Page 9 of 135 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast

Thread: The General Discussion Lounge

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The word pop up a great deal in the various review threads, not to mention the other random ones scattered about. Its not really a big deal, its just I find myself seeing it used on here a lot lately.

Quote Originally Posted by IAMHOMER
    I was just thinking, is Homer Bad Man the most universally loved episode in the history of the series? I haven't heard a bad or even average word said against it. Most of the other established classics have at least one or two detractors or people who say "Meh. It's overrated". I think only Homer the Heretic comes close in that respect (Last Exit to Springfield has probably had more lukewarm 'overrated' comments, at least on this site).
    People on the internet tend to be more jaded and cynical in their opinions. Considering the fact that Last Exit To Springfield won the top 100 on NHC and is no. 1 on both SNPP and EW's top 25 list and how often it wounds up as no. 1 on many peoples' list of favorite episode, its quite understandable that it often has the "overrated" tag attached to it.

Homer BadMan is almost universally loved but it still receives the comment "overrated" (although to lesser degree than LETS).

Outside the internet, I think LETS, Homer Badman and Homer The Heretic are all universally beloved.

I'll actually say the most beloved simpsons episodes (on NHC) are Homer The Heretic and Lisa's Substitute. Homer The Heretic is too funny to be criticised and people doesn't even dare to criticise Lisa's Substitute for fear of getting ripped apart by almost all of GD.
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

Wow, this thread hasn't been posted in in awhile. Anyway, I was just watching Marge Be Not Proud for maybe the fifteenth time(one of my top ten) when I noticed two subtle jokes in there

- When Marge enters Bart's room to do the tuck in time thingy, her hair is too tall for her to enter to it bounces back and fourth quickly as she enters

- When Bart sees the security guard in the chair, and it is talking to him, instead of saying Cahpiesh(sp), he says catfish. This is a cool little detail to show Bart still doesn't understand the word Cahpiesh(spelled wrong yet again).

I love it how you can notice all these little detail in a Simpsons episode everytime you watch it over and over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

Speaking of quiet little jokes, I love this bit from Itchy and Scratchy land:

Bart: [German accent] Hey mouse...say cheese.
    [snaps picture; an Itchy robot collapses]
    With a dry, cool wit like that, I could be an action hero.

Soon afterwards,if you notice, Homer also very quietly proclaims "With a dry, cool wit like that, I could be an action hero." with his idea of dry cool wit being "Die,Bad Robots, die!"

Quote Originally Posted by Imperciph
    Speaking of quiet little jokes, I love this bit from Itchy and Scratchy land:

Bart: [German accent] Hey mouse...say cheese.
    [snaps picture; an Itchy robot collapses]
    With a dry, cool wit like that, I could be an action hero.

Soon afterwards,if you notice, Homer also very quietly proclaims "With a dry, cool wit like that, I could be an action hero." with his idea of dry cool wit being "Die,Bad Robots, die!"
    One of my favorites from that episode too. I&S Land often gets overlooked because it's in season 6, and people automatically think of Homer: Bad Man or Homer the Great, but it's really an awesome episode. In my top 25

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

- When Marge enters Bart's room to do the tuck in time thingy, her hair is too tall for her to enter to it bounces back and fourth quickly as she enters
    Just another great animation/sound effect thing used almost only in seasons 7 and 8, iirc
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Blog Entries

Have any of you noticed that sometimes at the begginnig credits of some epiosdes they go straight to the couch gag, after Bart's Blackboard, missing Marge at the supermarket? Weird. I've noticed it happens a lot in seasons 6, 7, 8.
    :gatorpee:

Quote Originally Posted by Collision Course
    Have any of you noticed that sometimes at the begginnig credits of some epiosdes they go straight to the couch gag, after Bart's Blackboard, missing Marge at the supermarket? Weird. I've noticed it happens a lot in seasons 6, 7, 8.
    Its a theory I have:

Many post-season 4 episodes ran longer than their permitted air-time (especially under Mirkin). So they took some of the time off the opening sequence to allow more plot development and gags. Which is also why seasons 5 and 6 have so many deleted scenes : many are quite good but cut due to time constraints.

Which is why Jean also has used the full title sequence only 8 times according to snpp so far as episodes are a lot shorter than it was previously to allow for extended commercial breaks.

