View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
301. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

57 18.94%
  • 4/5

98 32.56%
  • 3/5

75 24.92%
  • 2/5

47 15.61%
  • 1/5

24 7.97%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "You Kent Always Say What You Want" (JABF15)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I liked the poor dog with the lazy eyes, Dracula was still the most pathetic loser-member of the Evil rich republican Illuminati, Bart's shoving a giant tooth in Skinners mouth, Homer trying to tell us about Fox news and getting censured was a gas! All good stuff.
    I'm afraid I'm gonna hafta give this Ep a 4/5 tho,...
    Kent Brockman dominating the 400th episode storyline was not how I envisioned they'd squander that landmark episode. ..It should've went to a sure hitter like Mr Burns or Krusty.
    They should have switched the episodes around and made the 24 spoof the 400th
    Oh Well

Didn't like the ending at all. Some of the satire was decent, but it wasn't anything brilliant. Too blunt. Brockman didn't have any depth added to his character at all. The Fox stuff was sort of funny, but I just didn't think it was that well done. C-

Blog Entries

This episode was the exact opposite of 24 Minutes for me. I thought the episode's story was significantly weaker in this episode, but the jokes were much, much stronger. They had a few clunkers in there, but nothing too major to whine about. I also really liked the animation when Marge was running home. Nice Raising Arizona reference too.

The whole "guest moves in" story wasn't that inspired, and Kent's character wasn't fleshed out much. But, overall, a decent showing. 3/5.

I'm not sure whether I liked this or 24 Minutes more, but that might change after another viewing.

I haven't seen it yet but I've heard people compare this to the scandal with Imus.

I know, can you believe it?

It's not really the same as the Imus thing. They actually fire Kent for a different reason, but I won't spoil it if you haven't seen it.
    I liked this episode, but not as much as the other new one tonight. I get the feeling from how the show ended that they tried to cut off as much excess as they could, but just couldn't clip it enough. Thus the awkwardness of it all. Still much better than some other recent ones. (G.I. Doh anyone? blech.) 77/100
    "HUH? Spider poison is people poison?"

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gobias
    This would've been so much better if they had somehow cut the first act, and added that time to the third act. I still liked it, but it definitely feels oddly unfinished.
    I agree with this statement. I actually didn't feel the second act was as bad as others mentioned here. I feel the first act, as usual, took away from it. Ned wasn't too bad, but his line when he was pointing out that he was exposing Kent even though he didn't do anything all that bad was poor.

I actually didn't mind the ending, though I can see some people here clamoring that it might be too Scullyesque. Since the episode was about that very topic, I thought it was quite alright (and funny). Lisa helping Kent Brockman and trying to take down the big media corporations had shades of Fraudcast News running through my mind, though this one was so underdeveloped by comparison.

Anyway, too much time spent on jokes (albeit funny jokes, like 'Apu sang for us') that really didn't go anywhere. Marge's Raising Arizona parody was funny, but it ate up about 2 minutes. I enjoyed jokes that had bigger payoff, like CBG's comment about nobody over 70 watches the local news and later Grampa is complaining about it. Some of the anti-Fox zingers were quite good actually. The Republican Party HQ had a lot of potential, but failed, despite the Krusty-Naegle joke.

Luda-Crest rocked.

Let's go with... um... C+
    Favorite Episodes (by Season): Season 1: Krusty Gets Busted, Call of the Simpsons
    Season 2: Blood Feud, Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, Bart the Daredevil
    Season 3: Radio Bart, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Bart the Murderer
    Season 4: Homer the Heretic, Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Front
    Season 5: Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song
    Season 6: Bart's Girlfriend, Bart of Darkness, Homie the Clown
    Season 7: Summer of 4ft 2, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart Sells His Soul
    Season 8: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, The Springfield Files, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
    Season 9: Girly Edition, The Cartridge Family, Lisa the Skeptic
    Season 10: They Saved Lisa's Brain, Lisa Gets an A, Simpsons Bible Stories
    Season 11: Grift of the Magi, Brother's Little Helper, Beyond Blunderdome
    Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer, The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Trilogy of Error
    Season 13: The Bart Wants What It Wants, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, Sweets and Sour Marge
    Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, The Bart of War, Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington
    Season 15: Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Tis the Fifteenth Season, The Wandering Juvie
    Season 16: Thank God It's Doomsday, The Heartbroke Kid, Fat Man and Little Boy
    Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Marge's Son Poisoning, Bart Has Two Mommies
    Season 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple, 24 Minutes, Little Big Girl
    Season 19: The Debarted, Midnight Towboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
    Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone, Take My Life Please, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words

