View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

13 5.46%
  • 4/5

71 29.83%
  • 3/5

71 29.83%
  • 2/5

34 14.29%
  • 1/5

49 20.59%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "The Boys of Bummer" (JABF11)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

"The sunrise, brought to you by God, the invisible friend you turn to when you're about to die"

This episode was a huge disappointment. I'd write more, but my computer crashed and have been having trouble getting it up and running again.

Both plots were really poorly executed. Wow, they were great ideas, but all the characters seemed extremely hollow. Homer was probably the only person in the whole episode who didn't seem grating, annoying, or terribly out of character. That was nice for a change. Marge was beyond annoying in this episode. I wanted to bitch slap her at several moments. Just when I thought the show was turning it around, they put this crap in my face. It felt like it had all the problems of season 17 and the HABF run. The JABFs have had some dark episodes or dark moments of episodes, and almost none of them have worked, mostly because there was hardly any precedent for them, like in this episode. Bart's reaction to the situation was overdone. I mean the spray painting could have been interesting if we had been given the chance to get into Bart's head more, but the suicide thing was just too far. The town trying to restage the last inning was rather... strange. Bart's rampage was better done in Brother's Little Helper and the town setup was done better in The Great Money Caper. I like those episodes and I know a lot of people don't like them, but they really felt more plausible than almost anything that happened here.

Some of the jokes really did work for me, ironically the jokes that went on for a while. Moe and Lisa's exchange was quite funny despite the stupidity of what Lisa was suggesting. Bart's missing the ball at the end (not at the beginning) was actually quite funny to me (especially the Steve Bartman nod).

There were tons of awful gags, including almost anything involving the Lovejoys' sex life and the Moe exposing himself 'gag.'

Michael Price's worst episode BY FAR. I still think he is a good writer, but every writer is bound to have a clunker somewhere (e.g.- John Frink and Bart Mangled Banner).

This episode made Marge and Homer Turn a Couple Play look good plotwise. I can't say this was the worst of the season, but definitely in the bottom 5. It beats out Jazzy and Kill Gil, but I'm not sure if anything else. 2/5 C-/D+
    Favorite Episodes (by Season): Season 1: Krusty Gets Busted, Call of the Simpsons
    Season 2: Blood Feud, Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, Bart the Daredevil
    Season 3: Radio Bart, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Bart the Murderer
    Season 4: Homer the Heretic, Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Front
    Season 5: Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song
    Season 6: Bart's Girlfriend, Bart of Darkness, Homie the Clown
    Season 7: Summer of 4ft 2, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart Sells His Soul
    Season 8: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, The Springfield Files, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
    Season 9: Girly Edition, The Cartridge Family, Lisa the Skeptic
    Season 10: They Saved Lisa's Brain, Lisa Gets an A, Simpsons Bible Stories
    Season 11: Grift of the Magi, Brother's Little Helper, Beyond Blunderdome
    Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer, The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Trilogy of Error
    Season 13: The Bart Wants What It Wants, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, Sweets and Sour Marge
    Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, The Bart of War, Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington
    Season 15: Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Tis the Fifteenth Season, The Wandering Juvie
    Season 16: Thank God It's Doomsday, The Heartbroke Kid, Fat Man and Little Boy
    Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Marge's Son Poisoning, Bart Has Two Mommies
    Season 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple, 24 Minutes, Little Big Girl
    Season 19: The Debarted, Midnight Towboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
    Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone, Take My Life Please, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

I actually sort of agree with Vox's opinion. The episode was pretty rough around the edges, and very exaggerated, but I think the plot as a whole worked, and didn't feel nearly as bland or pointless as most of seasons 17-18.

Bart's character was sort of hollow and sissy-like, but it would be impossible not to feel really bad for the kid. At first, I actually thought Bart deserved a little bit of a fall, after his arrogance in the beginning, even if I felt bad for him by the end. It would have been nice to see a stronger more fleshed out Bart, but I'm not sure if it would have improved the episode significantly. I was more interested in how the Simpson family and townspeople reacted to Bart's plight.

I could buy the characters' behaviors to a certain point, but the writers kept taking it a bit too far. Bart being very upset, even doing something desperate like painting a couple buildings, I could see, but going completely crazy and attempting suicide was crossing the line. The town's hatred while exaggerated, wasn't totally out-of-the-blue (I've tried not to underestimate how irrational and cruel some fandoms can get), but continuing to antagonize Bart after he attempted suicide was too far.

