View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
254. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

41 16.14%
  • 4/5

89 35.04%
  • 3/5

73 28.74%
  • 2/5

37 14.57%
  • 1/5

14 5.51%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "Yokel Chords" (JABF09)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Quote Originally Posted by Sten Sture
    Have you heard of a thing called paragraphs?
    Overrated.

It's really fun reading my term papers.

Oh, useless observation.

You know when Cletus plays the Harmonica? He's playing the 12 Monkies theme.

but i'm a vampire General Jack D. Ripper's Avatar

4.5/5
    As usual, Michael Price remains one of the best joke writers of the Jean era. Some of the really funny parts were the school psychiatrist, the whole Dark Stanley thing (classic Bart antics), the asians putting on an act for Homer, Homer's writing on his money, some of cletus's kid's names (crystal Meth), Sad libs (the book actually looked exactly like mad libs), Snake and Apu counseling, Stephen Sondheim's jingle, and the resolution to Bart's story. (Was dark Stanley real?!?!)

One complaint I have is the songs. There were only about 3 I think less than a minute each, and weren't even that entertaining. The only one I really enjoyed or laughed at was Skinner and Chalmers's. I wouldn't really classify this as a real musical.

And one more thing. I just thought of a joke they could've used: Instead of having the kids run through Chalmers's colognes, they could've had Krabapple fall on it. (because we saw her knocked out of a window that may have been on the second floor.) And then the kids run out the door. Just something I came up with.

Mad without power

Michael Price was the writer? Big surprise there, though I think it's odd that he's done two musicals in a row.

(Little side note - I've peeked at a few other boards tonight that aren't solely dedicated to the Simpsons, and I've seen multiple posts in a row reading "Worst episode ever" or "This is the exact reason why the writers need to kill off Lisa" or "It was a Lisa episode, so of course it sucked". At least people bitch logically here and have an idea of how this show and its characters work...)
    Season 19 Ratings - Now More Bitter Than Ever!
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs -

but i'm a vampire General Jack D. Ripper's Avatar

Your side note is completely correct Corkus. It irks me to no end on how some other boards see the Simpsons. "Lisa just complains! She's the stupidest character ever! Back to the glory days season 11!" Sorry, just because someone brought that up, I had to get that off my chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy
    Can we get Michael Price to write every new episode? Like all his other episodes, this was mercifully free of such irritating afflictions as forced and totally unnatural dialogue and cringeworthy jokes. It's disappointing we only get one episode a season from him.

For the first two acts I thought this was going to stomp hard on every episode this season. The third act wasn't too hot though; they didn't really take the Krusty/kids/Lisa storyline in as interesting a direction as I thought they could and it ended up fizzling out quite blandly which was a shame. The guest spots were weak, Meg Ryan aside, and they would have been better off punching up the Lisa story because it felt a little flimsy by the end. Maybe either a development of Lisa's role or the exploitation of the kids by Krusty would have given it more purpose. Also, because there was so much in the episode, the songs felt very short and underdeveloped, although they were likeable.

Like My Fair Laddy this wasn't an episode to have you rolling on the floor, but it was well paced, had lots of amusing moments and charming writing. The first act was the best I have seen in a long time and the whole episode had the feeling of being longer than it actually was which is always a good sign.

Some of the gripes in this thread are absolutely ridiculous by the way. Marge isn't advocating Bart seeing a prostitute, she's unaware of the implications of what she is saying which is very Marge. The hammer thing isn't a big deal; if there was any visual representation it would be disturbing but it is implied and so gets away with the dark aspect of it. As for complaining about Skinner holding up Chalmers or Homer's breast reduction money...I don't even get what the complaints are, bizarre things to pick at.

So on the whole I thought this had two strong acts and one weak but still watchable act. Bart got another good role, the dialogue was funny, there was another ton of creative sequences, Susie Dietter did a fantastic job. All in all this was a very satisfactory outing and I enjoyed it more than any other episode this season.

B/B+
    Thumbs up.
    The Skinner holding up Chalmers thing is ridiculous to complain about. First of all, during a musical number I think it's carte blanche for any surreal stuff to be thrown in (plenty of fantasy in the musical numbers in "Supercalifragilis..." and "Two Dozen and One Greyhounds". Plus, it is a cartoon. Johnny Carson spinning a Buick over his head, Homer holding up a motorcycle, it doesn't matter really.