Why Can't We Be Friends? The Southern Dandy's Avatar

It's possible that the excitement from 24 Minutes and the wonderful "20 years ago" introduction caused me to be a little biased and praise this episode more than it deserved, but for the moment, I'm sticking with my belief that both episodes were solid. I thought the satire in this was funnier than when Family Guy took on censorship too. I agree that Brockman was an odd choice for centre of attention on a milestone episode (doesn't have quite the same impact as Skinner in episode 100), but I didn't mind him.

I noticed that since it wasn't a "concept episode" like 24 minutes, it wasn't able able to break some of the season's habits that have been bugging people on this forum so much (the early scenes being unrelated to the main plot, for example), so that may be another reason people here were disappointed by it. And I agree that Ludicrest was one of the better (and more creative) recent uses of a guest star.
    Last edited by The Southern Dandy; 05-20-2007 at 08:04 PM.
    10 Favourites

Uhhh....I'll be back! Pruh-Probably.

It had some realy good parts, but it seems like more of it was them at the dentist then anyting else, then a needless cameo by Ludacris. The plot kinda came out of nowhere and ended ubruptly. Its the few funny part that keeps me from giving it a 1.
    2/5

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

This was one of the worst uses of Flanders ever, if not the worst. It was just creepy. Flanders' line about getting Kent in trouble despite being harmless was a classic season 17/18 case of unnatural dialogue that no one in real life would ever say.

Everything has already been said. The writers did almost nothing interesting with Kent Brockman, and the pacing was way off (Kent should have been fired by the end of the first act). Only part I liked was Ludacris' reaction to the video, and Marge running through town, which should have been saved for an episode where it would have actually fit the plot.

Also, what happened to the dentist from LETS?

Grade: C-

^absolutely hated flanders in this episode aswell, that right-wing bullshit is awful

demoted this episode to a D+

2/5 D+

Not the worst but still pretty bad. Jean has no template for managing his time. The entire first act was full of throwaway gags and going to the dentist in no way paved the way for the plot.

I laughed at maybe three or four jokes. Cutting to Ned Flanders watching the tapes was pretty humorous. Homer saying "Liberal, Woohoo!" repeatedly made me chuckle. The "wall of acquaintances" was funny only as an admission of the painfully ongoing scenario. The "Apu sang a song" was funny and the delivery was pretty good too.

The Fox joke ending was funny but once again this could have been used as a funny extra during the closing credits and with that time Al Jean could have made the third act a little meatier.

The jokes weren't too bad but I barely laughed out loud and was bored throughout, and it seemed like a VERY short episode for some reason. The premise of a character moving out is very tired. And once again, the Staff completely botched a chance to be bold; Instead of having Kent actually saying something audible, they go for the tame, cliche sound effect gag. That's playing it safe, and that's laziness. Kent not saying an audible swear word wasn't a necessity, but it would have gave the episode more credibility. They had the oppertunity to make a monkey out of the media, some social commentary on censorship but went the other route of crazy "let's bash Fox" gags.

Not that there was much time for that anyway. Kent Brockman had his job back almost as soon as he lost it. Shame. Shame on you, Simpsons staff.

But congratulations Simpsons staff for a decent 24 parody!

I'm a modern man

With the Tracey Ullman short, and the Homer ending, it felt almost poignant at times. This could've been the last episode. Honestly. I know it isn't, but do it a little different it could've been.

That said, the way they did end it was a great season finale. I think these 2 epsiodes, added with the buzz and extra viewers that come naturally with the 400th ep, might've brought back a few of the faithful to the flock.

See you all in July!
    Check out Steve's NHL Message Boards, featuring the most complete stat sheet you'll find anywhere!!
    http://stevedude530.proboards61.com

Season Rankings: 4, 3, 8, 5, 7, 2, 6, 15, 1, 15, 9, 14, 13, 10, 12, 11

"On the next Arrested Development ... Buster learns of the death of Captain Kangaroo"

JustSimpsons Staff Landshark678's Avatar

I had a few good laughs during this episode. I thought it was well written. Ending was abrupt. It dealt with a heavy handed subject that did not seem to fit well in the time frame. Still, a solid performance and a great way to end season 18!

