View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
254. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

41 16.14%
  • 4/5

89 35.04%
  • 3/5

73 28.74%
  • 2/5

37 14.57%
  • 1/5

14 5.51%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "Yokel Chords" (JABF09)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Myers III
    The kids were voiced by Tress, Pam, and Nancy.
    I don't think more guest stars in the ep would have been an improvement.
    Yes, they should have Natalie Po... oh, I guess they are doing things like that already.
    You're right--Pam Hayden and Nancy Cartwright did do some of the kids. I personally would like to hear more kid voices from those two, actually, simply because they sound a lot more unique than Tress's to me (though that may be because Tress's stock kid voices permeate nearly every cartoon out there).

Yeah, I thought Natalie Portman voicing a kid was a good decision in a recent ep...I do think there've been some positive traits in a lot of recent episodes, after all. :silly: Heck, I gave "Little Big Girl" a B and the phenomenal "Springfield Up" an A...
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Well, Price is rewritten just as much as everyone else in the staff - 70-85%; you're falling into that common trap of judging a large amount based solely on the 'credited' name. Additionally, Price didn't even come up with the Bart subplot - which you and others seem to feel was the 'better' of the two plots. I don't think that you might have caught on to how 'exploited' the kids were by Krusty.

Oh I know that it's hard to judge the quality of a writer by what episodes they've been credited with. However there comes a point when you wonder why Michael Price's episodes have all been free of some of the most irritating aspects of modern Simpsons, and why, say, Tim Long consistently seems to be credited with the some of the worst episodes ever produced. And, to me anyway, the fact that Michael Price didn't come up with the concept of the Bart plot isn't that relevant. He still had to make something of it regardless as to whether he pitched it or not.

Also I realise the kids were exploited by Krusty, I just don't feel it was done in a way that was either particularly funny or dramatically interesting. That's what I mean when I say I think the Lisa plot needed punching up, because it ended up a little flat by the end.

welcome to my town sacrelicious's Avatar

It's taken me two days to get my review on here, but don't expect anything grand.

It didn't suck--that's my conclusion--but it didn't have any of the wow factor or even really rememberable jokes or funny stuff. The only reason this didn't suck is the dialog between Meg Ryan's character and Bart.
    Notoriety for whatever reason, never seems to benefit the noted, only the 'notees'

Junior Camper

Favorite line:

Martin: Tell us all you know!
    Bart: Alright, imagine I'm holding a flashlight under my face.....
    Milhouse: AHHHH!

Bart: My dad never took me on the merry-go-booger. He was always passed out in the parking snot
    Last edited by jim2386; 03-06-2007 at 01:07 PM.

Upon reflecting a bit, I remembered some of this episodes finer moments. There were three really good bits for me--the Dark Stanley European-style animation and music, the Mad-Lib segment, and the generally excellent direction during the songs (particularly the first few). I'll bump up the grade to a C+ for now.

has a smack of ham to him. kid_presentable's Avatar

I thoroughly enjoyed this. It was a pleasant suprise. 4.2 out of 5 from me. Pretty good jokes, a very well done plot with Bart and the Lisa Plot was above average also. Yay!

Choke on your lies!!!

back in black

I liked this episode. The first act was excellent, and I was really looking forward to the last two - they weren't as good, but still satisfying. I liked the way they handled the musical theme - every time someone breaks into song, they have "a reason to" (like trying to think), and the songs weren't overdone like they are in some musical episodes. Very well done.

I assume that Cletus' seven children was supposed to be a "Sound of Music" reference - where were the other 26? (I liked those childrens' names better, too - especially Q*Bert!) The ending could have been better too. Otherwise, an excellent show. I gave it 4/5.
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DumHonkey

However, now when I hear people complain about somthing in the current seasons, then I see similar humor or joke or tone in "classic" Simpsons, it makes me feel better about the current state of the show.
    Those 'tones' in the 'classic years' were either toned down compared to their modern counterparts, or they were fewer and farther between. (for the record, I hated Bart Gets an Elephant and Krusty gets Kancelled.)

Now, take away the 'surreal' moments and compare the old show to the new show: the old show felt like a skewed version of the typical family (NO, I didn't just say the 'classic' era was 100 percent realistic), while the new show is a standardized cartroon. Being an empathatic comedy was why the show became popular, otherwise it would've been a "Married with Children" with yellow skin or a South Park without the swearing.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Peter
    (I liked those childrens' names better, too - especially Q*Bert!)
    Gotta admit, I also was eager to see which one was Q*Bert.

*sigh*

A man can dream though.

A man can dream.

