View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
301. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

57 18.94%
  • 4/5

98 32.56%
  • 3/5

75 24.92%
  • 2/5

47 15.61%
  • 1/5

24 7.97%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Rate & Review "You Kent Always Say What You Want" (JABF15)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The one thing I really liked was the couch gag based on the short with the same sound bits I think. 2/5

Pathetic. Ooh The Simpsons putting FOX under satire, ooh it's so scandalous, the network has to put it on at a later time.

Just shows that the show has no guts, and will only make satiricial comments of their network, when was the last full-blown satirical episode oh yeah two years ago with "There's Something About Marrying", if I had wanted to see FOX mocked I would look at all the past 18 years they've been doing it discreetly. I don't want a full-blown episode about it, that shows the writers don't have any balls anymore for a satirical comment.

Although I liked the dentist seasons, Ned's Christian Watchdog group and Homer shocked on the second balloon celebration reveal. This gets a 2/5 from me.
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

I expected more from the 400th episode. This episode has plenty of things I didn’t like, and only a few good jokes. Kent Brockman has always been an interesting character, but it was somewhat clear to me that an episode completely revolving around him couldn’t stand on its own.

The first act was mediocre at best, with quite a few cringeworthy bits, such as the scenes with Bart torturing Skinner, it was just painful to watch in my opinion. The appearance of Ludacris felt tacked on, and I wasn’t too crazy about the dragged scenes with Marge running.

There were a couple of good gags in the second act, such as Krusty doing the voices for the cartoon, ‘’Apu sang a song. What are you gonna do?’’, and grampa naming all the forbidden words back in his day. Flanders was strangely characterised, he seems to be bitching too much in the recent seasons. I thought Brockman exepted his job back way too easy, which left me unsatisfied with the ending. It was sort of saved with the Fox news joke, though…

D
    Marmalade,I love marmalade...

Blog Entries

The first act was really wasted, with a long montage of Marge running home, followed by an unnecissary "The Simpsons Are Going To..." (in this case, the dentist), and another random spot. Using Ludacris was extremely annoying, as he was there for the sake of being there.

The plot doesn't get started until midway the second act, and is quicky done in the third act. The ending wasn't much to write home about, either.

1/5

I tend not to put much weight on an episode being a "milestone", especially since they tend to fall on the most random episodes. Case in point - this one. It's thoroughly average at best, with a few good jokes and lots of really bad satire. The FOX stuff was especially hit-and-miss, with none of it being all that subtle, which is what OFF used to be able to do with its satire. That said, as abrupt as the ending felt, I got a kick out of it.
    2.5/5
    Season 21:
    Homer the Whopper: C, Bart Gets a Z: C+, The Great Wife Hope: B-, Treehouse of Horror XX: B, The Devil Wears Nada: C-, Pranks & Greens: C, Rednecks & Broomsticks: D+, O Brother, Where Bart Thou?: B, Thursdays With Abie: D, Once Upon a Time in Springfield: C+, Million Dollar Maybe: C-

This episode gave me high hopes for season 19.
    Man was I wrong!

Meh.....................3/5

The main conflct felt way to short and it ended too quickly... but it's beacose the first half was too long, but I don' have too much problem with it beacose I liket the first half.

Over all - Ok episode but nothing special.

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

D+, as bad as I remember it. The dentists stuff was okay (as was the couch gag) but when Kent comes in, it bombs. Kent's barely involved in the episode and the satire is way too over the top and obnoxiously obvious. Pacing was also off, and the ending was just plain lame and rushed, like they kept trying to point out how "clever" they were by badmouthing Fox. And also, everyone's voice was too high again!? 24 Minutes had the same problem. But it bugged me, everyone sounded ridiculous.

Jokes wise this was pretty poor but I liked "Apu sang a song. What are you gunna do?" and I sorta liked Homer giving back the cone after he won, then acting surprised. But otherwise a really lame, annoying episode.

hidle-onar-takan-thran Toomanygrandmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Meh, '24 Minutes' was much better

'You Kent Always Say What You Want' was... not great. It wasn't awful, as it had some redeeming qualities, and generally no paticular bit was awful, it was just that nothing was really good. '24 Minutes' was much better, mainly due to it actually being different and memorable. This episode, whilst not as dull and forgettable as 'The Wife Aquatic', isn't going to be an episode in the season that I remember - and if I do, it probably won't be very fond memories.

