View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
351. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+

18 5.13%
  • A

9 2.56%
  • A-

14 3.99%
  • B+

17 4.84%
  • B

15 4.27%
  • B-

14 3.99%
  • C+

21 5.98%
  • C

24 6.84%
  • C-

21 5.98%
  • D+

34 9.69%
  • D

32 9.12%
  • D-

27 7.69%
  • F

105 29.91%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review: Kill the Alligator and Run

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Quote Originally Posted by The Governor View Post
    Hi, Jen! Long time no read.
    Yep...ten years is a long time indeed. I didn't have internet access from 2003-2007. I don't know why I didn't come back sooner. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    Hey, Jen's back! Welcome back, Jen.
    What have you been up to?
    Hey! Living in New Orleans, been back here since 2009. Writing professionally, about to teach an animation class at my ten year old son Thor's school. Drinking gallons of coffee, getting tattoos and piercings. You know, the life of a crazy lady.

Blog Entries

Sounds like a life!

Animation class at a school for ten year olds? Where was that when I was 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    Sounds like a life!

Animation class at a school for ten year olds? Where was that when I was 10?
    :-)
    A class that is hastily formed when the art teacher finds out that a woman hiding out as a mom has some hidden skills.

Okay, maybe I'm crazy, but I'm currently rewatching Season 11 and this is by far the best episode of the season I've seen yet, with Little Big Mom.

First I love the pace, frenetic but it never felt forced like some other craps in the HD era (or in The Mansion Family or even in Little Big Mom this season, the Hawaï plot was pretty pointless). Homer has a depression, so the family moves to Florida where Homer gets fun. He kills an aligator so the family has to run away and escape to a restaurant where they can live in a trailer. But the police find them and they have to do forced labor. Okay, maybe there are little holes and shortcuts in the plot (Why ALL the family is involved at the begining ? Who told the police where the Simpsons were ? How did Captain Jack arrive at the party ?) but that's due to cut scenes and I wasn't bother by these holes, knowing before that the episode was cut. Overall I quite like the plot even if it's a little unrealistic, it's still more realistic than king size Homer trapped in a nuclear engine IMO. (Don't get me wrong, I loved King Size Homer, I'm just trying to take some critically acclaimed episode in comparison to this one considered "worst episode ever").

The directing, then. Jen Kamerman, don't know if you will read this some day but I actually loved what you did, especially the Spring Breaks scenes and some visual gags such as Homer tied up in the bed or the family's car getting hit by another train, I just went laugh out loud for the last one. The changing of the settings for the trailer and the party at the end were both visually great.

The characters. Didn't see any Jerkass Homer here... This is clearly a randomly thrown default that some can find in this episode because it's a recurring default in the Scully era. But actually he doesn't harm or hurt anyone (bar Captain Jack, poor Captain !), he is a bit annoying with Kid Rock but he was drunk, I mean, that's not what I call "jerkass". And in the rest of the episode he's pretty hilarous, especially in Act 1 and 3. He could have reacted like a sh*tass when Marge bawled out him when the car is broken (like in The Simpsons Movie) but he didn't. He says Drunken hicks of the jury with scorn but... yes, they WERE drunken hicks, so... And I had no problem with Marge, Bart or Lisa. I loved Velma and I actually liked the Sheriff. He wasn't a "pointless guess cameo" as I can see here, he had a characterization, he had at least 4 or 5 scenes, he didn't portrayed his own person IRL... I don't see the problem. Ah, and of course, Captain Jack is excellent. It's just an alligator, you'll say ? Yes but the writers often manage to... fail writing an animal in the series (look at Furious D in Saddlesore Galatica, dat horse acted like a human, it was cringeworthy). Well anyway you can't hate Captain Jack !

