Page 3 of 135 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The General Discussion Lounge

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

That review is nonsense. There is no episode in Season 5 that is completely unfunny from start to finish. And I really don't think 'Worker and Parasite', funny though it is, could be considered the intellectual peak of the show. And there were probably more cutaways in Season 4 than 5. He sounds like an old-school fan, which is fine, I myself consider 2-4 to be the absolute peak of the show. But for him to then compliment Deep Space Homer, excellent though it is, reeks of hypocrisy. I'm a bit drunk so I can't rip into that review as much as I'd like, but I disagree. Very very much so.

can't talk; coming down Lizard Queen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy
    That review is nonsense. There is no episode in Season 5 that is completely unfunny from start to finish. And I really don't think 'Worker and Parasite', funny though it is, could be considered the intellectual peak of the show. And there were probably more cutaways in Season 4 than 5. He sounds like an old-school fan, which is fine, I myself consider 2-4 to be the absolute peak of the show. But for him to then compliment Deep Space Homer, excellent though it is, reeks of hypocrisy. I'm a bit drunk so I can't rip into that review as much as I'd like, but I disagree. Very very much so.
    If you're drunk you should rip...rip it, rummy!

As long as we are posting interesting reviews from Amazon.com,here is another one for you guys to dig into:

"The decline begins in earnest, August 18, 2005

Reviewer: M. A Oberly (Columbus, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews

Season five of The Simpsons was the first season that was noticeably inferior, with lots of 'jokey' episodes, thin plots, and inane celeb appearances (by this time, it was apparently 'hip' for celebs to make appearances on the show), but season six was the start of a precipitous drop. There are a number of episodes in this season which would fit right in with season eight or nine, or any other mediocre season. In particular, 'Sideshow Bob Roberts', 'Lisa on Ice', 'Bart vs. Australia', 'Round Springfield', and 'Lemon of Troy' are serious stinkers, virtually absent of laughs, or any genuine emotion.

I do like a few of this season's episodes, especially 'Lisa's Wedding' and 'Lisa's Rival', but these are isolated standouts in an overall mediocre stew. In fact, thinking of some of these shows depressed me so much I had to go back and watch some of season two, which is almost unrelentingly brilliant.

I don't really blame the writers, since five years is just about the most any show can sustain. The show was just starting to get stale by this time. It's baffling to read comments stating that season six is 'the BEST season EVER'. I personally can't imagine sitting through something as tedious as 'Lemon of Troy' ever again.

I saw another reviewer comment that The Simpsons didn't quite jump the shark in season six, but I disagree -- it jumped it with full Fonzie gear on, and thumb in the air."

Interesting, isn't it?

"Sideshow Bob Roberts", "Lemon of Troy" are stinkers?
    I believe this guy a hardcore old-school ATS simpsons fan.

"Lisa on Ice" is a very good and sweet Bart and Lisa episode which is somewhat damaged by a not so stellar characterisation of Homer. But its ending and the ending of "And Maggie Makes Three" is not full of genuine emotion?

If he says says "Sideshow Bob Roberts" is a stinker I am afraid he has missed the point of the episode completely. As a political satire it is second only to "Two Cars in every eyes,three eyes on every fish."

Mediocre stew eh?Sideshow Bob Roberts, Itchy and Scratchy Land, Homer:Badman are part of the series' best satires.Almost every member here agrees with that. And how is Lemon of Troy more laughless than Dancing Homer or Barts Dog gets an F?

And as a Grandpa episode,I prefer "Grandpa vs. Sexual Inadequacy" to "Old Money".IMO, its funnier, has better gags and is more ambitious. It sports a very funny subplot with Springfield's kids and attempts to flesh out Homer and Abe's relationship and does quite a decent job of it. And as far as I can remember, even alt.tv.simpson's Matthew Kurth gave it a good review.

There was no guest-star extravaganza as in Season four's "Krusty gets cancelled" in Season six.

