View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
301. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

57 18.94%
  • 4/5

98 32.56%
  • 3/5

75 24.92%
  • 2/5

47 15.61%
  • 1/5

24 7.97%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "You Kent Always Say What You Want" (JABF15)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Veryjammy, did you watch 24 minutes? I'm interested in your review. Also, what's your grade for "Kent"? I guess it's pretty low, but still, I would like to know. I haven't watched this one yet.
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 05-21-2007 at 11:27 AM.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by iceiwynd
    Chuckles Manson - I don't have much of a problem with the way Ned was used myself, but I do think that it would have worked better with some random character, yeah. Like in Crook and Ladder, we had the guy in the burning building saying that "The REAL problem is gays are getting married!" or something like that... that worked. I miss goody-goody slightly push-overy Ned.
    Thanks for answering.
    I miss the goody-goody slightly push-overy Ned as well.

I wonder, now that they've taken Ned in the other direction so far, could he ever go back to being that way? What I mean is, now that Ned's character has a history of being a reactionary (and even bordering on homophobic/bigoted) inserted into the show's history; if they tried to bring it back to a simpler Ned, I don't think that I would be able buy it. His character now seems to have baggage, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Jeff Vader; 05-21-2007 at 12:57 PM.
    Greatest post ever:
    "SLAYER DOESNT SUE PEOPLE SLAYER DOESNT PISS AND MOAN ABOUT BEING CELEBRITYS SLAYER DOESNT DO SHIT BUT OWN YOUR FUCKING ASS AND THEYVE BEEN DOING IT FOR ALMOST AS LONG AS METALLICA THATS WHY IT SHOULDVE BEEN GUITAR HERO SLAYER INSTEAD OF GUITAR HERO SELLOUT OLD FUCKS BUT FUCK IT ROCK BAND OWNS GUITAR HERO ANYWAY"
    quoth the Zodiac Motherfucker, The Onion A.V. Club

Music freaks join me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Morgodth

It was decent but the ending RUINED it! 2/5

Though they did address a question I've always had which is why Fox News is conservative but the network channel is gross
    You gotta do this one for me, Billy. McGarnagle!
    I'm just like Lisa!
    I'm Lisa, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Purple Monkey Dishwasher Lionel Mclure's Avatar

I guess it doesn't it doesn't matter thet much, but for some reason I desperately want to know, what does Kent actually say?
    Oh please, this is senseless destruction, with none of my usual social commentary
    -Bart Simpson

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One of them is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere.Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville? I needed a new heel for m'shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what we called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt-which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. "Gimme five bees for a quarter,"you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah. The important thing was I had an onion tied to my belt-which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. All you could get was those big yellow ones....

I thought the episode was okay. "24 Minutes" was so much better.

3.5/5

4/5- I liked the Opening with the Ullman short. I loved all the Fox jokes and the ending was pretty Dam funny. The episode felt kind of short though.

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy
    I knew it after The Monkey Suit last season, but this just proves that the show is completely dead as a satirical force, and I don't think that's hyperbolic at all.
    False. Watch 24 Minutes.

Pageant of the Transmundane Homerpalooza's Avatar

4/5

Not as good as 24 Minutes. In fact, it comes across as poor in comparison to that and because it's the 400th episode.

I didn't mind the commentary. The Simpsons typically has trouble doing that tastefully, and at least in this case, they devoted a couple scenes to Lisa talking about it to Homer and Kent rather than a throwaway line or two.

The plotting was, unfortunately, all over the place. I liked Marge and Maggie pictionary, but I felt it was a missed opportunity to have another Maggie/Ling moment. The dentist stuff was funny, I think Ludocrest was my favorite part of the episode. The main story with Kent just didn't come in soon enough to have the weight it should've.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles Manson
    Note, I say right wing. Flanders was always a christian, but in early seasons he was the easy going (somewhat liberal *gasp) christian with the beer kegs in his basement and who put the consideration of others above himself.
    You're right, in the early seasons, Ned considers himself a proud "leftie"

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Mclure
    I guess it doesn't it doesn't matter thet much, but for some reason I desperately want to know, what does Kent actually say?
    Well since they never come right out and say it, I guess it's up to our imaginations.

Quote Originally Posted by iceiwynd
    Sounds a tad too much like South Park to me right there... Actually, that sounds exactly like something that they'd have done.
    That's exactly what bothered me about it. Maybe something less direct (sleepy faced garden tools? lol).

rewatched it, holy shit, even worse than before, what an ungodly turd of an episode. why the hell did they waste all that time at the fucking dentist before starting the plot. one of the worst attempts at satire i've ever seen.

