Page 10 of 135 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast

Thread: The General Discussion Lounge

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

E-C-DUB! E-C-DUB! Rancid Planet's Avatar

Just wondering, since I'm new here and all, is it in this board's opinion that The Simpsons are still a quality show justifying their own existence or is the lack of great episodes past season 9 enough to make you want them to put it to a stop? I mean there IS always the possibility that many will one day remember The Simpsons based on the average quality of the show over the course of all of it's seasons, not at it's peak form.

For instance I often state that Futurama is better than The Simpsons in one key way - The overall greatness of the show as a whole. Futurama started off very strong (the product of great planning on Mr. Cohen's part I assume) and didn't really last long enough to have a "down cycle" as some may refer to the last six or so years of The Simpsons.

Now does this mean I think that Futurama is the better show? Not really, as The Simpsons did more for me than make me laugh. If it wasn't for the success of The Simpsons I wouldn't have ever had Futurama to begin with, or South Park, or even freaking Family Dog for God's sake. I'm an animation fan and The Simpsons are the reason that any real time and effort was put back into primetime animation. So I say that The Simpsons is the most important show (to me) on tv.

But I still really love Futurama...
    Say, here is another site plug in some random sig that you will never actually visit in a million years! It's called Nintendo-Reloaded! Guess I'll never see YOU on our great Forums! Will I?

I believe the majority opinion of the board (although there is a significant minority who are very vocal about their dislike of everything past Season 9) is that the show is currently just about good enough to continue its existence. Most would certainly agree that 13+ are far superior to the dark dark days of 10-12 for a whole host of reasons but no-one deludes themselves that the show is, or perhaps will ever be, as good as 2-8.

Futurama isn't the better show because, even though it didn't have a prolonged period of downtime, it still had some pretty poor episodes in only its four season run and it didn't have many outright classics. Don't get me wrong, I very much like the show, but I think about 10 episodes at most could be considered truly great which is far less than the equivalent Simpsons seasons of 1-4.

Hey, I know it isn't the most popular opinion but I do feel that the four seasons of Futurama hold up against any random four seasons of The Simpsons. Of course I'm well aware that my opinion here is the outcome of my being a huge fan of certain styles of animation. Or rather I love when animation gets pushed to it's limits. Of course it actually HAS no limits so far as content goes but that's beside the point.

What I mean is that Futurama seasons 1-4 aren't as funny as any four seasons of The Simpsons but only too rare was the occasion when Bart jumped into his space ship and saw weird looking aliens. Visually, Futurama is a sci-fi/american cartoon fan's wet dream. So that's why I think so highly of the show. That and it's dark enough to make you uncomfortable humor. Which admittedly was really started by The Simpsons, but as I said earlier, that is exactly why I feel that The Simpsons is the better show overall. Overall compared to any other show actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Planet
    Visually, Futurama is a sci-fi/american cartoon fan's wet dream. So that's why I think so highly of the show.
    Well Futurama's main source of humor is lampooning of cliched sci-fi concepts or putting an innovative spin on traditional sci-fi plots. And it does that perfectly.

Unfortunately that sort of humor does not appeal to all of us. In terms of characterization, humour and plot, Futurama never came off as anything above a wacky sci-fi comedy from its first few episodes.Its characters were bland and schticky (Fry is an average american beer-drinking idiot loser, Bender is a loveable in-your-face rascal, Leela is a kick-ass captain who sometimes feels lonely). And when it attempted to do emotional plots, it often came off as sappy and manipulative (I-Roommate for example). However by the start of the 3rd season, it overcame all those shortcomings and produced some great emotional character defining episodes and nice satires which I would say are on par with classic simpsons. But even from those seasons, Futurama showed an inconsistency Simpson never knew in the classic era :Is there any classic Simpsons era episode that is as bad That's Lobstertainment, A Pharaoh To Remember or Three hundred Big Boys?

