View Poll Results: Rate "There's no disgrace like home"

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • (5/5) Fabulous observation sir! Just fabulous!

48 25.81%
  • (4/5) I thought we were making real progress!

61 32.80%
  • (3/5) Be normal!

57 30.65%
  • (2/5) Some damned fool went around telling everyone that I loved that slimy goop!

17 9.14%
  • (1/5) These people are obviously freaks!

3 1.61%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: There's No Disgrace Like Home (7G04)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SimpsonFloyd View Post
    Horrible characterizations, some poor animation, and a bit dull through the second act

HOWEVER, the episode jumps from a D to a B after they get to Marvin Monroe's. Seriously, the last five minutes really carry the episode

Let's just call it the anti-Mike Scully episode

3.5/5, C+/B-
    Basically what I said before, it jumps from about a 4 or a 5 up to a respectable 8/15 in the last few minutes
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

Blog Entries

5/5, i thought more people might like this one, it is really funny. I do however think the scenes at Burns' are dull, but the rest of the episode is superb.

pulpa11

INTRODUCTION

Couch Gag: Homer pops out side of couch
    Chalkboard: I will not burp in class.

GOOD GAGS

The kids were fighting over which one loves Homer more, “no you love him more!”

Burns: “Make yourself at home.”
    Bart: “You hear that Dad? You can lie around in your underwear and scratch yourself.”

The t.v. is an acceptable supervisor.

Marge: “I don’t want to alarm anyone, but I think there’s a little al-chy-hol in this punch.”

Burns: “I’ve never seen such an obvious attempt to curry my favor.”
    Smithers: “Excellent observation sir.”

Marge: “Look! Napkins!”

Bart: “Whoa, look at this place…what a dump.”
    Homer: “It’s even worse, I trampled this poor sap’s flower bed.”
    Marge: “This is our house.”

Homer: “The answer to life’s problems aren’t at the bottom of a bottle, they’re on t,v.”

Marge: “Homer, couldn’t I pawn my engagement ring.”
    Homer: “That’s sweet of you but we need $150.”

The Simpsons at the clinic just abusing one another with bats and electricity.

CHARACTERIZATION

Lisa acting like an 8 yr. old and having fun with Bart is something that gets lost in later seasons.

ANIMATION

The swans being crabby was amusing.

Drunk Marge…haha.

T.v. dinners in front of the t.v. then on the table.

The crazy smiles at the Rockefeller-style dinner.

OTHER

I’m so glad they got rid of Dr. Marvin Monroe!

Scale Rating 1-10: Not rating first season

Accidentally gave it a 2 but I really meant at least a 3. I really enjoy the therapy scenes. The first act however was kind of dull. Overall a 3/5.
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253

It was a little thin but still good.... 4/5
    "The kids these days, they think comedy is dirty words. It's not, it's words that sound dirty, like Muckluck!"

- Krusty The Klown

I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

4/5. Solid episode. A better season one epsiode

Some fairly accurate characterisations here and there, with a quite enjoyable act three to boot. 3/5

Blog Entries

Another great episode to follow Homer's Odyssesy.

4/5 - B+

I REALLY enjoyed this whole episode. Right from the start it was pretty funny, with Marge and the punch, leading to her singing with the rest of the women. But the episode really went up when they started the shock therapy. Really great episode.

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

When I first saw this episode I thought it was the funniest thing I had ever seen especially the therapy and some scenes from the picnic but the re watch value on this episode isn't really there
    Last edited by Bart's treehouse; 07-15-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Was this the first episode ever written? Because compared with the Simpsons of today, the characterization was all wrong. Homer cared about the family’s sanity, like Marge of today would. Lisa was a brat, like the Bart of always. Marge would rather pawn the wedding ring instead of the TV, like modern Homer would. And etc, etc. What can I say? Choppy animation mixed with choppy story telling equals one uneasy half hour. It was almost a pain to sit through, until the Simpsons went to Marvin Monroe’s Office. The therapy was entertaining and even a little funny, and the shock therapy is just classic. 3/5

...and I facepalm so hard Little Nellie Kelly's Avatar

READ THE FULL REVIEW DOWN THERE!

|
    |
    V
    Last edited by Little Nellie Kelly; 05-21-2010 at 01:27 PM.

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is it the shirt that made Homer so gogettery this episode?
    And Marge's alcohol abuse starting this soon in the series?
    Now I'm usually not a big fan of shock-therapy, but really... I don't see any other solution for this family.
    Otherwise, they will never last for 20+ seasons.

And oh yeah, if your sole purpose of watching cartoons is looking at cutely drawn babyfaces, this episode is paradise for you.

Smile everybody, another great installment from a promising primetime cartoon series.

...and I facepalm so hard Little Nellie Kelly's Avatar

One of the Best Episodes Ever

I love this episode. It doesn't disappoint..well, except for the characterizations, but overall, this episode is fantastic. Certainly not my all-time favorite, but it is in my top 10.

One thing that disappoints me about this episode has to be the characterizations; Marge would never get drunk blatantly, but it was, surely, hilarious. Lisa would never act like a brat just to rouse Homer's wrath, and Homer would never, oh God never, pawn the television set to maintain tranquility in his family. Nevertheless, this is a great episode.

First of all, I love Marge and Homer's "Family Picnic" outfits. Marge and Homer's striped shirts were great fashion for the couple.

Otherwise, the shock scene has to be one of the most iconic in the series. If you mention The Simpsons, someone will have to say "Remember that shock scene?" I've certainly had that happen quite a few times.

Overall Rating: 5/5.