I think my only gripe about the episode was another "pointing out the obvious joke set-up" bit, which was the Chalmers cologne thing. They've done this joke similarly a number of times, like in "Kill Gil" with Burns and Smithers, for example.
    Signature.

Pin Pal

susie dietter was the dirctor of this episode.

I was glad to see Susie Dietter back as a director (I think this is the first Simpsons she's directed since 'Lisa the Simpson"), as I loved her Futurama work (especially "Godfellas", which was the second-to-last thing she directed before tonight's episode) and this episode, like that, had some very memorable visual parts. The stories worked very well, too.

I loved every part of this episode, especially the Gorey-inspired sequence, which is one of the most visually striking sequences in a long time. Bart being emotional finally felt realistic, and Lisa coming to like her tutoring job was enjoyable as well. Nothing in this episode felt forced, and even Homer being an out of control drunkard worked within the context of the story.

Easily a 5/5 episode.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 03-04-2007 at 11:29 PM.

Junior Camper

A pretty uneven episode. The Lisa subplot was cute, but lacked some necessary substance to make it more interesting. The Bart sublot was good, with some good humorous bits, but seemed a bit too strange with the whole "relationship" bit.

The musical scenes were a bit underwhelming aside from some fun moments, though I chuckled at Skinner's comment on Chalmer's singing voice. The "Sound of Music" theme seemed to hold true and offered an interesting parallel, but lost steam once Krusty showed up.

Seemed on par with the "Bart's High School Girlfriend" (name escapes me...)episode in that it seemed there was a rather strong emphasis on humor and wackiness along with a rather hollow plot. It also seemed a bit too soon to parody another Hollywood Film musical featuring a secondary bit character after "My Fair Laddy". I hope next season doesn't have a "West Side Story" themed plot or something with Disco Stu.

Overall, 3/5

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I really enjoyed President and My Fair Laddy, but Jean's third musical episode falls a bit flat in my eyes. The main issue I had was that the Spuckler kids were simply not interesting, funny, or empathetic characters at all. And having nearly all of them voiced by Tress was a mistake--I'm completely sick of her voice for pretty much every non-main kid character in the show. Why not have some guest stars voice kids more often, like Meryl Streep and Natalie Portman? This is something that's been annoying me with the show for a long time. And the plotting of Lisa's story felt pretty rushed and uninteresting. It didn't really take advantage of the Sound of Music parody very well (no "So Long, Farewell" spoof? That would practically write itself!), and I simply didn't find it to be that interesting or funny.

Moving beyond that point, the other major issue I had was with the way they handled the songs. While there was some clever wordplay for people familiar with The Sound of Music (like the "seven teeth" line), the songs were WAY too short and underdeveloped to make a lasting impression. They lasted, at most, thirty seconds, like the writers were scared of losing the audience's attention. Don't be afraid to take risks! While Laddy and TPWP had fairly short songs as well, they were still long enough to be entertaining and still feel complete.

On the plus side, I did enjoy Bart's little subplot, even if it felt a tad tired after him developing a crush two episodes ago. The Dark Stanley segment was done particularly well, and it got me hoping that the entire episode would be of high quality. The subplot mainly worked for what it was, and it ended on a nice "clueless" note with Marge and a surprising reference to where it all started--with the psychiatrist's son being a victim of Stanley (a fairly dark ending).

Direction-wise, it was very good. Joke-wise...eh, it was okay. One of the better moments involved the Mad-Libs, it just felt very real to me. And I liked Bart's "And..my dad never takes me on the Merry-Go-Booger. He's always passed out in the parking snot." Caught me off guard. Overall, nothing too bad, but very little to really laugh at either. The first act had the best gags, and the very strange visual with the alarm clock caught me off guard and got a laugh. I have two pet peeves with a couple jokes in this episode. The first is the extremely obvious set-up between Chalmer and Skinner carrying the antique collectibles. You'd think the show would be above expository dialogue like that, but here we are. In fact, I expected a fake-out gag at that point, since the real gag was so obvious. Same thing goes for Cletus's "I ain't spent their money on naught but necessities!" followed by the saw-it-comin' gag of the dog being in the gold. The other nitpick is the writers' lack of game knowledge...and this is something more nerdy, but if shows like South Park can pull it off, then The Simpsons should too. GTA is the most obvious, banal game parody you can really pick, and seeing it depicted as some sort of fighting game was kind of embarrassing. It's like the writers have never touched a controller in their life. Eh, but this is just the Nintendo gamer in me being picky, so ignore this complaint if you like.

