Page 19 of 135 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119 ... LastLast

Thread: The General Discussion Lounge

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Trilogy of Error's was stupid because it did make sense, it's not like there were huge gaping plot holes that stretched credibility too far.

I thought SCS was ok actually (that ending not the rest of the episode) in a weird for sake of weird sort of way and it was actually calling back to the vincent price stuff earlier in the episode, so it's sort of a payoff to that.

The Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore ending sucked. Everything after the two hugged would've made a great syndication cut.

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by E-I-E-I-Moe
    The Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore ending sucked. Everything after the two hugged would've made a great syndication cut.
    Oh yeah definitely. That was one of Bart and Lisa's best moments in the entire series, I have no idea why they felt they had to cheapen it with the cut out.

Really, it could of been like...Mother Simpson ending touching but it just sort of ruined it. Its still one of my favorite episodes but it really was sad they did that.

Blog Entries

Is Homer Ned Flanders' friend? In "Viva Ned Flanders" Homer helps Flanders like he does in "When Flanders Failed", so are they still friends?
    :gatorpee:

They have sort of a love/hate relationship. Sometimes they're friends, sometimes Homer hates Flanders.

I watched Lisa The Vegetarian the other day and noticed a weird animation goof.

The alarm thing on the wall looks like it's floating in thin air.

I think the friendship between Flanders and Homer is one of the more potentially interesting friendships on the show.

gimme a break dad Sloppy Jimbo XOX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grissom

or attached to the wall ;-/
    signature

It's not at the right angle. It should be sideways if it's attached to the wall, which is why it looks like it's floating. Obviously it's attached to the wall

(Annoyed Grunt)-rienne!

The 'gay for Lenny' thing is a complete load of bullshit. If they actually wrote that into a storyline I would boycott this show. I don't think there have been any other references to Carl's wife, but it doesn't matter. They're not gay.
    I know that this was from a few days ago, but I just recently finished watching Secrets of a Successful Marriage and I noticed something....
    At the point where Homer's class is getting up to leave the first time around, there is a black woman who says to Carl, "This is terrible." Might she be the fabled Carl's wife? To my knowledge she never speaks again and we never see them as a pair again, but if it were a Successful Marriage course, might the pair of them attend to have a "successful marriage?" Any takers on this theory?

That's sure to be his wife. Carl mentions his wife in Sunday, Cruddy Sunday.

I saw New Kids On The Blecch the other day. If you took out the N'Sync appearence and gave it a better ending, it would've been alright. That has got to be one of the worst guest appearences ever, probably second only to Kid Rock. I miss Bill and Josh era guest stars, when they used intresting characters for their voice and not the 'in thing' which makes the episode look really dated.

An argument against critisizing new episodes that is often heard is that it needs time for the episodes to grow on you. I can't completely agree with that, Season 11 was 6 years ago and I still don't like it. However, I find myself caring less about the bad latter Scully years.
    The current Jean era actually angers me more, although I still like it overall. It's just that while Scully had stories like "Homer becomes...", "The Simpsons go to...", where it doesn't really matter (at least for me), if it turns out bad, Jean has stories like "Homer finds out that Abe isn't his father" which have so much more potential. And if the potential isn't used like it could be and probaly would've been in the Old Days, I find that sad (I was particularly disappointed by "Road to D'oh-Where").

What do you think?

To be fair the Scully Era wasted a lot of golden plots too due to the same faults the Jean Era has :too many storylines crammed together in one episode, unrelated first acts that go on for too long. And unlike the Jean Era, almost every non-Homercentric episode in the Scully Era featured him in a zany subplot which distracted from development of the main story.

For example, in Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder, what could have been another Moe Baby Blues was mixed together a practically laughless "Homer gets famous" plot and a tacky "Homer trying to commit suicide" plot culminating in an unsatisfactory outing.

Faith Off is another one. A potentially great satire on faith healers is ruined by an unrelated first act that takes too long to get into the main story and an unrealted third act act tangent which actually ends in the most god-awful way possible with a guys leg torn off.
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

A couple of weeks ago I was incredibly bored and read a bunch of guides and stuff about Twin Peaks. I never picked up on what that scene in Lisa's Sax was where Homer is watching TV and you can hear a man's voice say "You sure have good coffee here in Twin Peaks, and good cherry pie". Then you see the TV screen and a guy dancing with a horse. Then Homer says something like, "Brilliant, I have no idea what's going on." That's actually a really funny joke now that I get what it's referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by User 1.0
    Jean has stories like "Homer finds out that Abe isn't his father" which have so much more potential.
    I agree, I mean just look at the potential in:
    - Homer frames Marge for drink driving
    - Abe attempts to commit suicide and then becomes a matador
    - Bart is kidnapped and mothered by a monkey
    etc...

