View Poll Results: Nananananananana Batman! I mean Leader!

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

80 56.74%
  • 4/5

25 17.73%
  • 3/5

26 18.44%
  • 2/5

7 4.96%
  • 1/5

3 2.13%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: The Joy Of Sect

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

hidle-onar-takan-thran Toomanygrandmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not Awful, but Overrated

I used to quite like 'The Joy of Sect', then on each viewing, grew to like it less and less. Now I'm in a position where I don't like it much, and think it's probably one of Season 9's weaker episodes. Most of my views are probably similar to those of SpeedwaySquad's, above.

On one hand, the episode is original. It does tackle the issue of cults, something not looked at by the show before. Also for a 'Character takes a moral stand against', the character taking a stand isn't Lisa for once. On the other hand, it isn't that original. Marge taking a stand against a group/person that has duped the public was done before in a similar fashion, in 'Marge vs the Monorail', and that's a far superior episode. Secondly, criticising cults and the lies and possible hypocrisies, isn't anything new. Plus, the way the episode makes fun of cults, and in some cases, organised religion, isn't really subtle. For this episode to be effective, the satire should be slightly more subtle. The scene where Lovejoy criticises Movementarianism, then procedes to ask for colletion money and asks them to say the Lord's prayer is pretty blatant. Having said that, this episode at least had an impact - it was the first of 'Marge, Ned and Lovejoy band together', something done in 'The Father, the Son, and the Holy Guest Star', - and wasn't it also done in 'She of Little Faith'?

The episode did get pretty wacky. In order for a wacky episode to be redeemed, it makes sense that it should at least be funny. 'The Joy of Sect' - sans for the scene with Barney and the kidney, Homer's 'leader beans' and Burns planning and revealing his new cult - wasn't all that funny. The characterisation wasn't too poor, but Homer was too stupid in some moments, and I disliked his 'Out of the way, Jerkass' line, that they felt like repeating, where he came off as obnoxious and rude.

Overall, I don't hate this episode, but think it's pretty overrated, and there are much better satirical episodes.

3/5 or 6/10
    Poochie needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

It was a very weird one, but it somehow worked. Modern Simpsons writers could learn a little something from this episode. 4/5

EDIT: By the way, is this episode where the term "Jerkass Homer" came from?
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Blog Entries

^ yes it is

Blog Entries

Holy hell, is this overrated. I voted 4/5 on the poll, but something tells me I might have voted 3/5.

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ugh, this episode is kind of weak. I really didn't like the plot, it's just not that interesting. A couple funny moments here and there, but this is definitely one of the duds of Season 9. 2.5/5, rounded down to a 2.

Formally Fry-O-Rama Homer Defined's Avatar

8/10 This wasn't one of the best episodes of Season 9, but it was still good. Act one I laughed the whole way through, Act two slowed down some once the family was in the cult, and the third act was OK.

Other things I liked in this episode
    The cult pressuring everyone into staying to watch the presentation video.
    "He's wrong! You're wrong! The whole DAMN system is WRONG! GAAH!"
    "We LOVE the leader!"
    Bart's Lil Bastard Kit being switched with a Lil Brainwashing Kit.
    The Prisoner joke (I think it worked better here than in The Computer Wore Menace Shoes)
    Marge, Rev. Lovejoy, and Groundskeeper Willie joining in together in beating Homer in the head with baseball bats.
    The leader trying to escape on that crappy spaceship contraption with the dozens of bags with the dollar sign painted on them.
    Moe using a voodoo doll to make Barney have an urge to grab a drink at his bar.
    Jimbo Jones: [about Homer] I hear that guy's ass has it's own congressman!
    Bart Simpson: I wash myself with a rag on a stick.
    Homer Simpson: [takes cap out of dryer and puts it on his head] Mmmmm... I CAN feel three types of softness.
    Lisa Simpson: [from upstairs] Dad, what are you doing down there?
    Homer Simpson: Washing my fat guy's hat honey!

David Mirkin's last masterpiece. Packed full of hilarious scenes and Mirkinesque attacks on authority figures (We are watching FOX).

Best Quotes:

Krishna: Have you heard of Krishna consciousness?
    Homer: This Bart, is a crazy man.
    Christian: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    Homer: Right, that'll work.
    Movementarian Woman: A new and better life awaits you on our distant home planet Blisstonia.
    Homer: Hmm, makes sense.
    Movementarian Woman: We're having a free get acquainted session at our resort this weekend.
    Homer: How much is this free resort weekend?
    Movementarian Man: It's free.
    Homer: And when IS this weekend?
    Movementarian Man: It's this weekend.
    Homer: Uh huh, and how much does it cost?
    Movementarian Man: Um, it's free.
    Homer: I see, and when is it?
    Homer: And what are you charging for this free weekend?

