View Poll Results: How Would You rate it?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

79 32.92%
  • 4/5

105 43.75%
  • 3/5

46 19.17%
  • 2/5

7 2.92%
  • 1/5

3 1.25%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rate/Review "Bart The Genius"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

4/5 solid season 1 episode

This episode was genius 4/5

To Professionalism! DarkDiamond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good episode. A very simple idea, but it was executed well. The animation is decent. I've seen this many times, but I still like to watch these old episodes once in a while. B+
    Zombie Simpsons - Season 26
    Clown in the Dumps - F The Wreck of the Relationship - F Super Franchise Me - D- Treehouse of Horror XXV - D Opposites A-Frack - D Simpsorama - D+ Blazed and Confused - D Covercraft - D I Won't Be Home for Christmas - D+ The Man Who Came to Be Dinner - C- Bart's New Friend - D The Musk Who Fell to Earth - F Walking Big & Tall - D

Family Guy - Season 13
    The Simpsons Guy - B The Book of Joe - C- Baking Bad - C+ Brian the Closer - C Turkey Guys - B+ The 2000-Year-Old Virgin - F Stewie, Chris, & Brian's Excellent Adventure - B Our Idiot Brian - B- This Little Piggy - D Quagmire's Mom - C

I rate this episode a 8/10. Love this episode. Another bart featured episode getting involved in his shenanigans. This episode introduces Martin the class genius and focuses on his feud with Bart. One of my favorite moments of this show is when Homer asked Bart how school was and Bart replied "Os os" "thats backwards for so so". Another great scene was when Bart confesses to Homer that he isnt a genius at all, that he cheated, and Homer does his signature strangle reaction only Bart avoids him by running to his room butt naked lol.

Junior Camper simpsonscollector1998's Avatar

classic episode 4/5
    Simpsons collector cince 2007 and i like it!

First Bart episode and it's a good one.

4/5

I can't say how much I really like this episode. Great comedy and plot. One of the best episodes of Season 1. 93/100
    "It's a ring toss game." –Homer Simpson

Support me in helping to review every single Simpsons episode so far! (Best in blue and worst in red)

Season 1
    Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire: 75/100
    Bart the Genius: 93/100
    Homer's Odyssey: 70/100
    There's No Disgrace Like Home: 89/100
    Bart the General: 88/100
    Moaning Lisa: 83/100
    Call of the Simpsons: 81/100

4/5
    Over the years i have really grown to appreciate this episode more and more, it's just entertaining. Of course being Season 1 you can still see choppy animation and such like that, but that's part of the charm in my opinion. A real winner from Season 1!

BTW forgot, my avatar is from this episode, Ethan Foley!

This episode is in my top 3 favorite episodes of season 1 5/5 A+

Love this episode. The scrabble scene I think is hilarious, don't know why. The train scene always makes me laugh, too. 5/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowstormented View Post
    they're accurate as of the 2015 alien dick census

This has aged extremely well; I recently rewatched it, having not seen it in years, and was very impressed. Skimming through this thread I really can't understand a lot of the common complaints. Sure the story's a little "stock" compared to the rest of the series, with the occasional prosaic scene or gag that feels like something I've seen a few times before, but honestly: who cares? The characterisations are solid, the dialogue is surprisingly snappy with some great one-liners, and the whole thing is just so lovely and warm; it's sweet, funny and watching it makes you feel happy. I'm quite comfortable giving this an A.

As is the case with Season 1 in general, it's somewhat different to what the show would become in what's generally considered the classic era, but the seeds of greatness are there, and it's still pretty great in its own right. As the first "regular" episode, it sets the tone for the family's day-to-day dynamic, and introduces some prominent supporting characters. There's some funny character-defining moments with Homer and Bart goofing off at the opera, which even Lisa enjoys. There's genuine emotion as you feel for Bart, first as he struggles with his exam, and then as he's picked on by the kids at the school for gifted children. It makes a rather sobering point about cliques and bullying.

It's interesting to look back at the elements that would be dropped as the show went on, from the kids besides Milhouse in Bart's group of friends (and Bart kind of being the leader of his own little gang), Principal Skinner looking for a way to get rid of Bart, and Martin being set up as a rival of sorts. We'd see traces of that continue here and there, but they were largely abandoned.

