Thread: Most overhated episodes?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Most overhated episodes?

There are a number of overhated episodes, but for me the most overhated has to be the Principal and the Pauper. It's far from being one of the worst episodes ever, considering the garbage that came not long after; it's not even the worst season 9 episode. Did everyone forget All Singing, All Dancing?
    Also, if you listen to the commentary, you realize that quite a bit of thought and effort was put into it (in sharp contrast to modern Simpsons episodes). Ken Keeler actually said he believes it's his best work, including the episodes he wrote for Futurama.

What else do you guys find overhated?

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Commodus

A source of fun Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Simpson Safari and Saddlesore Galactica are above-average episodes.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shoskin

I think people hate "The Principal and the Pauper" more for what it represents than the actual quality of the episode. I never had a problem with it.

"Homerpalooza" is another episode that I think gets a lot of hate that's not really warranted. The worst thing you can say about it is the amount of guest stars, but there's a reason for them to be there. Besides, the story is about Homer feeling out of touch and trying to get back the energy he had in his youth. I honestly think that was one of his best characterizations in the entire series and it doesn't really get said at all.

Marge be not proud may not be popular but I liked it. And Lee carvalho's putting challenge is classic.
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    Looking for shiny, legendary, and mythical. Got shiny Sandshrew (Alola)
    Have various starters, zorua, can breed many pokemon.
    Current egg move hatching: Tyrunt with fire fang

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Simpson Safari and Saddlesore Galactica are above-average episodes.
    They are overhated? Wow, I actually like these episodes. I'm only thinking it's because they are Mike Scully era episodes.
    "Bart, a woman is like beer. They look good, they smell good, and you’d step over your own mother just to get one!"

A source of fun Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterCat View Post
    Marge be not proud may not be popular but I liked it. And Lee carvalho's putting challenge is classic.
    Marge Be Not Proud is pretty popular everywhere except Dead Homer Society.

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterCat View Post
    I was under the impression it's not really hated outside of Dead Homer Society. I never really understood why they disliked it so much, it works well both from both a comedic and heartwarming standpoint at the same time. It feels like a quintessential classic Simpsons episode. Nothing at all like a typical Scully or Jean episode.

I almost forgot about Homerpalooza being hated. Aside from the excessive use of celebrities playing themselves, there's really nothing bad about it.
    Also agree about the Principal and the Pauper not having quality issues that plague Modern Simpsons. It's just a bad idea, albeit one that is competently made. Oakley and Weinstein made it clear the episode was meant to be experimental. Obviously not one of their most successful experiments, but still not as bad as people say.
    Last edited by Rover Hendrix; 06-28-2019 at 08:05 PM.

I looked up some worst episdoes list to see what others thought and other than the two I agreed with @Financial Panther, i found some interesting ones. I actually found a website that has people voting that Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire is one of the worst episode. I will leave it at that.

Anyways, My Sister, My Sitter supposedly is not like very much. YouTube's PhantomStrider '10 Worst Simpsons Episodes of All Time' named it the number three of all time. Now he comes out and says Bart is his lease liked character and Lisa is his favorite which makes me question his objectivity on why he doesn't like this episode. He ranked it worst than Boys of Bummer, which was ranked #10. One example, he didn't like the joke, "Go to bread." It seems like this guy never had a brother or sister. But that might be the thing. Brothers and sisters do stupid shit to each other. It's probably one of the reasons I like it. Yes the writing isn't the best, but it isn't as bad as he thinks.

Homer's night Out is #6? GTFO.
    Last edited by Shoskin; 06-28-2019 at 11:29 PM.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

@Shoskin, 'My Sister, My Sitter' is one of my favorite underrated episodes and probably my number one choice for this thread.

It just works really well to me and I don't see it's awfulness; the story is good and has some pretty good and clever writing (also a good vehicle to show Lisa's mental strength), the humor is solid and the siblings having a conflict is understandable, as is troublemaker Bart hating his younger sister being the boss over him so on that I understand him dismay and wanting to make it miserable for her (even though he went too far at the expense of his well being which shows how short-sighted he can be).

Also, I never liked Phantom Strider, his biases and hyperbole (he's pretty annoying); having Bart as your least favorite character definitely makes this one episode come out as not good but ranking it worse than 'The Boys Of Bummer' is insane, let alone have it be among the Top 10 awful episodes of the entire series.

As for later episodes, I never felt that 'The Italian Bob' was as awful as it's made out to to be. It's quite averagely mediocre and doesn't do as well with the travel premise like it could (also Bob's wife and kids are really flat characters) but it has some good jokes, nice story bits and is decently interesting so the vitriol comes out as way overblown to me.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 06-29-2019 at 02:28 AM.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shoskin

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    @Shoskin, 'My Sister, My Sitter' is one of my favorite underrated episodes and probably my number one choice for this thread.

It just works really well to me and I don't see it's awfulness; the story is good and has some pretty good and clever writing (also a good vehicle to show Lisa's mental strength), the humor is solid and the siblings having a conflict is understandable, as is troublemaker Bart hating his younger sister being the boss over him so on that I understand him dismay and wanting to make it miserable for her (even though he went too far at the expense of his well being which shows how short-sighted he can be).

Also, I never liked Phantom Strider, his biases and hyperbole (he's pretty annoying); having Bart as your least fav definitely makes one come out differently but ranking it worse than 'The Boys Of Bummer' is insane, let alone have it be among the Top 10 awful episodes.

