Page 13 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast

Thread: The General Discussion Lounge

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Disco Stu doesn't advertise

anyone ever notice....

when homer is flipping through the channels after stealing cable (season2), you can hear him go past an itchy and scratchy, and it the one from "marge vs. itchy and scratchy"......you know, "lemonade?.....please...you make really good lemonade..."

Yes.

Nah, actually I hadn't noticed it. But uhh, also I watching this season 16 episode the other day... the one where Homer starts walking and then Marge hits him with her car. Well in the background as the cars are going by you can see Don Brodka driving by. Anyone notice that?

Disco Stu doesn't advertise

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlandersMan
    Nah, actually I hadn't noticed it. But uhh, also I watching this season 16 episode the other day... the one where Homer starts walking and then Marge hits him with her car. Well in the background as the cars are going by you can see Don Brodka driving by. Anyone notice that?
    i don't think i did.

theres an episode when you see the tv in the background...i think late season 1...no later than season 3 when you see a news report about the babysitter bandit escaping, or wanted or something.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

It's probably a cheap recycling of character models, nothing important.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Or it could be a sweet callback to Season 1, one that I would love to see.

This didn't deserve it's own thread, so I'm bumping this one up.

Just a little tidbit.. a couple of nights ago on Conan O'Brien, Hank Azaria was on the show. Conan was talking about how in the writers room, he'd randomly shout out "JUBJUB" in times of silence. When it came time to name Patty and Selma's lizard, Conan said "How about... Jub Jub."

Heh, that's interesting.

Just my own thoughts : I have been watching a lot of season 14 lately and the show is really surprising me. I am seeing the weirdest gag writing ever : Moe proposing to Gil ,Moe kidnapping people, Moe liking animals, crabs ogling at Marge, Pie Sword, Homer fighting beavers, sex gags involving planes, Willie eating shards of glass, God eating fried chicken, Homer bleeding profusely from shaving. I am suddenly grateful the current season doesn't have such gag-writing.

But many season 14 episodes are really dramatic and ambitious in nature, esepecially the EABFs. Many of the episodes aim for character exploration and development. Several episodes are serious attempts at delivering satire and social commentary. Most of all, almost all episodes have one central theme running throughout no matter how erratic the storytelling is. For example, as much as C.E. D'oh changes its conflicts, the central theme of Homer trying to better himself continues throughout the episode.

It would have been best for the show if the writing staff decided to take the more ambitious and serious approach like they did with the EABFs now that they improved from their weird gag-writing season 14 days.
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

Quote Originally Posted by Imperciph
    Homer bleeding profusely from shaving.

if you're refering to when he was stoned and the blood came out like rainbows, i see nothing wrong with that gag. it wasn't played for "sick out" humor (like when homer's stomach was tore out) and was very short and to the point. it was funny because it didn't show the reality of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYerUncle81
    if you're refering to when he was stoned and the blood came out like rainbows, i see nothing wrong with that gag. it wasn't played for "sick out" humor (like when homer's stomach was tore out) and was very short and to the point. it was funny because it didn't show the reality of it.
    No, that was Season 13. I think he refers to this scene in "Helter Shelter" (which is still a S13 holdover, though).

Which episode was "Moe liking animals" by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Stud
    i don't think i did.

theres an episode when you see the tv in the background...i think late season 1...no later than season 3 when you see a news report about the babysitter bandit escaping, or wanted or something.
    The episode you're talking about is in season 2, "Bart's Dog Gets An F".

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlandersMan
    it's actually a season 14 episode, 'brake my wife, please'.
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C- Woo-hoo Dunnit? ​B Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion ​C+

Quote Originally Posted by User 1.0
    No, that was Season 13. I think he refers to this scene in "Helter Shelter" (which is still a S13 holdover, though).

You are correct : I am referring to Helter Shelter. And I think season 14 had the worst bunch of holdovers : a THOH with two of the most pointless and laughless segments, a wacky Homer adventure with guest stars (which ironically was the best) two very superficially empty character studies and an episode that was as bad structure-wise as KTAAR and Simpson Safari.

Quote Originally Posted by User 1.0

'Scuse me While I Miss The Sky.

As the lights are turned on extra bright it is shown Selma and Moe are making out. Selma says Moe lied to her and Moe says "hey, you're not that gorilla from the zoo either".

oh, you mean Moe liking animals...in that way. I thought you meant just liking them. You know, "Look at the cute doggy", and stuff like that.
    deuces on the ride

Wow, I just noticed that on Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass, Homer was called a "professional Jerkass" by one of the Jock Center anchors.