The town suddenly deciding to help Bart out after being so vicious, I don't think was a huge problem. It's not really clear why the town had a a change of heart, but then, it wasn't clear why the town worked so hard to shovel Bart out of a well after being seriously pissed off at him for days.

And I did like the twist that Bart went through a fake little league game, when it might have been ultimately better for him to suck it up and deal with the town hating him.

With a darker tone, the humor here felt more natural. I did laugh at things like Homer catching the ball for Bart, the lengths the towspeople went to to make Bart feel better, the headlines about Bart, and a few other gags I don't recall. But there could have been more jokes, particularly with the townspeople taunting Bart (just look at all the jokes in Bart's Girlfriend for instance).

So, good ideas here and overall intersting, but some really rocky execution. B-

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scully
    I could buy the characters' behaviors to a certain point, but the writers kept taking it a bit too far. Bart being very upset, even doing something desperate like painting a couple buildings, I could see, but going completely crazy and attempting suicide was crossing the line. The town's hatred while exaggerated, wasn't totally out-of-the-blue (I've tried not to underestimate how irrational and cruel some fandoms can get), but continuing to antagonize Bart after he attempted suicide was too far.

And I did like the twist that Bart went through a fake little league game, when it might have been ultimately better for him to suck it up and deal with the town hating him.

With a darker tone, the humor here felt more natural. I did laugh at things like Homer catching the ball for Bart and the lengths the towspeople went to to make Bart feel betterB-
    Great review. I agree with all those points.

To me, it was not that the plot points were so unbelievable, it was the fact that they kept taking them more and more far. Like you said, he could have painted a couple buildings. God, I would have even bought him going insane if there had been some sort of crazy/nervous reaction from Bart before, but we had only seen him crying, not nervous, before. Then, they take it too far again when Bart actually jumps. I think it would have been much better if he were just insane, painting the tank, but he hadn't tried to attempt suicide. I would have liked that the rope had just torn or something, and he had fallen. Even if he hadn't jump intentionally the townspeople would have been still responsible of the dangerous situation, so they could have kept the rest of the plot intact.

It has been sort of a problem lately that the writers try to justify huge character decissions by insisting on backgroung motives while providing a shallow characterization of the main character that doesn't reflect the effect of those conflicts in his attitude. For example in Paternity Coot they showed how "cool" Homer's new father was, but not how Grandpa discovers he's a much better father than himself, hence the "surprising" resolution didn't make perfect sense. And I even consider they handled the conflict better there than in the episode in this thread.

Along with the future scene, that part was the biggest flaw in the episode. It was really messy. It seems that they tried some sort of intrigue with the paintings, but they give up the resolution too quickly (it could have even been the whole theme for the third act in the kinda "significant" way it seemed to be presented). I also thought Lisa's line " The person who hates Bart more than anyone else" sounded very explanatory at that moment. Maybe if it would have been a third act intrigue and other people were suspected of making the paintings Lisa could have said "I know who did it. The person who hates Bart..." before solving the mistery, but here it seemed that they were explaining in words what they didn't try to explain with images. Why don't they explained it in the previous scenes instead? We see Bart is sad, but it's not so clear if it's because everybody hates him or because he hates himself for being a loser. That's why I think a stronger characterization of Bart was needed. He hates himself more than anyone else cause people is mad at him? That's not Bart. He should at least be a little defensive about himself at first. All we had is him crying and standing still while the rest of the town is yelling at him.

Why did they even start the whole "mysterious paintings" plot point if there was going to be such a short period of time devoted to it? Heck, it would have even made more sense that Bart would have written "I'm sorry" instead of "I hate Bart" and he would be at least defending himself (and it would have been very Bart-like to apologize while committing a vandalic act). And he could have fallen from the tank just the same and townspeople could have felt guilty anyway.