I think they both had a mix of good and bad potential. For every "Homer becomes a..." Scully had, Jean had a "Homer and Marge have marriage troubles" which IMO have less potential.

Where's the money shot? Reverend Lovejoy's Avatar

I heard somewhere that Matt Groening is planning to kill off Groundskeeper Willie and the Lovejoys. Tell me that's not true. Please.

Thanks to CousinMerl for this great sig!

It's not true. Better?

Quote Originally Posted by Imperciph
    To be fair the Scully Era wasted a lot of golden plots too due to the same faults the Jean Era has :too many storylines crammed together in one episode, unrelated first acts that go on for too long. And unlike the Jean Era, almost every non-Homercentric episode in the Scully Era featured him in a zany subplot which distracted from development of the main story.

For example, in Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder, what could have been another Moe Baby Blues was mixed together a practically laughless "Homer gets famous" plot and a tacky "Homer trying to commit suicide" plot culminating in an unsatisfactory outing.

Faith Off is another one. A potentially great satire on faith healers is ruined by an unrelated first act that takes too long to get into the main story and an unrealted third act act tangent which actually ends in the most god-awful way possible with a guys leg torn off.
    I feel very similarly. I still think its wrong to say that the show is out of ideas, because there's a ton of really great iplots still floating around the show. No matter how good an idea is its execution is what makes it great which is a bit of the problem with some episodes but the potential is still there.

super karate monkey death car Jakebert's Avatar

Today, I watched the end of Homer the Moe in syndication, and I have to say, it really bugs me that they had to waste my favorite band in one of my least favorite episodes of the show. Although, the parts with R.E.M. were actually alright. It's just the rest of the episode was horrible.

Blog Entries

I've got a question for anyone who watches The Simpsons on channel 4.
    Are you bugged they keep showing eps from seasons 11 and 12? There are some I haven't seen in the later seasons yet and it is buggin me, and to a lesser extent some in season 10. I don't have sky also so I have to put up with the same crap every day.

YES. Just look in the UK thread and we've been bitching about C4 not showing season 13 despite having the rights since last autumn.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam R
    YES. Just look in the UK thread and we've been bitching about C4 not showing season 13 despite having the rights since last autumn.
    Precisely. Join the club, we've got jackets.

Junior Camper

well in australia they show season 2-13 in the 6 oclock timeslot then usually start again, and show any new episodes on tuesday that really bugs me...i wish they show 14, 15, 16 in the 6 oclock timeslot.
    How Do You Feel About 45 Year Old Virgins That Still Live With Their Parents?

^Yeah, but at least you can get newer Simpsons without paying for it there. We've only got up to season 12, unless you want to pay about £40 a month (which I do, well not me, my Dad).

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Super Comic Book Guy
    well in australia they show season 2-13 in the 6 oclock timeslot then usually start again, and show any new episodes on tuesday that really bugs me...i wish they show 14, 15, 16 in the 6 oclock timeslot.
    It would be nice, but they can get much higher ratings if they save the semi new ones and show them in a 7:30 type timeslot. Besides, if you had Foxtel you'd get to see the newer ones fairly often (not often enough though).
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Do you know what bugs me? I have only seen one Scully episode, and whenever I hear blazing criticism of that era it only makes me eager to see those episodes, just to see how bad they are. The only episodes that play where I live are classic episodes and Jean episodes. As much as I hate terrible episodes of the show, I would like to see something truly awful, just so my opinion of Jean era, which I find abysmal, will improve.

It's not at the right angle. It should be sideways if it's attached to the wall, which is why it looks like it's floating. Obviously it's attached to the wall
    Yeah..shouldn't the top of the light have a straight edge on the side that's fixed to the wall? Because it's round the whole way around the light, it does indeed look like it's floating.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Quote Originally Posted by Adam R
    ^Yeah, but at least you can get newer Simpsons without paying for it there. We've only got up to season 12, unless you want to pay about 40 a month (which I do, well not me, my Dad).
    I know what you mean. I'm still trying to convince my family to get Sky, but we just can't afford it.

CheeseEatingSurrenderMonk ey Heub's Avatar

Probably not a goof, there's the exact same thing at the power plant in Burns verkaufen der the German episode and probably in others too.

Thread Information