On other hand, Scully has used the full opening seuqence far more than Mirkin, Oakley and Weinstein or Jean. Weaseling out of having to deliver few more jokes, eh?

Pin Pal

On other hand, Scully has used the full opening seuqence far more than Mirkin, Oakley and Weinstein or Jean. Weaseling out of having to deliver few more jokes, eh?
    Well, when so many of the jokes from the Scully episodes miss their mark, perhaps that's a wise decision...

Speaking of Scully, his brother and fellow writer on simpsons, Brian Scully has landed a job to to write and executive produce the show centering around comic upstart John Caparulo's ("The Tonight Show With Jay Leno,") post-college life in a small Ohio town.

Source: http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.ph...8-015425-3085r

I just watched Cape Feare on dvd for the first with commentary and I am amazed at how much the writers tried to fill the required time : they used the full opening sequence with an over-long couch gag,several scenes of people appearing to be attempting kill Bart, quite a number of jokes going on for a long amount of time: Homer Thompson and the unforgettable rakes (looks like Family Guy writers took some cues from this episode ). I am also grateful that they cut the ending with the song of Jasper and Grampa riding in a boat; that would have ended the episode on a bad note.
    Last edited by Imperciph; 12-02-2005 at 03:27 AM.

back in black

Its a theory I have:

Many post-season 4 episodes ran longer than their permitted air-time (especially under Mirkin). So they took some of the time off the opening sequence to allow more plot development and gags. Which is also why seasons 5 and 6 have so many deleted scenes : many are quite good but cut due to time constraints.

Which is why Jean also has used the full title sequence only 8 times according to snpp so far as episodes are a lot shorter than it was previously to allow for extended commercial breaks.

Your theory has been proven correct. DVD commentaries mentioned that while Mirkin and Oakley/Weinstein liked to put a lot of focus into the episodes themselves (which is why I like seasons 5-8 best), Scully liked to keep the episodes short and the openings long. The reason, IIRC, is to make it easier to edit for syndication - note how many episodes in seasons 11 and 12 are identical except for shortened openings and very light compression.

More trivia: The only season where all episodes were both cut and compressed for syndication is Season 7.
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

This week in my english class we had to give a four minute individual presentation about anything we wanted to. My teacher said to pretty much talk about your favorite thing. Well of course I chose to talk my all time favorite show.. The Simpsons.

Anyways, I talked about why I liked it, who my favorite character was, and yadda, yadda, yadda. Since, I knew a lot of people in my class were huge Family Guy fans I decided to say how without The Simpsons, there would probably be no Family Guy and how I thought The Simpsons was better than Family Guy.

Well, today some girl talked her favorite show, which happened to be Family Guy. She mentioned how she thought Family Guy was better than The Simpsons and I just shooked my head and there were some guys in my class who were like, "uh oh!! You just made her (me) mad! there's gonna be a catfight" I probably would have started arguing why The Simpsons was better, but I didn't feel like getting into it since I didn't want to rude in the middle of her presentation and we didn't have much time left in class and other people still had to present.
    that makes me stupid, and you a whore

Pin Pal

I just remembered the other year I was trying to find out the episode where Tony Blair makes a guest appearance, which as many here know already is in the Regina Monologues. Does his appearance in any way redeem this episode (which by all accounts is one of the worst of the Jean era) or does it not really make any difference?

I just remembered the other year I was trying to find out the episode where Tony Blair makes a guest appearance, which as many here know already is in the Regina Monologues. Does his appearance in any way redeem this episode (which by all accounts is one of the worst of the Jean era) or does it not really make any difference?
    Well I haven't seen this episode in a long time. His appearance was not particularly chuckleworthy to me but I did find Homer's line after Tony Blair "goes off to greet jamaicans by flying to them with a jetpack" to be quite funny:

Homer : I can't believe we met Mr. Bean.

Commenting on other guest star appearances in that episode, I hated it when Lisa pointed out "Look, its J.K Rowling." Sir Ian Mckallen's appearance was quite enjoyable but they ruined it by dragging the Macbeth gag too long.

Stonecutter

The guest stars spoilt the episode - it was just used as an excuse to have a load of famous English people on The Simpsons. This country may be small, but you don't see loads of celebrities walking along the street.

Yeah and we really had the cream of Britain, suprising not to have Howard from the Halifax adverts there.

