View Poll Results: What would you rate JABF01?

Voters
261. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

18 6.90%
  • 4/5

41 15.71%
  • 3/5

64 24.52%
  • 2/5

69 26.44%
  • 1/5

69 26.44%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Rate/Review Kill Gil (Volumes 1 & 2)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

Gil is one of my least favourite characters, so it isn't surprising that I would hate an episode about him. But he isn't the only reason this episode is crap. Gil moving into the Simpsons' house is a boring plot. The only thing that really happens until he moves out is he mooches and Marge can't kick him out. But when he moves out is when it gets really bad. They go to Scottsdale just so Marge can say no to Gil? What the hell? Why doesn't she just phone him? And then they buy a house in Scottsdale? WHAT THE HELL?! Why do they do that? And what the hell is with the grumple? It is annoying, as is how it keeps appearing for no reason. And on top of all of that, this episode features Gil, probably the most annoying recurring character ever. This is a consistently awful episode. 2/10

Blog Entries

This episode is so bad I think it gave me cancer. Luckily I cured it with some classic episodes.

1/5

Only because there's no 0/5 in the poll...
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

Banned
    Blog Entries

This episode actually starts out okay but turns into a unwatchable mess once Marge recieves the letter. 1.5/5

Banned
    Blog Entries

Terrible episode. it starts out acceptable but it turns into a unwatchable mess as it goes on. Grade: F

Well it starts off boring, another lame Krusty event which turns into a riot, a cheap plot device they've done too many times now, it's become boring. I admit I did smile a bit when the Groo (Bascially the Grinch) came on, but only for the first two times, the repution of that joke lead to it becoming dull. The only part when I liked Gil's character this episode was when he gave Lisa the Malibu Stacey toy set and refused to give it to Mr.Costington, that was a new side of Gil's character we haven't seen, one of caring and kindness rather than the annoying low life we normally see. BUT he then moves in with the Simpsons, this is the turning point with the episode. My two major problems with this whole episode are that the Simpsons know Gil is annoying, they know he isn't doing any good and he is practically making their lives harder, but they rely on Marge to kick him out, why couldn't Homer do it, he has the same if not greater power than Marge does. But the only reason they didn't kick him out was to show a series of unfunny jokes. They just made me hate Gil even more, there is nothing to feel sorry about becuase they way he behaves it terrible, he has illnesses, then give him treatment then send him away, don't keep him squandering your home. The second reason I hate this episode is that the writers had the unique opportunity to develop a secondary character and as I said, the Gil at the begginning of the episode was kind, a new aspect of his character. But the rest of the epsidoe just showcases what I already knew, Gil is an annoying low life who is an awful character and is just on the show becuase the producers apparently enjoy his performance. Seeing him fail isn't funny becuase he doesn't work hard, if he was like I don't know a nerd who was clever and knew a lot and he kept failing it would be funny becuase he has the intelligence to do well but doesn't. Gil is just awful, as is this episode. The best bit was when Homer loud whispered D'oh, but that's about it. 2/10
    "Trying is the first step to failure" - Homer Simpson
    Simpsons: Best Episode/Worst Episode Per Season
    1:Life On The Fast Lane/The Telltale Head2:One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Homer VS. Lisa and The 18th Commandment 3:Homer At The Bat/The Otto Show 4:Marge VS. The Monorail/Selma's Choice 5: Cape Feare/Homer and Apu 6:Who Shot Mr.Burns (Part 1)/Bart's Girlfriend 7:Homer The Smithers/ The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular 8: Homer VS. The EIghteenth Amendment/Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9: The Cartridge Family/All Singing, All Dancing 10:The Wizard of Evergreen Terrace/Homer Simpson in "Kidney Trouble" 11:Missionary: Impossible/It's A Mad Mad Mad Marge 12: Hungry, Hungry Homer/The Great Money Caper 13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/Brawl In The Family 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Break My Wife, Please 15: Simple Simpson/Bart Mangled Banner 16: Thank God It's Doomsday/On A Clear Day I Can't See My Sister 17: Girls Just Wanna Have Sums/Marge and Homer Turn A Couple Play 18: Marge Gamer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Dial 'N' for Nerder/Papa Don't Leech 20: Eeny Teeny Maya Moe/The Burns and The Bees 21: The Bob Next Door/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer The Father/Elementary School Musical 23: How I Wet Your Mother/Treehouse of Horror XXII 24: The Saga of Carl/Moonshine River 25:Brick Like Me/The Kid is Alright

Blog Entries

I had to watch this to see what all the fuss was about. It really wasn't that bad. Gil was pretty tolerable, and I kind of liked the premise of a fired Santa Claus staying with the Simpsons. The way his over-long stay was framed with the calendar flicking through different holidays was fun, and put something of a more interesting twist on the whole "Christmas Special" thing. Also enjoyable was the Christmas opening sequence (featuring a great chalkboard gag), and the Krusty on Ice thing for the most part. Then for some reason they decided to slap on one of the most mind-bogglingly dumb twists in Simpsons history, by introducing Marge's "I have to say no!" thing, which besides being completely jarring and out-of-the-blue was out of character for Marge - it would obviously have negative consequences, and it was pretty mean-spirited in the first place - despite her having a mostly considerate and thoughtful personality. This lead to Gil rather predictably being fired and losing his success... Which dug the story into a bit of a hole. So what happens next? Did they attempt to resolve this conflict by Marge getting him his job back, or Gil otherwise recuperating his losses? Nope. How about some interesting point about Marge's disposition, and attitudes towards parasitic types such as Gil? Nah. Instead the bizarre final act culminates into a steaming heap of stupidity, in which somehow Gil or the Simpsons inexplicably purchase a house from Gil's former company in wherever the hell they were. And they sing Christmas songs and everybody is friends and Marge feels no remorse and Gil seems not to care that this woman has destroyed his career and self-esteem. And then, to rub salt in the wounds, that annoying "Grumple" thing, the perpetrator of one of the Simpsons' most puerile and idiotic recurring gags ever, shows up and joins them. Eh? Though this has to be one of the Simpsons' worst and most lazy endings ever; the episode overall wasn't all that bad, and there were even parts of it I enjoyed. It least had a plot with some coherence, some semblance of structure, some sort of conflict to base a story on. These are pretty refreshing traits for an episode from this time in the show's life, and combined with some mildly entertaining ideas and a few funny moments, make for an episode that almost manages to achieve decency. 5/10

