clown in the Dumps : 1/5 / The Wreck of the Relationship : 3,5/5 / Super Franchise Me : 3/5 / Simpson Horror Show XXV : 2,75/5

Banned

I wonder if those 256 people still feel this movie is 10/10 worthy...I certainly think it's worse everytime I watch it.

I just want to know why you don't like it ?

For me it's not a but at least a 8/10 !

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandreLeblanc View Post
    I just want to know why you don't like it ?

For me it's not a but at least a 8/10 !
    Without going into detail, I just found the whole environment theme boring, it didn't make me laugh once, it was just a platform for celebrity cameos and I believe it's been over hyped and over rated purely because it's The Simpsons and it's a Simpsons movie.

I got a boner when Bart's dick was shown.

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: supmandude

Thread Information