View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can

21 25.93%
  • A Star is Born-Again

2 2.47%
  • Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington

3 3.70%
  • C. E. D'oh

5 6.17%
  • 'Scuse Me While I Miss the Sky

5 6.17%
  • Three Gays of the Condo

4 4.94%
  • Dude, Where's My Ranch?

2 2.47%
  • Old Yeller-Belly

1 1.23%
  • Brake My Wife, Please

2 2.47%
  • The Bart of War

1 1.23%
  • Moe Baby Blues

35 43.21%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Season Fourteen Best Episode: Part Two (Moe Baby Blues Wins)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Season Fourteen Best Episode: Part Two (Moe Baby Blues Wins)

Again, like 13, much better second half than first.

Anyway, "Moe Baby Blues" here, second favorite of the Jean era. Almost cinematic in its direction, it's proof of just how important the visual aspect of the show really is when it comes to good storytelling, as so much of its dramatic appeal comes from Maggie (and Moe) and their visual acting, and their facial expressions, as well as the blurring lines between Moe's stories to Maggie and her imagination/perception of it with the objects in her room. Add one of the best Godfather tributes on television and a defining Moe characterization and I think it justifies itself as a classic. Though "The Bart of War", being the sharpest, smartest satire in the Jean era is a good runner-up.

I'm Spelling... for me, though Three Gays... comes close. Both good, funny in places and not too dull plots, but I'm Spelling... had it's loveable sub-plot on top of what it already had.

Way, way better than the first half of the season. Moe Baby Blues is my favorite, but there are a lot of other really good episodes in here.

Not waving but drowning Lady_Simpson's Avatar

Moe Baby Blues.

Which is odd, considering I typically don't like episodes where Moe's suicidal.
    And I liked how it focussed on Homer and Maggie's relationship, something which is relatively rare.
    You want the truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth-handler, you. Bah! I deride your truth-handling abilities! - Sideshow Bob

What a strong group of episodes. I will pick Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington which was a surprisingly well-done satire after all of these years. The FOX News parody was one of my favorite scenes from the season. There could have been a little better resolution to getting the bill passed than the paper clip, but other than that, I didn't have a problem with the episode at all. I liked almost all of the episodes here, although I found the overrated Moe Baby Blues to be one of the worst on the list

Moe Baby Blues is a good episode and it's going to win anyway so I voted for "Break my Wife, Please", which is an okay episode too.

Unoriginal, you bet I am. I went with Moe Baby Blues, though I really liked I'm Spelling as Fast as I Can also (why oh why couldn't it had been a part of the first batch?). All around this episode is very solid and strong. The emotional moments between Moe and Maggie feel sweet and innocent, there are a good number of funny moments (the bar model possibly being my favorite), the characterizations are right on, and the direction really adds to the experience. It might have been very easy to screw up Moe or Maggie's characterizations in this episode (previously in the season Moe was acting creepy and Maggie got handed some lousy jokes like drinking beer and dancing to Britney Spears), but instead Moe's rough personality was used perfectly and Maggie was adorable and cute. My only complaint is that the flower festival in the first act is kind of a throw-away story, but other than that everything came together just right.

Mad without power

Probably the strongest "half-season" of the Jean era, which is surprising considering how awful the first half of the season is. "Scuse Me While I Miss the Sky" clinches it for me, as it's one of the better attempts at satire in recent memory. In addition, the hood ornament sub-plot is hilarious.

Blog Entries

This part of Season 14 would be the best from Al Jean era IMO

I voted for 'I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can'. The episode was inches away of being instant classic... the ending was poor of carving Lisa's face out of mountain and y'know...

Moe Baby Blues would be my #2 on this one.
    calmer than you are

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

Moe Baby Blues is one of the last good emotional stories and also one of the last good secondary character episode
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can just pips Moe Baby Blues. These two, along with Three Gays of the Condo, are really the only episodes here that I would consider 'very good.' The others range from 'quite good' (Mr Spritz Goes To Washington) to 'very poor' (Dude, Where's My Ranch? and Brake My Wife, Please)

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

L-I-S-A, L-I-S-A! I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can is the easy winner. I may have only seen a lot of these episodes once and they probably deserve a second look from me, but I remember in general disliking Season 14 greatly. They look like they could be slightly better than the first half of the season though.

Three Gays of the Condo would get more respect from me if they didn't pull that Homer-Marge marital trouble stuff all the time now. It being nominated for an emmy probably got to Al Jean's head that this is what makes the show good. I enjoyed Bart of War probably more than most.