I enjoyed the start and all the ending from Lisa/Moe scene on (with the exception of the futuristic scene), but this middle part could have been done in a lot of different ways, and almost every one of them would have been better than the way it has been done.
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 05-01-2007 at 05:25 AM.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

Where's the money shot? Reverend Lovejoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyosuki
    So I'm interested, Rev...and anyone else who wants to answer, what do you think of this slightly more "intimate" side to the Lovejoys that the writers have been subtlely implying lately?
    Well, I apologise in advance for going slightly off topic, but... well, I don't know. It's better than the 'troubled marraige', thing, but only slightly.
    Myself? Well, when I started my Lovejoy obsession, I got this bizarre idea that they had a really good sex life and loved each other a great deal. I was 13 or 14, and didn't know that much about relationships, but the show never dealt with the Lovejoys' relationship, so it left a lot to the imagination.
    This intimate side... well, if it implies the Lovejoys care about each other, then I have no problem. What I don't want is to see them actually having sex or anything like that. I'm slightly okay with them making out (this is coming from someone who actually drew the Lovejoys kissing once, gross though that is ), but I do not want to see them going much further. I mentioned in the 'preview/speculation' thread that I didn't want to hear about Lovejoy's troubles 'getting it up' (and, if that quote I came across involving Cain is anything to go by, it turns out they did mention that :-O). Believe it or not, the Lovejoys' sex life is not something I dwell on. It's nice to see it made them happy, but some of it does seem out of character. I have yet to see the episode, but I know they mentioned something about 'edible vestments' ( :-O), and Veryjammy was right when he said it was hard to believe they'd make out on the Simpsons' bed. I'm still glad to have 'em back, though, and I still do want to see this episode, but I'll just wait until Sky 1 airs it and I can ask someone to record it for me.
    So, in regards to their relationship... well, I have no problem with them giving each other a hug or a kiss, but making out and 'edible vestments'... well, that's more than I wanted to know.

Thanks to CousinMerl for this great sig!

but i'm a vampire General Jack D. Ripper's Avatar

I agree with all the points Mike Scully made. Couldn't have put it better.

not black mozart chocolatey socrates's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Chief Wiggum was hilarious in this episode and that raised the rating, but i'm not voting 'cos i can't decide on the number scale so i'll just give it a B here. I saw it coming that bart was the one who did the spray painting.
    Last edited by chocolatey socrates; 05-02-2007 at 08:12 AM.

Blog Entries

3/5

the stroy was ok but i've seen better from season 18, and some of the jokes like the egg on mr burns and the ending jokes werent really that entertaining. i prefered the subplot to the episode more than the main plot because the main plot got pretty boring just watching bart going through people thinking that he sucked, then having a breakdown and after that, getting a second chance to prove himself. i feel that the writers could have written that part better.

Why Can't We Be Friends? The Southern Dandy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scully
    Bart being very upset, even doing something desperate like painting a couple buildings, I could see, but going completely crazy and attempting suicide was crossing the line.
    I feel this way too, but I think everyone here is way too kind to this episode. Maybe they're just used to this level of quality in The Simpsons because they've been watching it consistently for years, but as someone who has only watched the last few seasons on and off, I was shocked by how poor this episode was, and everyone here is much more forgiving of its flaws than I could ever be. I would rate it as low as an episode can be rated.

I don't want to sound like a nitpick who expects too much, but it really bothers me how out-of-character Bart has been this season. The Simpsons has never been or tried to be completely realistic in its depictions of people, but I don't think it's too much to ask for Bart to still at least somewhat plausibly resemble a ten year old boy. This season, after seeing him get married and consider fatherhood, then watching him go insane from depression and almost killing himself, I feel like the writers have completely lost sight of the fact that he's supposed to be a child. The writing on this episode was so inept, I felt like I was watching a different series that just looked and sounded like The Simpsons. I just hope the movie this summer gives the series the boost that it needs to be reinvograted.
    Last edited by The Southern Dandy; 05-01-2007 at 10:25 AM.
    10 Favourites

Uhhh....I'll be back! Pruh-Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by The Southern Dandy
    I don't want to sound like a nitpick who expects too much, but it really bothers me how out-of-character Bart has been this season. The Simpsons has never been or tried to be completely realistic in its depictions of people, but I don't think it's too much to ask for Bart to still at least somewhat plausibly resemble a ten year old boy. This season, after seeing him get married and consider fatherhood, then watching him go insane from depression and almost killing himself, I feel like the writers have completely lost sight of the fact that he's supposed to be a child. The writing on this episode was so inept, I felt like I was watching a different series that just looked and sounded like The Simpsons. I just hope the movie this summer gives the series the boost that it needs to be reinvograted.