He's undeniably real George Cauldron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simpsons Forever!
    This country may be small, but you don't see loads of celebrities walking along the street.
    It's not really that for me, it's just that they were so poorly used. Tony Blair, I thought, was alright. A little stilted, clearly scripted, but okay. I might be the only one here who didn't find the Mr Bean line particularly funny.
    J.K. Rowling, I didn't like. I think I can move on without justifying why. Sir Ian McKellan, I found funny. The MacBeth joke went on and on, but it works a little like the rakes in Cape Feare, and like what someone on the commentaries said (I think it was James L. Brooks. If it wasn't him, it was Matt Groening, and if it wasn't him, it may have been Sam Simon or George Meyer): The longer a joke goes on, the funnier it gets, until it sort of stops being funny. Then it carries on and becomes even funnier.
    Evan Marriott, I don't really know who he is, but still at least he wasn't namedropped. That would've been quite embarrassing.
    Jane Leeves, we could have seen more of from her. One of the main flaws with The Regina Monlogues is that Edwina was only mentioned in the first act, and then almost completely forgotten about until the end. Shame, they wasted a character with some potential there, methinks.
    Aside from Tony Blair, they really could have picked some better people to represent our glorious country, no?

Like Mr Cauldron, I wasn't even bothered by so many celebrities but they were used excruciatingly poorly. Hearing Lisa say, 'Look it's J.K Rowling, author of the Harry Potter novels' could be the clunkiest, clumsiest piece of expository dialogue I've ever heard on the show. And the ensuing dialogue was pretty awful as well. The whole episode just makes me cringe, everything from the animation to the story, to the celebrities, to Homer running into the Queen. It's a truly hideous episode.

Pin Pal

I was also wondering what so many Simpsons fans seem to have against vacation episodes? The ones from the classic era at least are decent (I must be the only one who thinks that Bart vs Australia is actually better than both Mr Lisa Goes to Washington and Itchy and Scratchy Land). Is it because, at worst, vacation episodes seem to smack of laziness on the writers' part (being little more than the basic premise of 'let's put the Simpsons in a foreign country and let the story write itself')?

Don't ask me why, but I actually really liked that episode. The celebrities were clearly just stuck in there for ratings, but all of them were funny, aside from J.K. Rowling. And I agree about Lisa's line when they first meet her, easily one of the worst lines in Simpsons history

I was also wondering what so many Simpsons fans seem to have against vacation episodes? The ones from the classic era at least are decent (I must be the only one who thinks that Bart vs Australia is actually better than both Mr Lisa Goes to Washington and Itchy and Scratchy Land). Is it because, at worst, vacation episodes seem to smack of laziness on the writers' part (being little more than the basic premise of 'let's put the Simpsons in a foreign country and let the story write itself')?
    Post classic Era vacation episodes:

Thirty minutes over Tokyo
    Kill The Alligator and Run
    Simpson Safari
    Blame it on Lisa
    Dude, Where's My Ranch?
    The Regina Monologues
    Goo Goo Gai Pan

Apart from Thirty Minutes over Tokyo, all of them are considered horrible by Simpsons fans (and even that is often given a C grade by prolific reviewers.) KTAAR and Simpson Safari are routinely brought up as worst episodes ever. And regardless of how much you liked Bart vs. Australia, all the episodes that followed it were based on the same formula :unrelated first act, easy jokes involving that country's stereotypes and customs that are not particularly clever and innovative, and ending with OFF getting into some sort of trouble with authority or law. Add to that mix the post classic era problems of weak gag writing,bad characterisation and excessiveness of badly executed wackiness and we have an episode thats completely formulaic and lacking of any sharp satire.

I actually think Blame It On Lisa is quite good. The rest are all useless though. Goo Goo Gai Pan should have been great but it completely failed to exploit its promising premise. And it had some of the worst gags of Season 16.

And a rather pointless Simpsons related article but I thought it was mildly amusing http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...01/ixhome.html
    Last edited by Veryjammy; 12-08-2005 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy
    I actually think Blame It On Lisa is quite good. The rest are all useless though. Goo Goo Gai Pan should have been great but it completely failed to exploit its promising premise. And it had some of the worst gags of Season 16.
    Something I did like about Blame It On Lisa and Goo Goo Gai Pan was that those actually used a believable premise to set up OFF's trip to the country. But as you said, Goo Goo Gai Pan had some of the worst gags of Season 16. In fact, I was disappointed they didn't have any Homer and Selma interaction which could have provided far more laughs than pain gags.

