4 3.33%
  • 1/5

2 1.67%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rate & Review: Like Father, Like Clown

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

This is such an underrated episode. A quite beautiful story about Krusty and his estranged father, with whom he badly wants to reconcile, but can't because his father wants nothing to do with him. Jackie Mason also gives an outstanding performance. 8/10

7/10. Not one of my fave episodes but it's always nice to get more insight on Simpsons characters and this episode focused a lot on krustys estranged relationship with his father. Not much laughs other than the scene with Kristy at the Simpsons place

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Krusty episodes are always good Then again so is every other episode. Still, this was the first one to actually focus on Krusty I believe (Krusty gets Busted is more abourt Bart). Krustys facial expressions when he's trying so hard not to cry this had potential to make me cry at the end but they couldn't really pull that off at this point.

"A man who envies our family is a man who needs help" -Lisa

Underrated Line in a great episode.
    Favorite/Least Favorite episodes by season Season 1:Bart the Genius/ There's No Disgrace Like Home Season 2:Bart Gets an F/The War of the Simpsons[/COLOR] Season 3: Saturdays of Thunder/When Flanders Failed Season 4: A Streetcar Named Marge/Whacking Day Season 5: Homer's Barbershop Quartet/Lady Bouvier's Lover Season 6: Who Shot Mr. Burns?(part 1)/Another Simpsons Clip Show Season 7: Team Homer/Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in "The Curse of the Flying Helfish" Season 8: Homer's Enemy/The Simpsons Spinoff Showcase Season 9: King of the Hill/The Principal and the Pauper Season 10: Bart the Mother/They Saved Lisa's Brain Season 11: Behind the Laughter/Eight Misbehavin' Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer/Pokey Mom Season 13: I am Furious(Yellow) /Homer the Moe Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can/Helter Shelter Season 15: 'Tis The Fifteenth Season/The President Wore Pearls Season 16: A Star is Torn/Treehouse of Horror XV Season 17: Marge's Song Poisoning/The Italian Bob Season 18: Marge Gamer/Moe 'N' A Lisa Season 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Papa Don't Leech Season 20: No Loan Again, Naturally/In The Name Of The Grandfather Season 21: O Brother, Where Bart Thou?/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed Season 22: 500 Keys/The Fool Monty Season 23: Politically Inept With Homer Simpson/The Man in the Blue Flannel Pants Season 24: Gorgeous Grampa/Homer Goes to Prep School Season 25: Steal This Episode/Days of Future Future Season 26:

Junior Camper

Not an episode that jumps out as being particularly memorable. In fact, if you think about it critically, several parts just fall apart. The general premise is really thin. Krusty misses his Dad - Bart and Lisa track Rabbi Krustofski down - convince him to reunite with his son - END. Am I the only one who thinks there was some wasted potential here?

First off, I don't have a problem with episodes having a thin premise, most of season 4 does, but those episodes are so comically perfect the jokes almost always more than make up for it. This episode has a few good gags but that's it.
    "I HAVE NO SON!"
    "Great, we came all this way and it's the wrong guy."
    "I DIDN'T MEAN THAT LITERALLY!"

Secondly, there are several leaps the characters take which I find hard to be believable. I really enjoy the first act. The Bart and Krusty stuff is great, as is Krusty's assistant (why did they stop using that character?). A mention of Mel Brooks causes Krusty to reminisce about his father and fall into a state of depression, encouraging Bart and Lisa to go out and find him. The episodes taking a few leaps and liberties her for me, but I'm still along for the ride.

It's Rabbi Krustofski I have the real issues with. He's so adamantly against the idea of accepting his son that I don't buy it when Bart and Lisa convince him he's wrong. My problem is quite simple really: I don't find the quote Bart uses on him particularly inspiring or profound, and I find it very hard to buy that a Rabbi would believe it was from an actual Jewish scholar, considering how inelegantly it was structured. Then the ending feels rushed. Rabbi Krustofski has reformed his views on clowns so quickly he's able to throw a pie in Krusty's face?! This should've been a slowburn. The reunion should've happened earlier and the episode should've focused on Krusty and his father repairing their relationship. If I was Krusty, I would've held some resentment, but none of these avenues are explored. On the plus side, Bart and Lisa team ups are always fun and what's here is sweet. Everyone's in character. I was just underwhelmed. Sorry.

7/10

ah yes the episode where we see what Krusty is really like. In the first two seasons he was rather happy-go-lucky but here we see his real emotions, and his backstory and his reunion with his father was really sweet.
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

Thread Information