3/5, C

Some DYNs:

-Cletus's kids: Whitney, Chitney, Dubya, Incest, Crystal Meth, International Harvester, Birthday

-Cletus's full name is now Cletus Del Roy Spuckler. I think it's kinda funny that they cleared it up that way (his last name has been both Del Roy and Spuckler in the past).

-The songs were parodies of (in order) "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria," "The Sound of Music," "My Favorite Things," and "I Am Sixteen Going on Seventeen."

EDIT: Steven Sondheim wrote "Send in the Clowns." I can't believe they didn't make any sort of joke or reference about that! I mean, Krusty is right there!
    Last edited by TriforceBun; 03-05-2007 at 12:21 AM.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Just re-watched the episode. Really a great one, I think I'm boosting my 4 to a 5. The dialogue felt very natural throughout. Particularly, I though Bart's little relationship with the psychiatrist was touching and felt realistic. Bart's lines were good too, being especially mean to the woman at first ("I've been to as many psychiatrists as you've been on bad dates"), which I think is more like his old self than the really kid-like characterization he's had lately. This was probably my favorite Bart performance in recent memory.

one thing I liked quite a bit about this episode, and other Michael Price episodes, is that all the characters act naturally, and there are hardly any forced jokes or OOC moments. Not to mention a lack of cliches, like Lenny and Carl innuendo, or dramatic Sideshow Mel one-liner.

Oatmeal Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco
    Thumbs up.
    The Skinner holding up Chalmers thing is ridiculous to complain about. First of all, during a musical number I think it's carte blanche for any surreal stuff to be thrown in (plenty of fantasy in the musical numbers in "Supercalifragilis..." and "Two Dozen and One Greyhounds". Plus, it is a cartoon. Johnny Carson spinning a Buick over his head, Homer holding up a motorcycle, it doesn't matter really.

I think my only gripe about the episode was another "pointing out the obvious joke set-up" bit, which was the Chalmers cologne thing. They've done this joke similarly a number of times, like in "Kill Gil" with Burns and Smithers, for example.

I thought that about the colonge joke too. They should have done one of their fake-out jokes. It would have worked great with that set-up.
    Nobody doesn't not not like Moe!

Click to get cool Animations for your MySpace profile
    MySpace Codes!

(I know that once I change my title, someone will have the same idea)
    The Ninth Octuplet

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco
    Thumbs up.
    Amen Brother.

People act like there has never been anything cartoony or outragerous on The Simpsons before. I have been watching alot of "classic era" Simpsons latley and there are tons of unrealistic and cartoony moments. From Season 1 on.

At first I used to be annoyed by all the bitching when I first came on this forum. Especially people that are overly forceful on their opinions.

However, now when I hear people complain about somthing in the current seasons, then I see similar humor or joke or tone in "classic" Simpsons, it makes me feel better about the current state of the show.

Not saying every episode is great, just saying that maybe some classics aren't as great as we remember, and maybe some new ones aren't as bad as we perceive.

- DH

Now that I think about it... one could draw alot of paralells with SNL...

Riding off last week's fantastic episode, I get the feeling that a lot of people are going to rate this episode higher than they should. Myself included. I gave it a 4, even though I think I should have given it a three.

I gave it a 4 because I was completely won over by the experimental Charles Adams/Edward Gorey-esque animation while Bart was telling the story of the murdering cafeteria worker, Dark Stanley.

Still, it deserved a 3. The first act was a mess. We made it to a commercial break too quickly and, yet again, NO PLOT was established. None. It was a series of random events. Very poor story telling on the part of the writers. I always feel the episodes are weakest when they begin with the B plot, and then end the first act having barely established the A plot.

I did enjoy the Sound of Music references, but they didn't use them to their fullest potential. Not my favorite episode, but "My Fair Laddy" worked on the level that they committed themselves to the parody. "Yokel Chords", on the other hand, seemed to drop the Sound of Music concept entirely half way through the second act.

