View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Mansion Family

4 4.82%
  • Saddlesore Galactica

0 0%
  • Alone Again, Natura-Diddly

0 0%
  • Missionary: Impossible

7 8.43%
  • Pygmoelian

7 8.43%
  • Bart to the Future

0 0%
  • Days of Wine and D'oh'ses

9 10.84%
  • Kill the Alligator and Run

0 0%
  • Last Tap Dance in Springfield

8 9.64%
  • It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge

1 1.20%
  • Behind the Laughter

47 56.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Season Eleven Best Episode: Part Two (Behind the Laughter Wins)

"Behind the Laughter". Has the makings of a great idea - a "Behind the Music" (and other celebrity documentaries of its kind) parody as a prop for many inside/Meta jokes regarding the show's success and trademark. Some of the concepts tie well together (Homer getting addicted to pain medication as a result of his physical stunts for instance), and some of the self-referential stuff was nice to see (the jab at "Principal and the Pauper" for example). But as self-parody it's messy and inconsistent, with incorrect facts (Wiggum joining after the Sea Captain) or the addition of made-up crap as part of the show's history (Richie Rich being a part of the show). And as a "Behind the Music" parody it runs out of material half-way, with it degrading into a bunch of jokes with the narrator contradicting himself or worse not even mocking the source material effectively (Willie Nelson saves the family). Plus the "Simpsons" is hardly the only one who's parodied the show anyway.

6 Months Gone, Still Hated. Wasteland's Avatar

Not that many noteworthy episodes in this season. But I go with "Behind The Laughter"

THIS HAS BEEN A FILMWAYS PRESENTATION!

Out of this batch of episodes, I have only seen The Mansion Family and Behind The Laughter. I actually liked both of them, but Behind The Laughter is still far superior, so I voted for that.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

I'll go with Behind the Laughter. I don't like it as much as I used to but it still beats the rest of these episodes.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

It's rather obvious that Behind the Laughter shall win. I vote for it over Alone Again Natura Diddly, which comes in a close second.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Banned

The mansion Family by F-A-R

Not a pretty list at all, though there is one episode here I do enjoy quite a bit, Pygmoelian.

I could have done without the balloon subplot and Homer seemed needlessly involved with Moe's plot in the climax, but otherwise there was some pretty good humor going on throughout the show. I liked the moments at the fair, and the preparations for the surgery were quite funny as well. The story wasn't too bad either, and I liked how Moe was used (not his best episode by a long shot, but good). This is a breath of fresh air in a sea of forgettable affairs.

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

This part of season 11 is really weird. It has 3 excellent episodes,and 3 terrible episodes.

I voted for "Days of Wine and D'oh'ses". My other favorites here are "Pygmoelian","Behind the laughter","Last tap dance" and "The Mansion family".
    Marmalade,I love marmalade...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hot Homer Simpson
    It's probably the only episode you've seen from this season then, if you think it's the best.

Behind The Laughter A-

Mmm.....

....the first batch was difficult. This is probably the hardest to decide....because this poll is basically a list of a lot of my least favorite episodes. Heh...don't worry, I won't be this emo for the other seasons..

I must make note once more...Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge I think should be destroyed. I mean it, I think the film that its stored on over at Fox Studio's should be literally destroyed. By fire, acid, use it as potty paper for dogs...whatever as long as its destroyed. I've watched this episode twice now...first time was well, the first time and only time I've ever felt uncomfortable watching an episode of this series. I hated every character in this episode, Wiggum the least because he had the ability to send them all to jail. In fact, Wiggum's one single prominent scene in this episode is the *only* highlight. Good old Wiggum...but not even he could even remotely save this episode. And I even hated him for the most part too.

I watched this a second time about a month ago, and I vowed I will never watch this episode ever again. This is the only time I will ever be this emo-centric over an episode.

Now that I have that out of my system...

Although these are a lot of my least favorite episodes...I can at least give credit to some things.

Missionary: Impossible was kind of fun...it was a pretty okay satire on the nature of little religions like this. You see...I had a family member who was really drawn into this obscure little belief, and while I will never pass judgement this little religion was so obviously BS and just out for her money that it was sort of painful to watch. Eventually she got smart and realized it for what it was...but I can understand the satire behind this episode kind of well. As an episode its well...as okay as you can get for Season 11.