I disagree completely. I feel this is the first episode he has been out of character with the exception of Jazzy and the Pussycats. The Haw-Hawed Couple, Yokel Chords, and Little Big Girl (as you can tell from my signature) were all great Bart characterizations and they even took it in new and interesting ways (like Yokel Chords). I think Bart had been great up until this episode. It wasn't that he was so poorly characterized as to the fact that we didn't really get to see inside Bart's head much or at least as much as we are used to.

I really want to like this episode. I usually like darker tones, but when it comes to the Simpsons (e.g. - season 8), it has never quite stuck well with me. I feel like the whole Bart story felt very un-Simpson-like. Perhaps a rewatch will do, but plotwise, this just felt very awkward and strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Xt'Tapalatakettle
    I usually like darker tones, but when it comes to the Simpsons (e.g. - season 8), it has never quite stuck well with me.
    Same here. I never quite noticed how dark season 8 was until just now, but there really were some dark episodes in there:

You Only Move Twice (yeah, it's goofy, but it has Homer working for a terrorist)
    A Milhouse Divided
    Hurricane Neddy
    El Viaje Misterioso De Nuestro Jomer
    Mountain Of Madness
    My Sister, My Sitter
    The Old Man And the Lisa
    Homer's Enemy

Oakley and Weinstein were sick. :silly:

like kissin' a peanut

When I was watching this episode, I thought, "Wow, this is wildly out-of-character for Bart." Then I wondered, "Is Bart even supposed to have a personality anymore?" It seems that he is underused in this new Jean era, but when he is used, his personality will fit whatever scenario they throw him in. Bart's become less of a character and more of a tool used to create/advance plots. I hate to do "classic Simpsons" fist-shaking, but the writers should really look at Bart from the classic era to see that he DID have a distinct personality.

2/5

The Great Frisco Freak-Out Good-Time Slim's Avatar

I know I'm kind of late on this, but I've been sick

2.5/5. It was not good. Homer being a mattress salesmen is such a stretch, and I was upset they brought back the boss at Costington's. Newsflash: The guy wasn't funny in "Kill Gil" (was anything in that episode funny?) and he wasn't funny this time ("You're hiiiiiiiiiiirrrreeeeed"....zzz). Why bring him back? What positive feedback were they getting from that character?

I actually liked the town coming together for Bart in the end. Moe stripping naked and running was funny, but it was also nice of him to sacrifice his dignity for Bart. The Charlie Brown gag was good, too

That was it. Boo this episode

EDIT: And for Bart being out of character, it would have made more sense for him to spraypaint "I Hate Bart Simpson" because he was trying to make the town mad at the vandal who did it, taking their hatred off him and even make them feel bad for him. THAT would have been a Bart move, not going nuts and trying to fall to his death

Damn you, a box! My Boy Is A Box's Avatar

Not bad at all. Bart going crazy seemed a bit rushed, but y'could see where it came from.

4/5 overall, I liked Marge's glasses, ghost sex (Moaning part especially), and the hobo.
    HOMER: And Gummy Joe, where would you be without the Dental Plan?

GUMMY JOE: I wouldn't have old "chopper" here, that's for sure!

Since everyone has already said what I was thinking I'll just make this quick. I felt that I wanted to like this episode but for some reason it just doesn't work as it should. Not a bad effort though, there were definitely elements here which I enjoyed, such as Bart being crap at the end with the town trying to go along with it.

I down right hated the future ending, but I also hate the one at the end of the Itchy and Scratchy movie episode. Seeing the characters older for a few dumb gags has never sat right with me, especially having to look at the rushed out boring designs they do. Also am I the only one getting sick of a verbal gag being said, then the character retardly acts it out. Here we had the Marge waling, last episode we had Moe running under a bridge and stomping up and down, and of course that horrible gay/crazy sailor from the beginning of the season, who would laugh crazy, make kissy face at Homer, then repeat.

I didn't really need to see the boss at Costington's again either, just bad memories of Kill Gill that need to be left alone. I'll give it 3/5.