Actually, thinking about it in retrospect, it's hard to tell which was the A story and which was the B story. I really enjoyed Bart's moments with the therapist, and thought that portion of the episode actually worked. It had more comedic and emotional pull than the Lisa story.

I think the best thing for this episode would have been to make it 2 separate episodes. With these two disparate stories together, the episode lacked focus.

I don't think it deserves less than a 3, because though the episode is a mess, there were very few "roll my eyes and groan" jokes this time. There was the mandatory Season 18 gay joke, but (I'm ashamed to say) I actually laughed at this one.

To sum up, I should have given it a 3, but I gave it a 4. The Bart story really did work for me. Lisa's story didn't; though there were enough creative bits in Lisa's story that still made it enjoyable.
    Last edited by Jeff Vader; 03-05-2007 at 06:03 AM.
    Greatest post ever:
    "SLAYER DOESNT SUE PEOPLE SLAYER DOESNT PISS AND MOAN ABOUT BEING CELEBRITYS SLAYER DOESNT DO SHIT BUT OWN YOUR FUCKING ASS AND THEYVE BEEN DOING IT FOR ALMOST AS LONG AS METALLICA THATS WHY IT SHOULDVE BEEN GUITAR HERO SLAYER INSTEAD OF GUITAR HERO SELLOUT OLD FUCKS BUT FUCK IT ROCK BAND OWNS GUITAR HERO ANYWAY"
    quoth the Zodiac Motherfucker, The Onion A.V. Club

Music freaks join me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Morgodth

Quote Originally Posted by Galalimit
    I agree with you but sadly we are in the minority.
    I am also a part of your minority.
    I also don't understand voting 5/5 on many current episodes when considering what a 5/5 was in Seasons 1-9. (though, for some reason I gave this episode a 4/5)
    Last edited by Jeff Vader; 03-05-2007 at 06:00 AM.

StradlinGossardRichards

I may have been picking at things that seem minor. But just because Homer picked up a motorcycle or Carson spun a Buick over his head doesnt mean that they can do something daft again.

Oh by the way, I am new here and love how in-depth everyone goes. This is a great place.

The Chunnel's gonna blow!

Well, I loved it at first, but now I just think it was a bit above average. Some really good parts, but the plot was kind of all over the place, along with too many guest stars with only one line. Still, 4/5 - B/+
    Season 18 Grades
    The Mook, the Chef, the Wife and Her Homer: C+
    Jazzy and the Pussycats: D-
    Please Homer, Don't Hammer 'Em...: F
    Treehouse of Horror XVII: C-
    G.I. D'oh: B-
    Moe 'N' A Lisa: B
    Ice Cream of Margie (With the Light Blue Hair): B
    The Haw-Hawed Couple: B
    Kill Gil: Vols. 1 & 2: C
    The Wife Aquatic: N/A
    Revenge is a Dish Best Served Three Times: C
    Little Big Girl: A-
    Springfield Up: A-
    Yokel Chords: B
    Rome-old and Juli-eh: C-
    Homerazzi: B
    Marge Gamer: B-
    The Boys of Bummer: B
    Crook and Ladder: C-
    Stop Or My Dog Will Shoot!: C-
    24 Minutes: A-
    You Kent Always Say What You Want: C

Season Rankings
    4>7>3>8>6>5>2>9>1>10>15>13>14>12>18>11>17>16

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles Manson
    I am also a part of your minority.
    How are you part of his minority? You voted 4/5. Even if you voted 3/5, you still wouldn't be part of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles Manson
    I also don't understand voting 5/5 on many current episodes when considering what a 5/5 was in Seasons 1-9.
    This may shock you and make your head explode, so brace yourself; some people still enjoy the show. But you voted 4/5... so I don't get you. BTW, a large percentage of classic era episodes get 4/5 as the majority vote here.