Pygmoelian is wacky and over the top, but if you can get over that its actually a pretty decent episode for Moe...one of my favorite characters. Not exactly the way I would of handled the subject of his opinion on his looks...but eh..

Last Tap Dance in Springfield is actually pretty decent in my opinion. Most bash it for the ending with Frink's shoes, which is sort of a bit too Disney for me too. But it was a decent Lisa episode, and the little mall sub plot with Bart and Milhouse was just pure shallow fun. First time I watched it I actually cracked up quite a bit at Ralph being the only boy in the dancing class. That awkward look he has did it...but in general it was pretty fair.

Alone Again, Natura-Diddly.. I will admit one single thing, I'm one of the rare minority that thought the *idea* behind killing off Maude Flanders was good. Its bold, and it offers the Flanders character a very interesting wrench in the gears. The very idea gives Ned a great opportunity to show his more human side by showing his better qualities despite the overwhelming punishment he's had to endure. The way they did it in this episode wouldn't of been my first choice though, and the aftermath was well...a little light. All and all I don't hate it was much as many do.

Bart to the Future. Okay, we had a little debate over this in a thread not too long ago. Its a very hated episode but I still stand that it wasn't *that* bad. Its not one of my favorites by far, and still below the radar a bit...but the fact it takes place in the future lessens a lot of the blow since to me, all the future episodes are even more random than the regular ones since they're all predictions. The idea behind this episode, Bart's low point in his life, is an interesting one. The episode was generally very subtle with the future stuff which was kind of nice, and it has my favorite depiction of Ralph in the future so far(at least what little we get anyways). But in the end, this episode just went crazy. I think the problem with it is that it lacked focus. Obviously the point of the episode was Bart trying to face the fact he's gotta straighten up in life, but I think that just got lost in all the stuff this episode was trying to do...ending in the fact there was no real conclusive conclusion or point to any of it. I think the sub plot with Lisa being president should of been made a foot note to allow Bart's story the whole episode to develop. That wouldn't fix the whole episode but it would be a start...

Behind the Laughter is fun, but its not one of my favorites. Its an ingenius parody though I have to admit, and there's a ton of tongue in cheek stuff for die hard fans of the series.

I'll vote for...Behind the Laughter too. It actually managed to do what it set out to do.

My biggest problem with Season 11 is that there were so many good ideas and premises...that were just utterly destroyed or lost by the actual way the episodes rolled out. Homer stealing the spotlight, empty scenes, 10 sub plots at once syndrome, no conclusions...just a very tragic season.
    Last edited by Kiyosuki; 08-06-2006 at 01:26 AM.

Stonecutter

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyosuki
    I must make note once more...Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge I think should be destroyed. I mean it, I think the film that its stored on over at Fox Studio's should be literally destroyed. By fire, acid, use it as potty paper for dogs...whatever as long as its destroyed.
    Would that also mean destroying every single storyboard sheet, layout drawing, and painted cel from the episode?

Quote Originally Posted by Binky
    Would that also mean destroying every single storyboard sheet, layout drawing, and painted cel from the episode?
    Yes.

I would start an international secret society dedicated to individually pin pointing the location of every single downloaded file of this episode too so we could delete it off the face of the web.

I would so pull a coup on this episode if I had the power.

No not really ,but I truly do I hate the episode this much.

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

^ It'd do that to BTL if I had the choice, but meh! Anyway, Pygmoelian, Last Tap Dance in Springfield and Days of Wine and D'ohses are about equal quality to me. Pygmoelian is good, especially its first and second act but I didnt really find that stuff about Moe being an actor interesting in the slightest. Last tap dance was strong in both its plots but some jarring moments such as the ending let it down and Days of Wine is a good all-rounder but brought on the horror of Sober Barney. I'll still go with Days of Wine, though, as its plot was the strongest and tied in well with the sub. B+

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

Oh my god, The Mansion Family has two votes. If that gets into a final, society will crumble.

