View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson

14 18.67%
  • The Principal and the Pauper

0 0%
  • Lisa's Sax

26 34.67%
  • Treehouse of Horror VIII

1 1.33%
  • The Cartridge Family

24 32.00%
  • Bart Star

1 1.33%
  • The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons

2 2.67%
  • Lisa the Skeptic

1 1.33%
  • Realty Bites

1 1.33%
  • Miracle on Evergreen Terrace

1 1.33%
  • All Singing, All Dancing

0 0%
  • Bart Carny

0 0%
  • The Joy of Sect

4 5.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Season Nine Best Episode: Part One (Lisa's Sax Wins)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Season Nine Best Episode: Part One (Lisa's Sax Wins)

"Lisa's Sax" wins. Maybe not the best of the flashbacks, it has that 3G episode tendency to push the story aside for (often extended) uneven gag sequences and tangents, and its story isn't quite as involving as some of the earlier flashbacks. That said, there's still a lot to love, a lot of great sign-of-the-times humor as well as a very Simpsony premise of Bart and Lisa's own gifts and success being decided by institutions.

Gah-HOY'geh'flavin! Number 10767's Avatar

Yeah, Lisa's Sax wins here for me too.
    Ooh, they have the Internet on computers now!

Ah the beggining of the so called Scully era.

There's some greats here though, but this isn't going to be the word fest the past two seasons have been for me. I'm going with Lisa's Sax too.

Although City of New York and The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons (had to copy and paste that one) are pretty nice episodes in their own right. But the story of how Lisa got her sax was very idyllic and almost a bit surreal. I enjoyed it a lot.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I'm going to break the streak and vote The Cartridge Family, but it's awfully close between this and the high quality of Lisa's Sax. Homer's antics with a gun never fail to amuse me.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Cartridge Family for me also. Although lots of things are missing from season 9 episodes, humour is certainly not lacking in this one.

Cartridge Family. Very funny episode.

new york, new york ..

The Cartridge Family

Mostly because of the humor...the story is quite good too. I'll never forget that soccer game...awesome!

I could've also chosen:

The Principal and the Pauper
    Lisa's Sax
    Treehouse of Horror VIII
    Lisa the Skeptic
    Miracle on Evergreen Terrace
    The Joy of Sect

Fairly even throughout.

Stonecutter

Lisa's Sax, though The Cartridge Family came very close.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

I'm not as keen on Lisa's Sax as many are. Don't get me wrong, it's a good episode but there's something missing from it for me.
    On the other hand, I just love The City of New York Vs Homer Simpson, The Cartridge Family, Bart Star, and The Two Mrs Nahasapeemapetilons.

I think I will plump for....The Cartridge Family. Perhaps my liking of this episode was bolstered by it being banned from British TV for years and thus not getting to see it until much later than most people here, but it's an all-round lovely episodes, the storyline and the characterisations are well-crafted and it's probably one of the last true greats.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Funniest season ever for me. All of the following episodes are of A range quality

The City of New York v Homer Simpson
    Lisa's Sax
    The Cartridge Family
    Miracle on Evergreen Terrace
    The Joy of Sect

I had the joy of viewing this season on the weekend on Fox8, and enjoyed it moreso than any previous viewing. It really was a superb time to be a fan, especially in the first half. Season 9 has probably come up a few notches in my season ranking but I'll wait a while for the novelty to wear off. Despite that, The Cartridge Family gets my vote - an awesome episode.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

lisa's sax > the cartridge family > THOHVIII > realty bites > the two mrs nahasapeemapetilions > miracle on evergreen terrace > lisa the skeptic > the principal and the pauper > bart star > bart carny > all singing all dancing > the city of new york vs. homer simpson > the joy of sect

the list loses most of any grasp on quality it had after the first three or so episodes, though.
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C- Woo-hoo Dunnit? ​B Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion ​C+

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

The Cartridge Family. No contest for me, it's my all time favourite episode. To be honest, there aren't that many great episodes in this half of the Season. Lisa's Sax, Treehouse of Horror VIII, Lisa the Skeptic, and The Joy of Sect are the only other ones I really like; the others all exhibit some Scully-esque problem.

That Veronica Vaughn..... Ryan_'s Avatar

The City of NY vs Homer Simpson JUST beats Lisa's Sax.

Lucky The Leprechaun

Lisa's Sax. It just beat out The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson, probably only because hte musical montage of Lisa playing her sax gets me every time I see the episode.

There are 3 really great episodes here that easily the 3 best of the season: Lisa's Sax, City Of New York Vs. Homer Simpson, and The Cartridge Family. My vote goes to TCF over the other 2, it's one of my all time favorite episodes.

Wow, I never knew there was so much love for The Cartridge Family around here.