Honestly, these kind of reviews such as "absence of this, overpresence of that" makes me think "Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show" was really a counter-attack to these fans.

And he says he does not get why Season 6 is being hailed as the best. He needs to understand not everyone is going to have the same requirements as him for enjoying the episodes. Majority of the current tv-viewers prefer a more gag-centric show. The popularity of Family Guy is a perfect example of that.Which is why Season 6 is hailed as the best season along with 4 and 5 rather 2.
    Last edited by Imperciph; 10-14-2005 at 11:33 PM.
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The thing is I'm fine with these negative old school review viewpoints, but it's their inconsistency, If they were to say season 4 was the first real step down with lot's of episodes focusing on wacky humour and cutaways over subtle character based stuff then that's all fine and good but their opinions are just all over the place and don't seem to follow any logical patterns.

Blog Entries

I think Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass is a bit underated. I enjoy this wacky episode, it's not really a good episode, but I always find it enjoyable.
    :gatorpee:

This thread was made for such stupid tidbits as this:

I have finally got the That's A Paddlin joke in The PTA Disbands. I never got it because when I first saw it I thought he was telling a story about paddling in a canoe which didn't make any sense, and that stuck with me everytime I saw it. But now I know better, and feel very stupid as well.

On a related topic:

I finally got the "No- soap radio" gag in "Homer The Heretic". Pretty stupid of me, isn't it?

That Veronica Vaughn..... Ryan_'s Avatar

Not really.. it took me a long time to get that one too

What is the deal with the 'thats a paddlin' joke?

samsa

Actually I want to know what the no soap radio joke is supposed to mean

Stonecutter

I want to know where that joke is even said.

stanford, bitches (bitches referring to the bitches at stanford, not you)

Quote Originally Posted by Binky
    I want to know where that joke is even said.
    Homer has a "No Soap Radio" in the shower in Homer the Heretic, which was pointed out in the commentary.

The joke is not said. In "Homer The Heretic", while Homer is bathing in his bathroom he turns on a radio which has the title "No soap, radio!!."

It means there is no "soap" on the radio. Also, here soap does not mean the stuff you use to wash or bath with.

Edit: Do'h! Seems I never got it.
    Last edited by Imperciph; 10-16-2005 at 02:09 AM.

stanford, bitches (bitches referring to the bitches at stanford, not you)

Quote Originally Posted by Imperciph
    The joke is not said. In "Homer The Heretic", while Homer is bathing in his bathroom he turns on a radio which has the title "No soap, radio!!."

It means there is no "soap" on the radio. Also, here soap does not mean the stuff you use to wash or bath with.
    Hmm? No, I think you're thinking too hard. There's nothing to get, really. It's just a reference to a famous non-joke. You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_soap_radio

Back but still forgotten

Its a refrence to that non-joke and all but it's also funny in the sense that thers a radio in the shower {a water and soap proof radio in the shower}
    Oh....you better believe thats a paddlin

Just watched Homer:Badman and marvelled in its sheer brilliance.

It was satire like this that used to make OFF so great. All the social commentary made in that episode still holds true even in these days.

The manipulative nature of the media, the excessive reaction due to Homer's alleged crime, the media circus that ensues after Homer's disastrously edited interview, the shots taken at various programs such as Hard Copy and even David Letterman, Marge's brilliant social observation "You know, the courts might not work any more, but as long as everybody is videotaping everyone else, justice will be done." and how in the end Homer does not even learn anything from his predicament and insteads believes in TV again make this episode one of the best ever.

Meh, I guess this episode deserves a separate discussion thread on General Discussion. How about you guys make one and PM the GD Essay dorks to come and discuss it to greater detail?

Pin Pal

Sorry to start another topic so abruptly, but has anyone noticed the 80s style music when Burns and Smithers are carting away the barrel of toxic waste in Marge vs the Monorail? Is it a reference to something?

