View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Goo Goo Gai Pan

3 4.11%
  • Mobile Homer

0 0%
  • The Seven-Beer Snitch

0 0%
  • Future-Drama

11 15.07%
  • Don't Fear the Roofer

4 5.48%
  • The Heartbroke Kid

23 31.51%
  • A Star is Torn

3 4.11%
  • Thank God It's Doomsday

8 10.96%
  • Home Away from Homer

8 10.96%
  • The Father, the Son, and the Holy Guest Star

13 17.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Season Sixteen Best Episode: Part Two (The Heartbroke Kid Wins)

"The Heartbroke Kid", mostly for Al Brook's role as Tab Spangler and the relevant satire on easily accessible vending machine junk food in many schools. A lot of good episodes here actually near the end, really helped strengthen the season overall.

The second half was much better than the first half. I'm not really sure what to pick. A lot of these episodes are pretty decent. I guess I'll go with Futur-Drama, since that's the one I remeber the most (i haven't seen any of them in a while).
    that makes me stupid, and you a whore

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

It's either The Heartbroke Kid or Thank God It's Doomsday. The latter has grown on me with every repeat viewing and to a lesser degree the former. It's so hard for me to choose that I'll abstain and give my vote later.

There are some decent episodes here, but it seems Season 16 is full of decent average episodes, with very few "standouts" and only a couple of clunkers.
    Favorite Episodes (by Season): Season 1: Krusty Gets Busted, Call of the Simpsons
    Season 2: Blood Feud, Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, Bart the Daredevil
    Season 3: Radio Bart, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Bart the Murderer
    Season 4: Homer the Heretic, Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Front
    Season 5: Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song
    Season 6: Bart's Girlfriend, Bart of Darkness, Homie the Clown
    Season 7: Summer of 4ft 2, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart Sells His Soul
    Season 8: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, The Springfield Files, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
    Season 9: Girly Edition, The Cartridge Family, Lisa the Skeptic
    Season 10: They Saved Lisa's Brain, Lisa Gets an A, Simpsons Bible Stories
    Season 11: Grift of the Magi, Brother's Little Helper, Beyond Blunderdome
    Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer, The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Trilogy of Error
    Season 13: The Bart Wants What It Wants, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, Sweets and Sour Marge
    Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, The Bart of War, Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington
    Season 15: Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Tis the Fifteenth Season, The Wandering Juvie
    Season 16: Thank God It's Doomsday, The Heartbroke Kid, Fat Man and Little Boy
    Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Marge's Son Poisoning, Bart Has Two Mommies
    Season 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple, 24 Minutes, Little Big Girl
    Season 19: The Debarted, Midnight Towboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
    Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone, Take My Life Please, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words

I liked a lot of these episodes. I agree, Heartbroke kid was a very poignant satire, especially right now. Not only vending companies, but snack and junk food companies in general are just sharks in America right now and its spreading all over the world.

I saw this, and saw Super Size Me not long after and although I really kept my intake of Junk Food to a minimum before, after all this I swore off it for a while. I eat it now from time to time but I think a balanced diet is just so incredibly important to your daily life, its very underestimated. Anyways I'm going really off topic.

Except for maybe Doomsday, which sort of felt a bit weird funny, I liked all of these. But Star is Torn and Future-Drama are particularly nice to me. I think Future Drama is very underrated...but at the same time its understandable why many wouldn't like it. But its depiction of Teenage Bart was really cool, and everything was generally pretty fun. It was just a for fun episode like all the future ones, and thats why I liked it a lot. Sure, it went a bit too crazy with the "This is the future!" jokes, from magic...to robo Wiggum, but all of this was meant to not be taken very seriously. Its all just a possible future.

I really wish we got to see more of the teenage students, Homer and Marge's sub plot with the divorse I think should of been left to be its own future episode in the future (no pun intended). This was Bart and the kid/teen's episode really, I felt while the thing with Krusty was funny and the ending was romantic to a point it wasn't really necessary.

But all the same I'll vote for it.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Roofer, Heartbroke, and Doomsday were all rather unique and interesting episodes, and I enjoyed Future-Drama to a point as well.

However, I find Home Away From Homer to be one of the best Flanders episodes, and very underrated overall. It's an excellent and hilarious role-reversal-done-right with the two neighbors, and it touches down on their friendship in a rather warm (but never schmaltzy) way. The third act gets a little weird with Ned's figurine town, but all in all this is classic stuff with some very good writing. My pick of the season.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

You know thinking about that...I sort of regret not voting for Home away from Homer now. It was a really good episode I thought too.

