Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Simpsons: The Complete Ninth Season DVD

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The Simpsons: The Complete Ninth Season DVD

I was surprised an official thread hadn't been started yet.

In my opinion, as well as a lot of others, the last good season of the show, before Mike Scully finally took it almost to hell. It does have it's share of bad episodes, but there is also a few classics here and there.

If it follows the trend of the last two years, we should have this by Christmas 2006.

However, it's sales may be affected because it is the start of the infamous "Scully era". Nevertheless, it contains some great episodes.

4F22 The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson

WRITER: Ian Maxtone-Graham DIRECTOR: Jim Reardon
    Rough Draft
    Driven to the brink of sanity by his appointed status as designated driver, Barney Gumble drives to downtown Manhattan in Homer's car, leaving it there. But when the family journeys to the big apple to retrieve their property, Homer faces a one-on-one showdown with the dreaded boot.
    Commentary #1: Bill Oakley, Josh Weinstein, Jim Reardon. Commentary #2: Ian Maxtone-Graham, Dan Castellaneta.

4F23 The Principal and the Pauper

WRITER: Ken Keeler DIRECTOR: Steven Dean Moore
    Akom
    During a surprise banquet to honor his twentieth anniversary as principal, Seymour Skinner's true identity is revealed to be Armin Tamzarian. Now established as an impostor, Tamzarian retires and relocates to his old neighborhood in Capitol City. Guest starring Martin Sheen as the real Seymour Skinner.
    Commentary by: Bill Oakley, Josh Weinstein, Ken Keeler, Steven Dean Moore

3G02 Lisa's Sax

WRITER: Al Jean DIRECTOR: Dominic Polcino
    Akom
    When Lisa's saxophone is destroyed during a scuffle with Bart, the family recounts the story of how she got her instrument during the terrible heat wave of 1990. Guest starring Fyvush Finkel as himself and Krusty.
    Commentary by: Al Jean, Mike Reiss, Dominic Polcino

5F02 Treehouse of Horror VIII

WRITER: Mike Scully, David S. Cohen, Ned Goldreyer DIRECTOR: Mark Kirkland
    Rough Draft
    In “The Homega Man,” Homer battles killer mutants after Springfield is destroyed in a nuclear blast. Next, a matter transportation device melds Bart with a housefly in “Fly Vs. Fly”. Finally, Marge is accused of witchcraft during colonial times in “Easy-Bake Coven.”
    Commentary by: Matt Groening, Mike Scully, David Cohen, Mark Kirkland, George Meyer, Matt Selman

5F01 The Cartridge Family

WRITER: John Swartzwelder DIRECTOR: Pete Michels
    Anivision
    After a wild soccer riot tears up Springfield, Homer purchases a handgun to protect his family. But when Marge's repeated requests to dispose of the weapon go without notice, she whisks herself and the kids away to a seedy motel.
    Commentary by: Matt Groening, Mike Scully, Yeardley Smith, John Swartzwelder, Petere Michels, Goerge Meyer, Ian Maxtone-Graham, Donick Cary, Ron Hauge

5F03 Bart Star

WRITER: Donick Cary DIRECTOR: Dominic Polcino
    Rough Draft
    A local health fair shows that Springfield's young boys are out of shape, leading parents to sign their sons up for pee-wee football. But when Homer snags coaching position, a more talented quarterback is replaced by Bart. Guest starring Roy Firestone, Mike Judge as Hank Hill, and Joe Namath.
    Commentary by: Mike Scully, George Meyer, Donick Cary, Nancy Cartwright, Dan Castellaneta, Dominic Polcino

5F04 The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons

WRITER: Richard Appel DIRECTOR: Steven Dean Moore
    Akom
    Just as he begins to enjoy his popularity as a swinging bachelor, Apu receives an unwelcome reminder of his pending arranged marriage. Desperate to escape the agreement, Apu claims to have already married Marge Simpson. Guest starring Jan Hooks as Manjula and Andrea Martin as Apu's mother.
    Commentary by: Mike Scully, Richard Appel, Steven Dean Moore

