Page 11 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast

Thread: The General Discussion Lounge

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I agree! the whistle rings gag made me laugh so hard. luckily i saw some at a arcade. I had to collect 20 stupid Whack-A-Mole redemption tickets to get the damn thing but it was worth it. Whrrrrrrrrrr!

P.S. I am not a crackpot. DKsimpson2's Avatar

does any one agree with me it would be cool to have the stonecutters ring.... and it would be cool to get (pop/soda) for free.

6 Months Gone, Still Hated. Wasteland's Avatar

Why must we hold reunions for every freakin' movie or TV show. It would be a horrible idea. It would cheapen both Star Wars and The Simpsons.

THIS HAS BEEN A FILMWAYS PRESENTATION!

I guess if any show were to manage to get all (of the surviving) core cast members of Star Wars back together, it would probably be The Simpsons....

But Star Wars jokes are already so easy, overdone, and trite that I don't really think anyone should do them unless they have something truly new to do (no, whoring out guest stars doesn't count). And anyway, even for this show the task would probably be impossible. Even if they just stuck to the core cast, I think too many of them would either have personal issues with other cast members (just assuming, since it's the case with so many ensembles) or would simply want to distance themselves from Star Wars as much as possible.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

DKsimpson2, I just merged a couple of your threads into this one. Necromancer is right, you were making a few too many, and a lot of those ideas didn't need a whole thread anyway. But they might generate enough interest for a few comments and such, so they were perfect for this thread (plus reviving the GD lounge might generate a little more, uh, general discussion here anyway).

Did my best to keep the last two pages as coherent as possible, but if the comments don't seem to match up with one another, this is why.

Quote Originally Posted by DKsimpson2
    they should make stonecutter rings. i think it would be a very cool way to comunicate to other fans. And its such a cool symbol.
    I'd like to have a ring with the No Homers logo on that you got sent from this site if you have a certain amount of posts.

Stonecutter

Something Veryjammy might be intrested in, if he still wants to,

I pmed Hydro asking him if he's going to do the best episode thing and I said if not can you give that idea you had. He gave me the idea, but never actually said if he was going to do it, though he did say that he wouldn't be around much. He also said he would post the idea somewhere in TGD. I replied saying here would be a good place and asked him if he wasn't doing it. He hasn't replied yet. If he doesn't reply after a while should I post his idea. I don't want to post it just yet as may get annouyed, not that he has copy writed it but you know!

Blog Entries

I can't wait til the next simpsons episode, I have a feeling it's going to be a good one.
    :gatorpee:

If anyone wants to read, I found a quite interesting review of the much despised Bart Mangled Banner on alt.tv.simpsons. Would anyone like to comment on it ?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...aec4f67796bd53

Quote Originally Posted by David Klesh
    Episode Review: Yes, yes, yes! "Bart Mangled Banner" was one of the best episodes in years. Every time I think that "The Simpons" is running out of steam, a gem like last night's episode comes along to
    reaffirm my faith.
    As I watched, my jaw dropped at the overall tone and theme of the
    episode. I did not expect a political satire, since the Simpons just
    hasn't "gone there" recently. From the previews of OFF going to jail,
    I was expecting a good show idea ruined by Homer acting stupid. "Bart
    Mangled Banner"'s detractors might argue that that's exactly what
    happened. I disagree. This time, the silliness was at the service of
    a larger satirical point. Sure, it was over the top, but sometimes
    satire has to be if we are to laugh at otherwise serious matters such
    as overzealous patriotism. Would there really be a town where
    everything sells for $17.76, or a "Government Knows Best Act"? No,
    but the satirical exaggeration makes us think harder about "Freedom
    fries" and the Patriot Act.
    In addition to the strong theme, there were all kinds of laugh out
    loud gags supporting it:

You want self-aware humor?
    Marge, after seeing a prisoner who has smuggled explosives: "I don't
    know why they put the real criminals in with the joke ones." (The
    writers acknowledge that sticking Michael Moore and the Dixie Chicks
    in there is over the top.)