But ah well, I gotta stick to it now.:silly:

All of the ones TriforceBun mentioned are great, although "Heartbroke" is definitely in the top 5 of the Jean era for me. It wins.
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C- Woo-hoo Dunnit? ​B Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion ​C+

I very nearly voted for Home Away From Homer. I rewatched it recently and it could well be one of the funniest Jean era episodes. Homer in particular has a ton of good lines, and I really enjoyed the strangeness of the town Ned goes to live in. On the downside, the episode is very dry until the girls move into Flanders and I felt the episode could have done with more time with Ned and Homer coping with their respective neighbours.

The Heartbroke Kid is reasonable but over time I've lost quite a lot of interest in it as an episode. Yeah the alternative opening is funny, and the episode has a point to make, but Bart is still boringly characterised. There's little he says or does that has any spark, and really it could be any ten year old in his situation. The second act really meanders and just seems to show Bart eating over and over again. The fat camp is ok but nothing particularly cutting or funny. Homer singing in German is dragged out, the ending is strange...I feel like there's a lot of filler in this episode.

So anyway I went for Thank God It's Doomsday. It's ambitious, open to interpretation, has a great final scene; maybe not the funniest episode (although it has its moments certainly), but possibly the most interesting of the season.

The Heartbroke Kid

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with everything Jammy has said on this one. Besides the stand out moments, Doomsday seems to have stuck in my memory better than Heartbroke Kid.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Goo Goo Gai Pan. Fun, entertaining, and a decent commentary even if it is slowed down by silly gags.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

I'm surprised here, but until I came along, my two favourites had nul points.

I voted for Don't Fear the Roofer. It kept me interested for all of its twenty-one or so minutes, I liked Ray Magini (though I've never seen anything else that Ray Romano has done), Stephen Hawking was alright, the plot as a whole was good, quite funny, I loved Hawking's explanation for why Bart couldn't see Ray. Just the right level of anarchic silliness for me. And "I haven't seen this much melted cheese since I left my Billy Joel albums in the sun" is probably the funniest line to come out of season sixteen in my opinion.

My second choice would have been Mobile Homer. The direction is pretty damn good, as is the animation and the colouring, nice and vibrant. I know people are saying "not another bleedin' marriage episode," and to an extent, I agree with this, but I think this one is comparable to some of the best. The argument that Marge has with Homer, ("that's a joke! From what I hear you just sleep, googling your own name!" etc) she really tears into him - I felt that this was perhaps the most convincing row that the couple had got into. And the rest of the episode also contains good stuff - I'm scared of spiders, so Homer cleaning out the garage resonated with me, and though I don't like seeing Homer being injured for the sake of it, Homer's injuries were an important part of the plot and did not bother me in any way whatsoever.

Now for the rest:
    Goo Goo Gai Pan - hmmm, not bad. Not the best vacation episode ever. Japan, Australia and Brazil were better than this. Didn't like the singing dragons. I know that the Simpsons thrives on silliness but this was perhaps a little too silly.
    The Seven Beer Snitch, I have bad memories of it. I was at university when this was on, so had to have it taped for me, to watch when I returned home. It had been a long day of travelling for me, and I just couldn't stay awake through the whole episode, on account of my tiredness, and the fact that the episode + subplot really were boring. So I tried to watch the episode again the next morning, and fell asleep through it again. Hmmm....If I fall asleep watching an episode the first couple of times I watch it, it surely can't be a good sign.
    Future-Drama, I cannot believe that this is one of the leaders in this poll. Really, I have very little to say about it that is positive - as a matter of fact, I think that Bart to the Future was better, more inspired and more interesting. Certainly, Lisa's Wedding is light years ahead of this one. Future-Drama - overrated as Hell.
    The Heartbroke Kid - Okay, I liked the first act of this. The Yummy Yummy Yummy montage, the parody of the opening credits, these together made this the best first act of the season. However, the second and third acts failed to even approach the high standard set by act one, really dragging this episode down. Albert Brooks' new character lacked charisma and remains certainly the least memorable of the characters he's done in the past. (Just what is so good about Mr Brooks anyway? I don't even know what he's famous for outside of The Simpsons...)
    A Star Is Torn ....Meh, not all that good. Take it or leave it.
    Thank God It's Doomsday is a good episode, and my third choice, but still some way behind my first two choices.
    Home Away From Homer is often cited as underrated. I have to respectfully disagree, because I wasn't impressed when I saw it. It wasn't all that funny, nor was it all that interesting, and some moments were a bit off to me. The Humbleton figurines, okaaaaay....and the ending was a bit of nothing really.
    And finally, The Father, Son and the Holy Guest Star has its moments but is far from the best here. Liam Neeson did a decent job, but the episode isn't as good as The Joy of Sect, if you want to compare it to another "Simpson family member converts to another religion" episode.