Out of my way, Jerkass!

Homer no function beer well without.

Homer: Wait. I'm confused about the movie. So the cops knew that Internal Affairs was setting them up.
    Movementarian Man: What are you talking about? There's nothing like that in there.
    Homer: Well you see, when I get bored I make up my own movie...

Mr Burns:..Wait, yes. I think I've got just the thing hahahahaHaHaHaHaHaHAHAHAHA
    (...)
    Smithers: Uh, Sir. You have to tell me what your plan is or nothing will happen.
    Mr. Burns: Oh yes, of course, the plan. You see me as a God, right Smithers?
    Smithers: Absolutely, Sir.
    Mr. Burns: You'd kneel before me?
    Smithers: Would I!

Rev. Lovejoy: (pouring gas in the pews) Ohh, I never thought I'd have to do this again.

Willie: I'll kidnap them for 50, deprogram 'em for a 100, and I'll kill'em for 500.
    Marge: No, no no, just the first two.
    Willie: Alright, I'll throw in the killing for free!

Willie: Give me that, you noodle armed choirboy!
    Rev. Lovejoy: Well, that didn't do it Mr. Kilt.

Rev. Lovejoy: Oh Mercy, he's the real deal!

Highlights include (There were so many great moments, this list only scratches the surface) Just Crichton and King bookstore (Do you have anything by Robert Ludlum? Get out.), the orientation film, Kent Brockman's abrupt change of opinion, Mr. Burns' new religion, Movementarian's Barney the Dinosaur, the Leader Beans, Marge's escape from the compound (especially the orb), the Lawyers montage, and Homer telling Willie about the Leader.
    Last edited by hutz; 12-14-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Oh, I never thought I'd have to do this again

Junior Camper

I'd give this one 4/5. Definitely the best of this season, and one of the episodes that has the best clever humor. I mean, yes, there's "Get out of my way, jerkass!" but at this early stage, there was a reason for Homer to be a jerkass (albeit an obvious one). At least this episode doesn't have JAH being a jerk just for fun.

Formally Fry-O-Rama Homer Defined's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by al and mike View Post
    David Mirkin's last masterpiece. Packed full of hilarious scenes and Mirkinesque attacks on authority figures(We are watching FOX).

Best Quotes:

Krishna: Have you heard of Krishna consciousness?
    Homer: This Bart, is a crazy man.
    Christian: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    Homer: Right, that'll work.
    Movementarian Woman: A new and better life awaits you on our distant home planet Blisstonia.
    Homer: Hmm, makes sense.
    Movementarian Woman: We're having a free get acquainted session at our resort this weekend.
    Homer: How much is this free resort weekend?
    Movementarian Man: It's free.
    Homer: And when IS this weekend?
    Movementarian Man:: It's this weekend.
    Homer: Uh huh, and how much does it cost?
    Movementarian Man: Um, it's free.
    Homer: I see, and when is it?
    Homer: And what are you charging for this free weekend?
    Haha! I forgot to mention this part when I was R&Ring this episode, one of my favorite scenes from the first act.

well. after reading post after post of people saying it's overrated, i for one don't find this to be overrated at all. well deserving of the high praise it gets. i honestly didn't think anyone loved this one until looking it up now. this episode cracks me up. so many great jokes and scenes. man i love season 9.

"OUT OF MY WAY, JERKASS!"

^one of my favourite jokes of the series.

^and then a line i use almost every other day. "...so the cops knew internal affairs were setting them up?"

^an hilarious cheat...

^...and its call back.

^lastly, my favourite reading of the episode. "hoverbikes!"

i give this episode an A+

I'm a puffy pink cloud!!! babywithacrowbar's Avatar

5/5

Loved this episode. Especially the bit where they are trying to knock Homer out in the back of the limo. It kills me every time. Also, the Flandereses rumpus room has never failed to produce pure gold.

I found that this was a nice break from episodes that just include the Simpson family. It's great when the whole town is involved, therefore you get the whole mass marriage thing with Barney and Otto, Burns starting his own religion, another Kent Brockman news report where he has an immediate change of opinion, and that fantastic line when Sideshow Mel thinks that the leader loves him more than Moe....."I am even dustier, dustier than thou!"
    Please subscribe to me on YouTube!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/babywithacrowbar

of course everyones flipping shit because homer said “jerkass”

ooooooooooooooooooh leprechaun_dan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode isn't overrated at all. 5/5
    [SIZE=1] Check out my South Park episode ideas in my user notes (Note: It's the fifth and last note): http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=41294

"I got blisters on me fingers!" ~ Ringo Starr (Helter Skelter)

Led Zeppelin IV > Houses of the Holy > Physical Graffiti > Led Zeppelin II > Led Zeppelin I > Led Zeppelin III > Presence > In Through the Out Door > Coda

Blog Entries

Ugh, even worse than my previous post. This one is easily 2/5 territory and it has terrible jokes, execution, and feel.