You want edgy humor?
    Skinner: "I'm a veteran of America's only losing war..."
    Homer: "To date." (This is one of the edgiest things I've ever seen
    on this show. The writers probably don't really think that we'll lose
    Iraq, and I don't either, but I applaud them for daring.)

You want adolescent humor?
    City administrator: "We've lost the adult film awards!"
    Mayor Quimby: "Not the Boneys!" (Silly, sure, but it made me laugh
    out loud.)

You want bite-the-hand-that-feeds-you humor?
    Newspaperman: "We'll make the New York Times look like the New York
    Post! Or maybe make the New York Post look like the New York Times?
    I forget which one's the bad one." (The famously right-wing rant
    sheet Post, as well as FOX, are both part of Rupert Murdoch's media
    empire. I wonder what Rupert thought of this episode, or if he even
    saw it?)

You want classic rock?
    "One Way or Another" is a really cool song.

Before this turns into too much of a mash note (too late, maybe), I
    should point out some *minor* quibbles. I thought that the Italian
    Guy's (does he have a name? Or is he like Comic Book Guy, doomed to
    have only a descriptive rather than given name?) dancing after
    learning that he could sell pizza at an exorbitant price was dumb.
    And the bit with Krusty and the monkey didn't work for me. But that's
    small potatoes.

As the episode went to the second commercial, I thought, "They're
    going to mess this up, somehow. It's not going to end well." I felt
    like 'ol Abe watching Homer do gymnastics: "You're gonna blow it!"
    But I was happily mistaken. Having the family go to France ("We hate
    America tuuuu!") and then immigrate back was a great idea. There's
    also probably a sociological point in there about having to leave the
    country and break yourself down in order to really become part of it,
    but I'm probably giving the writers too much credit.

Then, with Lisa's speech while eating in Paris, I thought, "Ok, this
    is where they apologize and wave the flag a bit." She started out,
    "And yet...I miss America. It's a great country"... (here it comes, I
    thought) "...but mostly, it where all our stuff is." Starting out
    apologetic, changing direction and concluding with a paean to
    materialism. Brilliant.

The ending line was good, too...Marge's "I think I'm going to like
    THIS America." The America the family builds for themselves? The
    America where all our stuff is? The America that, love it or not,
    protects us all but is obviously not perfect? There's a lot of weight
    in the emphasis on the word "this." Best...ending...EVER! (Well,
    maybe not, but probably the best since Broadway Joe warned us all
    about the evils of vaporlock.)

I consider myself to be pretty patriotic. I love this country and I
    love what it stands for. But last night's episode really hit the mark
    in reminding us all what a climate of lock-step patriotism can lead
    to. No, the show didn't really suggest that it would lead to all
    dissenters going to jail. But that was the satire. It did suggest
    that it might lead us to cloud our collective judgement a bit. That
    was the point. Satire has its place in society, and congratulations
    to the Simpons for making us laugh, and think. "Bart Mangled Banner"
    rates an A+.
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

Quote Originally Posted by Adzzzzzzzzzz
    I'd like to have a ring with the No Homers logo on that you got sent from this site if you have a certain amount of posts.
    That would be awsome.

At first, the subject of BMB being good, made me laugh out loud. But when I started reading, I realised that no one has ever remarked about the satire of this episode and maybe it is a good satire in places (although I still found funny his liking of the ending). I don't agree with the article, but it made me think a bit. BMB is the worst episode in years, easily. If he likes the satire and don't care how stupid the plots are, maybe he should be watching South Park.
    BTW I can't remember, what episode is the vaporlock thing in?

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

^I could only read the first three paragraphs. This is another guy who thinks blatant satire is brilliant simply because it is satire and he understands it (see: fans of recent South Park episodes). I just watched the episode again to write something for the new R&R thread, and I realized there really is no satire there that an average joe, maybe under the influence of something, couldn't write. I won't bother going through all the plot points because there are too many, but here's an example. How hard would it be for some highschool kid to write a comic about a very conservative prison that contains Al Franken and Bill Clinton, and elmo for some reason?