Dude Where's My Ranch? has one of my favorite all-time "I know it's bad but I still laugh anyway jokes." And that would be "Bed! Woo-hoo!" The temporary getaway reminds me of E-I-E-I-D'oh, which is never a good thing.

Brake My Wife Please should've braked after the end of the second act and did a 180 from what it did during the third act (more Homer-Marge BS). Marge subliminaly trying to kill Homer ranks 10 times worse than Marge's other attempts at killing in my book (e.g.- Mad Mad Marge). It's not so much that she tries to kill him, but it's that it focuses on how Homer wants to make it up to her.
    Favorite Episodes (by Season): Season 1: Krusty Gets Busted, Call of the Simpsons
    Season 2: Blood Feud, Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, Bart the Daredevil
    Season 3: Radio Bart, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Bart the Murderer
    Season 4: Homer the Heretic, Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Front
    Season 5: Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song
    Season 6: Bart's Girlfriend, Bart of Darkness, Homie the Clown
    Season 7: Summer of 4ft 2, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart Sells His Soul
    Season 8: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, The Springfield Files, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
    Season 9: Girly Edition, The Cartridge Family, Lisa the Skeptic
    Season 10: They Saved Lisa's Brain, Lisa Gets an A, Simpsons Bible Stories
    Season 11: Grift of the Magi, Brother's Little Helper, Beyond Blunderdome
    Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer, The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Trilogy of Error
    Season 13: The Bart Wants What It Wants, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, Sweets and Sour Marge
    Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, The Bart of War, Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington
    Season 15: Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Tis the Fifteenth Season, The Wandering Juvie
    Season 16: Thank God It's Doomsday, The Heartbroke Kid, Fat Man and Little Boy
    Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Marge's Son Poisoning, Bart Has Two Mommies
    Season 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple, 24 Minutes, Little Big Girl
    Season 19: The Debarted, Midnight Towboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
    Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone, Take My Life Please, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words

I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can gets my vote, but Moe Baby Blues and The Bart Of War don't fall far behind.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

Wow, a lot of episodes in the A range. "Moe Baby Blues" though.

Might as well declare Moe Baby Blues the victor here and move on to season 15. I'm going to have to vote for it as well, but I don't think it really rates better than a B+. I'm Spelling as Fast as I can is a very close runner up, and 3 Gays is decent as well. This might be the least memorable of all seasons, and might be the only one that doesn't have an episode that I think deserves an A- or above.

Much, much better than the first half.

Baby Blues wins hands down for me. The idea is so sweet and makes so much sense with Moe and Maggie's character that I can't not love the episode. Its also got some very funny moments and Moe's sarcastic wit never fails. I guess some may not like how callous Homer is at the end but for me the great scenes between Moe and Maggie, and Moe himself just completely stole the show away from any amount of jerkass Homer.

Its just a fantastic episode I think.

I'm spelling as fast as I can is another great one. I guess I can see why the Statue is kind of irk worthy for some people, although it didn't really bug me or affect me positively or negatively at all really. But the ending with Springfield surprising you by actually being 100% behind Lisa for a change was real sweet and maybe that just distracted from that to me.

But Lisa has so many great episodes, and Maggie episodes are much rarer...when combined with Moe you just can't lose I think.

I liked Bart of War, and Brake my Wife as well. This season had an overall sort of idyllic feel to it...a lot of more touching (or attempted in some cases perhaps) endings. Bart of War was just guilty fun for me, and Brake had one of my favorite musical numbers as well as a pretty good third act. It was one of Homer's better moments in the modern era seasons. I'm glad there was no big cop out ending too, it was nice to end it with the party ending just like that.

Mr Spritz, Yeller Belly, Miss the Sky, Star is Born again, all good episodes too. Even Three Gays and a Condo was kind of fun, even if the homosexual aspect of it I think was a bit lacking in subtlety. The only real kind of weak entry of these is Dude, Where's my Ranch I think. Not bad, but not great either. The whole idea behind Tomacco was kind of funny though.
    Last edited by Kiyosuki; 08-24-2006 at 06:16 PM.

Gah-HOY'geh'flavin! Number 10767's Avatar

Moe Baby Blues is the clear winner here, the best of the Jean era. Still, this poll probably includes the strongest bunch of episodes since season 8, even if it does include the awful Dude, Where's My Ranch?
    Ooh, they have the Internet on computers now!

Racing (Amazingly)
    Melbourne, Australia (pronounced Mel-bn, not Mel-borrrn)

To all those people who say this is the strongest bunch since ages ago, have you checked the results? Only two episodes (Moe Baby Blues, and my personal favourite, I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can) have scored more than two votes.
    personally i feel people putting quotes in their sigs is as ridiculous.
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Spelling...