Quote Originally Posted by IAMHOMER
    Sorry to start another topic so abruptly, but has anyone noticed the 80s style music when Burns and Smithers are carting away the barrel of toxic waste in Marge vs the Monorail? Is it a reference to something?
    It is the song Axel F played in the movie Beverly Hills Cop. Although, I am not sure if it was made specifically for the movie, or if they just bought the rights to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

Stonecutter

No, it's not "Axel F" at all. It's something composed by Alf Clausen that's meant to be similar, yet sounds so very different.

No.

Just checked. It's definetly Axel F or a parody of Axel F.

Sorry to post again in this thread but I felt like posting something which I found to be relevant in this thread only.

Season 2, by many members here, my self included, is considered to be the most intellectual season of the show with many complex emotional and satirical episodes.

But is it completely devoid of "Just for fun" episodes too?

I just watched "Brush With Greatness" and I think it is very very funny, right on par with the Season 4,5,6 gag-fests. If it aired in Season 4, there would have been smoe cutaways added and if it aired Season 5 or 6 it would have just contained some surreal gags.

I am posting this because many think that Season 2's humor is just character based but this is also chock full of great gags :"Can we have a pool Dad?" is one of the best this show has ever done, Homer's subplot to lose weight is as hilarious as "King-size Homer". There is some great Burns and Smithers interaction too. And who won't find Burns' final painting not funny?

Discuss.

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

but of course, dead putting society, bart the daredevil, the way we was, brush with greatness, brother can you spare two dimes, three men and a comic book, blood feud are all fun episodes that aren't particulary demanding on the brain and they have their cutaways, wacky gags and fantasy sequences that would easily fit into season 4. Seriously from these episodes only The Way We Was and bart the daredevil have any sequnces of emotional development without any jokes but no more so than some Jean+Reiss, Mirkin and Oakley+Weinstein episodes.
    Last edited by Postmaster; 10-17-2005 at 03:57 AM.

Blog Entries

Yep, season 2 has some of the best gags, not just the scene in Bart the Daredevil but some others, I can't name any now.

By the way, does anyone here like an episode that lots of people hate? Dispite it's hate I love Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass, it's not great ok, but fun.

There's several episode no one likes that I do. Hail Mary Pass, Burns Verkaufen Der Kraftwerk (not really hated but the average grade is only like a B, deserves an A- at least), The Trouble With Trillions, Mom and Pop Art, and a few others.

Watching the Season 6 DVD is scaring me. I think I might prefer Season 7 which will then cause the very fabric of the universe to collapse in on itself. I used to love Bart's Comet but watching it just now it seems so very slight and inconsequential, and I can't say I laughed all that much. Same for Homer The Great, it didn't really feel like anything much happened. Homer Badman and the THOH seemed as good as ever but, ohhhh this is going to be such a humiliating climbdown......

Quote Originally Posted by James@S
    By the way, does anyone here like an episode that lots of people hate? Dispite it's hate I love Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass, it's not great ok, but fun.
    I think I am the only one on this board who actually likes the Fat and the Furriest, Very underrated episode imo.

Also, i just observed something kind of strange, my top three seasons all contain one episode that I dislike.

Season 6: Yet Another Simpsons Clip Show 3/10
    Season 7: Homerpalooza 4/10
    Season 5: Homer likes Flanders 4/10

Hmm, it's very odd. Anyway, I am think of putting season three in as my third favorite season on my ranking. I don't know, I am pretty torn right now.

Forgot to mention Fat and The Furriest, I like that one as well

can't talk; coming down Lizard Queen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James@S
    By the way, does anyone here like an episode that lots of people hate?
    I like Sunday, Cruddy Sunday. People seem to hate that one.

Back but still forgotten

As do I, I found SCS very funny.

Where's the money shot? Reverend Lovejoy's Avatar

I don't have anything against SCS myself.

Thanks to CousinMerl for this great sig!

Thread Information