http://www.simpsonslibrary.com

Junior Camper

i got them, but the new eps r always like200MB

the....silent...one!

Kazaa is really Good!!!

Late, but great?
    Signature.

Pin Pal

i appreciate the work you do, but for the love of christ, antialias your fucking graphics

I don't see a problem. And when you print out the pages, everything looks fine.

Pin Pal

But when you view them on the internet, which is what 95% of people do, the graphics are very jagged, meaning not smoothe.

Stonecutter

It sure is late, but sure is great!

Little Man being Erased Paranoid Android's Avatar

Hey Tommaco, you left out another tv moment: Homer does a parody of Herman Munster from the show Munsters. Trust me.

Great job as usual!
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

Yeah I know I left out The Munsters joke, but that's because of two reasons: 1) I ran out of room. 2) The arody was fairly obvious, so it wasn't so critical to mention.

Sensational job, Jonah! And thank you for using Jasper as the episode bio instead of Zelda. This leaves only three main caharcters I can think of for episode bios - Brandine Spuckler, Luann Van Houten, and Miss Hoover.

Nineteen-Ninety-Something
    A webcomic about my favorite decade
    and the characters who made it interesting

Little Man being Erased Paranoid Android's Avatar

That's a quote from Jasper in an older episode. Why did you use that one.

The actual guide doesn't always use quotes from that episode for the character bio. So, I took the same liberty.

And yeah, I've been waiting for an opportunity to use Ms Hoover, Lenny, Helen, Jasper, Luanne and Brandine for the bios.
    Last season, I got Helen and Lenny in. So far this season, I've got Jasper in. Somehow I think I won't get the chance to put Luanne or Hoover in, because they don't talk anymore.

Junior Camper

This is among your greatest work, Jonah. Keep it up!
    Ms. Krabappel: I believe that with persistent discipline, even the poorest student can end up becoming, oh, say, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

Homer: Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. What great men he would join. John Marshall, Charles Evans Hughes, Warren Burgher... Mmmmmmm... Burgher...

Blog Entries

I didn't like this episode. The first time I've seen a bad episode in season 13 so far. There were some very good refrences to movies, as well as funny parts, when Grampa shuts his door and plays old 50's music. Overall though I didn't really enjoy this one. D
    Quote Originally Posted by Treehouse of Spoopy View Post
    no homers dot net

The Magic 7

Was much better than I expected it to be. One of the best Season 13 episodes I've seen so far. 4/5
    Top 25 episodes:
    1. Treehouse Of Horror V
    2. Homer The Heretic
    3. Bart After Dark
    4. Homer Badman
    5. Homer's Enemy
    6. Cape Feare
    7. Rosebud
    8. Bart On The Road
    9. Bart's Friend Falls In Love
    10. Marge Be Not Proud
    11. Round Springfield
    12. My Fair Laddy
    13. Last Exit To Springfield
    14. The Joy Of Sect
    15. Hurracaine Neddy
    16. Simple Simpsons
    17. Lisa's Substitue
    18. Simpsoncalifragilisticexpialad'ohcious
    19. Mother Simpson
    20. Old Money
    21. In Marge We Trust
    22. Trilogy Of Error
    23. New Kid On The Block
    24. Hungry, Hungry Homer
    25. Brother From the Same Planet

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

I quite like this episode. It's not perfect,but it still has Vitti's typical humor and many funny jokes. The best gags are "Old man yelled at cloud", Grampa acting like he's dead, several old men going to bathroom although only one asked and Jasper's broken beard. The first two acts were brilliant, but something went wrong in the third one. The ending sucks IMO. 3/5
    Marmalade,I love marmalade...

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

not a bad episode, but is it really worth a 4 year bump?
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

The Old Man and the Key, when you think about it, has such potential to suck. Technically speaking, it's worse than even Viva Ned Flanders. There are severe lapses in characterisation, plus questionable animation and a highly derivative plot (a rip-off of Lady Bouvier's Lover with less depth), along with some some Scully-era silliness. For all of that though, the episode is enjoyable and almost a positive channeling of kitsch akin to Viva Ned Flanders or the Scorpions 'Rock You Like A Hurricane'. I say that because this episode obviously cannot overcome its own faults completely.

The first act starts off well, with the XFL gag being a classic, along with the line from Homer regretting that he never told Grampa that he was in love with him. Sadly, this buildup is wasted after Grampa meets Zelda. At this point, the characterisation veers off course, as Homer acts as a siphon of rage when interacting with Grampa. This doesn't strike me as normal; Homer usually treats Grampa with indifference, not overt anger. The parts where Grampa and Zelda meet also fail to engage.

The second act, after Grampa gets his licence, is actually quite good, except for the parts where Homer, Marge and Lisa appear. Homer seems to be ridiculously over-protective of both Grampa and his car, which just seems totally wrong. Marge, while being more in-character than Homer, also seems more nagging and dominant while usual. Except when Grampa is being a nuisance, Marge rarely tries to dominate his decision-making. Even Lisa seems to be somewhat vindictive in her dealings with Grampa, even though this is more justified. The scene at the drive-in had one laugh, as did the 'man yells at cloud scene', while the race between the seniors was funny, if random and Scully-esque. Indeed, the part where the Latino senior stands unfazed while burning alive seems very strange. It's almost something Scully would implement, although Scully would've made it even more zany and strange. I found Jasper's "I broke my beard" line to be funny, though.