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marge Bouvier View Post
    Otherwise, the shock scene has to be one of the most iconic in the series. If you mention The Simpsons, someone will have to say "Remember that shock scene?" I've certainly had that happen quite a few times.
    The scene is also featured on a TV in Die Hard 2.
    Probably the first reference to the Simpsons in a movie.

Ranks low on my list of the S1 episodes not for the dodgy characterizations which I can get past - it was the early days after all. However the story is dull and unengaging imo with no real memorable jokes or one-liners that I can think of. The episode of course as has been mentioned has the wonderful shock therapy scene which is enough for me to give it 2/5.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

3/5, a bit dull but I think the therapy scenes was one of the first great scenes in the show's history.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's No Disgrace Like Home

This was a big improvement over the last episode. This one had a fair amount of jokes not laugh out loud jokes but a few funny moments and a good plot that was well executed. This is probably my favourite season 1 up to this point. It may not be up to other season one classics (Krusty Get's Busted, The Tell-Tale Head and Life On The Fast Lane) but it still delivers some laughs (Mainly in the 2nd act) Over all this episode was good but not great but it shows signs of more better episodes to come

Score: B-, 3.5/5, 7/10, Good

Blog Entries

I liked the scene of the therapy...Otherwise I found this episode a little boring, and Homer and Marge are very weird in this episode : Homer sold his TV and Marge drunk a lot... Also I appreciated the Dr Marvin Monroe, his voice... I give it 12/20 => 3/5 again...

Banned

Very good, 4/5 or 8/10

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Poor characterisations do dent my enjoyment of the episode but overall this was okay. Unlike others I thought this episode started stronger than it finished and I didn't really care for the famous shock therapy scene. But there are moments of greatness here and there - I especially liked the devillish depiction of the family in Homer's fantasy sequence, "Why don't you BOTH shut up", and the perfect family at Burns' picnic. And I will say that the characterisations don't bother me that much, certainly less so than Homer's characterisation in Homer's Odyssey. So I'll say C+/B- and a 3/5.

A hilarious episode. The electric shock scene has to be one of the funniest moments ever to grace television. And the plot, although dull in some parts, is very well crafted.

However, there are some problems with it. Marge leaving Maggie unsupervised is something she would never do. And Homer pawning the TV. Even though his character was just being developed, he would never give away TV. As Homer once said, it's his 'Teacher, mother, secret lover'.

Grade: 8/10

Banned

5/5

"Replace Dog-With Son"

This episode is great! When I was a kid and The Simpsons first came out, my whole family watched it together and it was the first show we all liked together. Nostalgic feelings come up with this episode, especially when they start shocking each other. From that moment, my family and I knew this show was going to be special. We avidly watched as a family for the first 5 seasons, unheard in my opinion that a family will continue watching a show without losing interest. That's how great The Simpsons were and this episode launched that sentiment. (in my mind at least) Solid A. I even have an animation Cel from this episode with Homer and Marge shocking each other. One of my favorite Simpsons memorabilia pieces.

Strong throughout, from the party at Mr. Burns' mansion, to the looking through the windows to the excellent conclusion at the family therapy (truly classic scene). The writers seem to be churning out extremely solid stories without effort. Characterization a bit strange (Homer worried about them being a dysfunctional family, which is something that would be out of character in the following seasons), but I do like when they are grounded and relatable, so no complaints. Others, like Mr. Burns, are spot on. Rough animation and attention to the drama instead of just focusing on the comedy, as usual in 1st season.

Grade: A

Blog Entries

This episode is okay, but if it were Marge who would of done the things Homer did, it would of been better. I really like the song Marge sings when she is drunk it's really catchy The shock therapy scene is also very entertaining.
    Last edited by Teddy; 02-23-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Stonecutter

Saw this the other day for the first time in years. Liked it much better. The odd characterisations didn't bother me; on the contrary, it was quite refreshing. Only could S1 get away with sloppy characterisations. "Fabulous observation sir! Just fabulous!" is one of the best lines of the series for me. There's nothing outstanding about this episode in itself, but being a Season one episode, there's something fascinating about it. I miss 1990s Simpsons! 4.5/5

Banned
    Blog Entries

Great debut for Marvin Monroe. 4/5

Blog Entries

I agree with most of the comments on characterisation, except: I didn't think Lisa was being that bratty (and anyway, the first season is presumably chronologically first, even on a floating timeline - it wouldn't surprise me that a slightly younger Lis would have less self control), and as for Marge getting drunk, I saw it as a reaction to the other mothers being so snobby and making her uncomfortable. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I thought both of them behaved quite reasonably given the context and having the (then) responsible Homer around to cover for things. So those parts didn't bother me. I also thought the engagement ring line from Marge was really just to fit the joke in, though I agree that normal Homer would never pawn the TV or even call his family out on being abnormal. With that said, I actually really like Season 1 Homer, out of the context of the show itself. Honestly I can't imagine that given the release year, an episode with indignant Marge taking control of the sloppy family and pawning the TV (that her husband paid for) would've been as socially acceptable as it is today - they wanted the workaday man to like this show, and I really feel that it was about Homer as the (chronically inept) straight man back then.

Really does show a lot though. I almost feel like I've watched Bart and Lisa age up slowly from 10 and 8 to around 13 and 11 over the years, despite the floating timeline suggesting otherwise. Pity they never did what South Park did in raising the assumed age slightly over every decade, which would've kept the show fresh and made other differences acceptable.
    "Because you watched House, we think you'll enjoy... Fuller House."

Party time... excellent...

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

Mid 3/5, but has one of the best moments of the series with the shocking chairs.

Thread Information