4/5

Now, I just need to wait for the movie!!
    www.JustSimpsons.com
    I'm just like Lisa!
    I'm Lisa, who are you? by NoHomers.net
    I am president of SNUH - Students for the Non-Ignorance and the Understanding of Hilarity (A Simpsons Fan Club) Check out my Simpsons collection at www.littlepoopmachine.com

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Yeah, I think Ned's brief role was what really hurt the episode in my eyes. This was one of the worst uses of "ultra-conservative, self-parody Ned" I've ever seen, and I haven't liked any instance where his character is portrayed that way (such as The Wife Aquatic's pamphlet line). It's definitely more like Sheila Broflovski of South Park than the always helpful, always happy Bible-thumping Christian from next door that responds to brutal insults with a smile and a wave.

Heck, I'd go so far as to say that this episode represents everything that's wrong with Ned's characterizations these days. As an ancillary character, he lacks depth and has become a shallow vehicle for blunt "conservatives and religious people are so uptight lolol" gags. The only times he really works well these days are when episodes are focused around him, like Home Away From Homer, A Star is Born-Again, and Bart Has Two Mommies.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

First of all, I lover 24 Minutes, and I really think it deserved the honor of being the 400th episode. It just felt like more of an event compared to this which was very much a typical episode. I would say this was above average for the latter half of the series. It had some of the flaws of the recent seasons with aimless plotting and jokes that go on too long, not to mention the Ludacrest thing which fell flat. As others have said, it felt short what with the unrelated first act and the lazy way Kent's integrity was broken so quickly. Still, I appreciate the slams on the PTC and Fox News, and I always enjoy a good screw-the-audience style ending. I loved that they ran an Ullman short instead of the opening theme. B-

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scully
    This was one of the worst uses of Flanders ever, if not the worst.
    I don't know. I'm surprised to find myself saying this, but I disagree. I'm surprised because I'm one of the people who really hate the right-wing slant that they started giving Flanders around Season 10.

Note, I say right wing. Flanders was always a christian, but in early seasons he was the easy going (somewhat liberal *gasp) christian with the beer kegs in his basement and who put the consideration of others above himself. When Ned basically became the right wing evangelical variety of christian, afraid and judgmental of others; to me that was when the show took a turn for the worse. I have always hated that basic change of character.

Yet, the show has been committed to this change of character for (at least) six or seven years. I found his use in this episode to finally be serving some comedic and ironic purpose; rather than be someone who was purely contrary or "God's" advocate.

As I said, I normally hate that use of Ned, but in the context of this episode, it really worked for me and I was laughing a lot. Hmm
    Last edited by Jeff Vader; 05-20-2007 at 08:04 PM.
    Greatest post ever:
    "SLAYER DOESNT SUE PEOPLE SLAYER DOESNT PISS AND MOAN ABOUT BEING CELEBRITYS SLAYER DOESNT DO SHIT BUT OWN YOUR FUCKING ASS AND THEYVE BEEN DOING IT FOR ALMOST AS LONG AS METALLICA THATS WHY IT SHOULDVE BEEN GUITAR HERO SLAYER INSTEAD OF GUITAR HERO SELLOUT OLD FUCKS BUT FUCK IT ROCK BAND OWNS GUITAR HERO ANYWAY"
    quoth the Zodiac Motherfucker, The Onion A.V. Club

Music freaks join me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Morgodth

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

I really didn't like it.

A lot of the comments about conservatives and censorship seemed to tacked on and were far too blunt to really be good satire.

I hated the way they did Flanders in this episode, he was the wrong choice by far. He's basically Sheila Brovlofski II these days and he was a FAR FAR FAR FAR better character when he was a perfect christian neighbor as opposed to a bible thumping right winger.

It MIGHT have been better (although some whiners would say "They already did that!") if it had been MARGE leading the crusade against Brockman because she has previously shown her dedication to family morals.

It seemed FAR too rushed and things would have been better had they cut out all of that ridiculous waste of time in the dentists office and gone straight to the ice cream parlour.

The ending was strange and correct me if I'm wrong, but was that Maurice LaMarche doing the voice over?

Best joke: The call back to all the past characters who have lived with the Simpsons an the line about Apu.