Back on topic, I very much enjoyed this episode. Clearly Bart was fantastic, and I liked the Chinese restaurant people. Very humourous. The first act was practically perfect, good characterizations all around. I completely agree with zoidkat that they should have done a fake-out with the cologne joke. Anywhom let's cut to the chase- close call between 4/5 and 5/5, yet after re-watching and still really enjoying it I'll go ahead and give Yokel Chords a 5/5. Nice job!
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

You know, that Skinner and Chalmer's set-up really made me laugh. Of course it was totally obvious what was going to happen, but it reminded me of something from the classic era with the really obvious blatant explaining of what was going on, like Chalmers narrating how he found a penny stuck between two flowers in Whacking Day before Bart hit with him a tractor, it was the absurdity of how explanatory the dialogue was and how the audience knew full well what it was leading up to. They could have done a fake out but I found it funny the way it was.

I do agree that, parodically, the episode was definetely not as strong as past musical episodes. I've seen The Sound Of Music a lot in the past, particularly as a child, and I really don't think that you would have missed an awful lot if you hadn't seen it apart from which song was a parody of which. The third act in particular felt like they weren't even trying to parody it. It's hard to say what they should have done because the episode was bursting at the seams as it was and Bart's plot was pretty strong and I wouldn't want them to take away from his plot. I think, given the richness of The Sound Of Music as parody material, they would have been better off devoting a full episode to it.

With a full episode they could have also extended the songs. I thought they were fine and had some nice lyrics but they were too short. And I totally agree with whoever bemoaned the lack of a 'So Long, Farewell' parody,I thought that was a shoe-in given the concept of the episode. Also the ending felt kinda half-assed, the Brandine/Iraq thing didn't do much for me and it didn't really fit in as a parody. They could easily have used the ending of The Sound Of Music with the family escaping the Nazis as inspiration for the ending of this episode, with the kids having to escape being exploited by Krusty, which I think would have made the episode both more exciting and more of a true parody.

While I'm complaining (and I honestly did like the episode, but there were still ways I think they could have improved it), I didn't like the way the Bart plot ended that much. I thought the romantic angle was funny and all, I'm talking more about him working his way to a revelation where he realises that the way he behaves is because he doesn't want Homer and Marge to argue with each other or something. I kept waiting for them to undercut it but they never did and, bizarrely, played it totally straight. I'm not a fan of when the show goes and makes cod-psychological revelations about characters which I think ends up being reductionist and comes off as slightly silly (see also The Girl Who Slept Too Little or Hurricane Neddy). If they had followed that scene up with the idea that Bart was actually totally wrong about the reasons for his behaviour I wouldn't have a problem with it, but making this revelation seem sincere seemed a very odd choice to me. That aside though, I felt it was Bart's best portrayal and story in a hell of a long time.

Hmmm, I did genuinely enjoy the episode though, much as it sounds like I didn't. The past three episodes really feel as though they've made an effort and, while not perfect, they've felt a long way away from such nonsense as the season premiere or Kill Gil.

One man, no ducks

So for the sake of this episode, we finally have a fairly definitive sense of Cletus’ family, or at least how large it is. “Yokel Chords” is a fascinating show in that it wastes no time stringing together many of the types of set pieces that have proven the most resilient on “The Simpsons,” jumping from visual style parody to musical numbers with aplomb. Like “Springfield Up,” it benefits from largely solid joke writing and unconventional direction. It’s also the second episode of the last three in which we have a Lisa-exclusive A story and a Bart-exclusive B story or vice versa, which otherwise is pretty rare. Unfortunately, this episode’s attempts to simulate the sweetness of “Separate Vocations” or, hell, even the over-the-top sap of “’Round Springfield” are hobbled by the inability of its two stories to mesh with each other.

There are plenty of “Simpsons” episodes that competently balance sweet A stories with absurd B stories, and even a couple that go the other way. But “Yokel Chords” tries to tell two fairly earnest stories, each of which could have led another episode, without ever allowing the two to intersect. To be fair, these are not easy stories to link, but that’s precisely why they don’t belong in the same episode: It severely diminishes the power of either story, and since Homer and Marge have each led us down one of these two roads before, both need to break significant new ground to become effective rather than redundant.

Because these two stories are both rooted in beats we’ve seen before from the adults, the first act keeps this episode alive. While it seems more than a little schizophrenic, it has some of the best-observed kid acting the show has seen in a long time. And it’s aided in no small part by beautiful direction: The veeery slow creep in on Bart the storyteller followed by the quick wide cut was just one example of the kind of play with proscenium staging that’s been left wanting on “The Simpsons” since the departure of Jeffrey Lynch. Kudos to Dietter and crew.