The premise of the episode wasn't very exciting. Kent Brockman swears on tv, and gets in trouble for it. Ho hum. Season 18 seemed to be a season where they gave episodes to more minor characters (Cletus and co. - 'Yokel Chords', Gil - 'Kill Gil'). I don't paticularly object to Kent as a character - he has had some great lines over the course of the series (most famously 'I for one, welcome our new insect overlords'). However, I didn't really find his plight in this episode very engaging. I think the main reason was that the pacing in this episode was off. Like many post classic episodes, the dentist scene was pointless. I guess it did have some funny moments, like Homer screaming and the children overhearing, but it also had some bad bits, like the unecessary celebrity cameo. Due to the dentist part, and other example of padding, the main plot felt very rushed. There's a fair amount of build up to Kent getting fired, and when he does, he gets his job back quickly. I mentioned humour a bit earlier, so I'll get on to it now. There were some funny moments, like Krusty's 'enthusiastic' voiceover for the Itchy and Scratchy Show (though Scratchy certaintly has fallen for a cat made out of dynamite numerous times...), though there were some lame jokes. The satire of the media, was just plain bad. It was blatant, and unlike a gem like 'Homer Badman', where the media satire was also relatively blatant - the satire simply wasn't funny (also it's a shame that the vampire in the Republican headquarters looks more like a generic vampire now, compared to the nosferatu lookalike back in 'Sideshow Bob Roberts'). Characterisation: generally fine, but I didn't like the portrayal of Ned in it.

I'll end my review with a comment about the end. All I can say is that I thought that when they cut to the credits, I thought it was still part of the fox-editing joke; so was surprised when it really was the end. Overall, 'You Kent Always Say What You Want' just wasn't very good, and is a dissapointing season finale.

2/5
    Poochie needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine

Banned

45 people actually rated this as 5/5?!?!?

Absolutely pathetic episode, nothing funny whatsoever, a waste of Kent Brockman, highlights Zombie Flanders, poor plot and how it was chosen as the Simpsons 400th ever episode is staggering. 1/5, 1/10 & F

Zombies Rise from the Sea

You Kent Say What You Always Want

I'm fully aware this lies in the path of Season 18; however since this is a milestone episode, I have to review it. At least it'll give me one less episode to go through.

Season 18 has generally been known to be a really, really weak season. A season where alot of it is just plain boring and unmemorable. To have the 400th episode situate around the end of the 18th season is unfortunate because it means the obvious, the episode isn't going to be special for as far as I know. The episode (written by Tim Long) has a much needed focus on Kent and the potential behind a Kent story is good. There are lots of things you could do with a newscaster behind the scenes, have him doubt the media, have him do his regular thing around the media, have some form of sensibility that the people can relate to; additionally, the satire of the situation also has potential but as usual, both are wasted.

The fault mainly lies in the pacing of the plot; there is just so many scenes that are designed to fill time. Whether or not it's because they couldn't come up with material is unknown but the plot mostly demands the whole episode to be effective. There is one time wasting scene that makes some sort of impact and that is Marge running through Springfield; even though some of the moments aren't exactly funny/memorable, it does contain some inspired ideas and there is some decent animation that fits the scenes well, not unlike what they tried to do in "The Food Wife". Despite the decent animation and the inspired ideas, it's still somewhat of a waste as it doesn't contain anything to make it remotely memorable. Additionally, the scenes that take place in the dentist serve as something that should of taken place earlier in the episode; it contains the usual goofing off that starts off episodes as a whole but as expected none of it lands and most of it feels uninspired, despite good intentions. The most notable of these scenes is the appearance of Ludacris (thus further proving that Season 18 is the season of awkwardness) who appears in a smallish cameo role; that role is nothing special but the scenes where he appears in the satirical movie are just absurd... Not absurdly funny but just absurd... Additionally, there is also a sense of disconnectedness that comes within the final moments of the episode; basically the episode acts as if this has been going on for some time and they're only now finding a way to get rid of him. I personally would of liked it if they had some sort of buildup as it would of given the situation and the character a bit more impact but as it is; eh.

Because of those time wasting scenes; The direction of the episode is muddled and as a result, Kent isn't given a good enough focus. As I said before, the episode has good admirations; this episode's satire did aim to take on the outrageous when it comes to incidents like the 2004 Super Bowl incident, the related fines and the reactions. This is one of those things which The Simpsons had a lot they could say about it but just because they have something to say about it does not mean they say it well. It barely shows what the effects of the incident are nor does it take any real stabs at it. There are stuff like outrageous fees and demotions and comments about supposed morality but they just feel minute, even the social implications aren't explored well; there is some touching with the moments of Flanders but they just missed an entire opportunity to touch on deeper social implications. The entire town of Springfield is filled with people who watch TV, who have opinions of their own, it would of been nice to see what people thought of Kent Brockman, what people were doing in response, what people were demanding of the media and what people were doing to objectionable stuff; instead, it's barely scraped and it's left to grow on the bottom of whatever barrel it was growing on. It's obvious that they missed the mark with some of the stuff they set out to do.

