View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marge vs. the Monorail

13 17.11%
  • Selma's Choice

3 3.95%
  • Brother From the Same Planet

1 1.32%
  • I Love Lisa

5 6.58%
  • Duffless

23 30.26%
  • Last Exit to Springfield

25 32.89%
  • So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show

1 1.32%
  • The Front

1 1.32%
  • Whacking Day

3 3.95%
  • Marge in Chains

0 0%
  • Krusty Gets Kancelled

1 1.32%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Season Four Best Episode: Part Two (Last Exit to Springfield Wins)

http://www.snpp.com/episodeguide/season4.html

"Duffless" for me, another one of those seems to have it all episodes. Though my biggest interest is in seeing just how well the previous champion "Last Exit to Springfield" will fare in this and the coming rounds.

Ohhh, here we go. This is the real toughie.

I really don't even know where to begin, its like choosing 1 plate from 8 dishes made from the greatest chefs in the world.

The almighty Last Exit to Springfield is probably going to be this poll's juggernaut, with Marge vs. the Monorail going very strong as well, but this poll has a high amount of my favorite episodes personally so its not quite so easy for me.

Speaking of those two, I think they're both fantastic episodes...although I do think Monorail is a bit overrated personally. It has many of the same qualities people tend to accuse as weaknesses of later episodes, namely an over the top plotline. I think the fact Conan O Brien scripted this also goes to help this episode's popularity. But in the end its pacing was just fantastic, it felt like a mini movie which was a very big feat considering the time each episode has. Last Exit is one of the most "human" episodes in the series and it has a lot of extremely funny moments, many of which are some of the series' more famous scenes (The dentist and Ralph, Dental Plan/Lisa Needs Braces, Burns' "secret" room and the thrashing of a lifetime. lol Its very funny stuff.).

Duffless was pretty alright, it was a great moment for Homer. Marge in Chains was pretty nice too. Brother from the Same planet was an awsome Homer/Bart episode, Krusty gets Cancelled was a lot of fun itself, and the Front and Whacking Day are great semi "serious" episodes. I Love Lisa I think is, and will always be the quessesential portrayal of Ralph no matter what direction they take the character in later seasons. This season's clip show was also surprisingly good I thought.

*sigh*, its a very tough choice. I think though, at this point its impossible for me to hide the fact that Ralph is one of my favorite characters to you guys so you know I have to go with I Love Lisa, but its not just for that too. I think in terms of pacing, and cleanly putting together a story and wrapping it up nicely its one of the best episodes in the series. Everything tied together so well in the end, and every character felt just great. Did a fantastic job of fleshing out both Wiggum and Ralph, and it was also a great episode for Lisa because it showed in very plain sight that Lisa was only human like the rest. I remember Lisa started to give something of a Mary Sue vibe to a lot of people around that time, and it was very important to put her in a great situation where she's actually wrong or not quite as tolerant as we had thought. She makes up for it in the end of course, but something that really stuck with me from this episode is that its the first one I remember where I truly felt like Lisa was in the wrong for the first time. I think it gave her character an enormous amount of dimension.

As for Ralph himself, as said...and I don't think anyone else will disagree, this is Ralph at his best. This is the episode that for many, made him the cult figure that he is today...or at least jump started it. That mixture of innocence, well meaning and generally positive character unfortunatly hindered by social awkwardness (triggered by whatever you think it is, autism...dimentia, anything really.) I think just hit a chorde with people. For me personally, I associated with Ralph in this particular episode tremendously as a kid...maybe its part of the reason why I've always found him kind of interesting. The fluke that he had great performing (or maybe artistic in general) talent I think made so much sense with the character that it wasn't even funny, he was one of the most real feeling and convincing kid characters I think I've ever seen in this episode. I think the fact they dumbed him down into a stereotype later on is one of the best examples of what generally happened to the show later...taking away that 3 dimensional human charm. But whatever happens with him, in my mind at least this episode is always going to be the "real" Ralph Wiggum. Its one of the best uses of a secondary character in the series' history I think too.

That...combined with the fantastic quality of the overall episode and how well its plot was put together and properly wrapped up makes it one of my all time favorites by far. This choice was still pretty tough, but I can't deny that this is one of my personal favorites.

Duffless and Krusty gets Cancelled are my runner ups.

LETS see...

Duffless. While I will valiantly defend LETS everytime someone says it is not excellent, Duffless is a tad better than it in almost every department. It probably has the best characterisation of Homer apart from Homer The Heretic. Homer's struggle with alcoholism and trying to keep his promise to Marge is an excellent character study. In terms of humour it has too many classic moments to list and in fact every moment of the subplot of Bart vs. Lisa is also pure gold. Together with probably the one of most endearing endings this show has ever seen, it is a classic among classics.

But these are an still excellent bunch of episodes. Everything upto LETS is probably the best streak of episodes ever. Slight dip in quality after LETS, but I won't be disappointed if any of these episodes win.
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

"Duffless", "Monorail" or "Last Exit" are my main choices, but it's really difficult to choose out of any of these.

I will go with "Duffless", though.
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C- Woo-hoo Dunnit? ​B Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion ​C+

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

LETS should win. It's so unflinching and fast-paced with so many great moments, it's a rush when you really sit down and watch it.
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

Marge vs. the Monorail 10/10
    Selma's Choice 8/10
    Brother From the Same Planet 9/10
    I Love Lisa 10/10
    Duffless 10/10
    Last exit to Springfield 10/10
    So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 9/10
    The Front 10/10
    Whacking Day 10/10
    Marge in Chains 8/10
    Krusty Gets Kancelled 10/10

All great episode,but I'll go with LETS,my 3rd favorite episode. "The Front" and "Duffless" are really close,though.