Later on, though, the director can’t save Bart’s story, which by cheapening itself in act three squanders the influence of a very interesting psychiatrist figure. We haven’t seen anything like Meg Ryan’s character before on “The Simpsons,” where “Cuckoo’s Nest” is the only reference for mental institutions and the most contemporary mental health “professional” to date is Brad Goodman, and rather than pissing on her, we see her as the benevolent visitor, the Bergstrom. We get a solid basis for what we are expected to learn from that relationship, too (that acting as friend and playmate helps children open up to adults), but it fizzles when Bart’s separation anxiety begins to turn to obsessive crush. The Dark Stanley callback notwithstanding, I would have been more interested to see Marge attempt to learn from the psychiatrist’s approach rather than throw money at the problem in an attempt at closure. The resolution, for that matter, is so laughably unrealistic that it undermines the entire story -- you don’t instantly “get over” the traumatic stress of systemic child abuse and start talking pop psychobabble about your parents’ relationship simply by acknowledging it.

Lisa’s story is even more problematic because it’s both needlessly complicated (a high-concept version of the venerable “Lisa trying to prove she’s adult enough to handle a situation she can’t” story) and because it’s extremely derivative of “Eight Misbehavin’,” which is not exactly the best place to start cribbing beats. It’s also hobbled inherently by amping up the show’s already historically sophomoric Southerner-bashing. Contrasting those nearly constant jokes with over-the-top Krusty Judaica -- even copping to them, as the show does in the third act -- doesn't make them less hacky. And while I suspect that having seven kids to work with means it’s easier to throw in three musical numbers than to actually try and develop any of them, at least some of the time I spent remembering “The Sound of Music” could have been better spent trying to see something more of Cletus’ children than yokels who come to acknowledge that learning and family are good. This was no “Family Guy,” which didn’t have the courage to even touch “So Long, Farewell” -- they literally just animated it -- but one parody was more than enough. “The Monorail Song” accents the insanity of “Marge vs. the Monorail,” but it would not have belonged in a story about personal growth, like, say, “Duffless,” and I’m surprised that “Yokel Chords” so deliberately undercuts itself in this fashion.

To be fair, the focus is on what Lisa learns from this story -- certainly more than, say, Homer learns in “Eight.” And “Yokel Chords” is frequently bolstered by sparing (and good) use of support characters (Krusty, Skinner/Chalmers, even Homer), some superb child world-building when we get it, and what is, for “The Simpsons,” rare and surprisingly well observed racial humor. But there’s no disguising the problems at the heart of this episode, and it’s a shame to think what each of these stories taken separately (or Bart’s, at least) could have been.

3/5.
    Last edited by JM1878; 03-05-2007 at 08:42 AM.

I'm never that big on continuity with this show, but a few things concerning Cletus jumped out at me. First, they gave him the full name of "Cletus Del Roy Spuckler", which I liked, and second, none of his kids had the same names they did in the pretzel episode. I guess he and Brandine must've had more kids (or, Brandine did anyway since only two of them were Cletus').

Although I did enjoy some of the Sound of Music parody (mostly because I am very familiar with all the songs), I'm getting a little tired of Lisa plots that turn into musical parodies, like Evita and My Fair Lady.

The main plot wasn't all that bad, maybe it's because the subplot was so much better. It was great seeing a classic Bart scheme, I loved him shutting off the lights and having spaghetti as his brains. The scenes with him and the psychiatrist were also pretty good, too.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Was some of Cletus' children plot based on "The Sound of Music"? When they are singing about culture in Springfield it sounds like "A Few of My Favorite Things". I like the joke about Krusty being one of those funny people with weird big noses.

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy
    You know, that Skinner and Chalmer's set-up really made me laugh. Of course it was totally obvious what was going to happen, but it reminded me of something from the classic era with the really obvious blatant explaining of what was going on, like Chalmers narrating how he found a penny stuck between two flowers in Whacking Day before Bart hit with him a tractor, it was the absurdity of how explanatory the dialogue was and how the audience knew full well what it was leading up to. They could have done a fake out but I found it funny the way it was.
    I pretty much agree with this. The writers wanted to have a musical number and knew that there was no way for them to work it in organically, so the best thing to do is to admit that it doesn't work and make a couple of jokes about it. It's hanging a latern, it works well on the Simpsons

I like crumbs

Terrible Episode.