2/5. Disappointing choice for #400. 24 Minutes would have fit FAR better.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedude530
    With the Tracey Ullman short, and the Homer ending, it felt almost poignant at times. This could've been the last episode. Honestly. I know it isn't, but do it a little different it could've been.
    Yeah, that's exactly how I felt. I agree with everyone about Flanders. His line about doing what he's doing even though it's pointless was really horrible, but I guess I forgot about it. The way Kent got his job back was pretty lazy writing too. I found it pretty easy to ignore these flaws since I liked a lot of the rest of the episode.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Man, reading all of these opinions about the episode is starting to make me feel more negative about it, though I just finished watching it and generally did like it overall. It was fun to watch but looking back on it... I have mixed feelings about this, especially with it being number 400 and all.

I will agree with the Ned bit, though. At the very least, he wasn't a prominent force throughout the episode, and his kids got a good bit. "Daddy, we think you need a new Mommy." Maan, here's to wishing Maude was still around, that might help out this new attitude of his a bit. Then again, it might not... but it'd still probably be better.

The beginning of the episode seemed entertaining as was, but this story had a lot of potential and could have been completely excellent satire... but so much time was wasted. I think that's what hurt this the most.

Still doesn't change my fairly positive opinion on this one, though. I'm being overly optimistic here but... yeah.

but i'm a vampire General Jack D. Ripper's Avatar

3/5. Accidentally voted 4/5 on the poll.

Pretty weak. The ending was way too abrupt and the episode seemed ten minutes long. Kent Brockman wasn't developed, they didn't show the curse word, Flanders's appearance was out of character, and there was an almost total absence of Bart. At the beginning I was thinking that it didn't take too long to get into the plot, but apparentally it did if there was a tiny conflict resolved in a second at the end. The thing that gave it a 3/5 at least was some good jokes like Dracula, the republican meeting, the sound effects at the Flanders part, the ending with the editing, the Fox jokes were decent, smashing the Etch-a-Sketch, the dentist's part, and I liked Homer's "woo (pause for about 20 seconds)hoo!" They should've had the first episode be the 400th. I liked the opening also.

None of the characters really seemed to show any real emotions or traits throughout the episode that I can recall, which seems to happen when the episode never really focuses. The episode was too heavy handed, but still excuseable, but I don't understand why they stuck in the Republican HQ part if they weren't even going to make it a big part of the plot. The second appearance of the radio guy from Sideshow Bob Roberts (his name escapes me) was very nice to see.
    Last edited by General Jack D. Ripper; 05-21-2007 at 05:54 AM.

I was a little surprised when the punchline to that "what kind of a person?" joke was Ned instead of a dig at Internet fans.

Mad without power

18 long years and Kent Brockman finally gets his own episode. Too bad it's bogged down with some of the worst characterisitcs of the Jean era. First of all, what the hell happened being subtle about this show's liberal tendencies? Episodes like "Sideshow Bob Roberts" were at least clever about it, but here, it's all "Conservatives suck, Fox News sucks, hardcore evangelicals suck" in the most blatant tone possible. That's not a sign of good satire. Flanders was probably characterized even worse than he was in "Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass" (coincidentally also written by Tim Long). That and the episode felt rushed. Part of the reason for feeling rushed might be all the time wasted in the first act, which is pretty much to be expected nowadays. The dentist scenes weren't funny at all, especially not "Luda-Crest" or the Skinner scene.

Granted, the episode also had several good things going for it. I actually laughed at the ending, as abrupt as it was, and the best joke in the episode was the meta-reference to how many characters have moved in with them over the years. A few of the jabs at Fox were indeed funny, as were the shots at the FCC (some nice self-parody there). I haven't seen Raising Aizona, but it was enjoyable sequence nevertheless. And the Ullman opening was a fun throwback.

An inconsistant mix of both some really good and some really bad jokes. Sadly, this was good for a Tim Long episode. C
    Season 19 Ratings - Now More Bitter Than Ever!
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs -

Well, somehow they managed to pair the best episode of the season with one of the worst on the same night, how did this happen? Anyway, this episode was a mess in many ways. Marge's sprint across town at the beginning (while slightly humorous) goes on and on and the dentist plot more or less takes over the entire first act. On top of this, there's potential for real character development scenes with the idea of Kent being upset about the news station's decision of what stories to run, but it's not explored in the least. Then it's act two, and while I liked some of the ideas about disjointed and separate the world of TV news and internet news has become, it really doesn't get a whole lot of attention either. Instead Ned steps into the episode with the sole purpose of simply starting the crusade to get Kent fired, I really would have liked to see him doing more. Krusty narrating Itchy and Scratchy was also funny, but then very quickly Kent just gets fired and despite the long farewell scene from the station, the whole thing just felt phony and thin. With little reason Kent then finds himself living with the Simpsons and suddenly the entire episode turns into a "bash the living hell out of Fox and Fox News" story with a few thin Good Night and Good Luck teases thrown in. Next we have to sit through some very long and unfunny Republican headquarters scenes and a very thin conclusion all before we get to a final scene where I saw every joke coming.