Oh wow, Duffless is winning so far.

Stonecutter

Marge vs. The Monorail

has his moments Disgruntled Goat's Avatar
    Between Pier 1 and that Pier 1 by Pier 17

I've always loved LETS, it gets my vote.

Marge vs. the Monorail and Duffless both come close though.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Last Exit To Springfield = Funniest episode, ever.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

Last Exit To Springfield. Pure perfection.

Stonecutter

Even to this day I still don't understand the obsession with LETS. I'll try and re-watch it shortly. It's very good (A-/B+) but hardly the best ever IMO. Any Marge vs. the Monorail is hilarious and has a memorable and fantastic plot, meaning it gets my vote.

Junior Camper

I really don't see what's so good about Last Exit to Springfield. Sure it's good but I don't understand the iconic status it receives.
    Personally I thought Selma's Choice was the best episode of Season 4 . It was jam-packed with laughs from start to finish.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

It may not be the most satirical episode ever, it may be silly and unrealistic, but God damn it, I ain't gonna find a more consistently entertaining episode than Marge VS. The Monorail.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Duffless just wins out of Last Exit to Springield. Both are near perfect episodes, if not perfect. Both feature great humour, both feature brilliantly resolved storylines, both feature excellent characterisations of not only Homer but the family (Duffless) and Burns (LETS), both feature fantastic and memorable gags and scenes. At that comparison, they're both totally and utterly of the same standing as one another, however the final scene in Duffless wins it out for me. That "Raindrops" scene was the most touching scene the Simpsons have done yet, and it was done in a totally unemotional context. Both are 100/100 episodes, but as I said, Duffless gets it from me.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Pretty, pretty, pretty good. California Prunes's Avatar

I'm gonna go for "Duffless" here, just edging out the undeniably brilliant "Last Exit To Springfield" and also the vastly underrated and under-appreciated "Selma's Choice."
    DVD Season Rankings - 7, 6, 4, 2, 3, 5, 8, 1

Lucky The Leprechaun

I said ast Exit To Springfield, but Duffless and Marge Vs. The Monorail are very close, although nothing is really that far behind, these are all brilliant episodes.

Marge vs. the Monorail - 7.5/10
    Selma's Choice - 8/10
    Brother from the Same Planet - 7.5/10
    I Love Lisa - 8.5/10
    Duffless - 8.5/10
    Last Exit to Springfield - 9.5/10
    So it's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show - 7/10
    The Front - 7.5/10
    Whacking Day - 8/10
    Marge in Chains - 7.5/10
    Krusty Gets Kancelled - 7.5/10

That Veronica Vaughn..... Ryan_'s Avatar

Last Exit To Springfield for sure. My all-time favourite episode, its just the perfect Simpsons episode! The second half of Season 4 is very strong, but no other episode will ever top LETS in my mind.

Where are the results of the previous season polls?

I voted LETS.

Now with More Testicles. do what donny dont does's Avatar

I am the one person to vote for Brother From the Same Planet

Duffless, easily. Definitely a top ten episode. LETS is worthy of A+, but I could never find it 100/100 A+. Duffless, in my opinion, is the funniest of the first four seasons without a doubt. The plot and subplot run together flawlessly, and the episode ends with a great Homer moment: choosing his wife over his first beer in a month, leading into a perfect emotional feel-good ending. Easily my favorite of Season 4.

Come on England! The lesson is never try's Avatar

i was going to vote LETS, then took a look at the episodes, and remembered how hilarious duffless was, so that gets my vote, though the first half of season 4 had the best episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperciph
    LETS see...
    He got there first, I'm not commenting now.

By the way were you saying that because I said it here?

LETS, I don't feel like trying to explain any new reason to why it is so funny and great, so I won't, but I feel that it is the best episode ever

Gah-HOY'geh'flavin! Number 10767's Avatar

Wow. This might be the toughest poll until season 11 (when the difficulty will be in finding a half-decent episode to pick). Marge vs. the Monorail, Duffless, and Last Exit to Springfield would all probably make my top 10, if not my top 5, and I Love Lisa would be close behind. I voted for Marge vs. the Monorail though, because I've seen it so many times and yet always enjoy it so much.
    Ooh, they have the Internet on computers now!

Once again, this is a hard choice since like I said before Season 4 is my favorite season and there are so many great episodes. However, I'm going to go with "I Love Lisa." While it may not be the best, it has always been one of my favorite episodes.
    that makes me stupid, and you a whore

Thaht should dew it!

duffless.............

always been a favourite of mine, possibly my all time favourite episode

too many classic moments to mention as someone said before.....

but geez what a great season
    "Duffman can't breathe! OHH..NOO..!!!"

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

The problem I have with LETS is Homer's over the top characterisation which drags the episode down, but it's still a very good episode. As for Monorail, I find it far too zany to be a classic episode. Both Duffless and I Love Lisa are, though: The former for its very serious, sweet and down to earth take on Homer and Marge's marriage and the latter for its excellent characterisation of Ralph and its story. I think I'll go with Duffless as there's so many moments I can pick out in this episode that I liked.

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

Where's the money shot? Reverend Lovejoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla
    I really don't see what's so good about Last Exit to Springfield. Sure it's good but I don't understand the iconic status it receives.
    My God, I'm agreeing with Zilla.

I voted for Whacking Day, BTW.

Thanks to CousinMerl for this great sig!

Thread Information