View Poll Results: How Would You rate it?

Voters
237. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

78 32.91%
  • 4/5

104 43.88%
  • 3/5

45 18.99%
  • 2/5

7 2.95%
  • 1/5

3 1.27%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "Bart The Genius"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

do the bartman!

5/5 i really liked this episode. the opera part was hilarious and there was no bad jokes or anything wrong in this episode.
    Season 6 rocks!

the original Sex Pistol

4/5, that's the first Bart

Banned

Meh. Really quite a dull episode. B-

must admit, one of my least favorite episodes, especially it lacks a little bit the humour, i like so much about the Simpsons.
    Its most of the time boring and i just miss some good gags.
    The story idea is not bad, but could have been a way better done.

C

Just great 5/5

I survived the Monorail TerwilligerBob's Avatar

Not the best, but very good for season 1. I watched this back when I had only seen a few episodes, and I loved it even more back then. Extremely funny, and I highly enjoyed the rather quicker-paced writing than the rest of season one. This is yet another episode that I relate strongly to Bart, i.e. the scene where he disasterously tries to visualize the train problem. Same thing always used to happen to me, not that dramatically of course, but small problems that I was supposed to work out which instead threw me into a load of figuring. And of course this has a really top-notch ending, I mean, there isn't a whole lot of stuff that's funnier than Homer chasing a naked, half-green Bart through the living room and getting locked out of his bedroom after Bart's "heartfelt" speech. And "kwijibo" is one of my favorite words ever. 4.5/5
    "Attention Duelists!"

You Know, THAT one ThatAsianGuy's Avatar

Not a bad first episode to focus on Bart but kinda slow. 4.5/5

Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Blog Entries

it wasn't a bad episode, but I don't consider it a "classic" it did have it's moments though, I still use kwyjibo to this day

3/5

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

4/5

good episode, some funny moments, and establishes some of the characters well

NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar

Seriously underrated around here. Features perfect characterizations for every character, a great plot, excellent plot development and pacing, intelligent and engaging writing, and many witty gags. The ending is a bit off, but it doesn't detract much from the excellence of the episode. A/A+

I still consider this the first ever episode even though it wasn't. One of the better episodes of season 1. 4.5/5
    00 32 15 19 4 21 2 25 17 34 6 27 13 36 11 30 8 23

10 5 24 16 33 1 20 14 31 9 22 18 29 7 28 12 35 3 26 0

Rating:
    5/5

Comments:
    First episode after the christmas debut, and already the characters are developing nicely. Some great funny moments, and solidly funny all the way through. Definitely one of the best episodes in season one.

Favourite Quote:
    "I think Bart's stupid again Mom"

Other Memorable Moments:
    - The scrabble game at the start.. love it.. the whole thing
    - Bart and Martin pulling faces at each other through the window
    - ".. you may achieve something every simpson has dreamed of for generations... you might outsmart someone!" -SHOVE-
    - Bart's paradox "your'e damned if you do and you're damned if you don't"

Not a bad episode from Season 1 with some good jokes but also, as with most of Season 1, some boring scenes.

3/5
    We got no food, we got no jobs, our PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!

Yeah Um I'm Ah Wondering! Jimbo77's Avatar

not bad nor good episode
    3/5

Banned

3/5
    really I didn't like bart as a genius It was boring but homer was funny at the end

A
    An all round funny episode.
    Thought the Nerds annoyed me.
    EA's debt list : Father Sean - Shary Bobbins - Chirpy Boy & Bart Junior - Kang Topiary- Blocko Store
    Will not accept barter in the form of 'donut' currency.

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My favourite from season 1. I must say that, before noticing the animation, I just thought this episode was at a pretty more advanced season, like 7th.
    The episode is taken brilliantly in humour terms. There were so many laughs here, like the Kwyjibo joke, every scene at the highly talented students' school or Homer's anger's shouts at the ending that it kept me dying of laughter at almost all the twenty minutes. I also liked Martin here and his funny duel of mocking faces against Bart.

That said, the episode had a strong script too. It is a pretty much difficult idea to start a series by introducing a character in a new context (before looking after characterizing Bart at his environment) and that was a handicap that the episode actually exceeded. The scenes at the other school were all so well-written that they even were useful to develop his attitude. And the resolution was just perfect. Bart writing his confession and Dr. Pryor's line: "You know, you misspelled "confession"."

I have no more to say, except that some phrases about comics in the geniuses' school disturbed me about how cruel they were. But that isn't a problem for another 10/10.