Hmm...I guess I'm arguing with someone who isn't here anyway.
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzyWuzABear
    ^I could only read the first three paragraphs. This is another guy who thinks blatant satire is brilliant simply because it is satire and he understands it (see: fans of recent South Park episodes).
    Hmm...I guess I'm arguing with someone who isn't here anyway.
    Funny, but as I watched Bart Mangled Banner, I didn't hate it that much but thought that it was very stylistically different from classic simpsons satire. Then as I became more familiar with Sout Park I realised how similar the satire of this episode was with South Park's sledgehammer satire style. Perhaps that would explain why this episode was so universally hated when it aired because the execution of the underlying message was so heavy-handed and blatant.

However I have absolutely no doubt if this episode aired as as an episode of South Park it would have been hailed as a classic by the very people who ripped this episode apart.

Stonecutter

Cool stuff Imperciph. Can I or yourself post this in my rate and review thread in TVB?

He's said yes on MSN

bump

Since there's been, uh, lack of general discussion recently, I decided to bump this thread. (not a useless bump though)

Topic of discussion :

Everytime there has been a release of a complete season on dvd ,either

i) appreciation for it goes up and it becomes "best season ever"

or

ii) people start to recognise early patterns of "decline" and their opinion of the season goes downward.

For each of the released seasons so far, which ones have you appreciated more and which ones have you been disappointed by?

Stonecutter

I thought Season 5 was "meh" and when I brought it was a little dissipointed skipping between the episodes.

Sorry Imperciph, I know your a big fan but I really find Season 5 so, I dunno average. Many say it's a Season for humour and not plot, but I agree for the plot, but not for the humour sadly. Intrestingly enough two of my fav episodes are Season 5 holdovers (Bart of Darkness and Lisa's Rival) It's not bad, infact it's very good, but not by classic year standards. It's probably weaker than 8 for me. For plots, I'd say Season 6 is the most fun.

Blasphemy! Season 5 is a GREAT season, and an ingenious comedy exploit. But uhh, seriously, I love almost every episode, it's a very brilliant season, actually many of my all time favorites are from this season: Homer goes to college, Deep space Homer, The boy who knew too much, Cape Feare, Treehouse of Horror IV. Nothing short of brilliant.

6 Months Gone, Still Hated. Wasteland's Avatar

I never noticed this before, but during the opening sequence when Marge is driving into the garage about to hit Homer, it shows Marge driving a 2 door car with fins, but I have never seen her drive it during the series. Everyone has probably noticed this a long time ago, but I never noticed it until today when I was watching my DVDs.

How can you think Season 5 is meh for humour? Seasons 5 and 6 are practically identical in approach to humour, in fact I think Season 5 is funnier. I don't mind if people prefer Season 6 for having slightly (and I mean slightly) more ambitious plots, but I don't see how you could criticise the humour of Season 5 without criticising the humour of Season 6 as well.

and now i have slapped a king Mike Scully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Imperciph
    Funny, but as I watched Bart Mangled Banner, I didn't hate it that much but thought that it was very stylistically different from classic simpsons satire. Then as I became more familiar with Sout Park I realised how similar the satire of this episode was with South Park's sledgehammer satire style. Perhaps that would explain why this episode was so universally hated when it aired because the execution of the underlying message was so heavy-handed and blatant.

However I have absolutely no doubt if this episode aired as as an episode of South Park it would have been hailed as a classic by the very people who ripped this episode apart.
    Blatant "sledgehammer" satire can work fine; South Park usually does a good job of lampooning richly deserved targets (like the Ladder to Heaven episode, or the paris Hilton ep). The Bart Mangled Banner would probably be comparable with the worst South Park episodes, like I'm A Little Bit Country or parts of the Katrina episode, which just make the same old banal arguments without a clever spin. Bart Mangled Banner's satire mainly just felt very broad and cliche by the time it aired, and while I'm not particularly patriotic about certain things, a lot of BMB's heavy-handed commentary had me going "Wow, it's not really that bad". There were a couple good bits, like the Nash Caster scene, and the "Government knows best" act, but the episode sucked not because it was more blatant but because it was poorly written IMO.