D-

rewatched it, holy shit, even worse than before, what an ungodly turd of an episode. why the hell did they waste all that time at the fucking dentist before starting the plot. one of the worst attempts at satire i've ever seen.

D-

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan
    You're right, in the early seasons, Ned considers himself a proud "leftie"

He does indeed.

great episode that I really enjoyed. A lot of the jokes really made me laugh like when Homer gets the millionth ice cream cone and the end was hilarious. A great end to the season. It was better than 24 minutes.

Why Can't We Be Friends? The Southern Dandy's Avatar

Ned's change in character actually makes sense logically if you blame it on the death of his wife. I can imagine someone dealing with such a tragedy by becoming reactionary, grumpy, and neurotic in ways they never had before, even a guy who was the most complete living embodiment of "relentlessly open-minded and friendly neighbour" ever like Ned Flanders was. But don't get me wrong...I'm not defending this change in Ned Flanders or even saying I like it or think it's a good idea - I'm just offering my theory of an explanation for why it happened.
    10 Favourites

Uhhh....I'll be back! Pruh-Probably.

Blog Entries

I just watched it. It wasn't exactly bad, several jokes and set pieces were entertaining enough, but the story didn't seem to have too much of a point. Kent was introduced very late and the resolution felt pretty incomplete. Last gag could have been decent but it was too long IMO. Kent Brockman is a good character that deserved a better story. Anyway, I guess it can get a pass. I loved the Raising Arizona parody (they have that easy with me, cause it's one of my fave movies), characterizations were ok, except for Ned (I also thought that was going to be a gag against us, internet nerds). I don't really mind him watching the tapes so much, but that mad behaviour in front of his kids was really low, especially for him.

Meh...about a C or something like that.

Well since they never come right out and say it, I guess it's up to our imaginations.
    In the context of the conversation he was having with Homer, the most likely candidates are "bitch" and "motherfucker" (what other swear word can finish the sentence "that hurt like a..."?), and it's probably the latter since it sounded like he said two words, or at least a word with two syllables.

I understand why people might argue that the show should have had the balls to make the word audible since The Simpsons has been around long enough to not have to worry about getting in trouble for its content, but I think having the word uncensored would have probably just seemed like a cheap/lazy shock tactic to get the 400th episode more attention/controversy, and it wouldn't fit on The Simpsons, even though the show has had its share of crudeness in the past.

I thought it was both shocking and hilarious in "Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story" when Peter Griffin said "You know what really grinds my gears? You, America...FUCK you!", because it was in character with Peter Griffin and fit with the more obscene nature of Family Guy. Blatant swearing just wouldn't seem as natural on The Simpsons. I think the best use of cursing on The Simpsons was in the "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" episode when Homer obviously said "fuck", but it was censored in a very funny and creative way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Southern Dandy
    I understand why people might argue that the show should have had the balls to make the word audible.
    I don't think anyone is arguing that. What a stupid idea.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

Ned's attitude is really not my biggest gripe with the episode. Like I said, its so self referential and almost one big meta-joke in itself that its hard to critisize it seriously. I can definitely see it as kind of annoying for fans of the character, and heck I don't really like derranged activist Flanders much either. I think since we've seen so much of D.A.Flanders lately that it may have made this sort of hit a bit harder than if it were just a tongue in cheek joke in just this episode.

It does sort of make a strange, terrible bit of sense for Maude's death to change Ned into this more anal direction though I have to admit, although its still a bit extreme and before this episode it usually just leads to really kind of paper thin critisism of conservativism.

But like I said its not really my main gripe with this episode. It just felt really weird thats all, its almost like two short episodes in one special. One started in the beginning, ended in the middle. The one with kent then started in the middle and ended near the end. As said though, it is also a very strangely self-aware feeling episode which is really the best way to put it.

Having just watched it again, I'm still a little disappointed in the drab KB storyline, but I want to single out for special mention the great Marge running scene at the beginning. Very complicated and well executed. Must have been a doozy to plot out and get together. It's one of those scenes that offer so much, I had to stop & rewind many times to catch favorite bits...
    I liked the Alligators down in the sewer!

