View Poll Results: RATE AND REVIEW THE SIMPSONS MOVIE!!

Voters
1030. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 STARS - WOO-HOO! Completely worth the 18 year wait!

331 32.14%
  • 4.5 STARS - Fantastic

201 19.51%
  • 4 STARS - Excellent

173 16.80%
  • 3.5 STARS - Really good

95 9.22%
  • 3 STARS - It was pretty good, but could have been better

121 11.75%
  • 2.5 STARS - Hmmm... good, I guess

35 3.40%
  • 2 STARS - Meh, I dunno, not entirely what I wanted

26 2.52%
  • 1.5 STARS - Not too good

13 1.26%
  • 1 STAR - Groan, that was pretty bad

12 1.17%
  • 0.5 STARS - Not worth the wait at all, wish it was never made

7 0.68%
  • 0 STARS - The worst moment in Simpsons history

16 1.55%
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: THE SIMPSONS MOVIE

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Quote Originally Posted by Binky
    Wow, I hope that doesn't happen when I go see it...
    It happened at my theater too, but only a couple people. It didn't bother me though, I expected a strong reaction to this part of the movie since I know people love it on the ads. Sure enough, tons of laughter.
    Signature.

the movie beat my expectations, legitimately had me laughing for a good portion of the film. the humor was very slapstick-esque (as i had expected) and lacked the subtly of old simpsons humor, but was still fun to watch. i think it was just a neat experience seeing the simpsons in the movies, as silly as that sounds.if there ever is another movie, it should be done with oakley and weinstein in complete control, with hand drawn animation... something for all the old die hard fans.
    why are you the way that you are?

coming on strong Wall E. Weasel's Avatar

actually i did enjoy the al brooks character, that mad with power quote made me laugh. a bit.

but otherwise it was fucking awful. homer was much more an imbecilic and selfish manchild rather than a well-meaning buffoon and the whole premise was just stupid and full of plot holes (why didn't anyone think to, um, DIG under the big glass dome?). i know it's an old argument but i spose i just didn't enjoy it cos all my favourite episodes are episodes of a sensitive, clever sitcom that just happens to be a cartoon rather than episodes of a wacky cartoon and the film was undeniably wacky.

Pin Pal

Simpsons Movie Feedback!

Okie dokie then!

Upon first viewing the movie seemed funny, but somehow un-Simpson like. A lot of jokes and plots that seemed more Family Guy-esque than Simpsonian. Still really, really funny though.

However, upon second viewing, it becomes all the more Simpsons like (as do most edgy classic era episodes!) It's political, it tricks the audience, it's got emotional moments, the voice acting is spot on, Homer is loveable, the kids are confused, Marge is no longer annoyingly fiesty and mean (great to see!), Maggie is awesome, the secondary characters have just as much effort put into their lines as OFF, and the voice acting is totally spot on!

It was incredibly well adapted for audiences that may not have even seen the Simpsons much before; possibly the cleverest gag in the whole film is the Church members fleeing to the bar, and the bar-flies rushing to the Church. To make it more obvious what the joke is (religion > alcohol, alcohol > religion), the sign on Moe's says "MOE'S BAR" instead of just "MOE'S".

What's one of my favourite things from the classic era? What have I seen none of in recent episodes? Well see, there's this cat and this mouse...
    Honestly, there was no better way to start the film than with a classic Itchy and Scratchy short. As soon as the screen zoomed to the moon and put on very kids-tv-show animation, I thought "what the hell? am I in the right cinema room?". Then the astronaut turned round, SCRATCHY! That put a smile on my face. My only query about that whole sequence is where the hell was the blood? Very strange.

Bart skateboarding naked... right. In some ways it's very Simpson like, in some ways it's not. See, they completely screw the audience, you think they're being clever and having a "how many ways to cover up a penis" gag. And there is a pretty good one. But near the end, when there is an opening in the bush, the gags been going on long enough for no one in the whole place to expect that has penis is going to show, and it does. And it's not obscene at all given it's a little boys penis; it's just funny. On the other hand, showing any genitalia is quite un Simpsonian; not even Family Guy do that. It's too crude. But then, it's a movie, and besides, if they were allowed to push the boundaries ten to fifteen years ago, why the hell not now?

In the trailers, the "pig crap" silo idea looked really... well, shite. (Get it? No. Ahh.. it's the acoustics). But the way it's introduced makes it pretty good; it makes fun of it's own crudeness. It's self aware.
    Homer: Don't worry Marge, I'm storing it in the most elegant way...
    *cut to overflowing pig crap silo*.

No shortage of monkeys, which is nice to see!

Only thing I wasn't too keen on in the film was Bart's whole thing with Ned... I like bad Bart. Bart did nothing bad in the film really, he was just "troubled". Id've much rather seen him be consoled by Ned, shoot Ned with a slingshot, climb down from the tree and that's that. But then again, some people thought the Bart - Ned plot was a really good B-story, so I guess it works. And it does make for an interesting contrast, and the bad parent who loves his kid really coming through at the end be all the more triumphant-seeming.

