Page 15 of 135 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565115 ... LastLast

Thread: The General Discussion Lounge

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

For me every A gets a 5, a B gets a 4, etc. I tried doing something else, but none of them really seemed to work as well

In all honesty it can depend on what mood I'm in, I suspect my grades and what I vote for on the poll don't always line up. For example I gave THOH 16 a D+ but voted 1/5 on the poll if I remember correctly. Technically I guess I should have voted 2/5, but I thought the premises were great and I was really looking forward to it and I was just so disappointed that I felt like voting for a 1.

As for A- equalling 5/5, I like to do that because otherwise I'd never have a chance to vote 5/5 on new episode polls

Same as Homer Jay. I keep it simple. The only thing I don't really like about my system is that the "C" grade can range from decent (C+) to bad (C-), so a 3/5 seems a little high when it's on the lower end of that scale. Maybe I'll just start making C-minuses 2/5s.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just to depart from the topic I started for a second.
    Can I just ask If Bill and Josh are reading this, did Bill actually turn up to the season 8 commentaries because he's only listed in 3 of them on the TVSHOWSONDVD page.

A's are 5/5s, B's are 4/5s, C's are 3/5s, D's are 2/5s, F's are 1/5s.

Although I did vote 4/5 for The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, so to make this grading scale work low A-'s can be 4/5s and C-'s can be 2/5s.
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C- Woo-hoo Dunnit? ​B Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion ​C+

Stonecutter

My system,

5/5 A+, A
    4/5 A-, B+, B
    3/5 B-, C+, C
    2/5 C-, D+, D
    1/5 D-, F

But like Veryjammy, I'm likley to vote 5/5 if it's an A-, as I hardly ever give out A's. But usaully, when I first see an episode I'm not totally sure of it's grade. so I usaully think A/A- or A-/B+, which would lean me into either voting 4/5 or 5/5. But if it were to be a clean A-, then the above info would come into contention. I also seem to rarley give Jean episodes below a C+. So if i saw something that was a C I might vote 2/5. But yeah, like Veryjammy says it depends on my mood. So in theroy it would be

5/5 A+ or A
    5/5 or 4/5 A-
    4/5 B+, B
    3/5 B-, C+
    3/5 or 2/5 C
    2/5 C-, D+
    2/5 or 1/5 - D
    1/5 D- or F

Bart, BartBartBartBartBart

My system... Just numbers. Look at my sig for examples...

95~100 Superb

90~94 More than good

85~89 Good

80~84 Average

75~79 Just below average

70~74 Eh....

65~70 UGH
    Quote of the week:

"I take a whiskey drink, I take a chocolate drink, and when I have to pee, I use the kitchen sink! I sing the song that reminds me I'm a urinating guy." -Homer Simpson (singing "Tubthumping")

See y'all in Yankee Stadium in real life.... maybe in 2016

Hmm... My system.... I can't say I've thought too deeply about it. But it's something like this:

5/5 = A+ A A-
    4/5= B+ B
    3/5 = B- C+ C
    2/5 = C C-
    1/5 = D+ D D-
    0/5 = F

Yeah, that's about right. So you can see where I'm coming from now.

Is having crush on Jessica Lovejoy a problem? :-O

Well she's not real, so yeah there may be a problem there

Quote Originally Posted by grissom
    Well she's not real, so yeah there may be a problem there
    That's it, I'm having #5 distressed signs of not having any chicks around me. :-O

Stonecutter

I wondering, with Season 10 being realsed next Summer (probably August) it must get a world of good, by the movie airing the previous month.

Also I was watching the commentry for Grampa vs. Sexual Indaquency last night. And (I think it was Mirkin) said about how the show gets crazier the longer it continues. It made me realise what a good gag and idea it was in The Way We Weren't when Homer goes "Back in the 50's, or 60's or maybe the early 70's"

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Barney
    I wondering, with Season 10 being realsed next Summer (probably August) it must get a world of good, by the movie airing the previous month.
    sales, or reception of episodes?

Stonecutter

Sales. Sorry should of stated that.

maybe they'll put out the dvd for the movie as quickly as they can so they can sell it with season 10 as a "SPECIAL MOVIE BOXSET!"

I'm hoping they release a super-edition DVD for the movie. Two or three discs, lots of production art, maybe a short documentary, deleted scenes, commentary. I mean it's a movie based on one of the most popular TV series of all time, it's not like they don't have much to work with in adding special features

it (the movie dvd) might even have one of those random little 'interactive' things.

but yeah, i'm expecting good things from the movie dvd.

