View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beyond Blunderdome

0 0%
  • Brother's Little Helper

1 1.20%
  • Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner?

28 33.73%
  • Treehouse of Horror X

6 7.23%
  • E-I-E-I-(ANNOYED GRUNT)

15 18.07%
  • Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder

1 1.20%
  • Eight Misbehavin'

1 1.20%
  • Take My Wife, Sleaze

0 0%
  • Grift of the Magi

22 26.51%
  • Little Big Mom

3 3.61%
  • Faith Off

6 7.23%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Season Eleven Best Episode: Part One (Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Wins)

"Grift of the Magi", likely the worst episode I'll vote for in this whole series. It's still probably the funniest and most intelligent episode in this batch however, with Fat Tony and the play for Burns sticking out the most, as well as an interesting, fairly relevant (if still very Scullyish) concept of the school becoming a corporate research/marketing tool.

I'm going to give my vote to "Guess Who's Coming To Criticise Dinner?". I actually thought it was good compared to a lot of the other stuff I've seen from this season.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

6 Months Gone, Still Hated. Wasteland's Avatar

"Faith Off", because it contains one of my favorite Simpsons quotes:

Homer: I see the light, and it BURNS!!"

THIS HAS BEEN A FILMWAYS PRESENTATION!

I'll go with the least dire episode in this terrible bunch - Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder. Take out the suicide scene, and it's a fairly respectable episode. Of course, the unfortunate fact is that the suicide scene is still in there, and it does seem fairly gratuitous in this particular episode. The idea that someone could reach an apex of their life and begin to feel worthless is believable, as is the idea that someone can be affected by 15 minutes of fame so much (Australian Big Brother). Despite that, it's not handled well and it's not believable.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

I'm torn between Little Big Mom and Brother's Little Helper (neither of which are perfect or get much love around here), but I eventually went with the former.

It has it's share of problems, like Homer and Bart's behavior getting grating by the middle of the second act, and the third act veering way off course, but I laugh harder at this episode than almost any other this season. I just feel there are alot of really funny moments to be found in this episode, like Homer skiing down the mountain (as simple-minded as it was), Virtual Doctor, Moe on the phone, and the sole Itchy and Scratchy appearance of the year. It's flawed in places, but I have to admit that it entertains me more than any other episode on this list.

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

Very hard for me to decide between "Take my wife,sleaze" and "Guess who's coming"...

I'll vote for "Guess who's coming...",because it had more classic jokes.
    Marmalade,I love marmalade...

Hmmm... I don't know. E-I-E-I-(ANNOYED GRUNT) I guess.

Ahhhh, season 11...

...Season 11.......

I'm a lenient person, I love the whole series no matter what direction it takes or whatever I personally prefer. But Season 11...is very different. The series is still recovering from this season, and maybe it never will.

Still...there are *some* decent episodes this season, far outweighed by episodes I wouldn't really care to see too often but they're just okay enough I suppose to not wish they never existed.

The Treehouse was decent, Grift of the Magi was actually pretty cool and had a genuinly funny climax sequence with the kids and Homer working together. It was a breath of fresh air this season...and the satire was genuinly smart with the toy company taking advantage of the school. Sure a little over the top, but it got the point across.

Brother's Little Helper I have sort of a love/hate relationship with. On one hand the pacing is really ,really weird...by far this season's second greatest problem behind the characterization (and the use of Homer particularly!), but on the other hand the end sequence was strangely fun. The sudden appearance of the cameo at the end was well...eh. But at least ADD is a bit better than the Simpson gene.

Eh....I'll go with Grift of the Magi. I actually genuinly like the episode. I kind of wish it came at a better season.

Guess Who's Coming..., Beyond Blunderome and THOHX are probably the best here, all B+'s. However, the latter two don't have a chance and they're probably slightly inferior anyway.