Don't get me wrong, I love Futurama and its one of my favorite shows of all time.

It eventually comes to individual tastes. If concentrating on the sci-fi side, Futurama can easily be the funnier show.On th other hand, concentrating on humor derived from intelligent poking at social issues, Simpsons are the clear winner. But when it comes to other categories such characterization and subtle satire, Simpsons overshadow almost every animated show ever made. So, for me, Simpsons are the better show.
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

Quote Originally Posted by Imperciph
    But when it comes to other categories such characterization and subtle satire, Simpsons overshadow almost every animated show ever made. So, for me, Simpsons are the better show.
    Regardless of my love for Futurama, that's basically the same conclusion I come to as well. Well, it's part of the conclusion I come to anyway. I think that inspiration and influence are very important things to consider when deciding which show is better than which. So when I say that The Simpsons are the greatest show I've ever watched I'm taking all of that stuff into consideration.

And of course I acknowledge the things that, if they had not existed, The Simpsons might never have. Like The Marx Brothers, The Three Stooges and Looney Tunes. All of which established the crazy fast pace, wit and physical comedy that The Simpsons display today.

stanford, bitches (bitches referring to the bitches at stanford, not you)

The other day Jimbo and I were simul-watching Three Men and a Comic Book over a webcam and he noticed something fairly hilarious. During the film at the comic book convention, Fallout Boy stares at Radioactive Man's crotch for a fairly long period while Radioactive Man speaks. It's pretty funny, Veryjammy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd also like to take this opportunity to plug the link in my sig to an hilarious sendup of Beyond Bluderdome. Well, it's not so much a sendup as it is a...

Well, you'll just have to read it yourself to find out the end to that sentence!

I don't really use influence as a basis when judging which shows (or movies or whatever) are better than others. The important thing when judging the best is which has the best end-product, not which happened to come first. Certainly, the best work is often influential, but I don't use that as the basis for quality. Crap can influence great art, and it doesn't suddently make the crap better.

That said, Futurama is much more consistant then The Simpsons's overall run...that's inevitable, given seasons 10-12. Overall though The Simpsons is the better show, because seasons 1-8 are practically untouchable, and the best show ever on television. They could out and out suck for 20 years after that and the excellence of those first eight years wouldn't change. And thankfully, I do think The Simpsons justifies it's own existance these days. It's not as good as it used to be, but nothing is as good as The Simpsons used to be, and it's unlikely anything will be for a long time.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

Quote Originally Posted by DotheBartman
    It's not as good as it used to be, but nothing is as good as The Simpsons used to be, and it's unlikely anything will be for a long time.
    Amen to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Nerduli

I'd also like to take this opportunity to plug the link in my sig to an hilarious sendup of Beyond Bluderdome. Well, it's not so much a sendup as it is a...
    Well, you'll just have to read it yourself to find out the end to that sentence!
    Speaking of you and Jimbo's joint venture works, where are the new episode commentary reviews? They were great and I enjoyed reading them very much (and I am sure everyone else did too.)

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jimbo came back and posted again as mymomsaysI'mcool. then got banned again for no good reason, Vox should pm you an info pack for further instructions.

I don't really use influence as a basis when judging which shows (or movies or whatever) are better than others. The important thing when judging the best is which has the best end-product, not which happened to come first. Certainly, the best work is often influential, but I don't use that as the basis for quality. Crap can influence great art, and it doesn't suddently make the crap better.
    Cynical of you, but true anyway. Influence cannot make a show great, this is true in my opinion. But the way one great show can guide another is truly amazing to me. Tv is such a wierd medium. Basically, in tv land, influence is a big part of any success story. There is very little in the way of "abstract" television and what little there is, is total crap, like Andy Milonakis for example. And this despite the fact that tv has been a popular entertainment medium for the last half century! It's just, well depressing when you really think about it. I mean so much programming is just total crap it isn't even funny. Instead of leaps and bounds tv has always been like leggos stacked on top of one another. Every show usuing bits and pieces of all the other previous shows to form a better more entertaining program.

