View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
254. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

41 16.14%
  • 4/5

89 35.04%
  • 3/5

73 28.74%
  • 2/5

37 14.57%
  • 1/5

14 5.51%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "Yokel Chords" (JABF09)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

super karate monkey death car Jakebert's Avatar

I'm really surprised at all the negative reviews so far. I thought it was really good. The only thing I disliked in the whole episode was the line about Homer's breast reduction, which was ignorable. The hammer line bothered me a little, but again, it was pretty ignorable. The gags were really solid, I thought. The callback to Homer and the Chinese people was a little iffy, but the intitial joke was pretty funny. Also: the reference to "Un chien andalou" was great! One of my favorite references in the history of the show, and that's surprising from a Jean episode.

I'm also very glad to see Skinner back in form. Out of all of the characters that seem weird in the post-classic era, Skinner is in my top 5. But tonight he felt perfectly in form for the most part, and Harry is doing his voice the way he used to. In fact, I thought the characterizations were mostly dead-on, with a few gliches that didn't matter in the end.

The plots were well done, I thought. Both of them were perfectly in balance, and even though Bart's story was more interesting, the way it was handled made it seem like it was a good b-story rather than an A story.

And finally, thank you Susie Dieter. The animation was perfect. The animation, aside from the digital coloring, looked like it could have come from the classic era. This re-enforces the fact that Susie is probably my favorite Simpsons director.

Overall, probably my favorite episode of the season so far. 5/5.

Quote Originally Posted by Xt'Tapalatakettle
    Hmmm... Homer strangles Bart every third episode. He's chased after Bart with a mace, and that's the least of it. There's nothing new about Homer hurting Bart. That's been a given since the days of old.
    but the strangling is played for laughs, bart never is hurt by it. homer chasing bart with a mace was scully wackiness that didn't have any substance. but this was flat out bart admitting that homer used to beat him with a hammer. it doesn't play well, like the joke from a couple of seasons back wherein dr hibbert found broken bones in bart's neck from the stranglings. it really doesn't sit well with homer's character

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Was I the only one who thought that Lisa took more bumps in this episode than she has in any other episode in the series history? Falling off a cliff, being thrown out of a window, this is stuff that usually happens to Homer.

4/5

Not as great as "Springfield Up", but better than "Revenge" and "Kill Gil." This episode would have rated higher for me without the Iraq reference and a musical parody of "Do-Re-Mi". Meg Ryan did a great job, and the Dark Stanley scene was great. Otherwise, there were many bland spots in the episode. We just had a Lisa main plot and Bart subplot a few weeks ago in "Little Big Girl."

Where was Peter Bogdanovich in the episode, and who did he star as? Also, did anybody notice that Homer and Maggie were absent the entire episode?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramier Wolfcastle
    Also, did anybody notice that Homer and Maggie were absent the entire episode?
    Didn't look for Maggie, but Homer was in a couple scenes.
    Signature.

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Meh, another boring offering. Lisa's plot was dull, Bart's was interesting, but neither was well developed and had no payoff in the end. They tried to cram too much into both plots and they both felt very rushed. They should have just picked one plot or the other. There were a few funny jokes, but I don't really remember them.

There were way too many things crammed into this episode.

2/5

It wasn't terrible, kinda poor pacing, but there were a few good jokes to make up for it. I'll give it a B-/C+

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Damn. It's kinda depressing to see those shades of brilliance last week, drop down to an average grade of about 3.5 this week.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

4/5

Pretty solid. Bart's subplot definitely outdid the main plot. Loved that alternate animation sequence involving Bart's fictional ax murderer. Most of the songs were pretty good. Better than I was expecting it to be overall.

Homer hit Bart with a hammer? Um... is that funny?

I liked the Dark Stanley story. Great animation. Bart's subplot was definitely the highlight.

Good episode. 4/5

Can we get Michael Price to write every new episode? Like all his other episodes, this was mercifully free of such irritating afflictions as forced and totally unnatural dialogue and cringeworthy jokes. It's disappointing we only get one episode a season from him.

For the first two acts I thought this was going to stomp hard on every episode this season. The third act wasn't too hot though; they didn't really take the Krusty/kids/Lisa storyline in as interesting a direction as I thought they could and it ended up fizzling out quite blandly which was a shame. The guest spots were weak, Meg Ryan aside, and they would have been better off punching up the Lisa story because it felt a little flimsy by the end. Maybe either a development of Lisa's role or the exploitation of the kids by Krusty would have given it more purpose. Also, because there was so much in the episode, the songs felt very short and underdeveloped, although they were likeable.