As for that episode, meh. Bad guest star usage in the sense that almost none of them had any memorable lines except for Yao Ming. Homer's characterization may have been intentionally over-the-top to satirise the increasing jerky trends of sports celebrities but that doesn't explain wacky and shticky moments like the scene with the football commissioner's office. Ned certainly much more hard-core than usual, but I understand he was put in Mel Gibson-like role. I enjoyed his films (though most of the parodies weren't particularly intellegent) and some social commentary on the increasing jerky trends of sports celebrities. The Mario gag was great too. However none of the dance moves were hilarious, Homer's plot was quite a chore to sit through and the episode sort of ended without any resolution apart from implying that Homer got ruined. However i enjoyed the public backlash that occured after the halftime show. C+

^ Completely agree with that review. :thumbsup

I'd give it a C-.

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've been rewatching the Season 7 commentaries and it got me thinking that maybe the release of this DVD has emphasised the flaws in the current season. I think most would agree s17 has been the worst or 2nd worst Jean season regardless but when the Season 4 and to a lesser extent 5 and 6 dvd's came out, a lot of people were suprised at some of the similarties to the show today - how wacky it was, some very loose plots, non sequiter gags, cutaways, how the staff seemed to go through phases of loving certain secondary characters. But these thing were toned down a lot more in season 7. Plots were really tightly focused and Oakley and Weinstein often discuss when it's appropriate to undermine emotion with gags and how they belive you'll find the episodes funnier if you're intrested in the story. So maybe it really made people notice the difference's between the show in the classic era and how it is today.

^Agreed, but want to add one more thing :

- This season has been really lacking in episodes with a more "serious" ton. Season 7 had plenty of episodes that featured a more serious, dramatic approach. Hell, even the generally light-hearted Mirkin seasons had quite a number of episodes in which the issue or conflict were dealt in a serious manner. Comapred to those seasons, serious issues are being dealt in an extremely light-eight and even silly matter. While in seasons 5-7 they actually had very serious treatment of certain issues (Xenophobia, Sensationalistic Media), this season serious topics such as assisted suicide are dealt with extremely lame jokes like "Die-pod" and the issue is being barely provided one scene or two. And this flaw is even more noticeable because the previous Jean seasons did have more "serious" episodes like A Star Is Born Again or even Fraudcast News. Such lightweight treatment makes satire less effective and ruins any dramatic tension it is supposed to evoke.

I've been noticing that too, which is really too bad, because The Simpsons used to deal with serious issues so well. And even when it was a rather silly episode (Like Much Apu About Nothing), it didn't deal with the issue at hand in a lame, unfunny way (like you said, the Die-Pod).

The Die-Pod is just one of the worst jokes I've ever seen on the Simpsons. There is probably worse, but that one is really pathetic.

The DiePod probably wasn't in the best taste, but I laughed at it anyway. It seems almost like a Family Guy joke, it's not something you'd normally see on The Simpsons. Either way, I can think of at least 4 jokes from the last episode alone that were worse than that

haha, cool. ^

anyway, I saw this at the Simpsons Folder, and I thought it was pretty cool:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...l+life&pl=true

Perfect for a phone prank.

Would I be right in thinking that today (5/5) is 10 years since Much Apu About Nothing aired and therefore Josh Weinstein's 40th birthday? Happy birthday Josh!

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well if you are right then, Happy Birthday Josh. I hope you find something more intresting to do on your birthday than read this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoose
    haha, cool. ^

anyway, I saw this at the Simpsons Folder, and I thought it was pretty cool:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...l+life&pl=true
    already been posted a billion times, but seeing the two side-to-side is pretty neat.

anyway, happy assumed birthday josh.

I just checked, it is Josh's birthday. As everyone probably knows, on the commentary for Much Apu About Nothing, they talk about it airing on his 30th. Also in the intro he says that the episode aired May 5th 1966 and then Bill corrects him, saying that that was his date of birth.

But All My Stuff Is There!

Hello, everyone!

Thanks for the birthday greetings!

So I'm now 40. That makes me 2 years older than Homer! And when I started on the show, I thought he seemed like a hilariously middle-aged guy. Help!

Anyway, you guys are great. talk to you soon,

Your fan,
    Josh Weinstein

Thread Information