Thanks for reading!

That Veronica Vaughn..... Ryan_'s Avatar

the heartbroke kid

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar
    Goo Goo Gai Pan. Fun, entertaining, and a decent commentary even if it is slowed down by silly gags.

+ it had Buddha Homer.

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

...and that's good because?? Honestly I never saw anything good in Goo Goo Gai Pan. The first three episodes of this set are among the show's worst.

I voted for Don't Fear the Roofer. The best episode of the Season, but still had too many problems (electro-shock etc)

laughing time is ovah! Henrik P's Avatar

Goo Goo Gai Pan.

;-/

father, son and holy guest star is probably the best episode of the last few years, in my opinion. it has a good satire that never crosses over into being mean-spirited, and it has some of the funniest jokes in the jean era (particularly the priest's flashback).

Am I the only one that thinks that this is a poor bunch of episodes? These are all classic examples of Jean dullness to me. Heartbroke just about takes it, but I don't even like that very much...

I thought that this half had a number of strong if unremarkable episodes. Thank God It's Doomsday stands out, although I did not like the conversation with God that much, and The Father, the Son, and the Holy Guest had a number of moments which didn't work. I will pick the Heartbroke Kid because I found it to be very funny and had something to say

The average season 16 episode is just a little bit better than the average episode in the rest of Jean's seasons. All of these have redeemable qualities to them, even the silly Seven Beer Snitch. Goo Goo Gai Pan is quite funny in places and the best family vacation episode Jean has done. Mobile Homer manages to be quite good despite being a marital conflict episode, and Stephen Hawking's appearance in Don't Fear the Roofer makes for one of the best cop-outs the series has done. Ultimately, I went with The Heartbroke Kid, which has some really great scenes in it. My biggest beef with that episode was the rap slang, which felt as embarassing here as it does when real advertising companies try to use it.

Blog Entries

Close pick. I've always loved the end of Season 16's episodes. Don't Fear the Roofer, Home Away from Homer, and The Heartbroke Kid are all fantastic episodes... But I went with Thank God It's Doomsday. Interesting plot with some awesome jokes. What more could you want?

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adam R
    Am I the only one that thinks that this is a poor bunch of episodes? These are all classic examples of Jean dullness to me. Heartbroke just about takes it, but I don't even like that very much...
    It's strange when I look at season 16, a lot of them seem to be fairly unremarkble, and I know a lot of the problems here are present in season 17, the style and approach to episodes is similar, and yet season 16 is my favourite Jean season and 17 is my least favourite.
    Somehow the plots come across far more focused and tight even though a lot of them do seem to be all over the place, they just seem to stick to a central theme more. The jokes hit far more often, with far less duds, even though the style of them seems to be the same. There really doesn't seem to be any reason why there should be such a gap between the two, yet there just is.

The Heartbroke Kid, easily season 16's best.

Quote Originally Posted by scottvivian
    ...and that's good because??
    Because my word is law Scott. Any who defy it must walk the path of fire, famine, and pain while I strike them with annoying non-lethal lightning bolts. :silly:

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Believe me, he'll do it. He is a rapscallion, after all.

lol. I dunno, to be honest I was tired and half joking with that post last night.

But I didn't think it was so bad an episode, talking seriously. Not the greatest ever but it was sorta shallow fun I thought.

Stonecutter

Don't Fear The Roofer, although it was close between that and The Heartbroke Kid.

Blog Entries

Maybe I'm just confused, but how come no one voted for A Star Is Torn? The plot was simple, but IMO, this episode is the best one from Season 16
    calmer than you are

Gah-HOY'geh'flavin! Number 10767's Avatar

The Heartbroke Kid, easily the best episode in this season IMHO.
    Ooh, they have the Internet on computers now!

Tie between The Heartbroke Kid and The Father, The Son, and The Holy Guest Star for me. I went with The Father, The Son, and The Holy Guest Star because it has the higher rewatch value, and had me bursting out in laughter quite a few times, as well as raising a pretty good point about the fighting between Protestants and Catholics. It has a really outdated view of Catholicism, but despite that, I still find the parodying amusing. Homer's confession, so sue me, had me in hysterics: "And I masturbated eight-bajillion times and don't have any plans in the future!"

I also liked Goo Goo Gai Pan, though vacations and Selma's babies have been done before, it was quite entertaining, especially with the Spy Bart and Singing Dragons. Thank God Its Doomsday also gets a plus for parodying the annoying Apocalypse screamings as of late.

The only episodes I actually found bad in this section was Mobile Homer, The Seven-Beer Snitch, and Future-Drama

Thread Information