As for later episodes, I never felt that 'The Italian Bob' was as awful as it's made out to to be. It's quite averagely mediocre and doesn't do as well with the travel premise like it could (also Bob's wife and kids are really flat characters) but it has some good jokes, nice story bits and is decently interesting so the vitriol comes out as way overblown to me.
    Its definitely is not one of my favorite Sideshow Bob episodes. I felt the idea of him moving to Italy, finding a wife and having a kid who is older, talks and wields a knife to be questionable. Plus the idea of him wearing his prison jumpsuit under his suit to just be plain lousy writing. Though I do like "A Lamborgotti Fasterossa? That's the car I think about when I make love to my wife."

PhantomStrider basically comes out sounding like a wanker and his arguements are weak. Plus leave out clip shows, they shouldn't even count.

'The Italian Bob' is a pretty silly and dumb episode, don't get me wrong, but I cannot see this disaster it's commonly said to be. To me it's pretty much just another middle grade early Jean era episode with it's share of better and worse moments and in no way complete garbage.

That rabbit is dynamite! Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well it's better he find a wife instead of being in a relationship with Bart like a distressing amount of Bob fans want...

The Principal and the Pauper is without a doubt the most overhated episode, I get it that people hate it for what it represents but anyways I have seen it listed as one of the worst episodes when it would be one of the best episodes in the last 10 seasons or even before that.

My sister my sitter is very well loved in my country Argentina but I think it's overhated here.

Marge be not proud is only criticized in Dead Homer Society so it doesn't really count, it's a very well liked episode by most of the Simpsons community.

I think Missionary Imposible is a good episode that is overhated, although it clearly doesn't belong to the Classic era and I admit the ending is lazy writing but I think the episode is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelMaiden95 View Post
    The Principal and the Pauper is without a doubt the most overhated episode, I get it that people hate it for what it represents but anyways I have seen it listed as one of the worst episodes when it would be one of the best episodes in the last 10 seasons or even before that.

My sister my sitter is very well loved in my country Argentina but I think it's overhated here.

Marge be not proud is only criticized in Dead Homer Society so it doesn't really count, it's a very well liked episode by most of the Simpsons community.

I think Missionary Imposible is a good episode that is overhated, although it clearly doesn't belong to the Classic era and I admit the ending is lazy writing but I think the episode is funny.
    Missionary Impossible is where Homer first mentioned Jebus, so I like it a little bit for that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post

Also, I never liked Phantom Strider, his biases and hyperbole (he's pretty annoying); having Bart as your least favorite character definitely makes this one episode come out as not good but ranking it worse than 'The Boys Of Bummer' is insane, let alone have it be among the Top 10 awful episodes of the entire series.

Compared to most Scully and Jean episodes, My Sister, My Sitter seems like a masterpiece. But it's true it's one of the weaker episodes of season 8.

Al Jeany apologist skully the poltergeist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i'd rather watch almost any Scully episode to My Sister, My Sitter. Whole tone of that ep sux
    yeet or get yeeted

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

Pretty much Season 21 as a whole.

It isn't the worst season ever, I think it is probably the best HD Season (excluding 20 because part of it wasn't HD) The Greatest Story Ever Dohed isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Then again, it still sucks, but it doesn't bring down an entire season.

To Surveil With Love is one of my favorite HD episodes and people seem to hate it only for its intro, how sad is that?

And also Treehouse of Horror XII is one of my favorite THOHs.
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: My Mother the Carjacker/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Professional Teleporter Mícheál's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That 90's Show gets way more hate than what it deserves. I never really got why everyone took so much issue with the fact they set it in the 90s.

Also I don't see any real issues with My Sister My Sitter. I don't think there's anything massively off in that episode to warrant it being labelled "bad."
    "I may or may not die young. I haven't decided yet."

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

I also remember that Kill the Alligator and Run was rated the worst episode a few years ago. But compared to more recent episodes, it feels perfectly decent. Dare I say it, it's actually pretty enjoyable and has several funny moments.

I honestly reckon Moe Goes from Rags to Riches is better than its reputation suggests.

I do not understand nor will I understand why there are people who hate Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy. For me it was TOP3 of season 30 and an easy 5/5. Funny jokes, good characterizations and a perfect message about a difficult subject to deal with. I think the audience was very unfair with this episode. Several in this group have given the same note as I Want You (She's so Heavy). I am nobody to criticize the tastes of others, but I will never understand.

Others episodes that I enjoyed and a lot of people hate are The Mansion Family, YOLO, The Man Who Came to Be Dinner, Dogtown and The Serfsons.

Professional Teleporter Mícheál's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A newer episode I really enjoyed was Flander's Ladder. It had quite a different, darker tone to most episodes, which a lot of people didn't like, but I believe that's what makes it such a standout in season 29. Definitely one of my favorite episodes of the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    I do not understand nor will I understand why there are people who hate Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy. For me it was TOP3 of season 30 and an easy 5/5. Funny jokes, good characterizations and a perfect message about a difficult subject to deal with. I think the audience was very unfair with this episode. Several in this group have given the same note as I Want You (She's so Heavy). I am nobody to criticize the tastes of others, but I will never understand.

Others episodes that I enjoyed and a lot of people hate are The Mansion Family, YOLO, The Man Who Came to Be Dinner, Dogtown and The Serfsons.

I think 'Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy' was a pretty good episode.

The themes and the messages it stated were all good and the satire was fine, but what held it back a little for me and kept it from being great was that a feel they could've done the satire more justice, the lack of proper nuance was bothersome as was stereotypical feel of the conflict and the flat characterizations of both sides & the girl gang, who should've protagonists to root for, ended up much less likeable that Milhouse and his group, the de-facto antagonists. Other than those parts it was done well and doesn't deserve the spite it gets even though I don't think it's fantastic.

Those other episodes you mentioned are also pretty decent and enjoyable, even though a few are certainly middle of the road and okay at best. Also 'Flander's Ladder', as the poster right above me mentioned, was quite good to me; solid capper for season 29.

Thread Information