5F05 Lisa the Skeptic

WRITER: David S. Cohen DIRECTOR: Neil Affleck
    Anivision
    While Lisa and her classmates conduct an archaeological survey, a skeleton with abnormal bone structures growing from the shoulders is uncovered, leading the townspeople to conclude the remains are that of an angel. Guest starring Stephen Jay Gould and Phil Hartman.
    Commentary by: Matt Groening, Mike Scully, David Cohen, George Meyer, Yeardley Smith, Pete Michels

5F06 Realty Bites

WRITER: Dan Greaney DIRECTOR: Swinton O. Scott III
    Akom
    When Marge becomes a real estate agent, her firm loses lucrative sales due to her total honesty. Meanwhile, Homer buys a 1960s hot-rod convertible at the local police auction. Unfortunately, the rod's former owner and convicted felon, Snake, wants his property returned post haste, and will do anything to get it back. Guest starring Phil Hartman.
    Commentary by: Mike Scully, Dan Greaney, Richard Appel, Swinton Scott III

5F07 Miracle on Evergreen Terrace

WRITER: Ron Hauge DIRECTOR: Bob Anderson
    Akom
    People throughout Springfield open their hearts--and wallets--after Bart accidentally burns the family's Christmas presents and claims they were stolen by a burglar. But when the truth is alas revealed, the Simpsons find themselves pariahs. Guest starring Alex Trebek.
    Commentary by: Matt Groening, Mike Scully, Yeardley Smith, Goerge Meyer, Ron Hauge, Bob Anderson, Nancy Cartwright

5F24 All Singing, All Dancing

WRITER: Steve O'Donnell DIRECTOR: Mark Ervin
    Akom
    Anticipating a bloody Clint Eastwood-Lee Marvin shoot-'em-up, Bart and Homer are horrified to discover that their video rental, Paint Your Wagon, is actually a musical. Several song and dance moments from seasons past are recalled. Guest starring George Harrison.
    Commentary by: Matt Groening, David Mirkin, Steve O'Donnell, Hank Azaria, Yeardley Smith, Steven Dean Moore

5F08 Bart Carny

WRITER: John Swartzwelder DIRECTOR: Mark Kirkland
    Rough Draft
    When Homer costs a carnival worker and his son their jobs, Homer offers the pair a place to stay. But when the carnies lock the family out of their house and claim it as their own, Homer attempts to get it back by outsmarting the two. Guest starring Jim Varney as Cooder.
    Commentary by: Matt Groening, Mike Scully, George Meyer, Mark Kirkland

5F23 The Joy of Sect

WRITER: Steve O'Donnell DIRECTOR: Steven Dean Moore
    Anivision
    Along with the majority of Springfield, Homer and company are lured into the Movementarian cult by a slick pamphlet and tantalizing promises. But as Marge begins to realize that the cult only has money on its mind, she must try her hand at deprogramming to rescue her family.
    Commentary by: Matt Groening, David Mirkin, Steve O'Donnell, Yeardley Smith, Steven Dean Moore

5F11 Das Bus

WRITER: David S. Cohen DIRECTOR: Pete Michels
    Akom
    Bart, Lisa and their classmates fight for survival after becoming stranded on a deserted island. Meanwhile, Homer attracts the attention of Bill Gates when he attempts to crack the lucrative internet egg with a home-based consulting firm. Guest voices James Earl Jones as the narrator and Jack Ong as the chinese fisherman.
    Commentary by: Matt Groening, Mike Scully, David Cohen, Pete Michels

5F10 The Last Temptation of Krust

WRITER: Donick Cary DIRECTOR: Mike B. Anderson
    Anivision
    After finally accepting that his comedic style is outdated, Krusty settles on more edgier material: what's wrong with today's crop of stand-up comedians. Guest starring Jay Leno, Steven Wright, Janeane Garofalo, Bobcat Goldthwait and Bruce Baum. Featuring Hank Williams Jr.
    Commentary by: Matt Groening, Mike Scully, George Meyer, Ron Hauge, Donick Cary, Yeardley Smith, Mike B. Anderson, Jay Leno