Very funny Ralph line; "I like men now".

Green Day's cameo was awesome, they were at the beginning which is good because it means that people who are huge fans won't be sitting through the whole thing thinking "oooh when are Green Day coming on?". I love how they made no exception for Green Day and took the piss very happily. Was that Billie Joe's voice? It sounded so much higher than Billie. Mike and Tre sounded like them, but Billie sounded... like a ten year old? Maybe they added chorus, or maybe he just chose to talk high.

Moe is no longer just pathetic; he's gone back to good old surly as well! Woohoo!

I swear I saw a Life In Hell reference! When OFF are in Alaska (where you can never be too fat or too drunk...), in their hut, Marge turns round, she's upset, and her mouth makes her look excactly like Bongo. Maybe its wishful thinking, but I saw it!

Lisa's whole story was... well, she's changed, there's no doubt about that, but she's still Lisa, and the story was still generally good. I liked the idea of her meeting her intellectual and moral equal, and actually becoming best friends instead of enemies. Nice.

The whole Big Fish reference was really funny; I was thinking "I swear this is Big Fish.." then the siamese twin Japanese wifes came on and made me laugh out loud. Good stuff.

Animation:
    Ok. I'm gonna go ahead and say, I HATE the new stlye Simpsons animation. I think it's lifeless, too clean, and too smooth. Means nothing to me. I loathe it.
    But they're using it, they have to, and as it goes, I suppose it was done pretty well. It was atleast well done computer-rubbish, as opposed to badly-done computer rubbish.

Wow, that sounds like a pretty bad way to end a good review, eh?

Lets add in that Homer is a real person, with moodswings much like a dog (something that made him great a long... long time ago), and is completely loveable.

Oh, and the kickback to early 90s episodes with "Why do Birds..." worked wonderfully.

Best film of 2007. Saw Harry Potter a few days before, which is all well and good, but the Simpsons? Epic. Matt Groening, you are a total genius.

So, the film that has been led up to for eighteen, maybe nineteen years, the film that in many ways, my whole tv-watching life has been leading up to (I'm a member of the generation bought up on Simpsons @ seven from age six, and proud!)...
    ...was a massive comedic success.
    Any question over whether the Simpsons can ever return to form has been answered...
    Hell yes!

Viva le Simpsons, and, in the immortal words of someone far greater and slightly simpler than my self...
    Woohoo!

--Rich
    Last edited by richardUK; 07-27-2007 at 12:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homerpalooza, S7
    Billy Corgan: Hey I'm Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins. *extends hand*
    Homer Simpson: *shakes hand* Hi I'm Homer Simpson, smiling politely. *smiles warmly*

Quote Originally Posted by Wall E. Weasel
    actually i did enjoy the al brooks character, that mad with power quote made me laugh. a bit.

but otherwise it was fucking awful. homer was much more an imbecilic and selfish manchild rather than a well-meaning buffoon and the whole premise was just stupid and full of plot holes (why didn't anyone think to, um, DIG under the big glass dome?). i know it's an old argument but i spose i just didn't enjoy it cos all my favourite episodes are episodes of a sensitive, clever sitcom that just happens to be a cartoon rather than episodes of a wacky cartoon and the film was undeniably wacky.
    The funny thing is that your complaints would be my major ones for seasons 10+. However, I thought this movie made incredible improvements on that. Homer's characterization was spot-on, I felt. He had genuinely emotional moments with Marge and Bart which didn't feel forced to me at all. Besides that, Homer was basically characterized as an extremely careless person who loses sight of what matters and other people's thoughts and feelings. I love how even when he's trying to overcome his shortcomings, he still just can't catch a break, like when he knocks everyone off the rope. He still ends up victorious in the end in redeeming himself though. Basically the whole movie is Homer's story of self-redemption, which is so satisfying to me because there's more than enough episodes in seasons 10+ where he's depicted as either too stupid, too selfish or too much of a general annoying "jerkass" without paying it off with an honest and satisfying form of redemption. For example, episodes of recent years that deal with the marital crisis theme usually have random tie-ups at the end, like the band in a closet in "My Big Fat Geek Wedding" or Homer's little speech to Marge's date in "Regarding Margie". All of the moments that served character and seriousness in this film, however, I thought were perfectly done - as dramatic and effective as emotional episodes like "Lisa's Substitute", "Mother Simpson" and "Homer's Triple Bypass".

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ok then. It was hilariously funny. The animation was incredible. First half hour was awesome in every way. But seriously, it was me or just too many parts of the plot didn't make any sense?

Odd. I need the extended version. Right now. Seriously I enjoyed it. A lot. But at the same time, I can't help but thinking it's pretty flawed plot-wise.