And for Blame It On Lisa, I do like that it had some decent references to brazilian culture (the football obsession was spot-on). But a bad line by Lindsay Naegle (I'm a sexual predator) repeated shock gags, and especially Bart being so oblivious to Homer's kidnapping and the ending with him dancing inside an anaconda makes this episode quite a mediocre outing. But yes, I feel its the post-season 10 best vacation episode.

edit: VJ, that article is hilarious.

juice with the people prince jafar allah's Avatar

i hate blame it on lisa. the gags represent the worst in late dabf-early eabf style laboured, strained humor, with stuff like homer and the nun and bart dancing in the snake. so much of the "satire" just obnoxiously regurgitates bland brazilian stereotypes without putting much of a clever spin on it (which was done to a better extent, though still not enough to make it a good episode, in thirty minutes over tokyo) with stuff like the woman distracting homer while her kids rob him, playing football with the luggage, conga line, etc. the only gags i really liked were the government painting the rats, which was actually quite sharp satire, and homer being relieved he didn't have to pay for the taxi when he got taken hostage.

Stonecutter

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbles
    Is anyone else getting sick of reading the word "mediocrity" on No Homers?
    Yeah, I'd say that the word 'mediocre' is more used than 'mediocrity' though.

Stonecutter

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammed Jafar
    i hate blame it on lisa. the gags represent the worst in late dabf-early eabf style laboured, strained humor, with stuff like homer and the nun and bart dancing in the snake. so much of the "satire" just obnoxiously regurgitates bland brazilian stereotypes without putting much of a clever spin on it (which was done to a better extent, though still not enough to make it a good episode, in thirty minutes over tokyo) with stuff like the woman distracting homer while her kids rob him, playing football with the luggage, conga line, etc. the only gags i really liked were the government painting the rats, which was actually quite sharp satire, and homer being relieved he didn't have to pay for the taxi when he got taken hostage.
    I agree then there was always Bart not caring about Homer being kidnapped, haha how funny Bart knocking that lang (cant remember what it was now) out of his head becuase he didn't need it, and I find the Homer not really caring about being kidnapped a bit silly. It's okay but is full of dodgey jokes, and dodgey characterizations.

Blog Entries

The Simpsons Holiday DVD was the worst one yet. The only one I enjoyed was Simpson Safari because I had not seen it in ages. When I bought it though I bought it with the Simpsons in Las Vegas or whatever it was.

Stonecutter

Over the last few days I've seen Max Homerdrive, Wild Bart's Cant be Broken, Sundy, Cruddy Sunday and Marge Simpson in Screaming Honkers. Hadn't seen these in a while, I never thought I'd seen Yellow Honkers and then when I watched it all came back to me like I'd last seen it yesterday.

Wild Bart's - Pretty good but it isn't that great. It starts off a little slow for me, though quickly gets moving with the hilrious scene of Homer and friends in the school. I would of liked it at the end if Homer had remembered that it was him that thrashed the school and then kids would be free to be on the streets again. Anyway decent episode, the song can only be described as excellent. Some good jokes and I actually liked the slightly dodgey ending, though I still would of replaced it. B+

Sunday, Cruddy Sunday

So yes it had a load of pointless guest stars, no plot and really just trash. But I found it to be fairly entertaining and it provided a fair few decent jokes. C/C+

Marge Simpson in Screaming Yellow Honkers

A pretty funny episode but quite a typicall of Scully to have little explantion on why Marge went mad. The ending was a typicall Scully twist and hardly resolved the problem. C+

Max. Homerdrive

I actually quite enjoyed it. It may of been wacky, silly and poorly characterized but still threw a decent scattering of jokes and I felt the truck plot was quite entertaining. And Homer wasn't intenind of running the old lady over he was simply teasing Bart that the lorry would move out the way. The doorbell plot was quite fun in a weird way, but the ending of it was silly. C+

Some some good humour from the above 3 and kinda fun in a silly way but the characterizations and plot were pretty poor or poor. Wild Barts was very good but you just felt it could of been done better (not the song though)

Stonecutter

A C+ for "Maximum Homerdrive"? How could you possibly like it that much? It's one of the stupidest, unfunny and disgraceful episodes ever. A certain D- from me.

Thread Information