Dude/Ranch might be the worst episode of the entire series.
    Heckling a Puppet show.

Quote Originally Posted by tarflyonthewall
    To all those people who say this is the strongest bunch since ages ago, have you checked the results? Only two episodes (Moe Baby Blues, and my personal favourite, I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can) have scored more than two votes.
    Season 7 and 2 were like that as well.

Even if a season is overall pretty good, if there's one particular episode everyone loves its just going to get all the votes. Thats what happened with Lisa's Substitute back in 2 and thats certainly a pretty good season. Well...I think it is anyways.

"I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can", "Moe Baby Blues", "The Bart Of War" and "Three Gays Of The Condo" are all contenders here.

"Brake My Wife Please" and "Dude, Where's My Ranch?" are not.
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C- Woo-hoo Dunnit? ​B Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion ​C+

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyosuki
    Even if a season is overall pretty good, if there's one particular episode everyone loves its just going to get all the votes. Thats what happened with Lisa's Substitute back in 2 and thats certainly a pretty good season. Well...I think it is anyways.
    Yeah, exactly. Moe Baby Blues is usually a contender with Little Girl in the Big Ten as the best of the Jean era, so most people voted for it. That doesn't mean the rest of the season is weak. In fact, I would say all the episodes here except "Dude" and "Brake" would get at least a B- from me.

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

I'm spelling as fast as I can - 5/5
    A star is born again - 4/5
    Mr. Spritz goes to Washington - 5/5
    C.E.D'oh - 3/5
    'scuse me while I miss the sky - 5/5
    Three gays of condo - 5/5
    Dude,where's my ranch - 5/5
    Old yeller bely - 3/5
    Brake my wife,please - 5/5
    The Bart of war - 4/5
    Moe baby blues - 5/5

Man,what a great bunch of episodes. Only two I don't like that much,and even those aren't bad! And I've gotta say - this is deffinitely the hardest poll so far. "Mr. Spritz","Miss the sky","Where's my ranch" and "Moe baby blues" are all brilliant episodes.

At the end,I decided to vote for "Dude,where's my ranch". Classic plot,great jokes - and one of my favorite songs in the history of show "Everybody hates Flanders".

I see that "Dude/ranch" is a hated episode so,please,someone explain me why. I thought it was brilliant.
    Marmalade,I love marmalade...

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Moe Baby Blues baby.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

It's odd that the split here is between "Barting Over" and "Spelling" since the latter was exactly where I thought the season started to pick up at the time. There's still a couple duds in here ("Old Yeller Belly" anyone?) but it got so much better after that one episode.

Anyway, "Moe Baby Blues" is an easy choice. I think that's the one episode past season 8 that I would for sure put in my top 50.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

Stonecutter

Shall we just hand the title straight to Moe Baby Blues?

"I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can". It's one of the few from this season that I actually liked.
    "You know, those guys in there think I'm crazy...and I am, too!"

Lucky The Leprechaun

I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can although both Moe Baby Blues and Three Gays of the Condo are also deserving.

Pretty, pretty, pretty good. California Prunes's Avatar

'Moe Baby Blues.' Second best post classic era outing behind 'Little Girl In The Big Ten.'

'Mr. Spritz Goes To Washington', the vastly underrated and hilarious 'C.E. D'oh', ''Scuse Me While I Miss The Sky' and 'Three Gays Of The Condo' are also very good.

Wow, this really is a season of two halves. The first half of season 14 is in my opinion one of the worst half seasons in the shows entire run and easily the worst of the Jean era, while the second half is probably the best post classic era half season and easily the best of the Jean era, despite two duds.
    DVD Season Rankings - 7, 6, 4, 2, 3, 5, 8, 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mladen
    I see that "Dude/ranch" is a hated episode so,please,someone explain me why. I thought it was brilliant.
    It's one of the most cliche, boring episodes of the Jean era, feeling more like a Saturday morning cartoon than a Simpsons episode. Lisa's characterization is extremely shallow as she has a crush on the character voiced by Jonathan Taylor Thomas (it would be bad enough to have a guest star who was only popular among preteen girls, but JTT wasn't even popular anymore by 2003 anyway) and gets really jealous of a girl she thinks is his girlfriend. Surprise, it's not his girlfriend, and we get another lame water rescue ending that Al Jean is so obsessed with. Worst of all, the episode is not even funny in the slightest, except for the first act with the hating Flanders song.

All my humble opinion, of course.

Thread Information