The jokes. They were all pretty good. Loved the scene where Homer, tied-up in the bed is trying to reach the beach. Loved the running-gag "I liked that !", actually this moment was hilarous. But above all, none of the jokes were unbearable. Don't understand the hate for the fart joke, someone who plays with letters to create other words is a gag that exists since Series 1 ! It's basically everytime we see the pannel of the church of Springfield and it's 60% of the chalkboard gags. And the "Frat / Fart" joke, although it was not hilarous, wasn't an insult as was "Rest in Pee" in Alone Again Natura Diddly, for instance. The "Guess how many boobs I saw ?" wasn't that bad, it's a bit cheesy and a brainless joke but hey, it's not disgusting. The "boobs on the window of the car" joke was funny. I don't really like the Kid Rock moment cause I didn't get any reference, fortunately that scene was short enough. Homer is a bit annoying there as I said but he's still funny. I loved the train joke, the many "handcuffs" jokes, and I actually think that the "Florida? But that's America's wang!" is a classic joke, sorry for those who live in Florida but that joke really impacted me when I was a child and I still think it's funny. Some little visual jokes like the "Spring Break 4-ever !" made me smile as well. There wasn't any incest joke (the Bart and Lisa's marriage was a spoof) or jokes that could have suited in a Treehouse of Horror (like in Bart to the Future or other craps this season and before). Overall yeah, the episode was hilarous for the most part.

So that's it. I'd rank it 8/10, a B+ or A- depending on how I want to defend this episode. I could see the fun the team had, writing and editing this, and this fun is really contagious. Guilty pleasure I assume but I really think it's one of the highlights of this poor season. Didn't see Last Tap Dance in Springfield and Behind the Laugher, that I remember were both good, but yes, Kill the Alligator and Run is the best yet.

"Why so much hate ?"

Junior Camper simpsonscollector1998's Avatar

a+ great jokes in this one
    Simpsons collector cince 2007 and i like it!

Three Words:

NOT THAT BAD

5/10

Meh 3/5

Banned

anyone who thinks this inst the best of s11 is insane

D- Some funny puns, but overall, a weak episode.

Junior Camper

I liked this one. Especially Homer's obsession with Starship's "We Built This City"

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't get why this is so hated.

Sure, it's a crazy plot that keeps going different placing but that makes it pretty interesting, Homer gives everyone quizzes, does one and finds out he's gonna die soon, goes crazy, goes to Florida to rest, it's spring break, hilarity ensues, it's over, kills a gator, gets in trouble with law and run way, works at a diner, gets arrested anyway, tries to escape, gator was alive, set free.

Just reading that is entertaining this is really funny 10/10

You're being watched OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Okay episode. In retrospect, the writing is terrible in that nothing makes sense at all. For example, what's the deal with the weird alligator plot? I mean (quoting Jims here), THE ALLIGATOR WAS ALIVE THE ENTIRE TIME! Not to mention the plot structure is weird and it's not evident until the third act what the episode is about. On the other hand, it's surprisingly funny at times and it's not as boring as Saddlesore Galactica at least.

6/10, I guess???
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rehpotsirhc View Post

Sure, it's a crazy plot that keeps going different placing but that makes it pretty interesting, Homer gives everyone quizzes, does one and finds out he's gonna die soon, goes crazy, goes to Florida to rest, it's spring break, hilarity ensues, it's over, kills a gator, gets in trouble with law and run way, works at a diner, gets arrested anyway, tries to escape, gator was alive, set free.

Blog Entries

Still feel like that isn't a review and more me explaining the episode so here's an actual one.

+Joke about Maude being dead
    +Homer partying is really entertaining to watch. Not really "hahah' funny, just pleasant.
    +No idea who that midget was, but funny Homer mistaking him for a lost child
    +That act break when they were hit by the train
    +"I like that."

Episodes that goes randomly everywhere also feels longer and I really like that as well.

Ha, I gave this one a B- back in the day. It would probably get a low C, high D now. Guess I'm becoming a real asshole in my old age.

Honestly? I think it's a pretty funny episode in hindsight. When the episode first premiered, I was terrified by what the show was becoming, but now it stands out so sharply as weird and awful that I'm at least somewhat entertained by it. And truly, it is an awful episode. Horrendous pacing, forced jokes, lame cameos (BAWITDABABADANGADANGAOOCHAKALALABANANA) and a totally half-assed ending (these were becoming increasingly commonplace). I get why it has so many F's. Swartzwelder must have been on the good stuff.

