Page 4 of 135 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast

Thread: The General Discussion Lounge

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Second. Worst. Episode. Ever.

Stonecutter

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy
    Watching the Season 6 DVD is scaring me. I think I might prefer Season 7 which will then cause the very fabric of the universe to collapse in on itself. I used to love Bart's Comet but watching it just now it seems so very slight and inconsequential, and I can't say I laughed all that much. Same for Homer The Great, it didn't really feel like anything much happened. Homer Badman and the THOH seemed as good as ever but, ohhhh this is going to be such a humiliating climbdown......
    Starting to get Simpsons overkill again Jammy:P?

I've started to give up ranking now. I chop and change too much!

I saw Bart's Comet the other day, I thought it was great, but the plot was a tad disjointed.

SCS is underrated, but it's still not great. I think I rated it a C+ or a C- when I last saw it.

Well that might just be the best proof that all episodes get better with age

I dunno about overkill D_B, I'm just finding it a bit weird watching all these Season 6 episodes and not finding them that funny. The problem could well be that they were the episodes I watched by far the most when I was younger and I've just killed them. Some, like Fear Of Flying, I hadn't seen for years but I could still anticipate every line, every joke. Or it could just be I've gotten older and, in many ways, the Season 6 episodes seem quite lightweight, obvious ones like Sideshow Bob Roberts, Lisa's Wedding and Homer Badman aside (incidentally my only A+'s for the season along with the THOH.)

And funnily, it's also made me appreciate some of the Jean episodes more, when you would have thought it would have done exactly the opposite. The Girl Who Slept Too Little, for example, seemed to me to be a good episode, but not up to golden era standard. But after watching The Season 6 set I think it could have slipped in there in terms of quality, obviously though there are stylistic differences in the writing. It would have been in the bottom half of the season but I think it's good enough. Likewise, some of the other better episodes of Season 16 - The Heartbroke Kid, Thank God It's Doomsday, There's Something About Marrying, Sleeping With The Enemy - are just as good as some of the Season 6 episodes imo.

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Barney

I've started to give up ranking now. I chop and change too much!
    I've been thinking that, it's become a chore, agnosing over certain things, is it an A- or an A etc and it doesn't quite make for a true reflection of a seasons quality anyway, I still like to do it for new episodes though.

I still grade, but I don't put that much thought, or really any thought. I think there are some episodes that I've given a different grade every time I've rated the episode.

Junior Camper

Charles Napier's warden character has gone to the planet Stroggos.

I picked up Quake 4 today, and one character talks exactly like the prison warden from a few Simpsons episodes. I checked the credits in the manual, and the voice is done by Charles Napier.

If at one point he says "This end's for holdin', this one's for beatin'", I'll be very happy.

Blog Entries

Everthing's nicer without grading. I prefer to watch an episode and not grade. Just saw I D'oh Bot on DVD. Despite being a pirate, it has some great graphics.
    Now watching season 15 there are several episodes I don't like, apart from Regina and Bart Mangled Banner. Simple Simpson? I don't like this one. How can they do a plot about a superhero? Nice spiderman references but it isn't great. My big fat geek wedding is also crap. Apart from the musical there was no good fun. 2 Skinner and Krabbabel episodes are enough. I really hope they don't do a fourth. How could Edna fall for CBG?

I don't know why so many people hate Regina Monologues, it's actually pretty good in my book

Blog Entries

I think it's because the jokes aren't funny there's nothing in the way of characters interacting and what little plot there is is stupid, illogical and boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Binky
    No, it's not "Axel F" at all. It's something composed by Alf Clausen that's meant to be similar, yet sounds so very different.
    It's definitely the same music used towards the end of act 2 of "Radio Bart" and I remember reading somewhere it was Axel F used in "Radio"...
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C- Woo-hoo Dunnit? ​B

The Regina Monologues is patronising, stupid, disjointed, unfunny, looks like crap, features no inventiveness in the jokes and has some of the worst guest stars ever

Well the only episode I have killed by overwatching is Cape Feare. I loved it so much the first time I saw it, I kept watching once in two days.

Now I can't even sit through as I have almost memorised it. It used to be in my top 5 now its barely in my top 50. Instead, I appreciate Sideshow Bob Roberts more than ever now.

I am also guilty of overwatching Homer: Badman too, but its so good I like it more everytime I see it. I got an interesting story to go with it.

You see, I had taped it when it was shown in April. I had my GCE A Levels this May and June. To calm my nerves before leaving for the exam, I had made it a tradition to watch Homer: Badman everytime before an exam. It really worked and by the grace of Allah, all my exams were fantastic.

