Thread: Janey and the twins

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

No Pretense

Janey and the twins

The Simpsons is coming closer to a close and yet they haven't even tried to use this characters in an interesting way.

They're background characters, I don't think they were ever supposed to be that important.

Well regardless the secondaries have come a long way.

But I think some characters have more that can be done with them than others. Like Otto I personally think is pretty much what he is, there's not much material for humor or drama to use. Sort of the same with the twins.

To be fair though, I think everyone has at least one character they wish would be used more often...or be given at least one episode.

One thing I can say about Janey is I sort of wish her and Lisa were shown together a bit more often, I miss Lisa having a quiet social life...but things change.

gimme a break dad Sloppy Jimbo XOX's Avatar

haha i seriously read the title as "janet and the twins"

about the actual topic... eh, who cares. like grissom said, theyre background characters. the series has done fine without them and using them in more substantial roles now would feel like the writers are just pandering to the old school fans (like with the appearances of dave shutton and mary baley a few seasons back)
    signature

No Pretense

Everyone seems to believe the show has run out of good ideas. Why not at least try and write an episode or two to delevop these characters beyond the background?

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

I wouldn't mind the show bringing a couple of background characters to the forefront, especially some of the more underdeveloped kids. The writers did it with Kirk in season 8.

Quote Originally Posted by caramelbart
    Everyone seems to believe the show has run out of good ideas. Why not at least try and write an episode or two to delevop these characters beyond the background?
    I made a whole thread dedicated to that idea some weeks ago.

Thing is, is while I agree that the show definitely isn't out of idea, and I'd very much love some characters to be used, and hey maybe explored in certain ways it looks like Jean is trying to stay as far from that as possible at the moment. You never know...next season could have some surprises. I think in his mind, the way to fix the problems from the Scully era was to "fix" a lot of the more permanent things like sober Barney, and Edna/Seymour (you know if he could he'd bring Maude back somehow), almost like he's trying to bring it back to some sort of "standard". But in doing this I think he's really watered down every character, its a major ongoing gripe of mine with his more recent seasons. But hey, what can you do.

But I'm still not sure the twins and Janey in particular have much that could be done, enough to warrant an episode at least although I do wish they'd be used in general more often like a lot of other secondaries that were sort of left on the way side, like Lewis. There's a lot of unused material with many characters, for a character who appears so often I'm pretty surprised Wiggum's barely been forefronted the entire series for example.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scully
    I wouldn't mind the show bringing a couple of background characters to the forefront, especially some of the more underdeveloped kids. The writers did it with Kirk in season 8.
    Yeah, but what they did with Kirk was almost an exceptional circumstance. They wouldn't be able to get close to what they did with Kirk with characters like this trio.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

No Pretense

I have a Janey plot idea. How about an episode where Janey sleeps over The Simpsons' house, where she begins to have feelings for Bart? They can write that Janey's mother doesn't approve (voiced by Robin Quivers), Homer also has some hidden racial issues from his childhood up-bringing with Abe.
    Last edited by caramelbart; 06-26-2006 at 06:59 PM.

Stonecutter

They're like the barflies, not important.

Even kids like Nelson and the bullies, and even Martin have been reduced to filler material.
    "I shouldn't have eaten that packet of powdered gravy I found in the parking lot..."

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie
    They're like the barflies, not important.

Even kids like Nelson and the bullies, and even Martin have been reduced to filler material.
    Nelson I think is one of the most forefront secondaries on the show, especially considering he got his very own episode only a season ago.

Martin on the other hand I agree with. Its too bad really, I think Martin has a ton of comedic potential when he's used right. I wish they'd use him more often with Bart and Milhouse, they're really funny as a trio the few times they're used like that. And I've always had a dark little desire to have at least one episode where he buckles under the beating and the pressure. XD

Edit:

Last edited by Kiyosuki; 06-26-2006 at 07:45 PM.

Blog Entries

I like Janey because she is a background character. I wouldn't mind the writers giving her a few more lines here and there, but to base an entire episode around her is a bad idea. Why? Because she's simply not that interesting or special in any way. She literally exists just so that Lisa occasionally has someone to talk to. I think she's mostly there as a foil for Lisa; Janey is a "normal girl," contrasted to Lisa's extraordinariness. She's simply ordinary and thus uninteresting. If a character isn't interesting, why base an episode around her?

^ yep

No Pretense

Quote Originally Posted by caramelbart
    I have a Janey plot idea. How about an episode where Janey sleeps over The Simpsons' house, where she begins to have feelings for Bart? They can write that Janey's mother doesn't approve (voiced by Robin Quivers), Homer also has some hidden racial issues from his childhood up-bringing with Abe.
    Well does everyone think of this above as a plot for a future episode?

Thread Information