My ranks would be something like this:

Animation...5/5
    Humor...5/5
    Characterizations...4,5/5
    Plot....2,5/5

My main problem is that it had a lot of good parodies of the average blockbuster movie but plotwise had a lot of the problems blockbusters have.

I don't even know what grade I should give it.

Just make the extended version with more Burns scenes and also Patty, Selma and Sideshow Bob. Add some explanations here and there like what the fuck happened to the pig? and it could be a 5/5.

They could fix that up for the dvd. But it won't be the same in a dvd. Oh well.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

The Truth Is Not Out There. Dr. Strangelove's Avatar

Best Simpsons material since the classic era. My only problem is that Russ Cargill and Colin seemed underdeveloped, but i'm sure Colin will be further developed in future seasons. Thats right. He'll be back. 4.5/5

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco
    That was a surreal experience. Wow. I don't feel like analysing it til I see it a second time, but here's some first viewing thoughts:

Praises

- The characterizations were absolutely PERFECT!!
    - The best Marge performance since... I couldn't even say. It has to be at least 10 years, probably even beyond that, maybe EVER. I almost shed a tear during the video scene.
    - Bart was phenomenal. The scene in front of the church with Homer and Ned where Bart says "hey, the guy knows me" sums up Homer and Bart's relationship so well. They have fun together basically, even though Homer can be careless.
    - I don't think a single joke TRULY fell flat. I had least favorite jokes, but I can't even remember them now.
    - There weren't many completely knee-slapping hilarious moments, but there were TONS of jokes and moments that brought more than chuckles. I feel like repeat viewings will just make the humor richer.
    - I'm glad they really refrained from making a million meta-references. They had a great balance with doing one at the start of the movie and then one at the end (Springfield Gorge, with the ambulance).
    - The animation and direction was spectacular.

Criticisms

- As cliche as it's becoming to say this, I wish there were more arbitrary secondary character appearances, notably by Skinner and Burns.
    - Lisa's plot with Colin was truly underdeveloped.
    - Some more time on the "life in Alaska" part of the movie could have been nice as well.
    - More A. Brooks would have been peachy.
    - Homer's epiphany scene could have been done in a more effective way I thought. Mainly, more interaction with the "boob lady" before entering the fantasy sequence would have made the whole thing seem less arbitrary.

I think that's all I can come up with.

The Audience

- Since it was a noon show, my theater (which is big with stadium seating) was about half full. Still good. Unfortunately, a woman brought a misbehaving child into the show and the kid was making noise for the first 20 minutes of the movie before people started yelling "SHUT UP!!!" and they left. Otehrwise the audience was great. Applause for a few different bits, laughter throughout, and then you could tell who the die-hards were by who stayed through the opening credits (which was about 55% of the audience).

All in all, despite a couple things I think could have used improvement, this seemed like the most honest and real depiction of the Simpson family in decade. While it may have not always reached the "classic" level of humor (which mind you we might be idealizing a great deal), it was a completely rewarding and totally surreal experience.

4/5 - may change after more viewing
    kind of waited your review of it. always pleasure to read, jonah! :-)
    latest simpsons news from jukka to you + more
    Powered by Jukka

I said in my b-day thread that I probably won't have a real complete return here...and that still basically stands, but after all this time it WOULD feel a little weird not to at least quickly share my thoughts here about the movie. No long review going into characterization details or whatever, but...

Anyway, I really liked it. A lot. Anyone who's stopped watching out of either disgust or boredom should still check the movie out. I thought it was really hilarious, sweet, satirical and smart. Really, it had everything I wanted out of a Simpsons movie, minus a few characters. Even having stopped watching the new shows, it was a lot of fun going back to Springfield at least one more time, and this is now one of my favorite movies this summer.

So, yeah. Count me as at least one old-school NHCer who thought it was great and definitely worth the wait.

Blog Entries

I saw the midnight showing, but I've been too wiped out today to post anything. It was kinda weird being in a room with that many Simpsons fanatics at once. The guy sitting next to me was shouting random Simpsons characters during the trailer, and Duffman was sitting three rows in front of me. Heh.

Overall, I thought the movie was great. The jokes were really sharp, with a great opening Itchy & Scratchy cartoon. This movie really hit the ground running, in terms of humor. In fact, there were so many great gags that it's hard to pinpoint one that really stood out. I did think that the jokes got progressively more inconsistent as the movie went on, but it's a minor squabble... Especially since the second half of the movie tended to have the best character moments.

Characterization-wise, it was pretty flawless. All the characters were true to themselves. It was also nice to see the return of "Nice Guy Ned," who was much more endearing in the movie. He was still corny and square, but without all that religious commentary that's been plaguing his character of late.