Oh yeah, and the title for this one is awful. By this point they had basically given up doing titles that referenced the actual content or theme of the episode, but even so a pun on the title of a Christmas film or something would've been nice. "Kill Gil" isn't that bad, but did we really need the "Volumes I & II"?
    Season 26 Ratings:
    Clown in the Dumps, 3/10; The Wreck of the Relationship, 5/10; Super Franchise Me, 5/10; Treehouse of Horror XXV, 7/10; Opposites A-Frack, 6/10; Simpsorama, 7/10; Blazed and Confused, 7/10; Covercraft, 5/10; I Won't Be Home for Christmas, 8/10; The Man Who Came To Be Dinner, 7/10; Bart's New Friend, 5/10; The Musk Who Fell to Earth, 3/10;

I Review Every Episode In No Particular Order
    Twitter | YouTube

I was really looking forward to Kill Gill when it first aired because it was going to put the spotlight on a likeable secondary character like Gill. As the first episode of the new production line for season 18 I had hopes this was going to be a good or great episode. Unfortunately I was left disappointed by the poor story because the episode wasted a great opportunity in not really showcasing Gill's personality and life. From what I can remember about the plot this is it not so much about Gil's perspective and his life with the family but the opposite, with the character largely playing second fiddle to the family as they deal with his antics. Finally the episode contains an absurd conclusion that ranks in my view as one of the most redonkulous endings I have ever seen in the series.

Hey, come check out my animation website:
    http://mikeryan13.wix.com/mikeryananimation

The Golden Age: Seasons 01-09 An era defined by an extraordinary consistent display of emotionally powerful and damn hilarious episodes
    The Bronze Age: Seasons 10-12 The period where the show loses direction and becomes creatively unstable.
    The Silver Age: Seasons 13-26 The series returns to solid footing while it tries to remain fresh as an institution
    The Renaissance: Hey, if it happened to a revered institution like Disney in the 90's whose to say it would not happen with "The Simpsons" one day...

Really, Really bad, one of my least favorite episodes in the series, featuring my most hated character & terrible Marge characterization, the episode was nothing but boring & unfunny, what really pissed me off was Marge driving to Scottsdale JUST to say no to Gil, what the hell, that was extremely pointless and absurd, not to mention that awkward ending, the only good thing I'll give this episode was that nice opening, shame it was wasted on the worst christmas episode in the series.

1/10

Bad episode.
    The episode story isn't actually very bad (simply, Gil does not obey his superiors and loses his job, after what he is taken by Marge, but he is bored with her), but the execution was bad. I found one emothional (when Gil stood up for Lisa - really, this opens his charachter on the new side) and one funny (calendar scrolling) moments. All other was awful.

plot 12/25
    absurdity level (the possibility of what is happening) 20/25
    comedy 12/25
    originary (level of references and of unoriginality) 22/25

TOTAL 66/100 (3/5 with rounding or C+). BAD!
    IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 03/08/20):
    1. Moaning Lisa/Some Enchanted Evening 2. Bart vs. Thanksgiving/Itchy & Scratchy & Marge 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/The Otto Show 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Selma’s Choice 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Homer the Vigilante 6. Two Dozen and One Greyhounds/Lisa’s Rival 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Homerpalooza 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Homer They Fall 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Bart Star 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Monty Can’t Buy Me Love 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Helter Shelter 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Goo Goo Gai Pan/A Star Is Torn 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore 18. 24 Minutes/Stop, Or My Dog Will Shoot! 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20. Coming to Homerica/Four Great Women and a Manicure 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Blue and the Gray/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Gorgeous Grampa 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture 31. TBA/TBA
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    1 > 2 > 4 > 7 > 3 > 6 > 8 > 5 > 27 > 21 > 9 > 20 > 25 > 17 > 29 > 10 > 12 > 15 > 26 > 24 > 13 > 18 > 14 > 19 > 28 > 16 > 30 > 23 > 11 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

Whose idea was it to give Gil his own episode?

first of all the title is misleading in two different ways

Gil doesn't get killed off , and it's not a two part episode

Marge has never had problems saying no in the past why does she have problems now? she's said no to her kids, to her husband, to Artie Ziff, but then again I'm talking about a person who has forbade her son from going over to Nelson's house one episode, and taking him in, in another one

oh well it's still better than Boys of Bummer
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode really does suck. Gil acts like an annoying leech the whole episode and when he finally gets up on his own 2 feet and leaves, Marge feels the need to tell him off in front of his colleagues and ruin his life again. Marge and Gil are both terrible here and the episode is unfunny and boring.
    Last edited by The Abominable Dr. Lenny; 07-25-2020 at 08:50 PM.

Thread Information