The third act is more of a stuff-up, because of more sporadic humour. Luckily, Homer, Marge and Lisa don't get as much of a chance to ruin things more through poor characterisation. Although I liked the Bronson, Missouri gag, I did not think the celebrities at the show added anything to the episode. Plus, it would not be below Scully to add something like the Ernie Ford segment, which I didn't find funny, just very...random. I was however, satisified by the resolution, although not with Homer's cold response. Plus, I kind of laughed at the Beverly Hillbillies style ending.

I have spoken enough about this episode's negative technical aspects. Now for the positives: Olympia Dukais was OK, if not terrific as Zelda, while the characterisation of Bart was flawless. Grampa was fine too, I suppose.

I do enjoy this episode. So, while I cannot ignore the episode's technical sloppiness (or give it a high grade), I can view it as a mastery of kitsch, which I will do. Consider this episode to be the Season 13 equivalent of Viva Ned Flanders. C+

Pin Pal

3.5/5 rounded up to 4/5 it was a pretty good episode to come out of a pretty good season.

Stonecutter

hate it

it's an average episode for me. Some funny scenes but i didn't really like the story.

3/5

NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar

I usually don't care too much for Grandpa-centric episodes, but I really enjoyed this one. The whole "cosmic" aspect of Grandpa now filling the role of Homer's son was funny and clever for the most part, although it did begin to get overdone. Overall, the commentary on old age was well-written and interesting, and good jokes were plentiful. 4/5

Boring and went nowhere grampa wasn't great and it was nothing special.1.5/5

Junior Camper

There were two segments from this episode I enjoyed -the death race and the scene with Tennessee Ernie Ford. Otherwise I found this episode painful to watch -weak plot and dialogue, poor characterization and unfunny jokes. Olympia Dukakis was wasted (although she gave a good performance with what she had -the talent of a true actress) and Grandpa was just overly annoying. I'll give it a 1 because I enjoyed the deathrace scene and the Tennessee Ernie Ford scene greatly but I'm being generous

The Hammer is my penis Capt Hammer's Avatar

M.E.H! 2.5/5 rounded up.
    "Look, Marge, you don't know what it's like. I'm the one out there every day putting his ass on the line. And i'm not out of order! You're out of order. The whole freaking system is out of order. You want the truth? You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth! Because when you reach over and put your hand into a pile of goo, that was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do! Forget it, Marge. It's Chinatown!" - Homer's rant.

Just a bleh episode really. Seemed like it went on for longer than the half hour due to lack of jokes.

Not memorable at all and Zelda was a pretty dislikable character really.

2/5
    We got no food, we got no jobs, our PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!

It was fairly average. Nothing groundbreaking here, but some decent laughs in spots. 3/5
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well it has been over three weeks but Season 13 finally continues with a Grampa episode! Here he wants to drive again after falling for Zelda, a new resident at the Retirement Castle. Homer is against the idea but relents when Marge backs Grampa. Everything seems fine at first but Grampa wrecks the car when involved in a death race. Homer says he can no longer drive and Zelda dumps him to go to Branson with another man with wheels. Grampa and Bart steal Marge's car and go after her while the rest of the family goes after them.

With a few more recent season exceptions like Thursdays With Abie, which I don't really remember much about except it seeming boring, I usually like many of the Grampa episodes, this one included. His conflict with Homer is nicely done and I find it weird in a good way how responsibly Homer acts through much of the episode. I mean when you think about it he hardly has any jokey moments until the third act and has valid concerns over Grampa driving. The switcharoo moment with Grampa running up to his room as the troubled teen was probably my favorite moment in their little conflict. The Zelda character is one-note but it doesn't hurt the episode for me as she is basically just a plot device to let Abe have his story. We also get a nice little bonding moment of sorts with Grampa and Bart in the car listening to Itchy and Scratchy that I really enjoyed. It isn't funny per se but I find it sweet, especially the part with Bart acting out the fighting and biting with the song.

There are many solidly funny moments here. These range from probably the most well known moment of the episode which involves Abe yelling at the cloud to much smaller lines like his fear of the looming darkness. There's some great stuff in Branson including the song which I really liked. The brief trip to Bronson was also funny as was Homer's public only forgiveness of Grampa and the Beverly Hillbillies ending. There's also a nice cheat when Grampa crashes the car into one of the two trees Homer happens to have his hammock tied to and the shot of Homer's mouth at the end of act 2 is visually unique and effective.

The episode isn't perfect but I enjoy it much more than the common fan and do think it is slightly underrated or at least overlooked. It is definitely one of the better episodes of the season so far. I'll say 4.5/5, rounded up to a 5.

PS: Loved the Munsters reference and the callback to Marge's gambling.

Thread Information