Not the funniest episode, not the best story, but it's a strong introduction to Bart's character, and no doubt helped make him a star in the early years of the show. 4.5/5
    A little less Generic than before.

Junior Camper

Rewatching season 1 is bizarre. It's not nostalgic really, as it doesn't feel like the Simpsons. The show was in such a primative state. That being said, there are many glipses as to why this would become such a classic. It was on the right track, the writers were just figuring it out. There's nothing particularly hilarious in this episode, but the writing, structure and characterization is spot-on. I'm sure this made it easy for people to warm to the characters when the show first aired. A story you can get invested it, and character arc you can relate and sympathize with, and does a great job of establishing the dynamic between Homer and Bart.

Clear why Bart became the breakout character in the show's early years (although they already treated him like the main character in the Ulman Shorts, so I'm sure it was there intention all along, despite his burst of popularity).

Not a classic, but definately an important episode in the show's history. 7.5

(Always found it bizarre that Homer suggested Lisa should get smarter in this episode. Sometimes forget the writers didn't make her a genius until season 2)

The first great mischief of Bart Simpson.

According to producer comments, if the animation of Bart the Genius had been as disastrous as it was in the first version of Some Enchanted Evening the show would have been canceled. Fortunately, Klasky Csupo managed to improve with the quality, and reduced the errors to the usual of the first seasons. We really were very lucky. We were just losing everything...

Making screenshot to the first seasons should be one of my hobbies.

In this episode we have a critique -quite ruthless- towards the behavior of the geniuses. The truth, I do not understand very well why. Martin's characterization is completely irritating. Superb, derogatory, snitch and always with a mocking attitude. For their part, Bart's classmates at the Enriched Learning Center for Gifted Children are also arrogant and derogatory, discriminate against Bart because of his low coefficient and make fun of him, even taking his lunch off. I am not sure if Dr. J. Loren Pryor falls into the category of 'genius', but his characterization does not resemble that of those named above. He looks rather delusional believing Bart's lies and avoiding the corroboration of the result of the child's examination.

Look at this provocative child. I'm glad Bart has ruined your chance to progress.

On the side of those of normal coefficient, Homer and Bart appear. I love the father-son relationship they have in this episode. It's a shame that Homer was all for interest and that at the end of the story is so incomprehensible. But we had pleasant moments between them, like when they play baseball together or when Homer teaches his son to put on a tie. I really like that Bart has endured his companions only to not disappoint his father. And I also find the use of Marge very appropriate, trying to do cultured activities to promote the intelligence of your child.

I am fascinated by the realism of this scene. You can feel the happiness of both.

On the side of those of normal coefficient, Homer and Bart appear. I love the father-son relationship they have in this episode. It's a shame that Homer was all for interest and that at the end of the story is so incomprehensible. But we had pleasant moments between them, like when they play baseball together or when Homer teaches his son to put on a tie. I really like that Bart has endured his companions only to not disappoint his father. And I also find the use of Marge very appropriate, trying to do cultured activities to promote the intelligence of your child.

"You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't." A phrase worthy of a genius.

But despite the inconsistencies or, rather, the unknowns left by the plot, we must highlight the humor that manages this episode. The beginning, with the family playing Scrabble, is very nice to start the episode. And, during the development, we have a lot of fun moments, like for example, the family watching an opera and the shame that Marge generates for the behavior of her husband and children. Oh, and there's a background joke that I want to highlight: Bart's drawing satirizing Skinner became a work of art since the author was considered a genius.

This type of jokes make The Simpsons stand out from everything else.

Bart the Genius is an acceptable episode, able to extract juice to a plot with certain inconsistencies, thanks to the good jokes and the relationship that shows between Homer and Bart, although the latter had an unhappy ending. It could have been much better, but it was not bad.

3/5
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 08-29-2019 at 03:18 PM.

The real first debut of the series. It was a good episode with clever jokes and the first Bart themed episode. 5/5

well in this episode we establish mostly everyone, not to mention the evolution of most characters, Martin's gone from a tattletale to a sissy, though Milhouse doesn't really start developing until we meet his parents.

I kind of wonder what happened with Martin during the episode considering, I mean if Bart was sent to a special genius school was martin sent to the remedial class or something?
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

Thread Information