Like My Fair Laddy this wasn't an episode to have you rolling on the floor, but it was well paced, had lots of amusing moments and charming writing. The first act was the best I have seen in a long time and the whole episode had the feeling of being longer than it actually was which is always a good sign.

Some of the gripes in this thread are absolutely ridiculous by the way. Marge isn't advocating Bart seeing a prostitute, she's unaware of the implications of what she is saying which is very Marge. The hammer thing isn't a big deal; if there was any visual representation it would be disturbing but it is implied and so gets away with the dark aspect of it. As for complaining about Skinner holding up Chalmers or Homer's breast reduction money...I don't even get what the complaints are, bizarre things to pick at.

So on the whole I thought this had two strong acts and one weak but still watchable act. Bart got another good role, the dialogue was funny, there was another ton of creative sequences, Susie Dietter did a fantastic job. All in all this was a very satisfactory outing and I enjoyed it more than any other episode this season.

B/B+

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha
    Homer hit Bart with a hammer? Um... is that funny?
    Didn't Homer try in the movie trailer when Bart was hanging from the ledge?

and hasn't Homer been severly and brutally stranging Bart since forever? I have to honestly say I don't see much wrong with that Hammer line. And the Stanley story animation is one of the coolest sequences ever on the show.

I'm Checkin' in

Bart's story was much better.
    Lisa's story had potential, had there been no sub-plot.
    Pros:
    The first 2 minnutes(Marge's dream and Homer preparing the kids lunches)
    The Dark Stanley thing was pretty good, overall.
    Chinese restuarant
    Snake and Apu's session
    Meg Ryan going to a therapist.
    Cons:
    Lisa's story felt rushed, undeveloped and had a bad ending.
    The guy (James Patterson or Stephen Sondheim?) that was supposed to write Cletus kid's songs was dull.
    Brandine in Iraq?

5.5/10, probably the worst musical
    Last edited by You Only Move Thrice; 03-04-2007 at 08:03 PM.

scissors on his fuckin head That Jerk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mira
    and hasn't Homer been severly and brutally stranging Bart since forever? I have to honestly say I don't see much wrong with that Hammer line. And the Stanley story animation is one of the coolest sequences ever on the show.
    To be fair it could be a foam or comical inflated hammer.

The difference is we're left to imagine it knowing he was hit, as opposed to say the mace thing where we see Bart running away, likey that he made it out of the situation without a scratch.

Also, I don't see what's wrong with the boobs joke. Every fat guy has man boobs, it didn't seem crass at all. And it was only spoken, it's not like we cut to anything gross.

Eh, 3/5... I'm torn. There was some stuff that made me LOL, but they tried to compress way too much into 20 minutes... a dizzying frenetic mess with some bizarre musical numbers. And wasn't the Bart story like "Fear Of Flying" redux and the Lisa story similiar to "Eight Misbehaving"? Oh well, at least it wasn't Homer and Marge having marital woes again, thank god.

But I laughed enough to grant a decent rating. Eg. Chalmers asking "Why do you have to make everything weird?" to Seymour after the first musical number made me chuckle. As did Homer drawing "I'm gay" bubbles on his money. And I was pumped for a spectacular episode after seeing the cool animation for Bart's cafeteria story, but what are you gonna do... A decently average C+ show.

Note: Bart referring to Homer hitting him with a hammer is NOT AMUSING AT ALL. Why do the writers think that child abuse is so funny? Even the strangling bothers me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by fannyface
    How can you guys vote 5/5 on this one? What do the classics from the mid 90's get then?

Skinner holding Chalmers over his head? A mother with 7+ kids gets sent to Iraq? And she has a helicopter at her disposal? Homer beating Bart with a hammer? Marge allowing Bart to get hookers later on in life?

This was a disaster, it should have just been a one plot episode with Bart seeing the psychologist, because by having two they left both unfullfilled and lacking.
    Skinner holding Chalmers over his head worked because Chalmers then asked "Why do you have to make things weird?" in a perfectly deadpan voice. As if the situation wasn't already weird! Loved that scene. It made the whole number.