Only good part was Apu and Snake therapy. Rest was garbage. Worst episode this season so far.

1/5

It was boring and the jokes were mild.

1/5

Junior Camper

I am quite disappointed in this episode, especially since I thought the story with Lisa tutoring Cletus’ children had potential when I first read the summary and we just came off a terrific episode last week. But I did not like this episode.

The dark Stanley story was difference…but not in a good way. Obviously they were trying to go for a different style than they normally use to set it apart from the ‘real world’, but I don’t think it blended very well. Of course, how something is drawn is rather trivial if they can pull it off, but I did not like it for content, or as a plot piece, but I guess you had to find some way of getting him in trouble and sent to a psychiatrist.
    What happened to that other school psychiatrist….the man with the blue hair that we saw in ‘Bart the Genius’ and other episodes? He seemed qualified, but instead they replaced him with some other woman that we have never seen before for the joke of her running out the building scared.

The Bart story at the psychiatrist’s office afterward was OK and I think that the guest star who voiced her was good. I thought the joke(s) about Home going to the Chinese restaurant was good, until they turned the owners from just ‘Americans’ who put on a Chinese act to make money into thieves who get Homer drunk to take his wallet.

I am neutral towards all the songs they preformed. The first song (‘what are we going to do about Lisa…’) sounded vaguely familiar to me but I couldn’t place where they were getting it from. Then Cletus’ children introduced while standing in a line and, boom, it became obvious that the Simpsons were doing a bunch of Sound of Music parodies (with the first song, sung by Skinner and Chalmers [now AKA, Gary], being a take off on the first song in the Sound of Music and then briefly Lisa doing her equivalent of the movie’s title song…before falling off a cliff). While on the topic of Cletus’s kids….I did not like their names. First of all, it was previously shown that Cletus has dozens and dozens of kids (in the episode where Marge sells pretzels and Homer hires the mob to help). But then again, they showed all those kids as a joke…but at least they gave the kids ‘normal’ names, but now in this episode they have names like “Incest” and “Birthday”.

Then, when Lisa was teaching the children how a presidential veto is overridden…how quickly that turns into another song with them attending plays and browsing book stores (of course, makes perfect sense, if they don’t understand ‘government class’, then to explain it better you start teaching the fine arts).

The rest of the episode was unremarkably poor until it got the very end.
    When Brandine shows up in military fatigue and they begin making direct references to Iraq and 9/11/01, it sealed in my rating. I hate it when they reference those topics, especially so obviously, since for one it is not funny, and two it is a rather timely reference and years from now it will likely be viewed with much different eyes.

Disappointing,
    1/5

King of My World shark_vs_gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrjeffy321
    The dark Stanley story was difference…but not in a good way. Obviously they were trying to go for a different style than they normally use to set it apart from the ‘real world’, but I don’t think it blended very well. Of course, how something is drawn is rather trivial if they can pull it off, but I did not like it for content, or as a plot piece, but I guess you had to find some way of getting him in trouble and sent to a psychiatrist.

I totally agree. I'm glad I wasn't alone in my opinion. The Dark Stanley segment just didn't mesh with the Simpsons animation style. Even with Bart's voice-over it felt like I was watching a different show. Also I wasn't too thrilled with the dark stanley story itself. All I could think about during it was that it was just a re-hash of the basic plot of "Nightmare Cafeteria" from Treehouse of Horror V.

And now I have to go to class. =( I'll finish my thoughts on the rest of the episode this evening

58 &probably the oldest NHCer D DEBBS's Avatar

3/5: Dr. Stacey Swanson's remarks to her psychiatrist regarding 'Dark Stanley'
    made me laugh out loud.

Speaking of Dark Stanley, is it me, or does he look like George W. Bush?

Quote Originally Posted by coltonwiggum
    How are you part of his minority? You voted 4/5. Even if you voted 3/5, you still wouldn't be part of it.
    Because, I thought it was a 3.5 and rounded up, being generous. I liked pieces of the show. I thought it was above average, but not great (hence 3.5).

Then again, you voted 5/5, so WTF are you getting on my case for? ;-/

Thread Information