So that is why when a tv show comes along that actually DOES move the whole thing forward a couple dozen notches all at once I have to stand up and applaud. As I do The Simpsons. And in doing so, I will gladly recognize the achievements of any former program that made it's contribution by influence.

That said, Futurama is much more consistant then The Simpsons's overall run...that's inevitable, given seasons 10-12. Overall though The Simpsons is the better show, because seasons 1-8 are practically untouchable, and the best show ever on television. They could out and out suck for 20 years after that and the excellence of those first eight years wouldn't change. And thankfully, I do think The Simpsons justifies it's own existance these days. It's not as good as it used to be, but nothing is as good as The Simpsons used to be, and it's unlikely anything will be for a long time.
    I couldn't have put THAT better myself. So I won't bother. :mexican:

Pin Pal

I was just thinking it's about time someone made a new Nohomers top 100, we've had one each from 2003 and 2004 and it's almost 2006. I'll start the ball rolling by attempting my own top 25 (although it may change considerably when Channel 4 start showing the Oakley & Weinstein episodes next year):

1. Homer Bad Man
    2. Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part One)
    3. Lisa's Wedding
    4. Separate Vocations
    5. Three Men and a Comic Book
    6. Bart of Darkness
    7. Marge vs the Monorail
    8. Homer's Barbershop Quartet
    9. Homer the Heretic
    10. Rosebud
    11. Bart the Daredevil
    12. Bart the Lover
    13. Bart's Friend Falls in Love
    14. A Streetcar Named Marge
    15. Selma's Choice
    16. Treehouse of Horror V
    17. Two Cars in Every Garage, Three Eyes on Every Fish
    18. Duffless
    19. Homer the Great
    20. Lisa's Rival
    21. Lisa's First Word
    22. Lisa vs Malibu Stacey
    23. Homie the Clown
    24. Lisa the Beauty Queen
    25. Dead Putting Society

As you can see, there are five or six episodes that inexplicably didn't make last year's list. The top 15 are all undisputed A+ grade episodes, after that it becomes REALLY hard to decide. The last five in particular are pretty much random. Other episodes that come close are Krusty gets Busted, Bart vs Thanksgiving, Like Father, Like Clown, Kamp Krusty, New Kid on the Block, Treehouse of Horror IV and Last Temptation of Homer.

^Maybe a mod should be pm'd, preferably Channel Surfer for how to carry out the whole procedure and who would be in charge of it. Hydro wanted to do one in an entirely new format before he left for study-related reasons, I think.

Stonecutter

Veryjammy is doing it soon. (he confirmed it with Channel Surfer a while back)

Though you can always copy and paste it when he does it IAMHOMER.

Blog Entries

What is it with gay users and running the top 100 polls. I guess jammy really has been a perfect replacment for Hydro.

Is there going to be a new method for making this, because I remember hydro said he had one planned but we never got to find out what.

I saw Hydro online a couple of days ago so if he comes back regularly then he can do it cos he's the veteran heh. I was just gonna do the worst episode one atm cos that one was done a lot longer ago and by a lot of members who have left. Waiting for a prolonged period of new episode downtime so that it can be stickied and not just look like another random worst episode thread.

Stonecutter

Well what about running them between the 19th and the 7th and there may not even be an episode on the 7th so how about between the 19th and 14th? Could be your best bet, NHC seems quite active at the moment in TGD. I noticed last year it became quiet around April/May and kinda went dead in summer, bar The Voting Booth thanks to those comps that Dorkus/Nameless/Jayrayman and myself ran.

It's Up to you but I'm just guessing that's where there would be the most votes. Though I remember Hydro saying he'd thought of a great new way of doing it. So even if he doesn't do it he may be happy to give it out for us to use.

P.S. I am not a crackpot. DKsimpson2's Avatar

David Letterman

Has the show ever asked David Letterman to do the show, or had did they never try?