Quote Originally Posted by Good-Time Slim

EDIT: And for Bart being out of character, it would have made more sense for him to spraypaint "I Hate Bart Simpson" because he was trying to make the town mad at the vandal who did it, taking their hatred off him and even make them feel bad for him. THAT would have been a Bart move, not going nuts and trying to fall to his death
    That was the angle I thought they were going to go with when we first saw that line sprayed across town.

Hi im new and I thought Boys Of Bummer was great 4/5.

Pin Pal

it was funny but not to good of a story 3/5

Well, I finally found a download that works, so I am now ready to post a (biased) review.

I didn't think too much of the baseball plot, to be honest, although I did identify with how upset Bart was; I've often felt like the whole world is against me, and it sucks. And as for Marge's "I'm also pleased?" That could have been done better. The only thing I really liked about this was the 'Bart stinks' song, for some stupid reason.

And now, onto the bit that made me count down the days in the first place... the mattress thing.

It got off to a shaky start, to be honest, but IMO (here I go again) it got better when the Lovejoys came in. But don't think I enjoyed every single minute of it; I wasn't too keen on hearing about Lovejoy's 'problems' ("We tried to raise Cain, but we weren't able." Yes, I know what that means), and as for them making out - well, I won't deny, I did expect something like that, but why the heck couldn't they at least have waited until Homer was out of the room? Was the mattress that good? Oh, well, at least they kept their clothes on.
    Now, I'll make a list of the good stuff;

- Seeing their house again (it hasn't changed, unlike their bedroom, which has now changed three times. God, I can't believe I noticed that. )
    - The 'this little light' song. I really, really liked that. Definately my favourite part of the episode.
    - Helen 'schlepping'. That, in my opinion, was really funny. Why? I don't know.
    - Maggie Roswell. Ever since 'Tennis the Menace', I've been slightly picky about Helen's voice. She was on top form here.
    - Just seeing them again. I mean, God, it was worth the wait. I know it's just my obsession talking, but I just can't find this bad (apart from the making out bit).

4/5 for the mattress plot. Not perfect, but I like this better than anything else this season.

One question, though: when Homer and Marge were sneaking along the landing, they passed a picture of the Lovejoys together. Does anyone know where I can get a screenshot that features that particular picture?

He smells like hotdogs Twenty-Two to Sixteen's Avatar

2/5

I've been saying it ever since season 11, the show seems to now only gear to kids. I know many, including myself, like to see the kids in "kid" situations. It just seems that the side jokes are not intellegent. Background jokes have been reduced to characters falling or farting. They need to bring in someone with knowledge of some history. Also this episode could've pulled out many baseball and sports in general references.

I used to learn, not much but something, from watching OFF. Now, nothing just stupid fart jokes and cheep sex jokes designed to entertain someone who hasn't had it yet.

BTW it was great to see Lovejoy back!
    "Wait: Did you know that there"s a direct correlation between the decline of Spirograph and the rise in gang activity? Think about it."
    - Dr. S

Quote Originally Posted by Twenty-Two to Sixteen
    It just seems that the side jokes are not intellegent. Background jokes have been reduced to characters falling or farting.
    Falling and farting? Hmm... didn't see that much of that in this episode or many others for that matter.

P.S.- You misspelled 'intelligent.'

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Twenty-Two to Sixteen
    2/5

I've been saying it ever since season 11, the show seems to now only gear to kids. I know many, including myself, like to see the kids in "kid" situations. It just seems that the side jokes are not intellegent. Background jokes have been reduced to characters falling or farting. They need to bring in someone with knowledge of some history. Also this episode could've pulled out many baseball and sports in general references.

I used to learn, not much but something, from watching OFF. Now, nothing just stupid fart jokes and cheep sex jokes designed to entertain someone who hasn't had it yet.

BTW it was great to see Lovejoy back!
    My nominee for most ignorant thread ever. This No Homers Club, not No Peters Club.

Falling and farting? You're an idiot.

Seriously? How often do they do fart jokes? I can think of like three right now and one is from King Size Homer.

And they've always had sex jokes. They just used to be more subtle and funnier. =p

He smells like hotdogs Twenty-Two to Sixteen's Avatar

Thanks for correcting my error. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to post about it. Typed too fast.

My point about fart and falling jokes was just to point out the stupid jokes that only preteens laugh at. If you didn't see any falling, you missed the part where Bart couldn't catch the ball and kept stumbling and falling. Also, when for some reason Milhouse ran into a poll in fair grounds. Stupid humor has appeared more consistently in the last few years. Slapstick humor is funny if not overdone.