But hey, a decade down the line, we would enter the po-faced period of the neverending Al Jean years where nothing ever happens. The Scully years completely annihilated everything I loved about my favorite television family, taking an enormous shit on established characterizations, but there were some decent lines (No listening. You hear me?) and braindead physical humor to be had even when it was utterly horrible as a whole. You take the (tiny bit of) good with the (whole lot of) bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehpotsirhc View Post

I do find it hilarious, especially with the 'I like that' lady. But other than that, this episode has nothing redeeming to it. I also think there are worse episodes from Season 11. The plot line....well there is no plot line really. The characterization is really off too - "I'm a mother, and a mother can't die, see?" seriously? And the alligator being alive the entire time was also a lazy and terrible way to end it.

I'd give it a 4.5/10 because the humour is quite good, in my opinion.

Blog Entries

I actually think it was very creative. Not the alligator ending, but the plot in general.

You're being watched OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The worst episode of season 11 is Saddlesore Galactica, since it's too boring to be truly hilarious. Kill The Alligator And Run is close, but at least feels a little more creative in its plot.

I'm going to have to put Bart to the Future as the worst episode of Season 11. There's a complete lack of storyline and no originality to it. The whole episode is really just a bore, it doesn't add anything to character and the whole thing just depresses me with Bart being a complete loser and teaming up with Ralph. Just my opinion tho
    Last edited by AngusCastle; 03-28-2016 at 04:53 AM.

Blog Entries

This is not even season 11's worst plot. I mean, Apu selling his freaking octuplets to a zoo is far more dumber imo, and this episode's plot atleast makes sense before they run away after the alligator was killed, "Hello Gutter Hello Fadder" doesn't make at any moment any sense whatsoever.
    Last edited by Telso; 03-28-2016 at 07:42 AM.

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tyler

I think the alligator being alive the entire time was the only reason this episode became so hated. I reckon if the ending was done differently (and a little bit more thoroughly written), this episode wouldn't be classed as one of the worst Simpsons episodes ever. And to be frank, I wasn't even that annoyed by the alligator's survival

Recycling to the extreme Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But like Jims said in his video, they could've done something to show the alligator was alive instead of just revealing it like that. It's like they just forgot about it and shoved it in at the last minute without any thought. Homer's a real jerk in this episode as well. I think it's the worst episode of season 11.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

Blog Entries

But, like, the alligator aside, what's so bad about the plot? I mean there's no "structure" as you'd call it, it's just a random series of events that keeps changing, but what's wrong with it exactly? I think it's pretty enjoyable to watch.
    Last edited by Grifty McGrift; 03-28-2016 at 06:16 AM.

Blog Entries

i think this episode is kinda exciting in how frenzied and loose it is honestly but i don't disagree with people who have major issues with it because it has basically no interest in it's own story, as actual major plot points (or what should be them) get plopped down like casual asides and most of the attention is set on homer being a fuckwit for another twenty two minutes.

honestly though i think people only hate this episode to such a degree because of where it falls in the series rather than its general quality. not sayin' it's good, only that there's plenty of other scully and TONS of jean episodes that suffer from the same terrible pacing, unlikeable characterizations and stupid stupid plots that even the writers are clearly not interested in. oh, and terrible shoehorned guest stars like kid rock. this episode is basically a Bad Simpsons Ep checklist so i get it, but it's probably not even the first of this nature either. i think it has to do with how people viewed the series, how they made it only so far as it began declining, and its logical to assume an episode like this which feels so antithetical to what made the show great would be the last straw.

even so, if this is your least favorite simps, i have to assume you haven't watched anything in the HD era or hell even s14-19 because there's alot of fuckin' competition.

and in defense of this episode (kinda sorta, a bit) @Dundee makes a solid point regarding the relative absurdity of this plot. okay so ktaar probably has a more ridiculous plot than eight misbehavin but i would say ktaar pretty much starts with it's feet firmly planted outside of reality, or just floating aimlessly in general. eight misbehavin is a far worse episode because it sets goals that regard characterization and stories that should stay a bit more on the ground, ktaar does no such thing and makes no inference that it isnt outright insane.