5F12 Dumbbell Indemnity

WRITER: Ron Hauge DIRECTOR: Dominic Polcino
    Anivision
    When Moe breaks himself romancing a new love, he enlists the aid of Homer in an illegal scheme to collect $5,000 dollars from his automobile's insurance policy. But after Homer botches the scam, Moe must find a way to bust his best customer out of the pen. Guest starring Helen Hunt as Renee.
    Commentary by: Matt Groening, Mike Scully, George Meyer, Ron Hauge, Ian Maxtone-Graham, Dominic Polcino

4F24 Lisa The Simpson

WRITER: Ned Goldreyer DIRECTOR: Susie Dietter
    Rough Draft
    Thanks to the unfounded predictions of Grampa Simpson, Lisa is convinced that she's genetically predisposed to lose her intelligence. Meanwhile, Apu discovers Jasper frozen in his freezer, and turns the Kwik-E-Mart into a tourist's trap. Guest starring Phil Hartman.
    Commentary by: Bill Oakley, Josh Weinstein, Ned Goldreyer, Susie Dietter

5F13 This Little Wiggy

WRITER: Dan Greaney DIRECTOR: Neil Affleck
    Anivision
    Taking pity on the hapless Ralph Wiggum, Marge pairs him with Bart. But his association with Ralph quickly turns out to be more beneficial than burdensome when Bart learns that his father holds the master key to every store in Springfield. Guest starring Phil Hartman.
    Commentary by: Matt Groening, Mike Scully, George Meyer, Dan Greaney

3G04 Simpson Tide

WRITER: Joshua Sternin and Jeffrey Ventimillia DIRECTOR: Milton Gray
    Rough Draft
    Bored as usual, Homer decides to take up a new career in the Navy, where he single-handedly cuts the ribbon on treason season by charting a submarine into soviet waters. Meanwhile, Bart gets his ear pierced. Guest starring Bob Denver, Rod Steiger as Captain Tenille, and Michael Carrington.
    Commentary by: Al Jean, Mike Reiss

5F14 The Trouble With Trillions

WRITER: Ian Maxtone-Graham DIRECTOR: Swinton O. Scott III
    Akom
    When Homer's unfastidious tax return accidentally falls into the severe audit bin at the IRS, he is promptly nabbed by the government. Forced to go undercover for them, Homer finds himself on a mission to retrieve a trillion dollar bill stolen by Mr. Burns. Guest voice Paul Winfield as Lucious Sweet.
    Commentary by: Matt Groening, Mike Scully, George Meyer, Ian Maxtone-Graham, Swinton Scott III, Matt Selman

5F15 Girly Edition

WRITER: Larry Doyle DIRECTOR: Mark Kirkland
    Rough Draft
    Bart attempts to upstage his sister when the pair land anchor seats on a Children's educational news program. Meanwhile, Homer exploits his elderly father to obtain a helper monkey, which he quickly puts to work looting donut shops.
    Commentary by: Matt Groening, Mike Scully, George Meyer, Yeardley Smith, Mark Kirkland

5F09 Trash of the Titans (200TH EPISODE)

WRITER: Ian Maxtone-Graham DIRECTOR: Jim Reardon
    Anivision
    When his crude insults persuade the local garbage men to terminate his trash pick-up service, Homer enters the race for sanitation commissioner, banking on the laziness of his fellow towns- people as the key to victory. Guest starring Steve Martin as Ray Patterson, Paul McGuinness, Susie Smith, and U2.
    Commentary by: Matt Groening, Mike Scully, George Meyer, Ian Maxtone-Graham, Ron Hauge, Yeardley Smith

5F16 King of the Hill

WRITER: John Swartzwelder DIRECTOR: Steven Dean Moore
    Akom
    Crestfallen by Bart's shame of his poor physical condition, Homer sets out to work out. But when a pair of publicity scouts offer him the job of climbing The Murderhorn to promote their product, Homer is too blindsided by lust for physical perfection to turn down the expedition. Guest starring Brendan Fraser as Brad and Steven Weber as Neil.
    Commentary by: Mike Scully, Richard Appel, Steven Dean Moore