I felt like the plot was all over the place sometimes, but I liked how tightly the story was written in some places. I really liked the callback to the sandbox sinkhole, and the later callback to Homer's motorcycle tricks. The motorcycle seemed really random at the time (that's how they got a truck?), so it was good to see that they went somewhere with it.

I wish they would've addressed one of the minor plotholes in the movie. I feel like a huge internet nerd for even asking the question, but it's worth mentioning. Since the Simpsons escaped through the sinkhole, why couldn't the Springfielders just dig a tunnel under the dome? It's a question that they could've easily answered, with a cutaway joke about tunneling or something. Maybe I give the citizens of Springfield too much credit.

I was surprised at what a small role that Lisa played in the movie. She didn't really do much to move the plot along, and was just "kinda there" the whole movie. It's not really a complaint, but it was surprising nonetheless.

Overall, I really enjoyed this movie. After seeing this, I feel strangely (and probably unfoundedly) optimistic about Season 19.

A-

formerly shutupa yo face moneychair2003's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jims
    I wish they would've addressed one of the minor plotholes in the movie. I feel like a huge internet nerd for even asking the question, but it's worth mentioning. Since the Simpsons escaped through the sinkhole, why couldn't the Springfielders just dig a tunnel under the dome? It's a question that they could've easily answered, with a cutaway joke about tunneling or something. Maybe I give the citizens of Springfield too much credit.
    it wouldve been alot of concrete to tunnel through. they'd need jackhammers to break through it or dynamite and considering springfield was under the dome itd be impossible for them to find that.
    Check out my NFL blog. I write articles about every upcoming match, my predictions for those matches, what games are worth watching, and about everything else happening in the NFL. http://backbayfuturesportsmanagers.com/

http://www.reddit.com/user/ac519/

Bad Babysitter

4/5

I was relieved, very relieved. I was close to wetting myself just before the film because i was so nervous. I thought it was going to be crap. I was wrong. Very wrong!

The animation was first class; faultless. The jokes were great. There were a few surprises; Otto's bong hit (which me and my friends laughed a little bit too hard at causing the other cinema-goers to play a game of 'spot the stoners'), Homer flipping the bird, correction, two birds and, well, and Bart's penis!

The film, of course, wasn't the Simpsons' finest hour, but after 18 years of hilarity i'm sure the writers can be forgiven for having already used their best material. Plus i was slightly dissapointed by the lack of Mr. Burns and the Ralph Wiggum jokes could have been better (apart from the 20th century fox one - classic). I wish Lisa had been involved a little bit more, but her parts were all brilliant. It was nice to see her eventually punch Bart in the face!

I'm sure, like many episodes of the Simpson's, this will be a 'grower'. I'm already looking forward to going to see it again and, undoubtedly, i will spot some more jokes that i didn't the first time around.

So, Thankyou Matt Groening etc. for not letting me down, but then you never have before, so why would you start now?!
    ~SiNGiNG iS THe LoWeST FoRM oF CoMMuNiCaTioN~

I saw it this morning, first showing I could find. There weren't too many people there, but that's understandable. People don't usually go to movies first thing in the morning.

It was awesome.

First of all, big sigh of relief. Bart's flashing wasn't as disturbing as I feared. In fact, it was actually funny. The Simpsons are always making fun of cartoon cliches (such as obscuring nudity with random objects) so the joke was actually pretty brilliant.

Best surprise laugh: "Just throw the goddamn bomb!" I usually hate it when Marge gets vulgar but this was just hysterical.

10/10 from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka
    kind of waited your review of it. always pleasure to read, jonah! :-)
    Thanks Jukka!

Quote Originally Posted by DotheBartman
    I said in my b-day thread that I probably won't have a real complete return here...and that still basically stands, but after all this time it WOULD feel a little weird not to at least quickly share my thoughts here about the movie. No long review going into characterization details or whatever, but...

Anyway, I really liked it. A lot. Anyone who's stopped watching out of either disgust or boredom should still check the movie out. I thought it was really hilarious, sweet, satirical and smart. Really, it had everything I wanted out of a Simpsons movie, minus a few characters. Even having stopped watching the new shows, it was a lot of fun going back to Springfield at least one more time, and this is now one of my favorite movies this summer.

So, yeah. Count me as at least one old-school NHCer who thought it was great and definitely worth the wait.
    Happy to see you liked it so much. I know we differed on lots of new episode discussions before you left.

9.5/10
    -------
    Never bored. Always laughing. Great story. It would be 10/10 if it were maybe twenty minutes longer. But I loved it! Me and the rest of the audience were lauphing. But when they had the black jokes a few walked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony DiFrancesco
    But when they had the black jokes a few walked out.
    That's ridiculous.

Junior Camper

Well, I posted my review on the first page of this thread, and after reading all the other posts that came after, I am even more excited about this film.

