Thread: Canadian Animation

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Canadian Animation

If you live in Canada, everything you will see here may sound pretty much obvious.

Remember watching those cartoon shows that were *ahem*cheaply*ahem* animated with Flash that were on Cartoon Network (or Teletoon if you live in Canada)?
    There is nothing bad with the cartoons that were made in Canada, but I was wondering if anyone here would like to discuss about those type of cartoons here.

EDIT: For example, show like Total Drama Island, etc. those kinds of shows...
    Yeah, my comments are awful...

Blog Entries

Check out Kevin Spencer for mint condition Canadian animation

Blog Entries

PUKING ON THE RUN

Blog Entries

HE SWEARS AT EVERYONE

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just discovered this gem of a series on Netflix a week ago.

As for the Flash animated Canadian shows as a whole, there's a few good ones in there (6Teen and Jimmy Two Shoes were pretty entertaining as a kid). My main problem with them is just how similar so many of them feel (Sidekicks, Scaredy Squirrel, Grojband, Supernoobs) in looks, writing, and humor. They're watchable and have their moments, but so many of them just feel so cheap and forgettable.

And then there's just ridiculous stuff like Almost Naked Animals and Mega Babies, that just completely astound me in how they were allowed to be green lit for television. Not to say there isn't ridiculous shows being released by other countries, but combining those infamous series with the sheer amount of new Flash + CGI shows they release every year, it doesn't really leave a good impression for Canada's Animation dept.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Agree! Now that is a great reply, man!
    Last edited by chunkychief09; 10-19-2016 at 02:47 PM.

I've always enjoyed the huge wealth of animated shorts funded through out the years by the Canada Council of the Arts... So many cool, low budget animation projects .. used to be shown during network down time(a thing of the past thanks to 24hr cable) giving free TV exposure to cartoons that would never see the light of day in countries with just "for profit networks".
    The "Big Snit" & "The Cat Came Back" are memorable classics that owe their existence to the National Film Boards grants

Blog Entries

Canadian cartoons are a mixed bag. On one hand, I remember growing up and having fun watching shows like the Total Drama series and 6Teen.

On the other hand, they also gave us Johnny Test, which went on forever and had more episodes then it ever should have had.

Fond memories of this dopey classic.. "The Raccoons" .. you can see the huge mess of animation cel paint grades assigned to each character.. this was just of the tip of the iceberg, if they needed to use extra cell layers in a shot.. A well stocked cel paint inventory is a HUGE expense in old animation studios.

Cel paints, paper, and accessories are extremely expensive, even for today. Is it worth it to work with animations with cels today? I can do digital animation today.

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I only know Total Drama and Johnny Test. The latter gets a LOT of hate which I only realized recently. But from watching a few scenes and just remembering some episodes, it's starting to make sense. On the other hand, I like Total Drama. But I don't watch it as often as things like Simpsons because, well you know, it's a parody of reality TV shows, which gives it less rewatch value. I mean you know who wins, you know what happenes, you know who gets together etc. It's really more something you follow and watch once. Like a real reality show. Last time I watched it was about exactly a year ago, when I had a marathon of all the seasons to that date. I saw the first 2 episodes of The Ridonculous Race then I just sorta forgot.

I just noticed something, The character styles from TDI and other shows [like Dexter's Lab, Johnny Test, etc.] have one style in common. Let me guess... Retro?
    I found a book on Amazon that tells you how to draw those characters:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0823005879...=IVFPH72XXCOML

If you look at the related items, you should find books that are similar to this one.
    I want to buy this book so I can start my animation career. Mmmust haaavve!

A Flying Saucer Orbiting Earth's Remaining Moon

Not sure if I'm off topic with this, but both Reboot and Justin Time are Canadian shows and both are excellent.

Not sure if we're supposed to stick to poorly animated shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by morbot
    Thats the dumbest thing I think I've ever read... and I only read bits of it.

Well, it can be any cartoon show that was made in Canada.
    It doesn't really matter about if it had good or bad reviews..

100th Post!

A Flying Saucer Orbiting Earth's Remaining Moon

Awesome.

Since "DIC" moved some of its cartoon production to Canadian to take advantage of the awesome grants and tax breaks from the Canadian government... there's a huge stable of shows to discuss.
    Which to mention first? Nelvana stuff or DIC Canada stuff? Hmmm?

I remember watching Johnny Test on CN a long time ago, it wasn't bad, but I would say it was between awful - meh.
    I was not a big fan of the show, compared to Ed Edd n Eddy or Chowder.

Blog Entries

I rarely take it into account but I've actually seen a lot more Canadian animated shows than I assume I have when I look at the list of what's out there.

Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy
    6teen
    Angela Anaconda
    Crash Canyon
    Total Drama
    Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
    Rolie Polie Olie
    Donkey Kong Country
    Ned's Newt
    The Cramp Twins
    Clone High
    Babar
    Beast Wars: Transformers
    Braceface
    Kevin Spencer
    Inspector Gadget
    Pippi Longstocking
    Arthur

There's very little of the stuff on that list that I would personally consider to be of high quality. A lot of it is just passable kid show fodder with a few infamously godawful clunkers, and some of it isn't even 100% Canadian.
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

I've watched Total Drama (liked until Season 4), Johnny Test (Neutral about, just watched it because it was on) and probably a few others that I don't know.
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

Christian Potenza is going to be at one of our local comic-cons. Really makes me feel the nostalgia for 6teen.

