• 2/5

4 3.36%
  • 1/5

2 1.68%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: Like Father, Like Clown

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

For the greater good SIR oinks alot's Avatar

not knee slappingly oh shit i spit out my soda funny, but a charming character developement for krusty.

5/5
    “On my deathbed, my final wish is to have my ex-wives rush to my side so I can use my dying breath to tell them both to go to hell one last time.”

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    If a criticism can be leveled against Seasons 2-3 (and that's a pretty fucking huge if right there), it's that sometimes the plot gets in the way of the humor/emotion. Now, a developed plot is always a great thing, and there are definitely humor and emotion in this episode, but the problem is the plot is just takes so long to develop there isn't much time for jokes. Granted, what's there is good, and the plot itself is fantastic, but for me there isn't enough humor there for me to count it among the classic greats.

That being said, the Rabbi is a good character, and the fact that they made Krusty Jewish was an important character development for him. I don't dislike the episode at all, I just think it gets bogged down (Lisa searches-Bart talks to rabbi can seem interminable at times). 12/15
    This sums up my thoughts quite well. I disliked the episode a bit more, though, and it's my least favorite of season 3. The main problem here is that, despite it is meant to be an emotional episode developing Krusty as a character, I find a joke-driven show like Krusty Gets Kancelled way more relatable than this one. Yes, the Rabbi is a great (not only good) character, and we find out some relevant stuff about Krusty, but it doesn't get me in the emotional side either. Has its moments, anyway. 7.5/10

Honestly, I love this one. I always love episodes where we learn something new about a character (as long as it doesn't jump the shark, of course).
    Last edited by tristar; 12-21-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Like Father, Like Clown (4/5):

This episode isn't bad at all but it's missing something that other episodes at the beginning of Season 3 had (I'm talking about episodes such as Homer Defined, Bart The Murderer and When Flanders Failed). I can't quite grasp what that something is but there is indeed something that's missing.

I remember really liking this episode the first time I watched it because you learn a lot more about Krusty the clown (the fact that he's jewish and that his father had never approved of him becoming a clown etc.). But in my opinion the more you watch this episode the more you can see it has small faults (very minor ones). I find that the scenes between Bart and Rabi (where Bart is trying to convince Rabi to forgive his son) are maybe a little bit too long. This probably could have been avoided if the writers had made the dinner sequence at the simpsons a little longer (either adding jokes with Homer and Milhouse or either going into more detail about Krusty's childhood).

But this still remains an episode I really enjoy a huge amount! And it's worth seeing many many times (over a long period of time of course).

Banned

Some people are idiots. This episode may not be the best of the best but it is none the less great on its own. Great in depth analysis of Krusty's past and his personal turmoil, a look at the Jewish way of life - albeit satirical - some religious argument, some funny moments such as "I didn't mean that literally", "This is not as hot a party as I'd anticipated" and "this is hardly the time or the place" as the Rabbi is doing a circumsicion Beats anything the show has done in the past 10 years easily. 5/5 or 9/10
    Last edited by Bleedin' Gums Murphy; 11-20-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Blog Entries

Maybe the weakest episode of the season 3, sometimes boring, the story is excellent though. 3/5

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

B-, not that great, can really drag at points and pretty low on humour. 3/5

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blobulle View Post
    Maybe the weakest episode of the season 3, sometimes boring, the story is excellent though. 3/5
    Mate you must hate me because I keep questioning you but why do you rate Stealing First Base as your all time #1 Simpsons episode? (Assuming you have seen the show pre season 10)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Gums Murphy View Post
    Mate you must hate me because I keep questioning you but why do you rate Stealing First Base as your all time #1 Simpsons episode? (Assuming you have seen the show pre season 10)
    I've seen every episodes of the Simpsons.
    Regarding Stealing First Base I absolutely have to do a complete review about it.
    And don't worry, I'm used to be questioned about my opinion of this episode.

Every Zionist TV show has a "Lovely-Jewish" episode, this is a common custom. But these episodes are always boring because they don't fit the nature of the show and are produced just because of this "obligatory custom", for keeping/registering their producers in that secret "No Homers" club.
    I can't give any higher score for this episode.

1/5

Obvious Racist Troll is obvious...

...and racist.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Bartesque

^ Me racist? Excuse me, did I mention name of any race? Don't troll with me boy...

:yawn:

Have a good sleep my friend...

Can't find any redeeming qualities in this episode

not a fan.

although the running title was fantastic:

Krusty The Jew

This is an episode about a fucking clown. I didn't laugh once.