"No Peters Club" what the hell does that even mean. Family Guy has been very similar since day one. I don't care much for FG, but when you watch it you know what you're gonna get. I, like many here, hold Simpsons to a high standard. My point about the sex language is that when they used to talk about it, it included a more mature angle at it while lowering the vulgarity so kids could still enjoy it. This episode made me feel like I was watching through Barts point of view. It's just my opinion, and I'm sorry you actually appear to not have noticed that the Simpsons now tries to appeal mostly to preteens. Keep enjoying the show. I was always one who wanted OFF to stay on forever. Now, I don't even care about watching it. I'm just waiting for the movie and hope it's alot more "INTELLEGENT".

but i'm a vampire General Jack D. Ripper's Avatar

It really didn't take up any time and wasn't intended to be a really good funny joke when Bart was chasing the ball. And Milhouse running into the pole is one joke where a character is hurt in one episode...okay, they really need to lay off those jokes if they did one in an episode! ;-/ Where were any fart jokes in the episode, let alone in the background? Your argument is really flimsy and stupid, so make some real points that make sense or just stop posting that the episode sucked for no valid reason.

EDIT: Its a bad thing if you feel like you're watching through Bart's eyes? It's a Bart episode! It wants you to feel like that! That's the point of having it about him. If they wanted you to fell like you're watching through Homer's eyes, then they would've made it a Homer episode.
    Last edited by General Jack D. Ripper; 05-05-2007 at 06:29 AM.

Drone At Sector 7-G HappyLittleElf's Avatar

I was really excited about this episode but was overall....disappointed. I thought that the first act of the show was really well written and had a few good jokes here and there. And the whole Homer sleeping in the furniture store bed was brilliant. But for acts 2-3 I felt like it strayed off a lot from the first act. I did not like the whole Bart hating himself thing that insanely thing and really liked the do-over baseball game part until it got repetitive. So overall the episode was okay and so I give it a 2/5. However I did enjoy the subplot with Marge and Homer trying to get their matress back from Rev. Lovejoy and Helen.
    Last edited by HappyLittleElf; 05-05-2007 at 11:10 AM.
    You want the truth! You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! Bah! I deride your truth handling abilities!

Banned

No DYK or FYI for this episode?

Odd.

chunkylover lover

Thumbs Down

Quote Originally Posted by The Southern Dandy
    I feel this way too, but I think everyone here is way too kind to this episode. Maybe they're just used to this level of quality in The Simpsons because they've been watching it consistently for years, but as someone who has only watched the last few seasons on and off, I was shocked by how poor this episode was, and everyone here is much more forgiving of its flaws than I could ever be. I would rate it as low as an episode can be rated.

yeah, i 100 percent agree. this episode seemed lazy and the bart plot was logy, the homer marge sex plot was just i don't know ruff, bark, chewy, it was another homer gets a new job- O and I HATE how blase the writers have gotten about givign homer a new job, even homer rolls his eyes when he gets a new job. yeah i get the joke, we're all supposed to be in on it, but COME on this isn't behind the laughter.

eh-mms
    I thought it would be nothing but glory, you know the glory of being a clown?

DYN

“Warning: Your child is not as good as you think he is”

The little league baseball team “The Isotots” includes Dolph at 3rd, Wendell in LF, Bart at SS, Martin at 2nd, and Nelson pitching. Jimbo is in CF, Milhouse in RF. Ralph is catcher. Kearney’s on first base. Ned is the coach, and Rod and Todd ride the bench. An unnamed Hibbert boy rounds out the team.

“No more lazy Saturdays for you!” inadvertently indicates that the hot dog has been rolling and turning for -at least- over one week;

In the stands the first scene are the Hibberts, the Princes, Abe, Jasper and OJM, Skinner and Edna, the Van Houtens together, Sarah Wiggum, Willie, and Sherri & Terri

Nelson usually punches the ball to pitch them;

I think that it’s the same female Costington’s clerk as in ‘Dignity’; and Mr. Costington reprises the ‘shaking jowls’ he demonstrated in ‘Gil’. (I never understood the silly hostility that got over here. Mr. Costington – since his debut in “Titans” nine years ago – has been a 1940’s-movie-style big-businessman, and this affectation is typical of this stock character – sputtering, yelling, and jowl-shaking.)