Does MLP count as being Canadian? Since it's animated there but the script and voice acting is recorded in the US? Also the 2010 Pound Puppies series is that way. Which is an hidden gem and underrated. Go try the show out on Netflix please.

I think of MLP'FIM as Canadian.. without the art, it'd just be a radio show/podcast ..

I think Canadian cartoons have to be completely made in Canada... I don't really know how to say that.

If you recall Toon Boom, their headquarters are in Canada, but that does not mean every animated show was made in Canada
    (unless some company hired another company in Canada to animate their stuff).

Just for the sake of it, I do have a Windows copy of Macromedia Flash MX (2002) that I bought on eBay in April 2015 for about $30 and thought I should show it off.

As of October 2015 I finally switched to Adobe Creative Cloud. But I am having some issues with Animate, the new name for Flash. The windows go black, and then the app crashes, and it seems like Adobe has not fixed the issue yet, or it could be my computer causing the crashes, but I doubt it.

Dont be so hard on Canada.. Their a global animation leader
    Disney farms out/out sources many of its production labor all over the world,.. and you still think of their stuff as American
    Last edited by Gatorgod; 08-02-2016 at 07:56 PM.

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rehpotsirhc View Post
    I only know Total Drama and Johnny Test. The latter gets a LOT of hate which I only realized recently. But from watching a few scenes and just remembering some episodes, it's starting to make sense. On the other hand, I like Total Drama. But I don't watch it as often as things like Simpsons because, well you know, it's a parody of reality TV shows, which gives it less rewatch value. I mean you know who wins, you know what happenes, you know who gets together etc. It's really more something you follow and watch once. Like a real reality show. Last time I watched it was about exactly a year ago, when I had a marathon of all the seasons to that date. I saw the first 2 episodes of The Ridonculous Race then I just sorta forgot.
    Ridonculos Race is the best season my man, I ended up marathoning it in a few days. Great stuff.
    Season 27 Ratings: Every Man's Dream - 5/10 | Cue Detective - 9/10 | Puffless - 7/10 | Halloween of Horror - 10/10 | Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7/10 | Friend with Benefit - 7/10 | Lisa with an S - needs rewatch | Barthood - 10/10 will watch again | The Girl Code - 9/10 | Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 7/10 | Much Apu About Something - 8/10 | Love Is in the Air: needs rewatch | Gal of Constant Sorrow: 8/10 | Lisa the Veterenarian: 7/10 | The Marge-ian Chronicles - 9/10 | The Burns Cage - 8/10 all credibility lost | How Lisa Got Her Marge Back - 6/10 | Fland Canyon - 8/10 | To Courier with Love - 9/10 | Simprovised - 7/10 | Orange Is the New Yellow - 8/10

Bob's Burgers Season Rankings: 3>6>5=4=2>1
    Fairly Oddparents Season Rankings: 4>3>6>8>2=10 (so far)>1>0>7>5>9

@Smear-Gel
    Oh god.. your avatar pic... *hears krumping in the background*

There are so many of those one season-ed, made in Canada type cartoons out there, I can't number any of them! Did I forget to say Flash in that category?

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don’t consider Ed, Edd ’n Eddy to be a Canadian show, since it is co-produced by Cartoon Network Studios which is an American company. Same goes for Friendship Is Magic and the 2012 Pound Puppies cartoon.
    Last edited by ataeaf; 08-02-2016 at 04:29 PM.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    I rarely take it into account but I've actually seen a lot more Canadian animated shows than I assume I have when I look at the list of what's out there.

Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy
    6teen
    Angela Anaconda
    Crash Canyon
    Total Drama
    Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
    Rolie Polie Olie
    Donkey Kong Country
    Ned's Newt
    The Cramp Twins
    Clone High
    Babar
    Beast Wars: Transformers
    Braceface
    Kevin Spencer
    Inspector Gadget
    Pippi Longstocking
    Arthur

There's very little of the stuff on that list that I would personally consider to be of high quality. A lot of it is just passable kid show fodder with a few infamously godawful clunkers, and some of it isn't even 100% Canadian.
    Arthur? Well that's good.

Also Ruby Gloom, which is one of my favourites.

I should recall something, NOT all Can. cartoons are one season-ed.

I just searched "Angela Anaconda" on Google, and I have no clue why the looks of the show creeps me out. It just looks like one of those JibJab web cards...

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Politely View Post
    Christian Potenza is going to be at one of our local comic-cons. Really makes me feel the nostalgia for 6teen.
    Attended the voice actors' panel, featuring Christian Potenza (Jude from 6teen and Chris from Total Drama), as well as Toby Proctor (voice of Sailor Moon's Tuxedo Mask). Sat in the front row and tried not to fan girl too hard.

Thread Information