Page 52 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 4036

Thread: The General Discussion Lounge

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Pin Pal

I just saw Lost Our Lisa on sky one for the first time in ages... I actually laughed, hard and out loud most of the way through it. I love it, its classic.

What season is it? I have 2,3, 6, 7, and 8 on Dvd so it can't be any of them..?
    Quote Originally Posted by Homerpalooza, S7
    Billy Corgan: Hey I'm Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins. *extends hand*
    Homer Simpson: *shakes hand* Hi I'm Homer Simpson, smiling politely. *smiles warmly*

Blog Entries

It's season 9. It coulden't be 10 or 11 could it?
    :gatorpee:

Pin Pal

Quote Originally Posted by Not Affiliated
    It's season 9. It coulden't be 10 or 11 could it?
    Ah good.
    I will have to get nine for sure, when it comes out.

Sorry, I'm not good with seasons. I know what came before what and whats worth waching etc. Just don't like numbers.

Why couldn't it be 10 or 11? I know 11 isnt supposed to be very good but why not 10?
    Last edited by richardUK; 11-28-2006 at 01:46 PM.

Well, it's best not to ask really, considering that you asked the same question within a matter of days. Try SNPP for future reference (just go on the episode quicklist of something, press ctrl and F, and enter the title of the episode you're looking for).

Not waving but drowning Lady_Simpson's Avatar

I know what you mean, Richard, I always forget the seasons too.
    You want the truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth-handler, you. Bah! I deride your truth-handling abilities! - Sideshow Bob

Pin Pal

Quote Originally Posted by Adam R
    Well, it's best not to ask really, considering that you asked the same question within a matter of days. Try SNPP for future reference (just go on the episode quicklist of something, press ctrl and F, and enter the title of the episode you're looking for).
    Well sorry.

I'm a forgetful person. I don't do it on purpose to annoy, so don't get pissed about it. Hope no bad feeling .

Lady_Simpson; yay, we're muppets together! heh.

This may seem a little noobish of me, but I was just watching "Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment" and I just noticed for the first time in about 20 viewings that a plant that Marge brings home grows larger and larger and eventually dies when Homer is watching TV. Did anyone else notice that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog
    This may seem a little noobish of me, but I was just watching "Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment" and I just noticed for the first time in about 20 viewings that a plant that Marge brings home grows larger and larger and eventually dies when Homer is watching TV. Did anyone else notice that?
    How does everyone notice things like that?

I only started noticing it a few months ago after I read of it in the Complete Guide.

^ How have you not seen those episodes on tv yet?They are on channel 4 all the time.
    Where I live (Western Australia to be exact) the Simpsons reruns are on at 6PM, and for some reason almost every episode after "Lard of the Dance" has a higher rating than every episode before it, so they are not allowed to show them in that timeslot.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

That's the same here. Viewers have rarely seen those episodes, so they're much more likely to want to watch them. Can't blame them really. The reruns of season 16 on Fox8 on Sunday evening gets ratings that are pretty damn high for old episodes.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar
    The reruns of season 16 on Fox8 on Sunday evening gets ratings that are pretty damn high for old episodes.
    16? OLD? Please explain.

well, old as opposed to brand new. They are reruns for Australian television.

Only for those with Fox8. They've only aired once on free-to-air...

Pin Pal

That's the same here. Viewers have rarely seen those episodes, so they're much more likely to want to watch them. Can't blame them really. The reruns of season 16 on Fox8 on Sunday evening gets ratings that are pretty damn high for old episodes.
    have to wonder why..

they're not BRAND new, but they are shite. on the whole.

Sky one is pissing me off so much lately. Shows all the new ones over and over. I suppose that belongs in a different thread, though.

Blog Entries

Being a viewer without sky I hate having to see episodes from 1-8 on 4, unless when they show season 13 on Friday, but once they've finishing showing them, will they go to season 14 or repeat the whole 11 and 12 thing again? This really shoulden't be in this thread, but I really want to say here because more people come to this thread.

Simpsons psycological affect on kids

I went to a friend's house for Turkey Day recently. I noticed whenever I put in the Simpsons DVDs, the baby is no longer crying but quiet and moving his pudgy little leg up and down as he sits in front of the tube. Also, my friend's 2 year old girl stops running around the house and getting into trouble. SHe sits on the couch beside me and smiles and points. I wonder what sort of affect the simpsons show has on kids beyond the fact that it's merely animated? Could it be the color schemes used on the show? Such a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by richardUK
    they're not BRAND new, but they are shite. on the whole.
    How outrageous. I've only seen a couple of episodes that I can remember, I'm slowly working through them, but they're far from shite (especially when compared to season 17 and 18).

Are we talking about s16 here ? If so, s16 is far from shit. Sleeping With The Enemy, Fat Man and Little Boy, Mommie Beerest, The Heartbroke Kid, Thank God Its Doomsday and Home Away From Homer are all good episodes. All these episodes have a nice character-based conflict, feature tightly-focussed storytelling, have moments of inspired memorable humour, explore interesting topics : be it expanding on secondary characters or exploring potential scenarios with characters that have been built over the years (Moe finally making an overt attempt toawrds Marge, Homer and Flanders finally realising what roles they play in each other's lives, Bart's slight obesity finally catching up to him). Also, s16 produced some moments that can be remembered and revered as highly as any great classic era moments ("The Last Supper" homage at the end of Thank God Its Doomsday, the redone SSimpsons opening with a fat Bart in The Heartbroke Kid) and unlike the recent trend of using well-done set pieces which do not connect to the main plot as well, these are perfectly synchronised with the actual plot.