I'm really upset because there was alot of potentially good stuff to be found here, from the news media's decisions of what stories to follow, to the TV station having to pay for having lower income, to the divide of news info depending on generation. In the end though, the plot is a thin mess, sequences go on for far too long, and the entire episode feels very empty. Why oh why didn't they air 24 minutes first? 1/5
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

Uhh. Cut it out with the FOX jokes already.

Not too long from me this time...because honestly I wasn't sure what to think of this episode. The weirdest pacing of any episode I've seen in a long time.

To tell you the truth...I didn't hate it. But I didn't like it either. It sort of felt like a "lets throw you smack dab in the middle of just another day in Springfield" episode. Although thats kind of an excuse I admit.

There was an awkward almost...meta-joke feel through the whole thing, and it all sort of came together in the end. I can't quite put my finger on it but this felt like an extremely tounge in cheek episode. Like it was all intentional somehow...especially the way Ned basically summed up his entire intention right then and there. Its so absurd that its hard to take seriously enough to critisize. I'm sure I'll be able to word it better later.

But yeah, this episode was just...wierd. It was going somewhere we weren't aware of...then went to the Kent story with 14 minutes of the episode left. And I can definitely see how the way Ned was in this was extremely aggrevating to his fans. Like I said, the way he is in this is so tongue in cheek that its hard to critisize seriously. But I can still critisize it since Ned's a great character, and he has sort of become the biggest stereotype of himself.

The comment from his kids was funny though. Still a weird episode, that last part was funny in just how strange it was. But still I can't give it anything higher than a 2/5.
    Last edited by Kiyosuki; 05-22-2007 at 11:00 AM.

Meh... this reminds me of the Krusty as a stand-up comic episode. Brockman gets a moral conscience and does something about it but then returns to the standard quo just as quick. The FOX jokes weren't funny until that last bit with Homer, and the jokes in general just weren't working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scully
    This was one of the worst uses of Flanders ever, if not the worst. It was just creepy. Flanders' line about getting Kent in trouble despite being harmless was a classic season 17/18 case of unnatural dialogue that no one in real life would ever say.
    Absurd dialogue...in a cartoon? That's unpossible!

Really, this was a very tongue-in-cheek episode, and I loved how self-aware it was. The Simpsons writers still have a touch of cleverness left in them, whereas in the Scully era they would attempt these things but they would end up feeling too sincere and embarrassing in the process. This shows progress.

I wish the Brockman story would have been more filled out, but seriously folks, the ending was freaking funny.

fittingly shitty end to the worst simpsons season yet. 1/5

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I'm actually pretty shocked at how loud and bitter this came across as. It was essentially the characters saying "Fox News sucks!" in completely rant-like ways that lacked any subversiveness or humor. The whole second half had a completely out-of-nowhere shift of tone to a bunch of mudslinging, boring, bullplop. Honestly, since when did The Simpsons become a blog rant? The more I reflect on how they handled their "satire" of the media, the more this episode bugs me. Past jokes on Republicans were at least more subtle in their execution, but this was ridiculous. Felt like Tim Long had a chip on his shoulder, and used the show to express it (in a very poor, rantlike, angry manner that's about as unlike the show as you can get).

And the first act spent way too much time at the dentist, with mediocre results. And the terrible use of Ned.

I'm going to have to drop this pile to a D. Once again, we get a season finale that completely misses the mark. Thank goodness for 24 Minutes.

No good. I thought it was a little better than the absolute worst ones like Revenge is a dish best served three times, Kill Gill, & The Wife Aquatic but not by very much.

The only part I really enjoyed was Marge running home with Maggie, pretty creative and clever. But if I was ever watching this again, I'd likely turn after that scene. The ending was too fast and stupid. [That being Kent going back to his job, not the whole fox thing.] 2/5, D+

I do think there were at least enough good episodes to make this better season 17. Not a whole lot better, but definitely more good episodes.

Thread Information