71 35.86%
  • 5/5 Woo-hoo!

22 11.11%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How would you rate The Old Man and the Key

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Have to say I enjoyed this one quite a bit. There were numerous funny moments ("we'll get the next one", "cosmic") and the Branson thing at the end felt surprisingly non-tangenty. I actually thought the plot was interesting and relatively unique. It wasn't perfect or exactly anything special, but if the current show could keep up this kind of quality I'd be more than happy.

Fun episode.

B/B- (7/10), generous 4/5.

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

rewatch time.

it wasn't as good. a lot of this episode feels very, well, insignificant. the plot jumps from one point to another almost with impatience; i mean, one minute grandpa doesn't have a license, the next minute he does, with very little explanation. it also really lacks any good jokes apart from that cheesy old guy at the home (and the ones i mentioned before).

as a result it just feels very forgettable and not really worth watching. nothing exactly bad here though, just a lack of good per se.

C/C+ 3/5

Blog Entries

It was very good to me personally, apart from Zelda not having enough development. 5/5

Blog Entries

Forgettable, but decent for the season. 3/5

Don't remember much of this, except for its genuinely surprising ending.

3/5
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I just don't care about Grampa's romance. Zelda is a horribly flat character, and the musical is kind of annoying. Very boring episode. 3/10
    Last edited by Insanity Pepper; 11-26-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Geraldinemsim J.Goldberg

3/5 average. not impressed with it very much...

Banned
    Blog Entries

One of the best episodes of season 13. Grade: B+

Banned
    Blog Entries

Pretty good episode. Grandpa shined in this episode, just about everything Grandpa does and says is funny. The highlights aside from the Grandpa moments would be the ZZ top joke, the XLF bit, the Thats Familillar play which also had one of the better musical numbers of the post-classic-era, the Munsters parody and the Beverly Hibillies parody. Overall a soild and enteraining episode. Grade: B-

Blog Entries

what i liked:

"Do you have any idea what you put me through? I called the police, the hospital, my bookie, the kennel . . . okay, this isn't about who I called!"

"Mom, there's no gambling in Branson. It was designed as a family destination."
    "Oh, no, there's gambling. We just have to find it!"
    "Look mom, it's your car! Grampa and Bart must be in that theatre."
    "Bet you they're not! 3 to 1, how much you got?"
    "Mom, you're hurting me!"

-"There's Grampa!"
    "Munster?!"
    "No, Simpson!"

pretty much defines 'average.' 3/5

A fairly standard love story where Grampa for some unexplained reason can't see that Zelda only loves men for thier cars, even though it is pointed out to him a few times. There are a few jokes that redeem it a little but for the most part it's a victim of some poor characterizartion and bad writing, which is surprising as it is a Jon Vitti script 5/10
    "Trying is the first step to failure" - Homer Simpson
    Simpsons: Best Episode/Worst Episode Per Season
    1:Life On The Fast Lane/The Telltale Head2:One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Homer VS. Lisa and The 18th Commandment 3:Homer At The Bat/The Otto Show 4:Marge VS. The Monorail/Selma's Choice 5: Cape Feare/Homer and Apu 6:Who Shot Mr.Burns (Part 1)/Bart's Girlfriend 7:Homer The Smithers/ The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular 8: Homer VS. The EIghteenth Amendment/Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9: The Cartridge Family/All Singing, All Dancing 10:The Wizard of Evergreen Terrace/Homer Simpson in "Kidney Trouble" 11:Missionary: Impossible/It's A Mad Mad Mad Marge 12: Hungry, Hungry Homer/The Great Money Caper 13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/Brawl In The Family 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Break My Wife, Please 15: Simple Simpson/Bart Mangled Banner 16: Thank God It's Doomsday/On A Clear Day I Can't See My Sister 17: Girls Just Wanna Have Sums/Marge and Homer Turn A Couple Play 18: Marge Gamer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Dial 'N' for Nerder/Papa Don't Leech 20: Eeny Teeny Maya Moe/The Burns and The Bees 21: The Bob Next Door/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer The Father/Elementary School Musical 23: How I Wet Your Mother/Treehouse of Horror XXII 24: The Saga of Carl/Moonshine River 25:Brick Like Me/The Kid is Alright

Just chillin', dawg OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is a very underrated episode. Abraham is hilarious throughout (I refuse to say "Grampa") and while the ending feels a bit abrupt, but was entertaining all throughout.
    The only part I don't like is the car race, which feels a little silly, but otherwise, I have no real complaints. 8.5/10
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 05-14-2016 at 04:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

BrokenBox

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    (I refuse to say "Grampa")
    Why?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malfunctioning Eddie View Post
    Why?
    Because that would be just as stupid as calling Homer "Daddy" or Bart "Son". I prefer to just speak their names.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 05-14-2016 at 04:41 PM.

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Because that would be just as stupid as calling Homer "Daddy" or Bart "Son". I prefer to just speak their names.
    Yes, but many characters refer to him as "Grampa" or "Grampa Simpson". No character has ever called Homer "Daddy Homer".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Comicshow MolemanBob View Post
    Yes, but many characters refer to him as "Grampa" or "Grampa Simpson". No character has ever called Homer "Daddy Homer".
    You just proved my point. Why should he be the exception?
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 05-26-2020 at 06:59 AM.

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You just proved my point. Why should he be the exception?
    I'm asking why you would never call Abe Grampa. Many other characters call him that and your reasoning for not calling him it makes no sense. Of course you wouldn't call Homer "Daddy", no other character does, but Grampa is constantly called Grampa through the serious.

Why am I even arguing this?

Blog Entries

@Comicshow MolemanBob I just have never understood why it is that way. Homer calling his own dad "Grampa" is pretty stupid.

What a boring episode. Grandpa's romance is utterly uninteresting because of how bland Zelda is. This episode isn't funny either. It's just boring, lazy and pointless. 1/5

Quote Originally Posted by Snowpit View Post
    @Comicshow MolemanBob I just have never understood why it is that way. Homer calling his own dad "Grampa" is pretty stupid.
    Actually, at least where I'm from, the parents of kid's who call their grand father ''grandpa'' also use the word grandpa, especially when they are with their kids.

Am I the only one who found the "Ode to Branson" song similar to the "Simpsons Family Smile Time Variety Hour" theme song from "The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase?" They both have that 70s disco-esque variety show sound to them.

Maybe I'm too critical but I really get annoyed when they take ideas from classic episodes and end up making far weaker episodes.
    The idea of Abe falling in love was brilliantly done in Old Money. This episode feels almost like a parody of that beautiful episode.

Thread Information