I always get tired of watching DVD... (Yeah, even The Incredibles or all the Harry Potter series)

It's a best choice for me to watch random ones come out in TV

I'm looking forward to getting the movie DVD. I'm hoping that it'll have a whole lot of extras (like the ones specified above). I'm sure it will, as the DVDs of the seasons already have a lot, and since this is a really big deal in Simpsons world, I'm sure they'll put even more on it. I'm especially looking forward to the full length commentary. :silly:

Since someone (can't remember who, I think it was David Silverman), said that they would be tweaking the animation a little for the movie, I think that a cool extra would be an outlining of the changes they made. But that's just me.
    deuces on the ride

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoose
    I'm especially looking forward to the full length commentary. :silly:
    Me too, more so than the movie actually. I hope they decide put a few in too.

maybe they'll include a feature where you have to answer 5 super-nerdy questions and then you can record your own commentary.

^Again,
    I was just watching Bart Sells His Soul the other day, when Ned Flanders' line to Rodd came up referring to his birthday as his 'big 10-O'. At first I was confused, I wasn't sure what the joke was, but then it hit me. Rodd is 100 years old! Still, it would only be the second stupidest revelation involving the age of a Flanders.

I'm praying we'll get to see a filmed table read for the movie. That would be awesome.
    she didnt exactly read shrek the 3rd, which apparently exists as some sort of companion book for a pixar movie. no, this would probably take several minutes (perhaps 10), and would have ultimately depricated the shrek 3 cinematic experience

she merely looked at the book

she saw it, perhaps in the childrens section of a barnes & noble, registered it in her mind as being in existance, and filed it away for later as the subject for a post on BOOKS YOUVE READ. only she just looked at it. and it was shrek 3

in a way its the saddest post ive ever read

-toxic shock syndrome

on another topic, i was watching "the two mrs nahasapasapeemapetilons"...or however you spell it...and the subplot of homer in the retirement castle is pretty pointless. it lasts for about 2 scenes (some period of time that's not very long at least), and i think it could have been axed in favour of homer pretending to be a lodger or something so we could have more of marge pretending to be married to apu, which is what the episode was supposed to be about.

I was watching The 138th Episode Spectacular today with my sister and she pointed out something that's slightly odd, that I never noticed before. In the Good Night short, OFF wear their regular clothes when in bed. Seems a bit pointless to mention it, but it's quite odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless
    on another topic, i was watching "the two mrs nahasapasapeemapetilons"...or however you spell it...and the subplot of homer in the retirement castle is pretty pointless. it lasts for about 2 scenes (some period of time that's not very long at least), and i think it could have been axed in favour of homer pretending to be a lodger or something so we could have more of marge pretending to be married to apu, which is what the episode was supposed to be about.
    Did that episode need to be even more sitcommish ? It was doing great till they had cheesy sitcom twist of some guy pretending to be married to some girl while his parents came to live in with them. Had it dealt with Apu's dilemma in a Much Apu About Nothing manner, the episode would have been much better.
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

So I saw "MacHomer" tonight....I figured I'd enjoy it on some level, but wow....it's actually really, really good. The guy goes for about a half an hour straight with these voices (there is an "intermission", but it lasts about five seconds and turns out to be a joke), and nearly all of them are good or perfect. Some sounded a little off, and in fact Troy McClure had way too many lines considering that it just wasn't quite close enough, but most of them are great and it's astounding to watch the guy basically do this for that long (including on-stage theatrics) without so much as taking a breath between characters. And while it was occasionally hard to make out the dialogue, it's a pretty clever script too. It felt very Simpsonian, with lots of throwaway gags, pop-culture references (one of the biggest laughs combines "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch" with "Oh my God, they've killed Kenny!"), surprisingly good musical numbers, occasional obscure episode references, and even some self-deprecating humor. And the voices aren't just from Simpsons btw, the guy does spot on impressions of people like Sean Connery and even characters like Stewie. Anyone who's nerdy enough to visit this forum shouldn't pass it up if you ever get the chance. Not entirely perfect, but man oh man, it's so much fun.

Stonecutter

I was wondering what people think of the last 5 episodes of this Season. A hell of a lot of mixed reviews, except The Wettest Stories Ever Told. I havn't seen any of these 5 yet, but will being seing Kiss, Kiss on Sunday. But I'd be intrested to here some thoughts. is this Jean improving? Or is it only the last 3 episodes that have improved? or not at all?

Feel free to copy and paste,

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore
    The Wettest Stories Ever Told
    Girls Just Want To Have Sums
    Regarding Margie
    The Monkey Suit

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Barney
    I was wondering what people think of the last 5 episodes of this Season. A hell of a lot of mixed reviews, except The Wettest Stories Ever Told. I havn't seen any of these 5 yet, but will being seing Kiss, Kiss on Sunday. But I'd be intrested to here some thoughts. is this Jean improving? Or is it only the last 3 episodes that have improved? or not at all?