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

just 'walking in' wouldn't nearly have cut it. The humor was entirely based in their unloading on swanson, particularly in the delivery of the double-entendres.
    Just walking in was funnier than all the double-entendres in the world. The fact that a counselor would see a store clerk and the guy who constantly robs him is funnier than any double entendre. Even if you do have those lines, there were far too many of them. Please cut 5.
    Favorite Episodes (by Season): Season 1: Krusty Gets Busted, Call of the Simpsons
    Season 2: Blood Feud, Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, Bart the Daredevil
    Season 3: Radio Bart, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Bart the Murderer
    Season 4: Homer the Heretic, Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Front
    Season 5: Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song
    Season 6: Bart's Girlfriend, Bart of Darkness, Homie the Clown
    Season 7: Summer of 4ft 2, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart Sells His Soul
    Season 8: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, The Springfield Files, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
    Season 9: Girly Edition, The Cartridge Family, Lisa the Skeptic
    Season 10: They Saved Lisa's Brain, Lisa Gets an A, Simpsons Bible Stories
    Season 11: Grift of the Magi, Brother's Little Helper, Beyond Blunderdome
    Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer, The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Trilogy of Error
    Season 13: The Bart Wants What It Wants, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, Sweets and Sour Marge
    Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, The Bart of War, Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington
    Season 15: Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Tis the Fifteenth Season, The Wandering Juvie
    Season 16: Thank God It's Doomsday, The Heartbroke Kid, Fat Man and Little Boy
    Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Marge's Son Poisoning, Bart Has Two Mommies
    Season 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple, 24 Minutes, Little Big Girl
    Season 19: The Debarted, Midnight Towboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
    Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone, Take My Life Please, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words

Junior Camper

Well, the plot was a little dull...not bad in theory, but I just couldn't find myself getting very interested in either story, Lisa's in particular. That being said, the jokes were either solid or not cringe worthy bad, and characterization was pretty much spot on.

Also, I loved the animation for Bart's little horror story.

You know when Cletus plays the Harmonica? He's playing the 12 Monkies theme.
    Was that the same thing playing during Bart's story? I thought it sounded very familiar.

Odd...another episode that improved for me with a rewatch. Oh well, B- is the new grade from this increasingly-tolerant NHC member. Some extra lines I liked that no one's mentioned yet:

"Aw, ya never let Willie be Willie!"

"That's rated Bad for Everyone!"

"You kids got talent--and I should know, I used to have it."

"Look at those dumb hillbillies! I bet they don't even know what...something is!"

Steven Sondheim quickly smiling after getting hit with Krusty's wad of paper was quite a funny visual gag.

Oatmeal Enthusiast

did anyone notice Willie's voice was a little different?
    Nobody doesn't not not like Moe!

Click to get cool Animations for your MySpace profile
    MySpace Codes!

(I know that once I change my title, someone will have the same idea)
    The Ninth Octuplet

Finally saw this :

Lot of well-done and well-executed moments and references. One thing certainly should not be griped about this episode : lack of subtlety. None of the jokes appeared forced to me. Fantastic animation direction in Bart's "Dark Stanley" segment. The songs were not gut-burstingly hilarious, but were not completely uninspired either, just about likeable enough. Secondary characters were utilised well and written into the story with fairly creative situations. Missed jokes were few and thankfully were fairly low-key moments so as not to mar the quality too much. Lisa's role was kind of flat and one-note, but Bart's characterisation was refreshing to see.

The main problem of this episode ? It lacked cohesion. There were no thematic link between the two storylines and the main plot often felt like it could further development to make it less light-weight, so the transitions from the main plot and subplot came off as uneven and the episode at times truly felt like too much had been crammed into it. The subplot was thoroughly fun, in fact, it had the potential to sustain a full episode. But the main plot fizzled out in the third act and ended on a weaker note, especially compared to the first two act.

Lot of well-done humour and references, somewhat lacking in plotting. B/B-
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

The biggest problem with this episode IMO was that all the scenes with Krusty lacked pizazz. Krusty used to be consistently hilarious but pretty much every Krusty moment in the Jean era (exception: I'm Spelling as Fast as I Can) has been mediocre at best.

Apart from that, it was decent - heck, it was adequately satisfastory (I think I've done that joke too many times now...). The animation was great, the plot flowed fairly well IMO. Though I think Bart's plot should have been the main focus and Lisa's plot the "crazy subplot" cos it seemed that more could be done with Bart's plot.

Question: do you think there has been an influence from the old writers who came back for the movie? Maybe they stuck their head round the door of the writers room and contributed a few thoughts? (Probably not but it would make sense)
    Simpson Crazy
    Now with iGoogle gadgets! Try Quote of the Day and Word of the Day

my other sites: Toon images · Song Lyrics · Website tutorials

Where's My Burrito?

Quote Originally Posted by Imperciph
    One thing certainly should not be griped about this episode : lack of subtlety
    One subtle touch that I just loved--and haven't noticed a mention of yet--was Homer's slight turning of the coffee cup to reveal the smiley face as he reassured Marge that everything had been taken care of. I also enjoyed the subsequent gag that he'd naturally done a very poor job of it, and Lisa's sandwich diagram was amusing, although Bart having Grampa's medication wasn't quite as funny to me as "a packet of sugar and peanut butter smeared on a playing card."

I think I may have been a bit harsh to it grading wise. Its still not my favorite of this season but I do think its a 3/5.

Its been surprisingly well recieved in other parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyosuki
    I think I may have been a bit harsh to it grading wise. Its still not my favorite of this season but I do think its a 3/5.