What do think of that ?
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

Pin Pal

Bart's Dog Gets an F - an episode often found in people's pre-season 9 bottom 10 or so lists, but why? I would have thought that anyone who has owned (or knows someone who owns) a disobedient, destructive or not very intelligent dog (or any combination of the three) of the type SLH is, would surely empathise with the stress and strain that this kind of pet can bring to a family household, not to mention the misery it can bring to the younger family members when they have to face the prospect of their beloved animal being sent away, or worse, put down. However even if you found the SLH scenes boring or overabundant, there is also a sweet Marge/Lisa subplot, which blends in nicely with the main story unlike other similarly structured episodes. Marge and Lisa as a rule get on well, but apart from this episode we seldom see their relationship explored in much depth. Tracy Ullman's cameo as the ultra-posh English dog trainer Miss Winthrop is hilarious, and probably one of the show's best takes on the British vernacular (probably helps that she herself is British, and we Brits often like to poke fun at our own race). The characterization overall is very good - not once is Homer too stupid or unreasonable, and for once comes out with one or two sensible things, and throughout the episode it is shown that the Simpsons despite their usual differences and disputes clearly still love and respect each other and won't let a difficult pet get in the way of that.

So why does this episode constantly get a low rating?

I think that dog episodes in general are not that good. Dog of Death is the only one that really worth mentioning. Bart's Dog Gets an F is the worst of all. None of the dog jokes really worked, and I really didn't think there was much of a plot. Homer acted much stupider than he did up to that point, and it would have been ok if it was funny, but it wasn't. The subplot never did anything for me, other than Lisa including Mr. Largo on the quilt.

Where's the money shot? Reverend Lovejoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Imperciph

You see, I had taped it when it was shown in April. I had my GCE A Levels this May and June. To calm my nerves before leaving for the exam, I had made it a tradition to watch Homer: Badman everytime before an exam. It really worked and by the grace of Allah, all my exams were fantastic.
    I have a simular method. Whenever I'm stressed, I usually think of my favourite scenes from episodes I've seen recently, I feel better.

Thanks to CousinMerl for this great sig!

Meh, why is this dead?

Well its time for me to raise another question.

What episodes of Season 16 fell short of your expectations? I mean to ask what aspects of the show were you expecting to improve but it did not?

Blog Entries

It didn't really improve that much at all on average so I was quite dissapointed.
    It's still too irratic there's still too many bad episodes the quality of plot handling characters and humour still goes back and fourth in quality, which makes me conclude the writers aren't seeing any huge differences in quality between each episode and they think there all good, So even though 16 has been a slight improvment, it's been quite dissapointing because I've basically lost all hope of the show ever getting anywhere near classic standards.
    Last edited by Postmaster; 10-24-2005 at 04:36 PM.

Pin Pal

Am I right in saying that most on here believe that 15 is the best post-Scully season?

I actually like season 16 more than most, worst episode was clearly Pranksta Rap though. Felt like it belonged in season 11, but even then it still had some good points.

Banned

I have watched the Season 6 DVD and No Homers, yes I mean this site, has been mentioned in the commentary on "Homer the Great". You can check it out yourself but to help save a lot of time, I'll tell you what they said about us as soon as I can.

-1,150th Post!-

back in black

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Peter
    I think I'll start a poll on it to see; I've heard 13 and 14 as well as 15 from members here.
    You may have noticed I haven't started the poll yet; that's because my sister needed to use the computer, as she does frequently every night. This is also why I write a lot of messages in the afternoon and not "primetime", so to speak.

I'll start the poll today, assuming I can work here without disruption.
    Last edited by Handsome Peter; 10-27-2005 at 02:13 PM.
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

I think most people believe season 16 is the best post-Scully season. But I've heard all of them as being the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by ItchyScratchy100
    I have watched the Season 6 DVD and No Homers, yes I mean this site, has been mentioned in the commentary on "Homer the Great". You can check it out yourself but to help save a lot of time, I'll tell you what they said about us as soon as I can.

-1,150th Post!-
    No need to. It's been mentioned on this board.

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by ItchyScratchy100

-1,150th Post!-
    I assume everyone must have known, would I be right in thinking the 'a.k.a. the "worst show ever weekly" forum' was added because David Mirkin suggested that was the new name?

Stonecutter

A humorous photo of Matt Groening at a Rough Draft Studios Halloween party:

jeez, matt must be really hammered to be wearing a veil.

Pin Pal

where the picture of rich moore in a dress

Bumpette

I just noticed an interesting phenomena.

Everytime a season is released on dvd two things happen :

1. Many members start to say "Best Season Ever."
    2. Other members realise that season is overrated and is a vital point in the "decline"

I have browsed through all the retrospective threads.

After Season 4 was released, many members started saying "best season ever". Although few members stated they don't like it as much as they remember it and criticised it of mainly being "a collection of jokes."

Season 5 is always a controversial season around here.There are those say its the funniest season while others consider it to be a decline after 2-4. However after it was relased on dvd, more people list it as being worst of the classic seasons.

Its the same thing with Season 6. Look at the retrospective thread : People like VeryJammy and Fuzzy have realised that its not as good as they remembered while many others are hailing it as "best season ever."

This post is not meant to challenge anyone's opinions but I would like to ask
    :

Wh does the same thing happen with EVERY season?

Blog Entries

People pay more attention to new releases, infact, I would have never seen Homer vs Patty & Selma without season 6 dvd.

Season 6 Top 6

1. Sideshow Bob Roberts
    2. Bart of Darkness
    3. Round Springfield
    4. Lemon of Troy
    5. Bart's Comet
    6. I & S Land

Try doing a top 6 for season 6.

Thread Information