17 16.83%
  • 2/5

15 14.85%
  • 1/5

33 32.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rate/Review South Park 1014: "Stanley's Cup"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Very dull episode. I consider Stan (..and Kyle) as the Straight man in the comedy equation that makes up most comedy troupes. I discovered South Park late in the game when Cartman started to emerge as the Huge draw for that show. I realize they cant do Cartman and Butters every show, Thats like having Christmas every day.
    But building a episode around the Straight man (alone) is seldom a laff-riot.

a malcolm and a archer

better than seasons 7 and 9, worse than the rest. still fine.

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Everything I have to say has already pretty much been said. What a lousy note to end the season on. Why didn't they use Go, God, Go??!

The announcer guy was not funny at all and was kind of like a bad Family Guy filler joke. I realize the whole point of the episode was to mock every feel-good sports movie, ever, showing the exact opposite of what the movies convey happening. Yeah, dark humor, I get it. I kind of even figured the kid would die, and took that with a grain of salt. The pro team beating the shit out of the kids was too much, though.

I also agree that Stan was pretty lifeless and boring in this episode. Kyle would have been the better choice for his general determination, optimism, and his speeches. It would help set us up for the downfall, but Stan didn't really care from the beginning so the failure ending just didn't work.

The one scene that had me cracking up, though, was the two kids teams playing against each other, with Blur - Song 2 playing and both teams wandering around and falling over with nobody scoring.

Season 10 seemed to experiment with different approaches to episode writing. Most of them worked, with the exception of A Million Little Fibers and this. I like Towelie, so I didn't mind A Million Little Fibers, but this was pretty awful... probably one of the worst South Park episodes ever.

2/5

Oh, the two Steve Irwin jokes were probably a "fuck you" response to the backlash the Steve Irwin joke in Hell on Earth 2006 got.

My Season 10 Rankings:
    The Return of Chef - 3/5
    Smug Alert - 4/5
    Cartoon Wars Pt. 1 - 5/5
    Cartoon Wars Pt. 2 - 5/5
    A Million Little Fibers - 2.75/5
    Manbearpig - 3/5
    Tsst - 4/5
    Make Love, Not Warcraft - 5/5
    Mystery of the Urinal Deuce - 3/5
    Miss Teacher Bangs a Boy - 4/5
    Hell on Earth 2006 - 4/5
    Go God Go Part 2 - 4.5/5
    Go God Go XII - 5/5
    Stanley's Cup - 2/5

I've also tried to like the new version of the theme song, but I still don't really like it. I hope they go back to the banjo version after this, or something different. It sounds too generic, and this may be the music nerd in me, but I hate how the song ends abruptly with 3 seconds of silence. There should at least be some finishing power chord in there or something.
    Last edited by NoOneFamous; 11-17-2006 at 01:29 AM.

Hired Goon

i expected a lot more out of the season finale than we actually got. overall it was just a dull, uninteresting episode.

however, i found it to be one of the few lowlights to a surprisingly great season. i'd go as far as saying it was the best season since 7.

Morman Standard Time Ihaveblink's Avatar

4/5

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned both of the Steve Irwin/Stingray jokes...

I liked the episode. 4/5

I forgot about that. One bright moment, in a slow episode. I did think it was cool how the South Park guys rubbed our noses in the controversy about the Halloween episode.

Eh, I didn't really care for the Steve Irwin jokes, not because they were offensive, but because they were sloppy. The joke in Hell on Earth was basically making fun of people who would be offended by jokes about Steve Irwin, and now these two jokes were making fun of people who were offended by that joke about people who would be offended by jokes about Steve Irwin. It really feels over-thought and tacked on, and it feels like the show should have just moved on instead of trying to milk any more out of this event. We get it, nothing and no one is safe from this show, but can we at least move on to something a little fresher?

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

IGN gave this episode a raving review:

http://tv.ign.com/articles/746/746108p1.html

I dunno, I guess I need to re-watch it.

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

Meh, I thought this episode was pretty poor. Like a lot of the episodes this Season it was basically one joke stretched out to fill 22 minutes. The last four episodes of this Season have been pretty crap overall. It's a shame because the start of the season was fantastic.

GREAT
    The Return of Chef!
    Smug Alert!
    Cartoon Wars (both parts)
    Make Love, Not Warcraft
    Mystery of the Urinal Deuce
    Miss Teacher Bangs a Boy

AVERAGE
    Manbearpig
    A Million Little Fibers
    Go God Go Part II

CRAP
    Tsst
    Hell on Earth 2006
    Go God Go XII
    Stanley's Cup

GREAT
    The Return of Chef!
    this is ridiculous. that was easily the worst episode of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Enter The Moleman
    Because the last time someone brought it up, it became a long multi-page discussion.
    that makes me stupid, and you a whore

I did ;__; I think it provides for interesting discussion considering how they brought it up again

this is ridiculous. that was easily the worst episode of the season.
    Why do you find that episode so bad? I thought it was quite comedic and made a great point. Not to mention the Super Adventurers Club was just awesome

Itchy/Hillary in '08

I didn't like this episode very much - 2/5

There weren't that many good jokes, the plot was a little dull, but most of all I hated the ending. I know it was making fun of how in Disney movies they always win, but in this, the ending was just depressing and left me saying: That's it?

I cannot beleive IGN gave this 9.1/10. I can understand if they liked it but that is a really high review. They gave simpsons a bad review just for making fun of the army with 1 or 2 lines, but when SP makes fun of Steve Irwin or Scientology, all of a sudden it's okay.

super karate monkey death car Jakebert's Avatar

This episode completely felt like a season 7 or 8 episode to me. It just used the same joke over and over the whole time. Lame 2/5.

Quote Originally Posted by BrideofMoleman
    I did ;__; I think it provides for interesting discussion considering how they brought it up again
    must have missed it in my skimming...

I knew from the cancer kid was going to die. I gave it a 4/5. The only thing that saved it from a 2/5 was the final hockey match. That was hilarious.

Why do you find that episode so bad? I thought it was quite comedic and made a great point. Not to mention the Super Adventurers Club was just awesome
    i think it's insane to say that's one of the best episodes and to say hell on earth is one of the worst. the chef episode had no jokes and was really embarassing to watch.

boognish be praised camelenchilada's Avatar

i loved the ending...that is what makes south park different than all other shows.

This episode was mostly very good, great build up, but that end really made me feel bad. I know it was there for shock value, but you cant just let a 5 year old die and find it funny! FFS! Also the Ike with Teacher one was a bit wrong too, but not as bad as this. Eww how can a dieing 5 year old be funny you sick basturds?!?!

Cart Your Arse On In Santos L. Halper's Avatar

I have heard of dark humour but FMD, this takes the cake! A little boy dying/died from cancer. That's funny is it? Constant jabs at Steve Irwin. Sadistic much? And that guy doing those stupid voice overs was funny once, maybe twice, but then it just got really annyoing VERY quick. Quite possibly the shittiest SP episode made.

1/5.

Omicido Attentato Multiplo Sideshow Jay's Avatar

Old thread is old.

1/5, this episode was terrible.

be seeing you! Captain Yesterday's Avatar

4/5 - GREAT

I love this episode. Maybe it's because I like hockey a lot, but still, I think it's still good if you wouldn't like hockey (heaven forbid). I like the flashbacks that Stan's dad (my favorite caracter) has.

Thread Information