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some people on here wouldn't know a good episode if it smashed them around the face and told them directly "I'm a good episode"

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: hutz

Quote Originally Posted by Comicshow MolemanBob View Post
    Some people on here wouldn't know a good episode if it smashed them around the face and told them directly "I'm a good episode"
    Tell me why this episode is entertaining good sir

Banned
    inside of your skeleton, slowly feeding away at your insides,
    Blog Entries

Good episode.

6/5

After reading review after review of negativity, let's set the record straight. This is a good episode. It's not outstanding, but it's pretty solid.

Jackie Mason makes this episode so much better with his presence and unique voice.

The scene at the bus terminal with Krusty using a coin-op television is one of the saddest scenes I've ever watched on the show. You really feel for him.

Best Quotes:

Ms. Pennycandy: ..something really important came up at the last minute-
    (cut to Krusty scrubbing shower)
    Krusty: Lousy mildew.

Homer: Ohhhh, we could have seen a monkey.

Marge: Who wants to say Grace?
    Lisa: Why don't we let our guest do it.
    Milhouse: Bless us oh Lord- (slap) Hey!
    Bart: Krusty, will you do the honours?

Man: Rabbi, should I buy a Chrysler?
    Rabbi: Could you rephrase that as an ethical question?
    Man: Um, is it right to buy a Chrysler?
    Rabbi: Yes, for great is the car with power steering and dynaflow suspension.

Man: Oh, come on Hyman, you're exaggerating again, you're so proud of your son.
    Rabbi: A Rabbi would never exaggerate! A rabbi composes, he creates thoughts, he tells stories that may never have happened, but he does not exaggerate.

Lisa: The man who envies our family is a man who needs help.

Bart: Reverend Lovejoy, we need you to help us find a rabbi.
    Rev. Lovejoy: Well, before you make any rash decisions, let me just remind you that the Church is changing to meet the needs of todays young Christians.
    Lisa: No no, we're not converting, we just want to find a Rabbi Krustofski.

Bart: We came to talk to you about your son.
    Rabbi: I HAVE NO SON! (slams door)
    Bart: Oh great, we came all this way and it's the wrong guy.
    Rabbi: I didn't mean that literally. (slams door)

Rabbi: I want a nice sandwich, but the Joey Bishop, too fattening, the Jackie Mason, I don't know, sauerkraut makes me gassy, the Bruce Willis, I don't even like his work.
    What is Krusty the Clown?
    Waitress: That's ham, sausage and bacon with a smidge of mayo.
    Rabbi: What!
    Waitress: On white bread.

Highlights include Krusty knocking out Sideshow Mel, Bart's letter (Get Bent), SEX CHAT (are there any women here?), Homer's shock at there being Jewish entertainers (Mel Brooks is Jewish!), the rabbi strangling Krusty, the bathroom incident (close the Door!), Krusty looking through the photo albums, Itchy and Scratchy (Field of Screams), Gabbin' Aboud God, Izzy's Deli, Barney's hanky, and the sweet ending.
    Last edited by hutz; 09-05-2012 at 02:16 PM.

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Insecthero

"kids are scared of clowns and adults think you're dumb, so what the hell good are they?"

-Mike Reiss

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: hutz

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Stanton View Post
    Tell me why this episode is entertaining good sir
    Let me say that this episode isn't a favorite of mine. It's probably not even in my top five of the season but it IS a good episode. It seems you're a big fan of "Bart Carny" which is why you probably won't enjoy this one much. The humors are hugely different while "Like Father, Like Clown" has humor lying in it's plot, little jokes through dialogue and an overall sweet story. I mean it's not the most hilarious episode out there but it is not "laughless" or "contains no redeeming qualities"

Quote Originally Posted by al and mike View Post
    Rabbi: I want a nice sandwich, but the Joey Bishop, too fattening, the Jackie Mason, I don't know, sauerkraut makes me gassy, the Bruce Willis, I don't even like his work.
    What is Krusty the Clown?
    Waitress: That's ham, sausage and bacon with a smidge of mayo.
    Rabbi: What!
    Waitress: On white bread.
    That one blew right by me when I was a kid, but cracks me the heck up now. Great list!

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: hutz

i really hate the argument that, "oh you like a gag filled episode, that's why you don't like this one." you can like both you know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    i really hate the argument that, "oh you like a gag filled episode, that's why you don't like this one." you can like both you know.
    Obviously but most people either like one over the other...

Junior Camper

Even during the first few years of the show, I somehow managed to see this episode so many times that I could probably recite most of it off by heart.

5/5 -it had all the hallmarks of a great Simpsons episode. Hilarious while yet deeply moving, solid plot, great characterization, great dialogue, engaging and many great moments. To me it just really represents the best of everything that was great about the classic era of this show.

Banned
    Blog Entries

An great episode that provides some good insight into Krustys life. Really underrated. Grade:A

3/5

One of the weaker Season 3 episodes

Thread Information