View Poll Results: How Would You rate it?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

79 33.19%
  • 4/5

104 43.70%
  • 3/5

45 18.91%
  • 2/5

7 2.94%
  • 1/5

3 1.26%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "Bart The Genius"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bart The Genius

Like the first episode this episode is more character driven than funny and relies on the plot more than the jokes. Saying this I do enjoy this one a tinny bit more than the first. The animation is still pretty bad but I'm not complaining since it took place in 1990. But I must agree with some other people that the episode is pretty boring at parts and lifeless but overall it's not bad.

Score: B-, 3.5/5, 7/10, Good

Junior Camper ILoveTheSimpsonsALot's Avatar

I just watched it and I think it's pretty good considering it's only the second episode they made.
    4/5

Junior Camper

These season 1 episodes get better and better the more you watch them. A strong 4/5.

5/5

One of my favorite opening sequences in the history of the show. The Scrabble scene is classic! Like others have said, there weren't as many jokes as later seasons, but the heart that the show had in the 1st season more than makes up for it. At this point in time the show was an underdog, fighting to stay alive. And watching these episodes now, I can still feel that.

Blog Entries

3/5, a good episode, but it's boring at parts.
    Still good for the season 1, and I like the end when Homer chases Bart but I don't like the ambiance in the school for gifted...
    Last edited by Blobulle; 05-31-2011 at 08:41 AM.

I loved the episode especially the scrabble scene - 5/5

I have mixed opinions on this episode. In a way, it is great as it outlines Bart Simpsons character and what he stands for. However, it was maybe a bit to early in the series to start altering characters personalities and to have Bart in an intellectual environment was a bit too rash for the second episode. On the other hand, it did have some classic moments including the, 'You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't' paradox segment.

Grade: 7/10

Banned

7 people need shot!

Anyway 5/5 for certain

Blog Entries

Pretty damn good for a (kind of) premiere. 4.5/5

Banned

5/5

Flawless and classic. The first Bart-centric episode has a very well-written story, genuinely funny moments and really nails the character, both at home and at school. Very nice job on the Homer-Bart relationship too.

Grade: A+
    Last edited by db105; 04-19-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Good but the first episode is better: 4/5

Professional Burger Stealer Krusty Burglar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just like the first episode, great.

4/5.

Tell Us What it Am SchmatisfiedHomer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode is pretty damn good, especially with what Lisa says at the end: "I think Bart's stupid again, mom." However, the animation, like many of the earlie episodes, was pretty meh.

3/5.

Very good. Great start with the kwijybo segment and the blossoming of a Martin Prince/Bart Simpson rivalry. Aswell as funny throughout, it had some very realistic bonding between Homer and Bart. The theme that stuck out for me was Homer genuinely delighted at the prospect of his son becoming better or achieving greater things academically than he ever did and that disappointment was pain deep...not quite justifying chasing your 9 year naked son around the house but still powerfull. The episode merely lacked a certain flair and satirisation that the show would become famous for and unlike the gentleman above, the "lack" of animation is, on the contrary, far more charming than such HD episodes we have to witness these days.

5/5, 9/10 A-

R.I.P. Futurama 1999-2013 Professorfrink's Avatar
    Blog Entries

4/5 it paved the way for the future of the series

Junior Camper

I remember this episode well... Second episode aired, and the second in production, this is "Bart the Genius"! From what I've heard, they considered aborting the series if this had as many mistakes as the original animation of "Some Enchanted Evening". Good thing it didn't.

The highlights include the school that Bart attends after being declared a genius, the first appearance of Martin Prince, which is pretty good (although I think he's funnier in "Bart Gets an F"), Homer teaching Bart how to put on a tie (which is a clip on! ), the first appearance of J. Loren Pryor, and Marcia Wallace voicing a different character!

The episode has some good humor, like the scene with the Simpsons family playing Scrabble. Bart puts down the word "Kwyjibo", which of course isn't real. The scene with Bart being taught math ("RDRR!") is similarly hilarious. Also, Dr. Pryor and Skinner claim that genius is usually hereditary... "although in this case it's a complete mystery!" In the end, Bart confesses that he really switched his intelligence test with Martin's, and gets sent back to Springfield Elementary.

I give it a 4/5. Indeed it did, @professerfrink

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ah rewatching this episode is like getting sweet nostalgia on a dinner plate:

the old gang

a dreamsequence that could be situated in Wackyland

Marge defined in a curved line

crazy pictures in the background

creative angles

very early examples of quality composition and shadowing

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

I never really liked the episode. Best moment was easily Homer chasing Bart around. The opera thing sucked too. However, I liked the school and they should add that to Tapped Out. 2/5 [one of the few low grades for this episode, surprisingly].