As usual the first act was good. The Willy montage was funny, the Dark Stanley story(sorry i dont know what it was making fun of, but i liked it). The song was unimpressive and not funny, unlike most of the other musical episodes including the last one, My Fair Laddy. That seems to be the theme for the episode. Bad songs, but good comedy. I thought Cletus was good before he got rich and after he got rich, and i thought the Snake and Apu thing was really funny. Okay plots. 3/5

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

A pretty average episode. There definitely were a lot of funny moments, but overall it's hard to even remember what happened in the episode or what the point of it was. That's the problem when the pacing is too fast. The first act was great, but the hillbillies wore out their welcome soon after, some season 18 dialogue started to show up and too much stuff was happening.

Having said that, this episode along with the previous two have been refreshing. It feels like even if there were a few misguided decisions made, they show that the show still has the ability to make me laugh really hard. Plus it's obvious more effort was put into them compared with the earlier absolute shit episodes of this season. Hopefully they can keep it up.

C+
    Last edited by Green_Peaness; 03-04-2007 at 08:42 PM.
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

UR CLOTHES GIVE THEM TO ME Upgrayedd's Avatar

Eh, I guess the 2 good episode streak came to an end tonight.

I personally thought that both plots were of the same caliber, and they both weren't that powerful. Like said already by some, they tried to cram too much story into one 22 minute episode, and they both were, I guess, somewhat interesting.

I'd say that the gags carried the episode, but it didn't really do that much of a good job doing so. I understand that this wasn't meant to be a ROFLMAO episode, but only 2 jokes really made me giggle for a second: Cletus' kid being named Dubya, and the "You're supposed to be in Iraq, stoppin' 9/11". More good jokes than bad, the hammer thing wasnt that bad, but still, the staff has a real fetish for Homer related things (abuse, him crying, and that annoying ass "Homer whisper"). Wasn't a fan of the breast reduction line (typical S18 dialogue) or the Willie montage. That's all I can remember off the top of my head. Even more dramatic eps that weren't gagfests made me laugh more than this. Still don't see what's so funny in the "Why do you have to make things weird" quote. Just another Chalmers moment, and he's pulled off better. Made me smile at most.

The rest of the good, the Dark Stanley animation, and the animation in the rest of the episode in general. Nice job, animators, that digital eyelash rendering is paying off.

By the way, random tidbits, did anyone notice the school psychiatrist was different? Isn't it supposed to be that J. Loren Pryor guy? And also, I noticed that the Box Factory was across the street from Krustylu in the ending scenes. Nice but subtle addition.

Not a fan of musical eps, and this was no exception.

(C)
    Last edited by Upgrayedd; 03-04-2007 at 08:45 PM.

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

did anyone notice the school psychiatrist was different? Isn't it supposed to be that J. Loren Pryor guy?
    You're right, it would've been funnier if they'd used him imo

Edit: Btw, Homer had like 30 seconds of screen time...I wonder if that's a record

Good, not great. The musical aspect of the episode felt half-assed. I'd like to see an episode actually done like a musical, as opposed to having three songs that are no more than a minute apiece. Plus, they weren't very good this time around. Other things I didn't like were the hammer line as others have stated, and the dragged out scene with Apu and Snake.

I liked just about everything else, though. Dark Stanley, the chinese restaurant, classic Skinner and Chalmers, and Brandine fighting in Iraq "to stop 9/11." I also really liked Cletus tonight. I was hesitant about the episode because I figured it would be pretty Cletus-heavy and that he would be unable to carry an episode, but he was actually only in a few scenes and they were all good. Loved his pimp suit. Grade: B

edit: Forgot to mention how nice it is to have Susie Dieter back. The animation direction in tonight's episode was a cut above the average for the Jean era. I know they're probably trying to get the old directors back for the Futurama revival, but I hope she sticks around on The Simpsons because I'd say they need her more.
    Last edited by J-Spot; 03-04-2007 at 08:55 PM.

glad to see some positivity from veryjammy.

also, really not much response on this thread, what gives?

Mad without power

Ya know, I was getting to the point where I was fairly sick of the musicals, especially since this is the 3rd one we've had in 4 years. Yet this one still managed to be pretty solid, and wasn't all that music-based, either.

The first act was really great. The Willie sequence was perhaps the highlight of the entire episode, as the Skinner/Chalmers exchanges are always a riot. And somehow, they were able to make a seamless plot involving the hillbillies of all characters. The transition into the Krusty plot will probably make more sense to you if you've actually seen "The Sound of Music" (where it transitions into a plot about the Nazis threatening the kids, if I recall correctly). Everything up until the ending was nice, save for the part with Brandine.