Banned

eight misbehavin' Even though i didnt like the story in it. the joke in it were great as

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

Guess who's coming to critisize dinner. Despite another Homer-gets-a-job story, I thought the humour hit most of the time and it didnt have that season-11 feel to it so much, as all those other episodes did - B

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

For me Faith Off is the only good episode. All the rest are below average.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

Guess who's voting for Guess Who's Coming To Criticize Dinner? Very quotable, very funny, very silly, spot-on Homer characterisation, though it gets a little too silly for my liking towards the end. For all its flaws, it's a very funny episode, as is Take My Wife, Sleaze, which I would have voted for, had I not voted for the former.

Maybe it's time to live.... Cerpin Taxt's Avatar

"Grift of the Magi," but really, everything sucks about this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by grissom
    I refuse to vote on the basis that apparently Nickelodeons viewers have the worst taste in films ever.

That Veronica Vaughn..... Ryan_'s Avatar

Grift of the Magi for me. I really liked this one. Second choice was "E-I-E-I-D'oh" .. as much as wacky episodes usually shit me, that one was ridiculously amusing.

"Grift of the Magi" ranks among my favorites from Season 10 on. Although few others on this board like them, I'm also partial to "Brother's Little Helper" and "Little Big Mom." This was another season where merely not focusing on Homer boosts an episode a full letter grade for me.

Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? is actually a pretty good episode. One of the biggest standouts in the whole season.

EIEI D'oh is my favorite, closely followed by Guess Who's coming to criticize dinner. A few other solid episodes here too.
    Dyslexia, Duffman's secret shame!

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

For the first time, I don't love any of these. E-I-E-ID'oh is at least pretty amusing and fun, if mainly for the opening movie scenes, Homer situation with the colonel, and the tomacco plot. Though there's still some shit gags like Homer trying to commit suicide, there were at least a handful of varied, fast-paced, subtle, and clever gags (Chuck's Seed and Feed, Lenny and Carl's poor social skills, the end credits of the Zorro film, etc).

Sadly even the better episodes here have some serious flaws: Grift of the Magi had its sledgehammer approach ("Like Microsoft? Exactly!"), Faith Off had a poor directionless ending, and Take Wy Wife Sleaze had some moments of jerkass Homer and NRBQ-whoring.

Lucky The Leprechaun

E-I-E-I-(ANNOYED GRUNT) got my vote. I enjoy watching this, even if it isn't of the highest quality.

Stonecutter

E-I-E-I-(ANNOYED GRUNT) - A really good episode, even if it is still kinda Scully-ish. I just feel this time the wacky Scully jokes work. And from a positive characterization view, I think Marge was in fantastic character if I remember correctly.

Edit: Looks like E-I-E-I-(ANNOYED GRUNT) is catching up!

Stonecutter

Guess Who's Coming To Criticize Dinner

It's between Grift of the Magi and E-I-E-I-D'oh, and neither of them is really even all that great. Went with the former for reasons Surfer went over, and since it's generally smarter than the latter, which was admittedly another tired "Captain Wacky gets a job" episode.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

Now witness the failure! StarskyMaxwell's Avatar

Guess Who's Coming To Criticize Dinner, hands down.

Junior Camper

It was a tough choice between Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner and E-I-E-I-D'oh, but for me, any episode with a fat Mr. Burns complaining that his shin bones collapsed again, and Ann Landers (or was it Dear Abby?) advising someone to free her or let her die, is going to get the edge.

Gah-HOY'geh'flavin! Number 10767's Avatar

Grift of the Magi, my favorite season 11 episode, which isn't saying much.
    Ooh, they have the Internet on computers now!

Guess Who's Coming To Criticize Dinner and Grift of the Magi are the only two anywhere near decent here.

Ultimately went for the latter.
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C- Woo-hoo Dunnit? ​B Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion ​C+

Grift of the Magi, it is a solid episode with some pretty good ideas. The biggest problem with the better episodes of this season is that they seem to have a few too many rewrites, taking away the narrative focus which would improve them

In my opinion, Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner, E-I-E-I-D'oh, and Gift of the Magi were the only episode that are somewhat enjoyable. I went with Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner.
    that makes me stupid, and you a whore

Thread Information