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

This is probably one of the better episodes from Season 1. 7/10

Banned
    Blog Entries

This one was far better than i remembered. I used to view as one of the weaker of season 1, but now i think it might be one of the best of season 1. The kwijibo gag are perhaps one of the funniest gags in Simpsons history. Plus this episode also introduced Eat My Shorts, Barts catchprase. And its also the first episode that makes an refrence to The Simpsons clan being dumb. (You may outsmart someone) Pryors talk to Homer about Barts IQ is hilarious. I enjoy every scene in Barts new school. The ending is also hilarious with Homer chasing Bart. (I think Barts stupid again) Overall, i really underrated this episode. The plot is fine too. The idea of someone cheating on a test has been done many times in other shows, but they still managed to keep the story interesting and fresh. Oh yeah, i forgot Barts my confession letter, and him spelling confession wrong. (That was one of the best bits of the episode) The plot kept me interested, i wanted to see what would happen to Bart. The caracters were generally spot-on. Great episode. Grade:A-

Also for those who are wondering, why i have all of a sudden delated my blog entries, started watching the show in order, changed grading system. I did it because i decided in the last minute that it would work better in a thread, and i decided to use this grading system because it overall looks cooler. And i decided to watch in order. Because even though, i might be waiting to watch a certain episode there are still several episodes on the way that could be fun to rewatch and review.
    Last edited by Jerkass Homer; 07-14-2013 at 06:03 AM.

that guy you forgot existed Judge Fudge's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The first great episode. 8/10

Once again, there really isn't much to mention here. The animation and expressions are awkward, but at least some of the jokes are pretty funny.

B-

3/5. Good for Season 1, a fun episode to dust off from time to time.

Junior Camper

Not as good as the 'Simpsons Roasting on an open fire" but it is still a good episode. 4/5

Blog Entries

Great Episode. The animation weird, but it was cool. One of the best of the season.

4/5

the protagonist of reality Two Guys, a Girl, and a kat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bart might be a genius, but are the writers?

The answer is a definite yes.

A good mix of jokes, emotions, and character development.

5/5 what a classic.

Blog Entries

When I saw this episode originally, I always found it a bit difficult to carve my opinion on it. After seeing it again I can see it has a pretty good dynamic with the Homer-Bart relationship and while I may have wanted the ending to be something a little more emotional-driven they at least replaced it with a funny segment that keeps the status-quo between the two characters.

I see that some people think it was lifeless at parts but I disagree. I thought the story flowed well and they managed to fit some humor into it (the musical, whenever Bart's in class) while developing the father-son relationship in a cute way.

I initially voted it as 4/5 but I'd change it to 5/5 if I had the chance. An episode with a lot of character that I once never thought much about.

Itís a pretty straightforward one-story episode. Homer provides most of the humor and as such, the jokes come more slowly than weíre accustomed to.

The KWJIYBO opening is of course, classic. Once at the school we see a different, nastier, side of Martin, seen sticking his tongue out at Bart. Bartís attempt to work out a math question launches a fantasy sequence which is well-done and a lot of fun. Always looking for new things, I noticed that even the decorations in the train car are made of numbers. The racks on the back are 8ís, the ceiling reinforcements are 6ís and the arm rests are 2ís.

The psychologist who comes to deliver the news of Bartís superb score is an early indication of the overall intelligence of Springfieldians, as he uses phrenology on Bart to help make his determination that heís a genius. That scene overall has very few laughs.

Bart’s time at the advanced school is also fairly sparse on laughs. The other kids are cruel, and the teacherís attempts to be funny are fairly flat. By now itís been established that Bart is miserable. The best laugh comes from the explosion after Bart assures us he knows what heís doing when mixing acids and bases.

Thereís a scene at the Opera thatís again sparse on laughs. Bart sings about a cuspidor, which is a rather strange word for him to know. Thereís no real point to any of it, except maybe to show that they family isnít high-class, or to illuminate the nature of Bart and Homerís relationship. Afterwards there is a beautiful scene of Homer and Bart playing catch in the back yard.

If I mention often that the animation is some adjective for great, itís because it has become so stale. We no longer get wonderful shots like those above.

References include the Russian opera Carmen, and a litany of books at the new school: Plato, Crime and Punishment, Shakespeare, Paradise Lost, and many more. Thereís also a biting bit of satire that I didnít remember. Bartís graffiti on the school which at first gets him in trouble is later seen roped off and on display, which of course recalls The Fountain.

The episode ends in a manner you could refer to as classic, though itís not one of my favorites from the season. The slow parts really have me tapping my foot with impatience. One could argue thatís a different show, similar in name-only. But the animation is so great, and I am a sucker for sweet moments, that this episode stands the test of time in my book.

4/5

Thread Information