Stonecutter

As I say Season 5 was very good. But compared to the glory years of 2-8 I'd say it was one of the meh Seasons.

Yeah? Well you can go meh by yourself.

Has anyone noticed how much they used Mr. Largo in Season 17 so far? I mean, he appeared like 2 or 3 times per season before and now he appears in 3 episodes in a row.

Stonecutter

Yeah and they used Dr. Loren Pryor again in See Homer Run - he hasn't been seen for years. I thought that spoilt his character, though, seeing as the voice had changed. They should have just come up with a new character. Speaking of which, when was the last time they made a new character who has appeared frequently?

^ I really don't remember any new character appearing frequently. As for frequently recurring minor secondary characters, I have no problem with them as long as their scenes are funny (such as numerous Sea-Captain appearances in season 4). Unfortunately lately overusing certain secondary characters in very similar situations in every episode (Cat Lady doing something with cats, Wiggum bickering with the cops about something stupid) has almost run these character dynamics to the ground. I would like some new character dynamics being introduced.

On another topic I saw Midnight Rx last night. I find it is a very, well, weird episode. It was definitely a "just a bunch of stuff that happens" but humour had a large hit/miss ratio. Some gags were gold (Canadian Flanders), some just bombed (most of the jokes in the first act) and some gags run on too long (Bipolar Krusty). Homer was a bit over-the-top in the beginning scenes but I appreciated a somewhat evil Burns. Loved the sleeping beauty parody and there was some great Flanders/Apu interaction (this is what I mean by new character dynamic).

But I didn't even get the ending with Homer having lumps on his neck. Can someone explain it to me?

Stonecutter

Burns gave free medicine to all his full-time employees, but made Homer a free-lance consultant, which is only part time. So, when he discovers a lump on his neck, he won't be able to afford the medicine he needs to treat it.

Stonecutter

So how far have us British people got with S7?

I've seen the intro, Home Sweet Home, Who Shot Mr. Burns (Part Two), Radioactive Man, a THOH segment, Lisa the Vege, King Size Homer and King Size Homer deleted scenes. Really enjoyable so far, though I have been slightly disappointed with the holdovers. (Worse than I thought)

Internet, eh? Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar

This Has Got To Be A First...

The First 4 people who have speaking roles in 2003's 'Our House' are Danny DeVito (Season 2's 'Oh Brother, Where Art Thou' & Season 3's 'Brother, Can I Spare Two Dimes' , Harvey Fiernstein (Season 2's 'Simpson & Delilah'), Ben Stiller ( Season 13's 'Sweet & Sour Marge') & Drew Barrymore (Season 12's 'Insane Clown Poppy'.

All appearing in The Simpsons over the years?

Is this some kind of record?

I've watched all up to The Day Violence Died without commentary and all of disc 1's special features. Will watch last two episodes and special features of disc 3 tonight. I haven't watched any deleted scenes yet because I'll watch the reel when I get there. And I'll go through again with commentaries afterwards and then again without with my younger sister, that's usually how it works. I'll bump your thread DB when I finish (unless anybody else does) to review all the episodes and the season in general. Maybe tomorrow or Friday.

EDIT: Disregard last two sentances (not including this one)
    Last edited by Adam R; 02-01-2006 at 12:29 PM.

Pin Pal

Thought you lot might want to listen to this:

http://download.lardlad.com/sounds/s...5/regina13.mp3

Also, does anyone agree that when Lisa is saying the much maligned line "Look, it's JK Rowling etc." she doesn't sound like Lisa at all? She sounds more like an overexcited kid in a bad Spielberg movie, especially during the words "Harry Potter books".

Thread Information