Drunk Barney is seen laying just behind them. I wondered if he'd be safe, lying passed out like that, with deadly reptiles nearby??
    Last edited by Gatorgod; 05-22-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coltonwiggum
    I don't think anyone is arguing that. What a stupid idea.
    Yes, someone argued that. My post was in response to it:

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlandersMan
    And once again, the Staff completely botched a chance to be bold; Instead of having Kent actually saying something audible, they go for the tame, cliche sound effect gag. That's playing it safe, and that's laziness. Kent not saying an audible swear word wasn't a necessity, but it would have gave the episode more credibility. They had the oppertunity to make a monkey out of the media, some social commentary on censorship but went the other route of crazy "let's bash Fox" gags.

Stranger in this town Greased Scotsman's Avatar

Did anyone spot Kang/Kodos on the wall of visitors? Is this a reference to THOH XVIII or have they stayed in the Simpsons' house before?
    One of the few who still enjoys new episodes of The Simpsons.

Quote Originally Posted by The Southern Dandy
    In the context of the conversation he was having with Homer, the most likely candidates are "bitch" and "motherfucker" (what other swear word can finish the sentence "that hurt like a..."?), and it's probably the latter since it sounded like he said two words, or at least a word with two syllables.
    Good point. Any theories on the swear Skinner taught Bart in the other episode?

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Good point. Any theories on the swear Skinner taught Bart in the other episode?
    The word that starts with a "pr" and rhymes with "stick," perhaps? When used as a verb, it's not a swear, only as a noun, and it fits in the context of Skinner's sentence.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

but i'm a vampire General Jack D. Ripper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Metroidmike9
    great episode that I really enjoyed. A lot of the jokes really made me laugh like when Homer gets the millionth ice cream cone and the end was hilarious. A great end to the season. It was better than 24 minutes.
    Seriously? Seriously? SERIOUSLY?????

Junior Camper

I agree with the general sentiment that Kent's story needed a lot more meat that could have been easily gained by trimming down the first act, and having the main issue brought up early in the episode with Kent's "offensive" remark. The best part I thought was the fact that Kent was so sure he was fried afterward, but it turned out no one watched his program, or at least no one complained about it if they did, until a puritan fanatic (played by Ned) makes it known after going through it with a fine tooth comb.

Unfortunately the issue doesn't really get explored much, but at least makes an attempt to expose the hypocracies of the FCC in a web video. A lot more could have been done with Kent and Lisa taking action instead of it being resolved in the instant they cause a ripple with Kent beign hired back. It really felt rushed.

2.5/5

Also, is this the first regular episode that had Homer speaking direcly to the viewer, complete with white background?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing
    So why the heck did he need to sleep on the Simpsons' couch?
    Marge was afraid he'd commit suicide

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Yeah, but Homer also spoke to the viewer in Screaming Yellow Honkers, as well as several THOHs (and Bart and Marge and Troy McClure in other THOHs and the Spinoff/138th episode).

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    Marge was afraid he'd commit suicide
    I think the correct term is "you-know-what-icide".
    Last edited by Paul; 05-21-2007 at 11:22 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm thinking I was perhaps too generous with my grade. I forgot to mention the dentist gags. They were not only a waste of time, they were also pretty unfunny and lame for the most part. Skinner's scene was extremely poor, it was just Bart acting like Daffy Duck/Bugs Bunny with Skinner being Elmer, but that would have been good, this was just the same type of thing but in the most uninspired and unfunny way. I like Bart's pranks and his mean attitude but this is cartoony violence that doesn't really fit with his character. It was like Itchy and Scratchy without the funny cartoony gags. Luda-Crest thing was a little better, but meh.

Like Jimbo said it seemed that every piece of unrelated things in the first act needed a context, and everything that happened in the other two acts needed a meta-joke about it...everything seemed way more important than the real plot of the episode. It makes you wonder why they chose that plot idea in the first place if they didn't care about it at all.

In fact, even if there is a chance they weren't his ideas, I would say both the Skinner at the dentist scene and the dog with the lazy eye gags were typical Tim Long, his episodes usually contain this kind of odd, not-so-relevant neither very funny jokes that get a lot of attention for very little reason.

I guess the episode was trying desperately to be a meta-joke like Itchy, Scratchy and Poochie. All the Fox bashing tried to mirror the situation with Brockman. But you have to care about the main story first, then you can include the meta-joke too; if the main story doesn't have a point the meta-joke about the story seems uneffective.
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 05-22-2007 at 02:45 AM.

Thread Information