I wasn't merely hoping this film would turn out okay, and to say that I would have been slightly disappointed if it sucked is a gross understatement. I would have been devastated. I would have been crushed. I would have cursed Matt Groening's name forever more for not producing the movie earlier in the show's run. I would have resolved to never watch another new episode ever again.

When I went into the movie yesterday, I was literally nervous. I had that butterflies-in-the-stomach feeling, and as midnight drew closer, a hint of nausea crept up on me. Was I taking this movie too seriously? Perhaps, but there was nothing I could do to turn off my feelings.

Once the movie kicked off, though, relief almost immediately overtook me. Just the first five minutes alone was enough to assure me that this movie was going to kick ass. And I wasn't expecting that at all. I figured that at best, I would smile throughout, and maybe laugh occasionally. But no, this movie had me laughing harder than I have in a very long time. Imagine, new Simpsons material being worth all those laughs - never would I have seen it coming!

I am relieved at how amazing this movie has proven to be. It is once again a joyous time to be a fan of The Simpsons, and I shall once again declare it proudly. The great response from both fans and critics alike is a great treat to read, and I wish to now congratulate Matt Groening, James L. Brooks, and everyone else for the wonderful triumph their little movie is.

Is anybody else here now really excited about season nineteen? Perhaps it is very, very foolish of me to to feel that way, but this movie has proven that The Simpsons is still capable brilliance, and my faith in this series has been fully restored. At least for now. Anyone else feel similarly?

Pin Pal

Excellent film. While there were a few jokes I didn't like at all (Kent Brockman's Botox, the last appearance of the Alaskan Shaman), the movie more than made up for it with its lightning pace, quick and hilarious jokes, and very tight and controlled narrative.

4.5/5.

For those wondering why they didn't tunnel under the dome:

It was addressed when Albert Brooks' character posted armed guards all around the dome in response to OFF tunneling their way out. He posted the guards ("Tough/Soft/Soft/Tough/Tough/Soft") to prevent more escapes.
    ***All Hail Al Jean, the Holy One***

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

DoTheBartman, nice to see a surprise post from you, and glad to hear that you liked it.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Quote Originally Posted by Universal Polymath
    Is anybody else here now really excited about season nineteen? Perhaps it is very, very foolish of me to to feel that way, but this movie has proven that The Simpsons is still capable brilliance, and my faith in this series has been fully restored. At least for now. Anyone else feel similarly?
    I was thinking it might take a bit for more truly awesome material to come from the show, since they'd have probably been focusing on the movie for the writing process of season 19 episodes. Perhaps I'm wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbelgarion
    It was addressed when Albert Brooks' character posted armed guards all around the dome in response to OFF tunneling their way out. He posted the guards ("Tough/Soft/Soft/Tough/Tough/Soft") to prevent more escapes.
    I forgot about that bit entirely. Well observed about the escape prevention as well.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by ERT
    I was thinking it might take a bit for more truly awesome material to come from the show, since they'd have probably been focusing on the movie for the writing process of season 19 episodes. Perhaps I'm wrong?
    Oh yeah, I aware that my confidence in season nineteen is a bit unfounded, it's just a gut feeling I have now that I can't shake.

You know, it would be a dream come true if they just fired the entire current writing staff and continued to produce episodes with the eleven screenplay writers of the movie. Even if it meant a few less episodes a year, it would be so worth it. Oh, and Mirkin would have to be EP again.

Of course, it will never happen, but it's a fun dream to hold on to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco
    That's ridiculous.
    I know. a few black people got pissed and walked out. "Black is the worst color there is" and "Finally the rich white man has power." But, hey... can ye blame them?

Blog Entries

Back from work and time to review!

The plot: Alright, so it turns out everyone was right in the first place: glass dome, contamination...pig crap. (back when S9 DVD animatic was out, I posted about this, worried, but someone assured me that the Simpsons movie will not revolve around a silo of pig crap ) The pacing that takes us through this journey is incredibly fast, as the barrage of jokes seems like its more important to the screenwriters than steady storytelling. While effective, it kinda seems off and rather predictable in spots, and I was hoping much more in the Homer-saves-the-day finale, especially the Russ Cargill connection, but let's save that for characters. Lisa's plot, cute, but very lacking. The strange thing is that the producers kept talking about Lisa's "ill-fated romance". Colin and her seem to run off happy together...jesus, are we going to have Lisa/Colin subplots in the show's future? Because if so.... Bart and Flanders was genuis though, and while Bart did seem to rush back to his father a bit too quickly, it made sense both joke-wise and story-wise, so its all good. Marge/Homer...what to say about this one? Beautifully played off, and some of the most emotional moments to come out of the franchise since "Mother Simpson". Unfortunately, Homer's epiphany scene happens way too immediately and comically. Something more epic would've been better than him being slapped by a bunch of trees. Overall, the plot held the film together, but that's really where it ended, and let the overabundance of jokes thrive.