Season 16 easily had the most stable bunch of holdovers, started well with Mommie Beerest, had a really dull midseason producing bland-o-rama's like The Seven Beer Snitch or botched character studies like On a Clear Day I Can't See My Sister, Mobile Homer and Future-drama (I know this one was and is still debateable), but picked towards the end and was producing good episodes on a consistent basis. Had the show continued its momentum it had gathered from the end streak of s16, it would have been as close to the classic era as it was possible and would not have been in its stagnant stage today.
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

Yeah, if we were getting season 16 quality right now I would not be on the verge of quitting watching. Season 16 had it's problems but it had a lot of great episodes and was a very good show in general. And it didn't feel as goddamn stale as what we've been getting lately (though I guess it would definitely feel staler if it had aired later).
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

You know, the sudden drop off in quality really makes you question what caused it. Have any of the more pedantic Simpsons watchers noticed a change in credits, like Ian Maxtone-Graham (or someone else) getting a more prominent role in season 17 which caused the drop?

I think the big elephant in the room is definitely the movie. I don't read the credits that carefully, but I know some people have observed less involvement from some of the staff that's involved in the movie (including Matt Selman and Swartzwelder). I know the creators have said over and over that the movie won't affect the show, but I don't for one second believe them because that's just not how it works...when the same people involved in the show are doing the movie something has to give and they simply aren't both going to get their fair share of attention. Even if they truly feel like they can do both and keep the quality as high as possible, that simply isn't ever true. And remember that Jean is heavily involved in both...the showrunner job is already busy and now he's doing it on both things. At some point one or the other is going to suffer.

And truth be told I'd rather the series suffer than the movie. A whole season or two can go by and be more or less forgotten, but the movie is going to represent the series forever. There's so many episodes now, but there's no movie yet....it just kind of has to be good because it can't just be forgotten later. I just hope the trailers and clips we've seen don't indicate the level of quality, or that both the movie and show have suffered instead of just the show.

Blog Entries

I think The Simpsons Movie is their way of saying, "Ok, this show has jumped the shark, let's just end it and see how much money we can make with this movie", and most people are falling for it.

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You know, the sudden drop off in quality really makes you question what caused it. Have any of the more pedantic Simpsons watchers noticed a change in credits, like Ian Maxtone-Graham (or someone else) getting a more prominent role in season 17 which caused the drop?
    Well from like season 13-15, I belive, Selman and Maxtone-Graham had Co-Executive Producer credits, this became Executive Producer credits in Season 16, and for the HABF's Carolyn Omine and Tim Long and maybe someone else got Executive Producer credits, as well as Selman and Graham. So I guess that means, the work load is being shared out, which means that the rubbish Omine and Long have more involvement, and the very fact that your getting a shared responsibility with more people, surely means the episodes are going to lose some of their focus and distincness.
    This is just speculation, so I could be completley wrong, but they could be having situations where, Jean heads the first re-write, Omine does another one, and then Long heads the one after the animatic, so you'd be getting people, who could have very different ideas for the direction the script should be taking, with no one around to assume absloute control.
    It certainly would explain last season.

Just want to point out that this is one of my favorite character exchanges between Homer and Ned :

Ned: Homer, I'm afraid I've got a bone to pick with you.
    Homer: Look, if it's about the camcorder, I lost it, okay?
    Ned: I'm talking about your, heh heh, potty-mouth.
    Homer: What the hell are you talking about?
    Ned : All of us pull a few `boners' now and then, go off half-cocked, make asses of ourselves. I don't want to be hard on you...I just wish you wouldn't curse in front of my boys.
    Homer: Oh, come on, Flanders. I don't complain about your... ... moustache!
    Ned: What's wrong with my moustache?
    Homer: Makes it look like you got something to hide.
    Ned: What!?
    Homer: [privately] People are talking... Lots of people.

Just a brilliantly written sequence in which "average" man Homer Simpson and "ideal" man Ned Flanders play off each others personalities. Notice how the whole exchange is just one great joke after the other, but how it seems like a completely natural and organic piece of dialogue that can take place between any two neighbours in real life.

I'm with you Imperciph. I love that scene. Definitely one of my favorite Homer/Flanders exchanges.

Come to think of it, that whole swearing plot is one of my favorite subplots ever. I still laugh at Homer's tetanus shot line every time I hear it.

Dr_Nick_MD

I think The Simpsons Movie is their way of saying, "Ok, this show has jumped the shark, let's just end it and see how much money we can make with this movie", and most people are falling for it.
    I think the show jumped the shark years ago, for me it was that ep with Gabriel the social worker, Vegas Mommy saved the ep a little but still "I hate that Gabriel so much"

It is a great exchange, but this how I imagine it would be done today.

Flanders: Hey, Homer can I ask you something?
    Homer: What, stupid Flanders?
    Flanders: Would you mind not swearing so much.
    Homer: What the hell are you talking about? You know damn well I don't swear! I oughta kick your ass!
    Flanders: Homer, you're doing it now

(Homer then proceeds to run around like an idiot and babbling, for what seems like 5 hours.)

Flanders: I don't have time for this, I have to go egg an abortion clinic.

Hehe

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AeDo-xc4Fko

I really don't know what this is, but it is just so lovable. :silly:

It's really not 'lovable'. It's just some weird voice over of a Metallica song that's not even in English.

Quote Originally Posted by grissom
    It's really not 'lovable'. It's just some weird voice over of a Metallica song that's not even in English.
    How is "not even in English" a bad thing? :angry:

Anywho, yes, it doesn't make any sense, but it is a catchy little pop-punk song. Plus, it is mocking Metallica.

Thread Information