Tough choice for me between last tap dance and Behind the laughter. However, since I couldn't decide in the end, I thought I would be different and vote Last Tap Dance. I mean come on people. This episode may not be great, but it's better than some of the other Scully shit in this season, and yet Mansion Family, Pygmoelian, Day of the Whine and D'ohses are doing better. I mean, atleast Tap Dance is well plotted and somewhat funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

Pygmolian's is good but nothing special; it's still by far the best of this bunch. Behind the Laughter had a decent premise and was pretty funny but judging by this poll it's hugely overrated.

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

Days of Wine and D'oh'ses. It's a fantastic episode, I wish people would stop blaming it for the demise of Barney. It's the writers' fault, they could have left Barney as a drunk without any problems, but no, they had to preserve continuity (for the first time ever).

Pygmoelian and Behind the Laughter are the only two other good episodes. This is definitely the worst Season of the Scully years.
    Last edited by Disgruntled Goat; 08-06-2006 at 04:40 AM.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

I'm getting behind Behind the Laughter. I don't think it's a particularly brilliant episode all the way through (Willie Nelson reunites the family? Riiiiight...) but it has enough to make me laugh. I don't like to complain about season 11 too much but it seems the staff concentrated all their energy on Behind the Laughter, leaving barely anything for the rest of the season.

Maybe it's time to live.... Cerpin Taxt's Avatar

Behind the Laughter. Not great, but I remember liking it a lot when I first saw it.
    Quote Originally Posted by grissom
    I refuse to vote on the basis that apparently Nickelodeons viewers have the worst taste in films ever.

Stonecutter

Quote Originally Posted by simplysimpsons
    ^ It'd do that to BTL if I had the choice, but meh! Anyway, Pygmoelian, Last Tap Dance in Springfield and Days of Wine and D'ohses are about equal quality to me. Pygmoelian is good, especially its first and second act but I didnt really find that stuff about Moe being an actor interesting in the slightest. Last tap dance was strong in both its plots but some jarring moments such as the ending let it down and Days of Wine is a good all-rounder but brought on the horror of Sober Barney. I'll still go with Days of Wine, though, as its plot was the strongest and tied in well with the sub. B+
    Yeah, I pretty much agree with this, except I found Pygmoelian to be better. What a horrible bunch of episodes though.

That Veronica Vaughn..... Ryan_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RHHS
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan
    It's probably the only episode you've seen from this season then, if you think it's the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan
    Out of this batch of episodes, I have only seen The Mansion Family and Behind The Laughter.
    What's that saying about the pot and the kettle?

Anyways, i'm going with Behind The Laughter. It's just plain better than the majority of those other choices, only one or two are that good.

Giving it to "Last Tap Dance in Springfield" for being an all-around fun and funny episode despite some flaws. BTL is the only other episode I considered, but it doesn't look like it needs much help.

This is the really sucky half of the season. Horrible, horrible batch of episodes. Behind The Laughter gets my vote, because it's something different and doesn't have an awful story/awful writing.

Banned

behind the laughter. DUH!!!!!

Lucky The Leprechaun

Easy choice here. Behind the Laughter by far the best episode in this bunch.

Stonecutter

It may have had horrible implications, but Days of Wine and D'oh'ses is a very good stand-out episode of Season 11.

Definitely "Last Tap Dance." I could quote it for several times its running length, but I'll settle for "That's a smile, not an upside-down frown!" and "Eew, she ruined the Plastic Ono Band!"

"Behind the Laughter" is dominating? Meh. The squabbling, decadent celebrity Simpsons were far too unlikeable for me to care about their abrupt reunion.
    Simpsons music unavailable on CD:

Burns Verkaufen... - The Land of Chocolate (no overlapping dialogue) - 0.9 MB
    Lisa's Sax - Baker Street - 0.9 MB
    Trash of the Titans - The Garbageman Can (including U2 cameo) - 1.8 MB
    Springfield Up - Satan You're My Lady - 1.4 MB
    That '90s Show - Margerine - 1 MB

Junior Camper

Behind the Laughter, one of the most underrated episodes of all time. If it hadn't been a Scully-era episode, I think it would get a lot more respect. How it made the SNPP's list of the 50 worst episodes of all time boggles my mind.

Behind the Laughter is a very good episode. It does run out of steam towards the end and the parodies aren't always great, but it has some of the funniest moments of the season, and is the best of a pretty mediocre bunch

Thread Information