5F17 Lost Our Lisa

WRITER: Brian Scully DIRECTOR: Pete Michels
    Akom
    After hastily boarding the wrong bus to a limited engagement museum exhibit, Lisa finds herself lost in unfamiliar parts of Springfield. Meanwhile, Bart adheres novelty items to his face, only to later discover that the glue he was given--by Homer--is permanent.
    Commentary by: Matt Groening, Mike Scully, George Meyer, David Cohen, Yeardley Smith, Pete Michels

5F18 Natural Born Kissers

WRITER: Matt Selman DIRECTOR: Klay Hall
    Rough Draft
    After a near-fatal encounter with a peeved farmer and his pitch-fork, Homer and Marge uncover the secret to reigniting their crapped-out sex life: dangerous situations. Meanwhile, Bart and Lisa make their own discoveries, including the lost ending to Casablanca, using a metal detector.
    Commentary by: Matt Groening, Mike Scully, George Meyer, Matt Selman, Dan Castellaneta, Mark Kirkland

No doubt this will have a standard box as well as the limited edition head. By the preliminary shots it was Maggie as the head design, but since she got released for Season 8 it comes down to either Bart or Lisa. See below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

KNOWN INFORMATION

• Will be released in the US on December 19 2006.
    • Set release date in the UK: January 29 2007.
    • Set release date in Australia: March 21 2007.
    • Will be released in a Lisa head packaging and an alternate which is based around the 200th episode, The Trash of the Titans.
    • Lisa Head Packaging
    • Alternate Packaging
    • For a full list of special features, please check out this page: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6494
    • Back cover shot available at http://i12.tinypic.com/2j0nn9s.jpg
    • Once again, the entire collection will feature commentary on all 25 episodes, as well as a bonus second commentary on "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson."
    • The commentary for "The Cartridge Family" lists reclusive writer John Swartzwelder. If this is true, it will be the first time he has appeared on a commentary track.
    Last edited by Charlie; 12-12-2006 at 11:17 PM.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Saxomaphone!

I also believe this to be the last good season of the show, and therefore the final season of the Simpsons that I'll be adding to my DVD collection. Plenty of classics to go around in this 25-episode set, including one of my top 10 favorite episodes, Lisa's Sax.

In fact, I'll wager that season nine will feature the Lisa head simply because there are four episodes with her name in the title and they'll probably want to end with Bart for season ten.

I haven't seen the non-syndicated versions of these episodes so I'm really looking forward to sitting down on the couch in December and viewing them uncut and with improved sound/picture.
    Homer's Brain: "Oh glory of glories. Oh heavenly testament to the eternal majesty that is God's creation."
    Homer: "Holy macaroni!"
    My DVD Collection
    TOP 25:
    1. Homer the Heretic
    2. Marge vs. the Monorail
    3. Last Exit to Springfield
    4. Treehouse of Horror V
    5. Cape Feare
    6. Home-Sweet-Home-Diddily-Dum-Doodily
    7. The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show
    8. Lisa’s First Word
    9. Simpson and Delilah
    10. Lisa’s Sax
    11. $pringfield
    12. 22 Short Films About Springfield
    13. Mr. Plow
    14. Mother Simpson
    15. I Love Lisa
    16. El Viaje Misterioso De Nuestro Jomer
    17. Bart of Darkness
    18. A Streetcar Named Marge
    19. You Only Move Twice
    20. Treehouse of Horror VI
    21. Homer’s Enemy
    22. Rosebud
    23. Krusty Gets Kancelled
    24. Bart the Lover
    25. A Fish Called Selma

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

Can't wait to hear Scully's input on the commentaries!
    Simpson Crazy
    Now with iGoogle gadgets! Try Quote of the Day and Word of the Day

my other sites: Toon images · Song Lyrics · Website tutorials

All these episodes have been on Sky One in the last year so I would've seen them all before. I like the Last Temptation of Krust if that's in this season 'cos it aired on my b'day! And also Girly Edition is one of my favourite episodes so I will be buying this DVD

Quote Originally Posted by scottvivian
    Can't wait to hear Scully's input on the commentaries!
    Me too. I'll probably bump my Scully commentary anticipation thread nearer to the time. Good job with this thread too Ivan.