Blog Entries

Like most of season 1, very meh. It's ugly, dull, and most of the gags were predictable. However, the kwijybo gag is a classic and the plot was well written for a season 1 episode, besides the fact that I don't think the plot was resolved. 3/5

Blog Entries

Pretty good for Season 1, only a few dull moments, and of course the classic "Kwijybo" gag. While not my favorite episode of the season, I think it deserves a 12/15
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

pulpa11

Full Episode Review

INTRODUCTION

Couch Gag: Bart pops out the end
    Chalkboard: I will not waste chalk
    Other: First time starting scene airs

GOOD GAGS

Maggie has stacked blocks that say “E=mc(squared)”

How bad their scrabble game is.

Bart: “kwyjibo: a big, dumb, balding, north american ape…with no chin”
    Marge: “and a short temper.”

Bart’s story problem experience!

Homer putting his clip-on tie on bart…

Homer: “But I’m not a genius, why should I suffer!”

CHARACTERIZATION

I like that Lisa is amused by the antics at the Opera too, that rarely happened in seasons after.

ANIMATION

Nice touch when Marge is brushing Bart’s hair.

This episode in particular has a lot of really ‘string’ animation…it’s kinda neat in a way.

The hamsters running away.

Bart nude and green! Haha.

OTHER

Scale Rating 1-10: Not rating the first season

The show was still in the early stages of figuring itself out and fared relatively well. It was okay. 3/5
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

An OK episode. 3/5.

Blog Entries

I just read the script, then watched the episode, and I have come to respect "Bart The Genius" a bit more than I already do. The episode is depressing, but in a good way. The premise, while simple, is very well crafted. I find Bart's stress uncomfortably real, and I empathize with his character from start to finish. While this episode dives deep into a satire of an average student struggling through a highly intelligent environment, there are warm family interaction scenes to help lighten the mood. In fact, I feel the Homer/Bart interaction to be a strong, defining aspect for the start of the series.
    Although Bart has trouble learning to adapt to his new school and intellectual surroundings, he begins to gravitate towards his family, especially Homer (you can tell from the opening scene of this episode, that Bart doesn't exactly get along too well with his family, especially Homer), and their relationship evolves in a positive manner. As the school scenes progressed, you can feel Bart being weighed down with stress. Bart and Homer having a catch in the backyard, to me, is the most important scene in the episode. It's the point where you witness a rare Homer/Bart moment where Bart is enjoying time with his father, and Homer is proud of his son. The irony in this scene however is that by now you realize that Bart isn't gong to be able to put up with the genius charade much longer, and that the strong, sweet, father/son relationship is not going to last, but Bart enjoys the moment for what it's worth. I honestly got teary-eyed during that part.
    Bart finally confesses, knowing that shifting the lie to the truth will mean shattering the improved bond he had with Homer. The episode doesn't have a good or bad ending, but a realistic, humorous one. Everything just returns to normal, which leaves the viewer with an impression that the show is still unfolding, and that interaction between the family members cannot be improved based off a quick fix, which holds true to real life. I strongly respect that. Oh and hey, a handful of memorable jokes! Not the best episode, but a good one. 4/5
    Last edited by lionelhutz123; 11-12-2009 at 11:38 AM.

Blog Entries

4/5. It started well, with the famous Qwijybo gag.

It went a little down after Bart had been mistaken for a genius, and the jokes at the school weren't really hilarious or anything. The opera scene was pretty good. And the ending was funny. But at parts it was slow, I thought, so it only gets 4/5

For the greater good SIR oinks alot's Avatar

Bart: “kwyjibo: a big, dumb, balding, north american ape…with no chin”
    Marge: “and a short temper.”

"ig you want peace prepare for war"

Homer: “But I’m not a genius, why should I suffer!”

best line was" dont be discouraged son, I bet einstien turned himself many colors before he invented the lightbulb."

lionel hutz kinda described what I felt about the baseball scene, the animation is strange and crappy, but it gives it that matt groening charm to it. overall a great episode that is a bit slow, but developes characters nicely
    “On my deathbed, my final wish is to have my ex-wives rush to my side so I can use my dying breath to tell them both to go to hell one last time.”

I loved this episode from the inside-out. Season One gets a lot of hate, but this is an episode that truly did shine in my opinion. I laughed my ass off harder on this episode than any other Season One episode.

Easily 5/5

I am your big brother

Great follow up to the Christmas episode, good plot progession, nice characterisations and Bart's black and white dream is quite imaginative. However, the episode did seem a-bit slow and lifeless at points. My grade's 3/5

Blog Entries

3/5 - C

Don't know why, but this one just doesn't do much for me. I liked some of the gags, but that is about it. The plot wasn't that good, and that is what brings the episode down from a 4.

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

for an episode from season one this one was good. My favourite moment had to be the scrabble game and the gags that went with it etc. solid 4/5

Second best of Season 1. Not laugh out loud Hilarious, but it told an entertaining story and showed hints of the Simpsons we know and love. 5/5 Maybe too kind of a score, but I smiled all the way through, so what the hell?

Thread Information