THIS REALLY, is why the scully era is better than the jean era, it knew more often what it was and didnt overreach it's abilities most of the time, but boiled down to this example, i find it hard to see ktaar as a substantial failure, hell even an episode like kidney trouble or make room for lisa (fuck u make room for lisa) is substantially worse because it's also a baffling attention-deficit addled collage of idiocy vignettes but tacked onto conceits that demanded actual sentiment or story or something, whereas ktaar is more your outright gagfest and should be judged strictly on it's humor and not it's story. don't judge an episode based on the goals it didn't seek. whether or not the episode was funny to you of course is subjective and ill leave it at that, but if you judge this as the worst, not only do i assume you haven't seen enough of the show in full, i definitely assume you're demanding more than the show was willing to offer at times. nobody shakes their fist at homie the clown because its insane because its really goddamn funny (and yes humor is subjective but i wouldnt trust someone who didnt find that ep hilarious), but if ktaar is the same TYPE of episode the worst sin it can commit is being not all that funny, which is hardly the worst thing this show has ever done. it's not even close to the worst scully era ep even.

Blog Entries

- KTAAR belongs nowhere near a bottom 10 list on the basis that it actually has a few good jokes
    - The Jean vacation eps are just as bad, if not worse than KTAAR/Safari
    - Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder has a less coherent plot than this episode did
    - The alligator was alive the entire time!

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nicky

Blog Entries

It's disjointed, sure. But it's a hell of a lot of fun and I think people take it too seriously when it was never ever meant to be.

There's not much of a plot or any characterisation here to speak of, but it makes up for that with some good gags and just being entertaining.

4/5

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It is stupid, but man the show would get way way stupider, and at least KTAAR remembers to be funny. I'd take it over the vast majority of the HD era.

Quote Originally Posted by silent disco View Post
    even so, if this is your least favorite simps, i have to assume you haven't watched anything in the HD era or hell even s14-19 because there's alot of fuckin' competition.
    I stopped watching the show with any regularity after season 18, so whenever you see me review an episode of the Simpsons I'm very particular with not going all Comic Book Guy and labeling them the worst episode ever. I haven't seen them all.

Perhaps, when grading on a 27 season curve, KTAAR doesn't come off so badly. That being said:

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    There's not much of a plot or any characterisation here to speak of, but it makes up for that with some good gags and just being entertaining.
    It's this kind of defense that I'll never be able to get behind. We can talk about the relative importance of continuity until the cows come home (Scully never gave a shit, whatever), but characterization is a dealbreaker for me. If writers are going to work to keep an audience invested in one set of characters for a decade, the least they can do is keep their personalities straight. It's not that hard to accomplish. "This episode is supposed to be wacky" isn't that great an excuse for poorly written episode to begin with, but there's no excuse for what Homer is doing in the first act of KTAAR. I watched some of the episode last night and holy shit his mental breakdown happens in warp speed. It's so strange and abrupt that I can't even feel anything for the guy. "Guess how many boobs I saw today, Marge. Fifteen!" is a C+ Peter Griffin line, but it's an F coming from Homer. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but character and humor often goes hand in hand.

And I'll just throw it out there: the Al Jean years have been endless and dreary, but seasons 15 and 16 were way ahead of 11 and 12. Better characterizations, more heart, about level on humor. Then Bonfire of the Manatees happened over and over again in different variations for two years and I gave up.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I still hate this episode but i have to admit that this episode is still kinda amusing in a "so bad it´s funny" way. The plot is shit and most of the humor dosen´t work but you can feel a lot of energy and they did try to be funny even though they didin´t succeed compared to a lot of hd-episodes that are just painfully boring, nothing more.

Thread Information