Feel free to copy and paste,

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore
    The Wettest Stories Ever Told
    Girls Just Want To Have Sums
    Regarding Margie
    The Monkey Suit
    Being as level as possible.

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore: One of those episodes I felt that could of been a lot better....but there's no point in drudging about what it could of been. For what it is, it was amusing. The sub plot with Patty and Selma was fun..but I feel like maybe the episode could of been better if it was left out to concentrate completely on Homer's plot. P and S's little sub plot could of been a half a whole episode on its own..but I think when a character goes halfway across the world we really need to concentrate fully on them. Highlights are a pretty nice film parody near the end, a Bollywood musical number (You know it has to be in there, I'm not spoiling anything. ), a blurb about a certain secondary character near the end I personally think would of made an awsome episode, and more of Burns being himself.

The Wettest Stories ever told: Truth be told...I didn't think it was horrible. It was just so bland, and honestly not really needed. It obviously feels like sort of a filler episode. The first segment was the blandest, second could be good varying from person to person, and last one was decent but could of been better done as a whole episode. All and all..the hype is sort of true sad to say.

Girls just want to have Sums: People are really divided over this one. I personally thought it was great, some thought it was terrible. The main gripe generally is that the introduction sequence went on far longer than it should...because the main story of this episode desperatly needed more time to both get started and unravel. The end is a bit awkward, but what I think is great about it is that it has some of the best use of the children characters that I've seen in a long time. Nelson, Ralph, Milhouse, Bart, Lisa, everyone was used wonderfully and while there's one single sub plot with the adults its very minor..which is good. All and all its an episode with all the makings of a classic that was sort of hindered by weird pacing. It could of been incredible, but as it is its still an enjoyable episode despite I think.

Regarding Margie: Most agree that it sort of lacked a certain punch, but generally I thought it was very well rounded. Nothing was too over the top and while one certain thing near the end sort of ruined the moment, it generally unraveled surprisingly well. Homer was very subtle in this as opposed to being too over the top, which was a very surprising and nice change of pace. All and all, well rounded...just didn't exceed anything in particular I think.

The Monkey Suit: This one is confusing for many including myself. Many liked it a lot, many thought it was terrible...passionately I might add. But like Margie it had no major fault, it just may have not been the best use of satirizing a current event, but it had great use of Ned as the villain you don't want to hate but just can't help despise. I have to agree that maybe the main problem with it is that we didn't see enough of the effects of the main dillemna in the episode..you'll know what I mean. Otherwise...very hard to tell you if it was good or bad because its so in the middle for me. I enjoyed it, I enjoy all Simpsons episodes but it was sort of awkwardly paced.

Generally, I feel from these past 5 episodes that the writing staff..after having gone through a minor reform with some new talent in there, is flexing their muscles in a way. A lot of these episodes had immense potential and were awsome in some ways, but sort of just iffy in other ways. Particularly, the use of the characters individually has greatly improved but the focus of the overall plot tends to get a bit clouded. If they maybe not try to include so much in one episode at a time, in order to allow the main plot more time to flower I feel episodes continuing on this trend could be great stuff.

Worst. Episode. Ever.

After looking at the Season 17 Information thread, I got thinking to the old T-shirt I had with the "The Monkey Suit" promo on it, and was reminded of my first ever viewing of The Simpsons.

I encountered it on BBC2, back in the old days, and I was about 6 or 7. The first episode I saw was, I believe, "Dead Putting Society". I had seen bits of the show on TV before but never really committed, I was used to child-friendly "cartoons" and The Simpsons definitely felt different.

I was taken aback by the colour and the voice work, it was a completely new viewing experience and I knew I would be a committed fan from then on. I always watched the show at 6 on the Beeb and bought the occasional compilation video, as this was back in the mid to late 90's.

This is why I can't be all that negative towards the Scully era shows, because when these episodes were relatively new when I got Sky One for the first time and this was my first encounter with brand new episodes, as in, episodes that I hadn't seen repeated on BBC2 64 times. The episodes have their faults and I don't need to go into them here, but episodes from seasons 10/11 were showing at the time that my comedy tastes were maturing and I was becoming a sarcastic, sardonic teenager with a dark sense of humour. The Simpsons hits that on the head so much.

So, I know you have probably spoke about this many times before, but when and how did you first encounter OFF?

What did you think when you saw the first ever episode? Did you get into it because of your friends? Do certain episodes remind you of special times in your life?

Feel free to discuss it, and thanks for sharing.

Thread Information