The Bart sub-plot started out strong, but then really took a turn for the weird. It wasn't so much being a rehash of "Fear of Flying" that bugged me, but it just didn't really flow as a plot. In "Little Big Girl", we were talking about maybe a 4 or 5-year difference. But any sort of "strong feelings" here were completely unrealistic. It wasn't bad. It was just...odd. I'm not entirely sure how to approach it. Maybe the Lisa plot should have gotten more attention.

Most jokes were pretty strong. As stated, the Willie stuff was a riot, the Apu/Snake conversation was pretty funny, "Death Kill City II: Kill City Stories" was a humrous take off GTA: Vice City Stories (which actually comes out tomorrow, I believe, so perfect timing), and we had what I think is the first Fox jab in like the past year. The exceptions were Homer's breast reduction and yet another forced Iraq joke. As for Homer hitting Bart with a hammer, we didn't actually see it happen, and the context it was being used in was humorous enough, as it helped the "Dark Stanley" thing come full-circle.

Guest stars...meh. All but Meg Ryan were pointless. Still, this episode was probably on the same level as "My Fair Laddy", which makes it one of the more enjoyable episodes this season. Still, I'd give the musicals a rest for a while, Jean.

B

Season 18 may not end up being worse than Season 11 after all...(though next week's looks awful)
    Season 19 Ratings - Now More Bitter Than Ever!
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs -

To be honest...I'm not quite sure what to think of this episode.

If there's one word I could use to describe this episode, its meandering. It was sort of like....a jam session, or waiting in a waiting room. Just...meandering. Can't really put it any other way. Kind of an adrift feeling episode. And also, I couldn't believe how quickly this episode came and went. It was kind of bewildering.

Its definitely a step down from the previous two episodes, maybe even a pretty big step down. It felt very...self satirical. Especially around the time near the end where Bart spills the beans to Dr. Swanson. With the music...and the specific words Bart uses...I swear it almost feels to me like it was poking a little fun at itself. Not...entirely a bad thing, although its kind of unfortunate because I think his story was pretty interesting, and could of been pretty damn good if it were done slightly differently.

But not to drag on that too much. I think the main reason why I felt the way I did about it is because Bart and Lisa's stories are so wildly different from eachother. Lisa's is kind of this amusing musical episode...or at least thats what it was going for I think. Then Bart's is one of those poignant self-discovery episodes akin to Bart vs. Thanksgiving, something we haven't really gotten too much of for Bart for quite a while...which is too bad once again.

Then taking those two really different episodes and smooshing them together into a 20 minute story, just weird feeling. Now I know this sounds kind of harsh, but I did like a couple of things. Some of the song numbers were fun for what they are, Krusty's always a fun antagonist, the little scene with Apu and Snake was amusing. The thing with the Chinese restaurant was genuinly funny. You'd be surprised how often that sort of thing happens in real life. The group coming out of the School Bus was funny too. And like I said...the concept of Bart's story was sort of cool. I wish they had maybe made it a whole episode in itself, and added a touch of subtlety to the whole thing because Bart's pretty great for that sort of thing. He's great for satire about how complex little kids can be sometimes. Since it was so...smooshed in there it was sort of a diet version of what its premise could of been.

For what it is, it was decent. The pacing was okay for what they had to work with, there weren't any "bash the audience over the head" things and once again...they thankfully kept Homer in the background. He borderlined craziness a little but since he was in the background it worked out. Its really not a cringe worthy episode exactly, but I have to be honest though I'm only luke-warm with it. I'm gonna have to be a meanie this week and give it a 2/5.

A lot of the little things like Skinner lifting Chalmers over his head, Homer's line and the thing with the hammer, and the man boobs, all those little things I guess I can see why it may turn one off because its borderline zany, but its generally real small fry stuff. Especially Skinner lifting Chalmers, that was just part of the act. Nothing to get upset over really. But the fact so much was stuffed into one episode and the general "aimlessness" of the whole thing...those are the reasons for my score.

I still think it was self satirical.
    Last edited by Kiyosuki; 03-04-2007 at 10:46 PM.

Junior Camper

5/5

I loved it.
    Lost Airs Wed. 10/9c on ABC!

Lisa is a nut, she has a rubber butt, every time she turns around it goes putt-putt!