Of course, there is another satire that's in the episode; and that's the satire of Fox and Fox News; it isn't exactly 100% true in today's times but it's still somewhat relevant; somewhat... It does bring across some good points such as the differences between Fox and Fox News and the objectiveness of the programming but it doesn't exactly work out as far as the episode is concerned and it just serves as something used to support a message that doesn't exactly branch itself out and define itself. (the message delivered is the same as every others demanding people to stop feeding on the media and seek the information for themselves.) It's mainstream appeal does grant you a bigger audience to send your messages but wouldn't it matter if the messages were grabbing and unique (aside from looking like it was from the 60's)? Aside from the wasted satirical aspects of this episode there is the entertainment value of the episode; ultimately it doesn't end up terrible but it does end up pretty boring. The plot itself moves along at a somewhat consistent pace but nothing is grabbing you and nothing is forcing you to pay attention to whatever is happening on screen, additionally there isn't much risk taking and nothing that is radically different from the norm; which isn't a problem as far as the episode is concerned but for those looking for a bit more, you'll be disappointed. The characters here mostly play it safe and while they have some good moments, they just play their roles as if it were just another day. Additionally, the jokes here also play it safe; don't get me wrong, there are some good jokes here and there but they're far and few in between and some of truly good ones could of benefited from better execution and shorter length. There aren't any truly terrible jokes here but still, alot of them are complacent.

It's a shame, because I remember reading about this episode having immense potential and this episode having immense hype; at one time this episode was even titled "The Kent State Massacre", that says something about the expectations of the episode; even for a milestone episode. To have those expectations broken before your very eyes is disheartening; even for one who's been with the show for a long time; the hopes that you were holding for the episode, just gone. Shows a lot about the shows current state.

So the 400th milestone episode and the Season 18 season finale ends up being nothing special; just your average everyday walk in Springfield. There is tons of wasted potential and the plotting is awkward but it's not terrible and there's nothing objectionable about it. I guess you could watch this if you need to be entertained on the go or are looking for a quick laugh, just don't expect anything special from it.

5.0/10

Don't you know I am serious!! Rembrandt Q. Einstein_1's Avatar

Wow, this episode was well-liked at first? 1/5

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i really hate this episode (for reasons i have already stated). the jokes are awful, as is the writing and the 'satire'. 1/5

5/5 - Hilarious! Lots of funny stuff throughout the episode.

Don't you know I am serious!! Rembrandt Q. Einstein_1's Avatar

I think what bothers me most about this episode is how long the plot takes to develop. And yeah, I know a lot of episodes are like that but the first 10 minutes of this one has absolutely NOTHING to do with the rest of it, it isn't even about the same characters! It goes from Marge trying to get Maggie home safely to the family going to the dentists to the family going to the ice cream parlour and then Kent Brockman comes into it. It's ridiculous.

Also, horrible characterization of Ned and it seems like we're meant to root for Kent even though he's normally portrayed as an unlikable jerk and wasn't that much better here.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Q. Einstein_1; 05-01-2013 at 08:10 AM.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

Another horribly convoluted plot, with the main plot being introduced way too late and on something only tangentially related to anything before it. The scene with Marge running home is bizarre to say the least, and the stuff at the dentist's office is strange as well. The stuff in the middle is pretty much the only stuff that could be considered remotely good, especially Krusty narrating the Itchy & Scratchy cartoon (which I thought was pretty funny, actually). Then it really gets into the attempted satire, rather abruptly, and that falls flat as well. For one thing, it no longer makes any sense, considering the Republican Party is no longer in power (you would think that the writers would have been aware that that the Democrats would get into power at some point and this episode wouldn't age well as a result, but apparently not). And I honestly don't know how stale the Fox News bashing was when this aired, but it is extremely stale now, and that is another way in which this episode hasn't aged well. 2/10

Banned
    Blog Entries

Pretty average episode, some jokes that work some that dosent. 3/5

Blog Entries

It started off pretty well then became a little loose plot wise, but it kept me entertained throughout. 4.5/5

Banned
    Blog Entries

This episode was much worse then i remembered. I admit the dentiests stuff is tolarable enough but otherwise its a horribly boring and bland episode and easily the worst milestone episode. Grade: F

Blog Entries

They could have chosen a much better milestone episode than this. Let's face it, people want to see a story that focuses the Simpsons during the 400th episode, not Kent Brockman, he just can't hold an episode by himself. However, I did enjoy the "Family Portrait' short they showed at the beginning. But overall it's just a typical, mediocre Season 18 episode with. nothing special about it. This episode gets a C. It also doesn't help that the episode was written by the infamous Tim Long.

Blog Entries

Absolutely terrible. A Kent Brockman episode that ends before it starts.

1/10
    My Top 100 Simpsons episodes

My Simpsons season rankings (1-23):

6 > 8 > 5 > 7 > 3 > 4 > 10 > 9 > 2 > 12 > 1 > 11 > 16 > 15 > 13 > 17 > 14 > 18 > 20 > 19 > 23 > 21 > 22

Simon Era - Reiss Era - Mirkin Era - Oakley Era - Scully Era - Jean Era

I'm tempted to take this episode out of my viewing rotation, I thought it was good, then the plot showed up, and unfortunately I agree with Rod and Todd, Flanders could use a life, though new mommy wouldn't come until 2011.

I mean I liked the bits of Marge running all the way home to catch the kids for the dentist and the stuff at the dentist, but everything else from there goes downhill, and the way that FOX was trying to cover their butts, okay maybe they should have also promoted their other programmings that wasn't House or American Idol at the time, they could have plugged their lesser stuff in that bit, 'Til Death was in it's first season
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

Thread Information