Humor: If the Simpsons Movie has a weakness, it's definetly plot development. On the extreme opposite, there lies the humor. This film is easily the funniest flick out there in theaters today. The comedy blows Chuck and Larry out of the water; hell, compared to this, Chuck and Larry is a dark, depressing drama! My packed theater could NOT stop laughing with delight. So many good jokes, it would just be fruitless to list them all, as I'm sure the IMDB quote thread will do quite effectively. I asked my sister to describe the movie afterward and she simply said, "It's really, really, really, really, really (breath) really, really funny." The presence of old writers could be felt, but the bad could be noticed as well (book club scene was Jean-esque, and a couple Scully-like gags that I can't really remember)...the movie may have never achieved a feeling of going back to the classic era (though I think the animation has something to do with that), but it was at least funny as hell.

Characters: I start by listing the new characters and what I thought about each.
    -Colin: A good sensible (finally!) match for Lisa, however just like the plot he was in, he's way too undeveloped to catch my real attention. Maybe they're waiting for the show to feature him.
    -Plopper: It's humorous that the first time that Homer calls this pig by the simple name of Plopper, it's his last appearance in the entire thing! For such an already loved pig, Plopper gets surprisingly very little screentime and is apparently killed off. I guess you were never supposed to get attached to him, so if that's the point, well done writers.
    -Prez Arnold: Funny, but should've been Wolfcastle. That's all I'm gonna say.
    -Boob Lady: Listen, I'm all for random characters, but couldn't she have even a single smidge of an explaination?! They just let you assume about this, didn't they?
    -Russ Cargill: Hmm...I'm sorry, but am I the only one who thought that Russ Cargill was an awful villian? His eccentric quality was working for me in the beginning, but he should've had more screentime and acting more menacing towards the end, like all great villians do. Albert Brooks did a fantastic performance, though, but still he was disappointing. Especially the fact that they only let you connect the dots between Cargill and the New Grand Canyon project. To effectively measure up the antagonist's evil plan, why did they not let him introduce the plan himself to the Springfielders? That would've felt like more of a threat to me, but then again, you don't get a chance to have Tom Hanks be in your animated movie everyday, now do you?
    Okay, now for the golden oldies!
    -Homer: Good characterization, and almost a return to his classic self. Dan did a great job with the voice acting, yet I will still mention that Homer's epiphany was way, way too lame. Depressed because trees are pulling his body apart? Yawn...give me something more exciting.
    -Bart: This was by far the most intresting character in the movie. This was 100% classic era Bart, complete with slingshot! (which, I assume, was put in there for newcomers and such) The writers hit the nail on the head with him, and I can't say much else.
    -Marge: Julie Kavner...is an amazing voice actress. That is all.
    -Lisa: Can somebody please tell me why Lisa is so featured in the beginning, but by the end she's almost a background prop? (except, of course, for the end Colin scene, which was what? Thirty seconds?) Anyways, for her beginning stuff, she was pretty good, and I thought Yeardley's noises she made after Lisa faints was kinda funny.
    -Maggie: The sandbox thing was pretty clever, but smashing Cargill with a boulder at the end was far too random and seemed like an excuse to have Homer deliver a funny line. Good as always, bit of a lack of pacifier sucking.
    -Flanders: Kind and good-hearted as always, but I did like him insulting Rod near the end of the movie. Rod tearing up made it all the more sweeter. Anyways, his bonding with Bart was well-done, yet the church scene should've gone more smoothly than it did. I don't know why, but I feel as if something was off then.
    -Comic Book Guy: I just have to comment on him because some guys in the front of the audience had to whoop and holler everytime he came on screen, so I missed a lot of his lines, probably all. Hopefully I hear them tonight.
    -Mr. Burns/Smithers: End credits made me realize they should've had way, way more screentime. If the sequel ends up happening, Burns needs to be the villian simply for the conversation between this pair.
    -Dr. Nick: Umm...okay, funny joke, I get it, but...why? Was it really worth it?
    -The Dome: Being almost a character in itself, I just have to say that glass domes = funny. I would've never thought about that until now.
    -Itchy: No blood. Why no blood?
    -Scratchy: "I'm telling" The short was funny, though.
    -Ralph: "I like men now" got the biggest laugh in the movie. Good ol' reliable Ralph!

O-kay, that should about do it. Overall, I need to see it a second time to fully get the scope, but I'm sure my 4/5 rating won't change. The way the movie was presented was very anarchic, akin to Grelimins 2, with jokes and setups that work only in a theater and looking very odd on the small screen. I suppose this is a plus when trying to distance yourself from the TV show, but seeing as how after this summer the movie will live on DVD, and eventually TV, the move will not come off smoothly. Things like Frink saying "Movie, on the big screen!" will feel strange when played on TV, as will the Fox ticker and Homer in the theater. Sure, the aformentioned Gremlins 2 still runs the Hulk Hogan/theater scene when running on television, but Simpsons has way, way more of this humor. Hopefully the sequel (if there is one) will be more straightfoward in its cinematic experience. That aside, it's a really, really funny film that will be treasured for ages. The enviromental theme already guarantees an Academy Award nomination, but fortunately that's not the only reason it's worthy of the honor. I really hope that it's a huge hit so we can get what everybody, including Maggie, is waiting for...number two!