An okay episode, but also a disappointing one. Being a big fan of the Sound of Music I really wanted this episode to be great, but while the episode looked great and had alot of visible effort put into it what with the direction and animation, the pieces just didn't quite come together. The episode started out quite well, what with Bart's horror story which had wonderful animation and mood, and overall his subplot was one of the best of the season (barring Lisa and Homer reading in The Haw-Hawed Couple). One complaint I have is that the final revelation at the end could have been a little bit bigger given all the build-up it received, but otherwise Meg Ryan was great, the jokes were good, and the story kept me guessing and intrigued. In fact, the subplot was almost too good, because the main plot pales in comparison. The songs were sort of a mixed bag, with the only great one being the "My Favorite Things" parody, while Lisa on the mountain top was just stupid, and the other two songs were okay but forgettable. I liked how things began with the idea of Skinner and Chalmers not wanting to risk funding for the school and opting to dump the kids on Lisa instead, but even so the set-up was a little rushed. Things got better once Lisa started teaching the kids since the things she did for them were sweet and felt meaningful and sincere. Once Krusty stepped into the picture however, things fell apart again. The story has a few memorable moments after that, but otherwise the plot just sputters along without a whole lot of build-up or urgency before running out of gas and having a very empty ending. Alot of potentially interesting ideas like giving Cletus' kids more personality, having Lisa develop a more meaningful relationship with the kids, or even some biting satire about the education system (which was hinted at in the first act but dropped shortly after) was basically passed up for alot of middling jokes about Krusty and Cletus. I think at least part of the problem was that Bart's plot took up so much time (as much as I liked it), and the celebrity cameos ranged from okay to below average. All in all it's not a disaster at all, but this could have been the best episode of the season. 3/5
    Last edited by bovine_university; 03-04-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bovine_university
    An okay episode, but also a disappointing one. Being a big fan of the Sound of Music I really wanted this episode to be great, but while the episode looked great and had alot of visible effort put into it what with the direction and animation, the pieces just didn't quite come together. The episode started out quite well, what with Bart's horror story which had wonderful animation and mood, and overall his subplot was one of the best of the season (barring Lisa and Homer reading in The Haw-Hawed Couple). One complaint I have is that the final revelation at the end could have been a little bit bigger given all the build-up it received, but otherwise Meg Ryan was great, the jokes were good, and the story kept me guessing and intrigued. In fact, the subplot was almost too good, because the main plot pales in comparison. The songs were sort of a mixed bag, with the only great one being the "My Favorite Things" parody, while Lisa on the mountain top was just stupid, and the other two songs were okay but forgettable. I liked how things began with the idea of Skinner and Chalmers not wanting to risk funding for the school and opting to dump the kids on Lisa instead, but even so the set-up was a little rushed. Things got better once Lisa started teaching the kids since the things she did for them were sweet and felt meaningful and sincere. Once Krusty stepped into the picture however, things fell apart again. The story has a few memorable moments after that, but otherwise the plot just sputters along without a whole lot of build-up or urgency before running out of gas and having a very empty ending. There was alot of potential to be had in ideas like giving Cletus' kids more personality, having Lisa develop a more meaningful relationship with the kids, or even some biting satire about the education system (which was hinted at in the first act but dropped shortly after) was basically passed up for alot of middling jokes about Krusty and Cletus. I think at least part of the problem was that Bart's plot took up so much time (as much as I liked it), and the celebrity cameos ranged from okay to below average. All in all it's not a disaster at all, but this could have been the best episode of the season. 3/5
    Have you heard of a thing called paragraphs? They make it a lot easier to read long texts.

Anyway, I thought it was an okay episode, not great but not bad either. 3/5

Don't have time to do a full-fledged review until later in the week, but I didn't really care for it. The first act was solid, got me really hopeful, but then the second and third were atrocious. I'm not sure what I am gonna rate it yet, I'll have to think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

While I'd agree with some of Veryjammy's points praising this episode, I ultimately wasn't really satisfied. The Lisa plot was really really boring. Might have been more interesting if the kids had been fleshed out a tiny bit more, so we'd actually be rooting for Lisa when she sad they weren't stereotypical hicks. The musical numbers were terribly done: too short and pointless, and not at all catchy. This just ruined the episode for me, even though there were a fair amount of funny jokes, like the 9/11 line, Bart's prank, and the therapy session with Apu and Snape. The Bart subplot was really nice though; wish it had been its own episode. C

Thread Information