Its been surprisingly well recieved in other parts.
    I had the same problem with the overall storytelling as you did, but just not to the same degree. But most of the characters and gags were written well enough for me so that I was able to look past the problems I had with the story and enjoy it by quite a fair amount.

Above-average.

B

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

Also I just remembered - the Chalmers/antiques joke some people were complaining about - I thought it was going to be a "screw you" joke, but in the end it wasn't. But wait...that makes it a "screw you" joke!

I really don’t know what to make of this one. I really liked the interaction between Skinner and Chalmers, which although has been done before was still funny to watch. The Lisa subplot was fine though the ending was quite slapdash. Bart’s subplot wasn’t that memorable and didn’t quite work for me.

All together its hard to say that this episode worked but still it wasn’t a bad attempt and it was quite a different experience to watch (which was meant in a refreshing sort of way). C+

Kinda late review Oh well. I gave this episode a 5/5 I really enjoyed it. It was very funny(Music, fake flashlight, Barts therapist,and etc.). I also liked the animation of Dark stanely.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd like to say that the "Cultural Things" musical number has grown on me on rewatching. The choreography of the number is one of the most original we have had recently and the song is at least a little bit catchy. There were also a lot of well done cultural references. The part with Agness making a weird sound with her arm was a little disgusting, but still.

The use of music in this episode was spectacular overall. Willie's rodeo sequence had excellent music and of course the 12 Monkies theme worked quite well too, even the music Stephen Sondheim played at the piano was entertaining and very well fitted to Krusty's movements.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

I really enjoyed this episode, it was actually very clever and it didn't seem dumb like other episodes this season. What annoyed me though was that the two stories could have made great episodes on thier own and then the episode would have felt less rushed. One thing that did annoy me though is Marges voice, it sounds really annoying and grating. There were also a lot of great classic worthy gags.
    4/5

Quote Originally Posted by Malachy
    Above-average.

B
    I concur.

B
    Season 31 Ratings
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content C+ Go Big or Go Homer ​C- The Fat Blue Line ​C+ Treehouse of Horror XXX ​C- Gorillas on the Mast ​B Marge the Lumberjill C- Livin La Pura Vida ​B- Thanksgiving of Horror ​B Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? ​C Bobby It's Cold Outside ​B- Hail to the Teeth ​D- The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson ​B+ Frinkcoin D+ Bart the Bad Guy ​B+ Screenless ​B Better Off Ned ​C- Highway to Well ​C The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby ​C+ Warrin' Priests ​C- The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds ​B

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

I thought it was cool, but again pretty disjointed and rushed. The Lisa plot sort of came out of nowhere, although the setup was funny, I didn't really find too much interesting. I'm not sure why....maybe because everything felt too rushed. The songs weren't all that memorable, but most were interesting. But to be honest, I didn't really care much about what was happening, and the ending was abrupt and sort of came out of nowhere too.

I really liked Bart's plot though. Very funny, with heart, and was more than enough to keep me watching. The Dark Stanley part felt near classic, great to see Bart thinking these things up again. If only we could have seen more time devoted to this story, especially its resolution - and maybe more time on Marge getting concerned over Bart, it could have easily made a fantastic episode.

I also have to say the character design, direction and animation was brilliant in this one. I wish it could be like this every episode, and this alone helped to prop it up. I think I'll go with a B- overall.

I don't know why Al Jean is so obsessed with Iraq - please stop with those jokes! They get more cringeworthy each time. And the hammer thing was just too far, even if it was only a quick line.

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

Just another mexican guy

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzyWuzABear
    You're right, it would've been funnier if they'd used him imo

Edit: Btw, Homer had like 30 seconds of screen time...I wonder if that's a record
    Present Homer didn't appear at all (Along with Present Marge and Present Maggie) in Future-Drama

Quote Originally Posted by zoidkat
    Anyone know if the Stanley sequence was a parody of anything (animation wise)?
    I dont know about the animation but the story may have been a reference to the sondheim musical sweeny todd in which people are made into pies

laughing time is ovah! Henrik P's Avatar

First act was brilliant, second was good and the third was horrible. B

To start, I thought the Dark Stanley part was one of the best things I've seen on The Simpsons in a while.

Bart's subplot was excellent, great to watch and well developed. I wish they made that happy hour line a bit more subtle and I had no problem with the hammer line.

Lisa's plot, on the other hand, I thought was horrific. It didn't really go anymore and felt extremely underdeveloped. It deviates totally from teaching the kids which I thought would have been much better than the stupid Krusty hiring them plot (we only saw them perform once too?). The kids were just so underdeveloped, we barely saw into them, we learned little to nothing about their life under Krusty, and Lisa was pretty much shoved out of the way. And there really was no point to make it parody The Sound of Music when it was nothing like it other than some forced similarities.

The Funny person with a big nose joke had me dying.

But yeah, excellent subplot, horrendous main plot. I really don't see how anyone coulda liked it...

2/5

I don't know why Al Jean is so obsessed with Iraq - please stop with those jokes! They get more cringeworthy each time
    Agreed

Furthermore, at this point, I just want them to lay off Fox. It's just getting forced and predictable now x-x

Thread Information