And, if you haven't heard it already, 4/5...
    Last edited by Ryan; 07-27-2007 at 02:49 PM.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

For some reason I couldn't stop laughing at the rich white man has power line, and it didn't get so much as a chuckle from anyone else in the theatre.

Here’s a review I wrote for another message board I post on. I’ll probably write a better one later after I’ve seen the movie again.

The Simpsons Movie

Was defiantly much better then the current episodes (which are not as bad as most people seem to say, but they are obviously a little bland more often then not). I really loved the darker humour of the kind we don't usually see on the show, at least to this extent. Lisa punching Bart in the face, Bart Drinking, Man crushed to death, Disney esk sexual set up scene...to name just a few. The movie really heartened back to the classic Tracy Ulmand shorts and Matt Groening’s “Life in Hell” comic strip, which really do pull no punches when you compare them to the regular show.

The story was epic no doubt about it, the first 10 or so minutes I was thinking that it was really just a stretched out episode, but once the movie took off it really got going. The jokes were great and there were a share of laugh out loud moments that really had me in stitches. I was also interested to see that their were many jokes that went over the audience heads which I thought were really funny but no one else seemed to laugh at. I guess its one of those movies that has so many gags packed into it that different people will laugh at different things.

While I'm not sure that the big screen necessarily makes this a better movie, it is certainly well written with outstanding looking animation that can kick the crap out of any CGI toon as far as I’m concerned. Make sure to stay until the end, the credits are full of funny moments from the characters, and the very end sequence (that only me and my friend stayed for in the theatre) couldn’t have been better when it even caused the cleaning crew to laugh. 7/10

Yay, DTB came back. I'm glad to see you liked it too. I have always loved reading your reviews(I wish you'd write a longer one though ), and I have always trusted your opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, after waiting over 15 years, I've finally seen the Simpsons movie and was it worth the wait. Thankfully for the most part, yes.

What the Movie has that the current (last nine seasons) has lacked is genuine sentiment. Not only did it run the whole run of gamut of emotions, the pacing and the jokes were very well done, IMO. The animation rounded off a very polished and entertaining package. If there were any complaints, it'd be Homer's pain gags were a tad bit too many and Albert Brooks's character was mostly unfunny, IMO.

Was it a 10/10? Nope, "The Lion King" and "The Incredilbes" still rank higher than the Simpsons Movie, for me. But as it stands, I'd give the OFF movie a 9/10 (A minus).

The only part I disliked was Lisa in love with that guy. It was... a little off. though at the end with Milhouse... it was funny.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

I was jumping back and forth between 4.5/5 and 5/5 for a bit, but went with the latter - partly because I'm generally a pretty easy-going reviewer, and partly because I care more about characterizations than anything else and, as has been said quite a few times before, everyone was in top form.

I got into the theatre wearing my orange t-shirt and blue capris (don't own any shorts), and saw a guy a few rows ahead of me watching an earlier episode - later identified as Homer's Night Out - on a portable DVD player while waiting for the movie to start. And I just looked at it and thought, yeah, that's exactly the right way to go into this movie. The movie was around half-full I guess, and there were huge bursts of laughter quite frequently. It was nice for me to hear not only myself laughing at the ambulance still there after the gorge scene (which was truly a great bit), but the thing that annoyed me a bit was that there was pre-meditated laughter, if you can call it that - some people were laughing in advance to Homer hitting himself in the eye or the standard electrocution gag. But overall, the movie was pretty freaking funny and I laughed more than I expected to (and when I wasn't, I generally just had this really stupid grin on my face the whole time). It's just too much of a shame that at the beginning, the screen was messed up and the bottom/top thing wasn't quite working (the top of the scene was appearing at the bottom of the screen). Fortunately, that was fixed pretty quickly into the movie (at least the whole crowd was horrified at this).

I'm a little iffy on some points though... The first bits were great. I loved seeing Springfield up on the big screen, and the secondary characters, but I'm largely disappointed at the absence of quite a few of them. I would've liked to see a few more scenes showing how desolate and broken Springfield had become (REALLY would've liked to see that scene that was shown in the trailers, with Kent broadcasting a report as he cringes away from an explosion off to the side), but I loved them all for the most part. Everyone who WAS shown was great, and Cletus was the best he's ever been as far as I'm concerned. I just wish there was a little... more. The movie felt a little lacking to me there, but that's perfectly okay. A lot of it really went by me... I need to see it again. Though Russ Cargill also felt a little lacking to me. Still, he was just fine and thank god Albert Brooks was in the movie.