This episode is kinda weird...but original. That part where they all hit homer with a bat made me laugh so much. But overall, pretty average. 3/5

LOL Some fans have poor taste in episodes, this episode is an absolute clinker, esp as it takes the piss out of L Ron Hubbard and the scientologists (a cult I really dislike)

Its interesting that Marge is the only family member not to be brainwashed by the movementarians, you would have thought Lisa would have had the will power.

The Barney and Otto wedding is a bit gross with the revelation that Otto is going to be the man (gave me a mental image I could have done without)

I love it how Flanders and Marge de-program the kids with Hover bikes, Willie's attempts to do the same with Homer amusingly less so.

There's enough plot and great gags in the episode to warrant classic billing.

5/5

Blog Entries

Anyone who doesn't like this episode is the leader in disguise... 5/5

Bring on the men Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is a great episode. I haven't seen it in a long time, but it's certainly one of the best of its season. Very funny, and the Movementarians are great characters.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Loved it. Season Nine did not suck. 5/5

Banned
    Blog Entries

I forgot how hilarious this episode was, might be my new favorite season 9 episode. 10/10

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I had no idea how wacky this episode was. A few things are quite jarringly ridiculous, such as the bubble thing that chases Marge and suffocates Hans Moleman, and the lawyers. It's odd to see that kind of thing as early as Season 9. On the other hand, the plot is quite enjoyable and it deals with interesting subject matter, and it is funny. 6/10

Blog Entries

I love this episode. In my Top 10.

5/5

Blog Entries

3/5 seems to be a fair rating. I remember when I watched Simpsons reruns here in the UK, they'd only rarely show episodes from season 9 and 10 and it wasn't for a while until I finally saw seasons after that. Anyway, watching this episode back then, I remember really liking it. It had a more surreal and grander scale to it which I liked. But I've watched it recently and while its enjoyable in its own right, I feel there too few jokes that really work. Some say Homer's in jerkass mode here and while I do agree he's a bit too stupid, I do like how he's the one who ultimately reveals that the leader is a fraud (mostly through luck but still). So yeah, not bad but not great either. Just okay.

Blog Entries

what i like:

-the ending

-Homer watching Barney

-the leader landing on Cletus' property

-Batman! I mean, Leader!

-Homer's comments after watching the sects' movie, about his short attention span

good episode, just shy of 5/5. 4/5

To Professionalism! DarkDiamond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love this episode so so much! Quite unusual, but I like religion/cult based episodes.A+
    Zombie Simpsons - Season 26
    Clown in the Dumps - F The Wreck of the Relationship - F Super Franchise Me - D- Treehouse of Horror XXV - D Opposites A-Frack - D Simpsorama - D+ Blazed and Confused - D Covercraft - D I Won't Be Home for Christmas - D+ The Man Who Came to Be Dinner - C- Bart's New Friend - D The Musk Who Fell to Earth - F Walking Big & Tall - D

Family Guy - Season 13
    The Simpsons Guy - B The Book of Joe - C- Baking Bad - C+ Brian the Closer - C Turkey Guys - B+ The 2000-Year-Old Virgin - F Stewie, Chris, & Brian's Excellent Adventure - B Our Idiot Brian - B- This Little Piggy - D Quagmire's Mom - C

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

BRILLIANT jokes spewed throughtout the whole episode, excellent satire, nice surrealistic creep factor and contains one of the most unexpected and hilarious plot twists the show has ever done. Love this episode, one of my favorites!
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

"Nananananananana Batman! I mean Leader!"

5/5

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Kind of really forgettable and boring. 2/5

I loved it. So many good gags wrapped around in a great story idea. I'll use this special A to rate this episode! A and 5/5.

Blog Entries

on rewatch, this really is quite a naff episode. why are homer and bart at the airport? something very scullyish about this episode, but to be fair it has enough good moments to balance it out, although I would argue this is the first appearance of "jerkass" homer, in fact I think this episode is where it originally came from.

"who do you love now kids"?
    "Hoverbikes"!
    "...close enough"

a good moment. I'll give it a decent to strong 3/5

Thread Information