I remember that when he was going to cbs they put him on a coutch gag, but just his image not his name or voice. they have had paul shafers birth place.

Letterman is a bit of recluse outside of his show.

Blog Entries

Question for americans, Did David Letterman used to be good. because Mirkin liked him enough to put him in a couch gag, George Meyer used to write for him. But we get his show over here a day later now and it's terrible, I don't quite understand.

Med folket för fosterlandet Art_Vandelay's Avatar

I still think it's very good. Maybe you just don't appreciate Letterman's style of comedy. Granted, he has softened a bit since his heart attack, and the show was better back in the nineties, when he did more of the sketches himself, instead of sending Biff Henderson, Alan Kalter, and others out to do them. I still think it's the best late night show on the air though.

You can watch some highlights here. One of the clips is of Homer Simpson reading a Top Ten list.

Now, on to the topic; Dave is a bit of a recluse, and I don't think he would want to be on the show. Although, maybe he likes the show seeing as he did have Homer read a Top Ten list.

Here's Homer's Top Ten:

Top Ten Reasons I, Homer Simpson, Am Excited To Be On This Show

10. I'm happy to reunite with my college lover Biff Henderson

9. Free crackers in the Green Room. Mmm... Crackers.

8. I can take advantage of low, low New York prices

7. Uh, couldn't come up with this one

6. I love the Dancing Itos

5. I finally get to be on a real network

4. Your minimum guest payment is the most money I've ever seen in my life

3. Marge always puts out on vacation

2. I get to raid your writing staff

1. Paul and I have the same barber. Give me my money, Letterman. I want my money.
    Last edited by Art_Vandelay; 01-02-2006 at 12:40 PM.

........................................................GOLD. SILVER. BRONZE
    ..............................................................5 ..........2 ..........4

the show was so funny, and i think it still is... ever since he has stoped trying to beat lenno he has gotten better.

i think he is much like a funny uncle to people who enjoy him. he is someone who you could see at your next family get togeather.

his comedy is much more down to earth. 'in my eyes' then lenno. i think that a lost of Letterman would be much sadder to me then the loss of J. carson.

simpsons music cartoons

What Simpsons muisc video is better,

Do the bart man, or Deep trouble.

I like do the bart man knowing that Jackson wrote it.... (hes strange now. but he was such a big part to music) but i like Deep trouble because of the Gag Rap.... i enjoy funny rap.

any thaughts?

wasn't a huge fan of either, really. seemed to me like a mere money grab.

at the time i didn't like them. but after seeing them on the season 2 DVD. i enjoy them more. there like extra episodes. i like on Do the Bart man when Millhouse starts to sing he has a very good singing voice. like when in the boy band.

stonecutters

they should make stonecutter rings. i think it would be a very cool way to comunicate to other fans. And its such a cool symbol.

not a toy. perhaps a gold ring. if you have all the DVDs you can send in the proof. and they will send you a ring.

They should do this after season 10 is on DVD. thats about $350 worth of DVDs.

and dont tell too many people about it. they should only tell people on site or something. It would be much like the KISS ARMY badge. but this would be cooler because its something you cant just buy. you have to have all the Simpsons DVDs and you have to be a member of this site.

Any ideas? I wana know if any one would like this?

Star wars reunion.

should there be a star wars reunion on the show. some how.
    not just a comic show or something. maybe they are firends of skinner. and they come over for a BBQ.

Stonecutter

I want 1 of those other 'special rings', the kind that go whirl. Classy.
    "I shouldn't have eaten that packet of powdered gravy I found in the parking lot..."

It could happen. but I think The Simpsons have made fun of Star Wars enough.

If they'd square off over a game of "Family feud",...Then I'd buy a copy of that!

not to make fun of the movie.

maybe just the actors, they dont need to say there from star wars. for some reason the actors are in town.

but maybe its just a dumb idea

Thread Information