I went with Lisa's Sax. Bart and Lisa's plots and dilemmas work well together but are both balanced nicely with feeling and humor. The air conditioner dilemma also gets introduced late in the episode without slowing down the action or feeling like a distraction, and in the end plays into the situation well. I also thought the humor was great, the emotion towards Bart and Lisa feel genuine, and the plot is sweet. Alot of these flashback episodes are great, but this one could possibly be my favorite.

gimme a break dad Sloppy Jimbo XOX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bovine_university
    if all of scully's episodes were as sharp, focused, funny and well plotted as the cartridge family we wouldnt need a classic era. we'd already be there

still, i voted for lisa's sax
    signature

This is the better half of the season. And it's not just because of the holdovers, the The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson is better than Lisa the Simpson and Lisa's Sax was better than Simpson Tide, showing that even the worst holdovers aired later in the season. This list also included some of Scully's better episodes including The Cartridge Family and Two Mrs Nahasapeemapetilons. But I will go with The City of New York vs Homer Simpson. I just never really stopped laughing and the musical parody was brilliant

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

I voted the joy of sect, because I love how it focusses on Springfield being brainwashed by a cult posing as a "religion," plus I liked the argument between Willie and Lovejoy, and Flanders so pissed off, he gave the movementarians a beer that's mainly head
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

See You Space Cowboy.....

Lisa's Sax wins it for me. The storyline worked and as a flashback episode it was well told. Lisa and Bart's backstories come across as having real emotional content and not forced. The comedy also worked and wasn't overly wacky.

Season 9 skids down pretty badly vs. earlier seasons imo but there are still some good episodes here in the 1st half of the season and Lisa's Sax is a real gem and earned the lable I've seen attached to it on the net as the last 'classic' episode.
    S1.3 LIS+++ BOB++ BAR++ BUR+
    f+++ Ips $+++ 7F19, 2F15, 3F22, 3F02, 3F07 M1981

"The strength of the show is the characters - that's the strength of any good show. Since they've gotten more mainstream, they keep wanting to go for the easy laughs, the stupid jokes. I think it's the wrong move, and an insult to the intelligence of the audience." - Yeardley Smith

Purple Monkey Dishwasher Where's Poochie?'s Avatar

This might not makes any sense, but I'll vote for Lisa's Sax, even though my favorite is The Cartrige Family, because I Lisa's Sax is better.
    There's a different between what's your favorite and what you think is the best.
    "I'm a drive, I'm a winner. Things are going to change I can feel it."

Gah-HOY'geh'flavin! Number 10767's Avatar

Wow, this is quite a polarized poll.

Blog Entries

I'll stand alone for The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons (I may have misspelled that, but I couldn't be bothered to check). Most of the early season 9 episodes are actually pretty good (at least when compared to seasons 10 and beyond), and I was definitely tempted to go with the Cartridge Family. For some reason though, the nursing home scenes in TTMN just worked really well for me. I guess because I had to spend a lot of time at a nursing home when that episode was new.

I chose Realty Bites, narrowly beating Bart Star, because both the A and B stories are great. Even when it gets absurd it's stil hilarious - example - Kurt Van Houten's arm getting chopped off. It's also Phil H's last episode isn't it?

P.S. When i found out the meaning of the Bart Star title it made it more interesting.

Blog Entries

No, Phil's last episode was, "Bart the Mother" in season 10.

oh, Lionel Hutz's last then?

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

Quote Originally Posted by bovine_university
    Heh, me too actually, I thought I'd be the only one voting for it.

I didn't realise there was so much love for Homer vs. NYC... I've never found that episode particularly funny. Homer's car getting completely destroyed was pretty pointless. Apart from Homer's recollection of why he hates NY at the beginning of the episode, there's nothing memorable about it, IMO.

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Cartridge Family or the much maligned Lisa the Skeptic. I'll give it to the latter since it gets no love.

Homer vs. NYC should die!
    Favorite Episodes (by Season): Season 1: Krusty Gets Busted, Call of the Simpsons
    Season 2: Blood Feud, Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, Bart the Daredevil
    Season 3: Radio Bart, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Bart the Murderer
    Season 4: Homer the Heretic, Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Front
    Season 5: Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song
    Season 6: Bart's Girlfriend, Bart of Darkness, Homie the Clown
    Season 7: Summer of 4ft 2, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart Sells His Soul
    Season 8: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, The Springfield Files, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
    Season 9: Girly Edition, The Cartridge Family, Lisa the Skeptic
    Season 10: They Saved Lisa's Brain, Lisa Gets an A, Simpsons Bible Stories
    Season 11: Grift of the Magi, Brother's Little Helper, Beyond Blunderdome
    Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer, The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Trilogy of Error
    Season 13: The Bart Wants What It Wants, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, Sweets and Sour Marge
    Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, The Bart of War, Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington
    Season 15: Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Tis the Fifteenth Season, The Wandering Juvie
    Season 16: Thank God It's Doomsday, The Heartbroke Kid, Fat Man and Little Boy
    Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Marge's Son Poisoning, Bart Has Two Mommies
    Season 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple, 24 Minutes, Little Big Girl
    Season 19: The Debarted, Midnight Towboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
    Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone, Take My Life Please, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words

"The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson." It's one of my all-time favorites.

At the time, I thought the two religious episodes, the one with the Movementarians and the one with the angel fossil, were the only two good episodes of the season. Now, looking over the list, I see many episodes I remember as being quite good.

An imitation of Homer's long groan of relief and pleasure when he made it into the bathroom of the World Trade Center has become one of our family's running gags.

Thread Information