The Costington’s shopping bag with a “C” on it – like Dr. & Mrs. Hibbert have, is a new design

The stakes for the town are extremely high – they have never won a championship, it’s a home game, and its against – gasp – Shelbyville. In the stands: OF, Quimby, Lenny, Edna, Agnes, Skinner, Larry, Barney, Sam, Bee Man, Mel, Largo, Krusty, Cletus, Stu, McCallister, Moe, Snake, Legs, Carl, Raphael, Patty, Fat Tony. They lose, 6-5.

.Luigi’s doesn’t deliver;

The Latino Sports Announcer reprises from ‘Abie’ and others (help?) – and he is on the Spanish radio station Que (Spanish for ‘what?’, and pronounced “K”) BBL 640 AM;

The Duff Blimp flies over Isotope Stadium, which hosts the game. There’s a topiary baseball mitt outside the stadium; advertisers on the stadium wall include ‘Sportacus’ Sporting Goods (debuted in ‘Star’), Kwik-E-Mart, Duff, Laramie, the snack bar, Buzz Cola, the Springfield Mall (“Big Deals only at Springfield Mall” w/ a pic of a moneybag), Buckingham Palace Quick Lube, “Lowest Rates” w/ a pic of a nondescript person, Krusty Burger

Wiggum’s police car is equipped with a convertible top – even the lights and siren fold up;

Bart used to have a real bunny rabbit (as opposed to Mr. Honeybunny), named Cottontail, which Homer killed by burying it alive – though he told Bart that the bunny “went to live upstate”;

At the baseball card show there are stands to “Meet your favorite greedy agent”, Ralph – who knows how he got there on his own - plays ‘Whack-a-Mascot’ (based on the ‘Whack-a-mole’ game) with the ‘mascots’ of a pink bear, the Philadelphia Phillies’ “Phanatic”, and the Capitol City Goofball, and to meet (fake) retired player Joe LaBoot;

Never has the name “Lovejoy” been more appropriate. They sing for the audience of Kent (odd, because he’s Jewish), Mrs. Glick, Ned, Rod, Kirk, Hoover, and Miss Allbright (notice that you can tell the front row just from the backs of their heads), the Hibberts, H&M, the Princes, Jack Marley, Smitty, Agnes, Skinner, Tex, Ruth Powers, Lenny, Carl, Mel, and nameless others;

It’s heartwarming to see a shirtless Barney lying in the gutter outside Moe’s, no?

A water tower conveniently exists in the neighborhood. Among the gathered: Chalmers, Apu, Kearney, Largo, Carl, Lenny, a weasel twin, Luann, Hibbert, Allbright, Moe, Dr. Nick, Sarah, Moleman, SVT, Glick, Jimbo, Jasper, Clancy, and Joe LaBoot;

Lenny has written a series of mystery novels; Moe reprises his mistaking Marge’s name, here with “Midge”;

This is the first scene in the Lovejoy home since “Girlfriend”, and they have a cross, serene seascapes, and a pic of Jessica on their walls. “You put on the Michael Bolton cd – I’ll put on the edible vestments!”

Also heartwarming to learn that, on what they call their honeymoon – apparently in-town - H&M made love on a mattress behind a billboard, with a bum watching;

He misses again, he’s hit by the ball; the ball hits and kills a passing bird; he’s hit by the drive and loses his clothes (see below); the in-play ball is destroyed by random lightning; Homer interferes with the ball (see below);

Moe streaks down the third-baseline;

Nelson goes from his ‘punch’-pitching, to regular pitching, to underhanded tossing, as the do-overs wear on; he catches it on the 78th try;

In this version of the future, the Retrirement Castle has expanded significantly, Milhouse isn’t bald (as he usually is portrayed), and Bart has liver spots and wears a bolo tie as Grampa does today.

REF

Quimby calls the town a “modern-day ‘Deadwood’”, referring to the titular old Western town in the just-completed HBO series – indicating a lawless, wild town;

“choo-choo trains” really do run through some malls to transport children around as a fun distraction, and ‘husband chairs” really are scattered around women’s departments in shops;

“Maaco” is a real US muffler shop – but Mickey Mantle wasn’t a real celeb they used in endorsement ads;

The “Keith Jackson” announcer uses “in the gloaming…”, and old-timey term for ‘twilight’; and his “The Isotots lose the pennant! The Isotots lose the pennant!” is a parody of a famous announcer call from _______game (help?)