I was worried about the Green Day bits, but it was great that the movie opened with the traditional theme - thank god - and faded into the Green Day theme (and that the singing wasn't all that horrible - that was great, too). That and the American Idiot (Funeral Version) bit. It was great. Same thing with the Tom Hanks cameo. It wasn't overdone, it didn't suck, it was genuinely funny, hooray! Also, Itchy and Scratchy? That was great. That was a wonderful cartoon. Oh, yes.

Grampa completely randomly dropped out of the movie pretty quickly, I'm confused about Colin and Plopper, so seeing loose ends like that didn't leave me feeling as satisfied as I could've been, but repeat viewings will probably take care of that.

And of course, the animation was superb. The 2D mixed with 3D didn't even bug me as much as things like that usually do. Maybe I was just way too into it to even really notice properly, but it all looked... good. Really, really good. The animation was so beautiful and a lot of the scenes were gorgeous.

Refuse to hold back on this any longer: Characterizations. Perfect. Absolutely perfect. Bart's my favourite character, not just in the show but for every fictional character this is out there, and... it was so great to see him the way he was. He was still mischievous in places, and he was used well in-line. The drunk bit didn't bug me as much as it seems to have with some of you, at least he had a good line into it that left me feeling it was okay, though I was a bit shocked that they actually had drunk Bart in there. His actions with Homer and Flanders were completely beautiful. The opening scenes were great with that... I loved it. They were happy together, and Homer's selfishness with avoiding the blame didn't make him out to be completely awful... but it was still great to see and it gave Bart a good motive, especially when it was directly contrasted with Flanders right after. It was also kinda sad to see Bart's reactions when fishing with Flanders, and the very end hardly sets things right at all... But it's better like that. Bart's happy with his real father. He knows him. And I loved that. (Also, Bart waving a picture of Flanders' in Homer's face and taunting him with it... wow. Loved that as well.)

The most emotional moment of the movie was definitely Marge going over the video tape. I loved the fact that she actually went back into the house to take the time to go get it... It really did show a lot of her commitment, and it made the scene with her leaving Homer even more powerful. Speaking of that, the contrast between Marge's tearful goodbye to him, and then seeing them happily newly wed on the video was pretty freaking powerful as well. Marge's voice acting will never be that good again, and honestly, I don't think it was ever that good before. It was beautiful. The best Marge has ever been, it goes right up there with so many moments from classic seasons, and at the moment, I'm viewing it as the best marriage crisis problem ever. It felt so more powerful, real, and serious than any moment I'm trying to think up on the show right now.

Homer's selfishness was hardly that bad at all. I felt he really did have a legitimate reason to say "screw Springfield" and try to completely turn his back on it (and on that note... him flipping everyone off was GREAT). His epiphany was great as well, and pretty well done, and I did like his talking to himself as he struggled through Alaska. He was... so well-done in this. He was selfish and a jerk, but it was funny. He was a caring and loving husband and father, he was so easy to sympathize with. He was genuine and perfect and the best Homer in recent years. He was a good guy, a family man misguided a touch, but he came around and had his big moment. I've always loved seeing Homer accomplish his goals, even the more retarded ones, and while I generally do love it on a smaller scale, here was a lot bigger, and it took away some of the charm, but still... it was wonderful to see him finally redeem himself. But more than that, I loved seeing him completely broken upon discovering that Marge had left him, the way he floated out on the heart-shaped piece of ice... It really added to him. It made him more lovable and pitiful. I really, really felt for him.

Lisa wasn't used too much, which was a bit of a disappointment. Still, where she was used, like that scene where she shouts "You monster! You monster!" at Homer (beautiful voice acting, great emotion), it was great. She wasn't a complete PC thug, she was smitten a little and this is the one of the greatest Lisa-gets-a-crush bits there ever was. It was fun to watch and she played a good role with the environmental theme. While Colin was hardly expanded upon, I liked him. He and Lisa worked great together, and the moment where the two were separated by the dome was great as well (even her punching out Bart).

Maggie was fun. I'm happy she had a role. Even in the very end it was great (reminded me quite a bit of Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge). The sinkhole bit with her was fun. I love Maggie being a happy, oblivious baby, and it's also fun to see her being a hero. Her saying "Sequel?" was cute and worked (actually, the ending credits as a whole worked pretty damn well in general).

I loved the family in this, and it truly was befitting of a movie. The characterizations were flawless, the movie was funny, and I am now done talking and will shut up. I can't wait for the DVD though. I want to see the deleted scenes, I want to hear the commentary-- I want to see the movie again. 5/5. Very solid. Great. Above all, enjoyable - and that's all I'm really asking for.

Thread Information