Still waiting for season 8 at the moment...

I'm looking foward to this a lot, mainly for City of New York vs Homer Simpson and it's commentary. It's still a great season and I can't wait to view it in it's airing order again...

Any idea on the box color? I'm gonna guess brown because it's always some odd color knowone ever guesses...
    Lightspeed Briefs, as seen in your dreams.
    My deviantART page

welcome to my town sacrelicious's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan
    I was surprised an official thread hadn't been started yet.
    True, but there has been a season 9 thread on here that started right after season 8 on DVD was released.

My speculation is that it's going to be Lisa heads or a green box. Someone created a pretty good looking one for the 8th season (which I include here) when everyone was speculating S8 would be lisa. I was just looking at my entire simpsons DVD collection and thought that a green box would look nice...we'll see.

Notoriety for whatever reason, never seems to benefit the noted, only the 'notees'

But what is the Question?

I want to listen to the commentary on "The Principal and the Pauper," to see if they acknowledge its... reputation and maybe tell us what the hell they were thinking.

hmm this means im thinking!

John only a nerd would say that... im just joking
    Who the **** is me is a question i often ask myself !

"What good is money if you cant strike fear in your fellow man"

Quote Originally Posted by sacrelicious
    True, but there has been a season 9 thread on here that started right after season 8 on DVD was released.

My speculation is that it's going to be Lisa heads or a green box. Someone created a pretty good looking one for the 8th season (which I include here) when everyone was speculating S8 would be lisa. I was just looking at my entire simpsons DVD collection and thought that a green box would look nice...we'll see.

that's cool, someone used my box design i created that picture a while back for the eighth season dvd thread.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Bent_My_Wookiee
    that's cool, someone used my box design i created that picture a while back for the eighth season dvd thread.
    Take all the credit in the world. I remember seeing it awhile ago and thinking it was cool. They still haven't done the Lisa one - here's hoping!!

It would probably be a little different considering you've got a season 8 theme, but the Lisa part and the green is cool.

i did design it, i've still got the original version on my computer (the brown version)

All I can say is this better be out by Xmas. They've created an expectation and they better uphold it.

There was a season 9 thread started before this, but it wasn't entirely focused on season 9. Hopefully this will be.

This is the last season I'll actually be looking forward to mainly because of the episodes. There are still plenty of classics in here. After than, it'll be mainly because of the commentaries.

The Good Lookin' Guy

It'll be the last one with Bill Oakly and Josh Weinstein. It is truly the end of an era, again.

I hope they don't edit out the Twin Towers.

Of course they won't. It's the COMPLETE 9th season, and you basically wouldn't have the season premiere if they cut out all the twin towers stuff.

your right, but I bet somewere in it there will be a in memory of 9/11 or something.

your right, but I bet somewere in it there will be a in memory of 9/11 or something.

Personally, I doubt it. There's series like Family Guy that have had references to the Twin Towers (and Seth McFarlane himself was meant to be in one of the planes that hit the towers) but they haven't done a little tribute or anything. There's really nothing they can do as a tribute on a DVD for the Simpsons though. There's no way you could really do a "good" featurette on having the New York episode and the memories of 9/11 and stuff, and personally I wouldn't really like if they added in a card at the end of the episode saying that either, because it should be just how the episodes aired the first time without anything 'tacked on'. I don't want to sound disrespectful, but that was the best way I could make my point come across. The only thing I would really accept was if Bill and Josh do a 30-second or so extra commentary that you can listen to after the episode, much like David Mirkin's farewell after the episode "Team Homer" and the small tribute to Anne Bancroft in "Fear of Flying".