Homer’s “oh, yeah - let’s see where that goes…” is a nice meta-comment on the subplot;

Apu’s “…floating on a river of corpses.” Refers to the Indian tradition of floating the corpse downriver;

“They can hear you in China!” is the cliché saying when one is speaking too load – Lovejoy says “they can hear you in fine china” – meaning the Costington’s Fine China (dishware) department - still too load, but a subtle joke;

The bullies cover “Love Stinks”, the 1980 hit from the J. Geil’s Band (as one can see from the band posters);

The baseball card show is held at the Shelbyville Grand Wailea Hotel – The real Grand Wailea is a fancy tourist spot in Maui, Hawaii. Shelbyville is far, far less exotic than that – so the name is a cheating mislead;

“Joe LaBoot” is a parody of a famous error-committer in the '40s. I don't know baseball at all - but Mike Price mentioned the specific person in the original version of his IGN interview... which is now edited down. Any baseball fanatics know the specific name?

The “Doritos with the flame on the bag” is their ‘fiery habanero’ flavor;

Lovejoy’s strained biblical puns: ‘raising Cain’ is ‘acting sinfully’, and Cain & Abel were Adam & Eve’s sons; and “resurrect our sex life”;

Helen ‘schleps’ (Yiddish for ‘drags’) the mattress and Time to the car in a parody of an old-fashioned comedy film scene, “shot on a slow-crank” and “played back fast”, so that the film it appears to be stop-motion-animation of fast action. It’s accompanied by an original recording of the tune “Flight of the Bumblebee”, which has been used by many old films and shows to indicate busy and fast work;

Elvis Presley had a lot of garish jewelry made – he found nothing too tacky;

A satisfied Tim & Helen now act like a Protestant traveling/evangelizing “ministering couple” – a la Jim & Tammy Faye Bakker in olden days, as they sing the traditional spiritual “This little light of mine”;

In the biblical story of “Wise King Solomon” the point was that he never had to cut the disputed child in half… the threat to do so elicited the true owner by their reaction to the idea. But I bet Tim is aware of this…

Within the series of Bart’s “do-overs”: when he’s hit by the ball and spins in the air, losing his clothes, it’s a parody of “Peanuts’” Charlie Brown – the same thing happens when he pitches to a hitter that drives the ball back at him; when Homer reaches out from the stand to interfere with the out, it’s a parody of the incident in game of the World Series in which fan Steve Bartman infamously did the same thing;

Marge’s “by accident, not by design” is a pool/billiards rule, not a general sports or baseball rule;

The “do-overs” montage is scored by an ‘old-timey’ instrumental of “Take Me Out to the Ball Game”.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Myers III

The “Keith Jackson” announcer uses “in the gloaming…”, and old-timey term for ‘twilight’; and his “The Isotots lose the pennant! The Isotots lose the pennant!” is a parody of a famous announcer call from _______game (help?)
    Giants-Dodgers 1951, Bobby Thomson

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Myers III
    DYN
    This is the first scene in the Lovejoy home since “Girlfriend”, and they have a cross, serene seascapes, and a pic of Jessica on their walls. “You put on the Michael Bolton cd – I’ll put on the edible vestments!”
    They also have a picture of Tim and Helen together, with Helen sitting on a chair and Tim standing up, with his hand on her shoulder. The wallpaper looks purple, but that might just be due to the light.

The Lovejoys' house appears to be right next to the church, which is pretty convenient (and slightly different to the game 'Simpsons Road Rage'). Where could they have been if they weren't there, though?

I also mentioned this earlier, but this is the third time we see their bedroom (the first two were in 'Dead Putting Society' and 'Diatribe of a mad housewife', in which they actually appeared to be in separate rooms). It has changed a third time. Their car, however, is still the same one we saw from season 11 onwards.

One minor change to 'Bart's Girlfriend', is that you didn't see their postbox in that episode. They have one, here; right next to the driveway.

Just for those of you who care, which, sadly, includes me.

Thread Information