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not quite sure this is worth buying on it's own grounds, but the fact that it's got some holdovers makes me want to get it, just because it'll feel like I don't fully own the classic era without it, even if the classic era episodes aren't all that great, It's the last we'll get to hear from Bill, Josh, David Mirkin and Mike Reiss.
    So I'm pretty certain it's the last set I'll get.

And I don't see what the Big Deal About Mike Scully is, we've all heard him we know what he's like. He's not going to talk about fan opinion on the episodes, he's going to do the commentaries assuming most people love these episodes, just like everyone else has. (with the occasional exception of Bill & Josh) They won't comment on the problems we all have with episodes because most of the time they won't see them as problems.
    So I really don't see what's exciting.

Stonecutter

I haven't even thought about this yet, as I still have to wait a fortnight for the Season 8 DVD, but I will buy Season 9 - the commentaries should be quite interesting for this season - and a lot of the episodes are very good, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan
    Of course they won't. It's the COMPLETE 9th season, and you basically wouldn't have the season premiere if they cut out all the twin towers stuff.
    Complete, eh? Are you familiar with the SNPP DVD companion?

And seeing that episode in it's entirety is one of the things I'm looking forward to most about this set. In Britain, it was absent from scheduling until last year and even then there was several terrible edits to mask the fact that it was the twin towers. Info

that's strange. After 9/11 I wondered if they would edit that episode or remove it from syndication altogether. But I've seen that episode multiple times on TV (uncut) here in the states since then. I don't see why they would want to cut out the towers. I have noticed this in other shows/movies. Are we supposed to pretend they never existed in the first place? Or do they want the flaming, crumbling buildings to be the only image we remember of the WTC?

I just had a thought. I wonder if anything 9/11 related might delay Season 9 on DVD from its anticipated December release. If we have no word of it coming out in December IMO I would point to possible sensitivity issues in The City of New York vs Homer Simpson...we'll see.

Milhouse For President

I know a lot of US affiliates removed The City of New York v Homer Simpson right after 9/11, but it was back in rotation in most places within 18 months (and certainly airs now - though infrequently) with only the regular syndication edits, so I doubt they'd do anything to edit the DVD release, at least in Region 1. Most of the omissions on previous releases (again, I can only speak for Region 1) were because of poorly preserved masters, the only editotrial edit I can remember was the "Tourette's Syndrome" line from season 3. As integral as The WTC towers are to that episode, I really can't see them being edited out of the R1 release.

Even Family Guy re-released the Osama bin Laden referenced episode, uncut, on the "Freakin' Sweet" collection, and since Fox produces both DVD sets - I doubt they'll impose any edits on "The Simpsons."

Do we have any word on a definitive release date? I know that history points at December, but with the movie AND the current production cycle, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of delay. I guess we'll know for sure in a the next two - three weeks, as press-releases are usually issued 6 - 8 weeks in advance.
    "Smithers, I think I'll donate a million dollars to the local orphanage...when pigs fly!"

[laughing as a pig flies past the window]

"Will you be donating that million dollars now, Sir?"

"Nooo - I'd still prefer not."

Quote Originally Posted by film_girl
    Do we have any word on a definitive release date? I know that history points at December, but with the movie AND the current production cycle, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of delay.
    True there is no word yet, but the most simple marketing strategy in the US is to get it on the shelves in time for the Holiday season. Delaying it past the middle of December would be detremental to sales, simply because of timing.

But what is the Question?

Ah, yes, but what about people buying Christmas II or Spendover gifts?
    For me, this season is the first one thta marked the series' decline, but I'd still consider it classic. Rest assured, I'll be buying it.

I wonder what the theme of this set will be? Season Six was whodunnit, Season Seven was a movie premiere, and Season Eight was a family album.

hmm this means im thinking!

I want it to be a spaceman theme!!!

why?

I doubt they'll cut City Of New York Vs. Homer Simpson. It'd suck if they did, but I seriously doubt it. I never even remember it being not shown around here. Pretty sure I saw it in syndication not long after 9/11. It really doesn't make much sense to cut or ban it anyway just because it involves the twin towers. Just seeing the towers isn't offensive or disrespectful at all.

Thread Information