Page 1 of 135 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The General Discussion Lounge

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The General Discussion Lounge

I was thinking about this today, since there are still a lot of members who contribute to the Simpsons discussion and nobody really discusses OFF in the other lounge, we should have a place in General Discussion where we can post Simpsons related stuff that doesn't really warrant it's own thread.

Well I'll get the ball rolling. Last night I realized I really don't hate Today I Am A Clown as much as I thought. I was actually laughing through most of it, but last time I watched it I remember being pretty disapointed.

Back but still forgotten

Havnt seen that episode in a long time, so I wont give an oppinion here. But I do remember Mr. T being histerical and this joke
    "you might say I felt bad for the guy...."
    "you PITIED the fool??"
    "thats one way of puttin in"
    Oh....you better believe thats a paddlin

All Brain, All The Time.

I don't think this will work, the General Discussion section is a General Discussion Lounge. If you've got something to say about an episode just start a thread about, everyone else does. This will probably just confuse people about where to find a specific topic, or annoy people who missed the previous ones.
    That's just my opinion though.
    Peter Griffin: "The grown up in me likes the prospect of fun,
    but the kid in me is suicidal over what a fat bastard I will become."

Sideshow Bob: "Just the thought of all that raw, surging power
    makes me wonder why the hell I should care!"

I dont think this will work because there already is a forum section for this thread and it doesnt make sense to come here instead of finding the right thread for your topic.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterGriffin525
    I dont think this will work because there already is a forum section for this thread and it doesnt make sense to come here instead of finding the right thread for your topic.
    sure it can, this random simpsons thoughts that don't merit their own thread

About Today I am a Klown, I can't wait for the next complete guide to come out(15 and 16) just to see how they reference the reference the book in that episode. I know, it is a stupid thing to be excited about, but if you don't like it, sue me.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan20 View Post
    My view: You can show pictures of people in the nude, you can show pictures of people having sex, you can even show kids naked, but SHOW HOMER 'DOING IT' WITH LISA AND I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN.

Blog Entries

Well, it's a good idea from my view!

Anyway, after watching season 15 episodes on my PC, I've realised it's a pretty good season, the only episodes I don't like is the Treehouse of Horror, the Regina Monologous and Bart Magled Banner.
    Today I am a Klown is a very good episode in my view , a great follow up to "Like Father like Klown". The beggining with the puppies was very entertaining, and the sub-plot was good too.

Stonecutter

Here's something that probably doesn't need its own thread. Did anyone know that Tress MacNeille sang on one of Weird Al Yankovic's very early albums? She sang, as well as performed in the music video for "Ricky" as Lucy Ricardo (Lucille Ball). You can see some photos of her in the video in this gallery. What's interesting is that she did an entirely different voice for Lucy 15 years later on The Simpsons in "Little Big Mom".

grappling with local oaf Postmaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think this could work, I do sometimes have things to say that I don't think warrant their own threads.
    Thread supported.

That Veronica Vaughn..... Ryan_'s Avatar

This thread will work if people don't use up the first 2 pages discussing whether or not the thread will work.

Junior Camper

Here's a question that doesn't need a thread...

When was the "Scully Era" ?

Lots of talk about it of late, just wondering when he was show runner so I can join in. Sorry, I'm not very technically versed. I'm gradually getting a feel for the production aspects of the show though.

Thanks peeps.
    Tell that Mick he just made my list of things to do today.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrilicious
    Here's a question that doesn't need a thread...

When was the "Scully Era" ?

Lots of talk about it of late, just wondering when he was show runner so I can join in. Sorry, I'm not very technically versed. I'm gradually getting a feel for the production aspects of the show though.

Thanks peeps.
    9-12 except for some season 9 episodes but this is a question that can go in the Q&A thread.

I also think this could work for bits and pieces that don't warrant a whole thread. As long as people make sure meatier, worthier topics, get their own thread.

Anyway to actually contribute, I don't like Today I Am A Klown, it bores me. I may be reading way too much into it but I kinda got the impression Jay and Wallace didn't either. I remember Al Jean asking them on one of the commentaries if they saw it and they just said 'yeah' and there was a bit of an awkward silence during which I think Jean expected them to say 'It was great!' Or maybe I enjoy reading far far too much into the commentaries

It's Just A Flesh Wound ppoi307's Avatar

Today I am A Klown I Like, but then again some of the humor you have to be Jewish to Understand.

Where's the money shot? Reverend Lovejoy's Avatar

This is a good idea for a thread.

Thanks to CousinMerl for this great sig!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy
    I also think this could work for bits and pieces that don't warrant a whole thread. As long as people make sure meatier, worthier topics, get their own thread.

Anyway to actually contribute, I don't like Today I Am A Klown, it bores me. I may be reading way too much into it but I kinda got the impression Jay and Wallace didn't either. I remember Al Jean asking them on one of the commentaries if they saw it and they just said 'yeah' and there was a bit of an awkward silence during which I think Jean expected them to say 'It was great!' Or maybe I enjoy reading far far too much into the commentaries
    I've been intrested in following people on commentaries opinion of the show, I think you might be reading too much here though.
    I'm looking forward to Oakley and Weinstein shows though because their not working on it anymore, Jean and Mirkin give a postive PR speech but I wonder if they'll be at all vocal, I know their not going to say it sucks now, but I'm sure they might want to avoid the subject, If I remember they were unaware of Thomas Pynchon's appearnce.

If nothing else they've probably just moved on, like a lot of writers and producers do (I remember another former writer not being aware that Homer's middle name was revealed to be "Jay", and Brad Bird, despite his obvious fondness for the show, once said that he hasn't watched it in years because he just doesn't watch television anymore). I wouldn't be surprised if they just don't think about it much anymore and focus on other things. They have made comments before (that they thought seasons two and three were the best, and that "even when we were there" the show had moved into a mentality of having to have a joke in every line and that the stories and characters had suffered), but I don't know if that means they actually have any negative feelings about the show now (they were still clearly proud of their own years) or just feel that the seasons two and three happened to be the best.

EDIT: For the record, this was referring to Oakley and Weinstein. But yeah, it could be true of Kogen and Walladarsky as well.
    Last edited by DotheBartman; 10-12-2005 at 12:21 PM.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

Back but still forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by DotheBartman
    I remember another former writer not being aware that Homer's middle name was revealed to be "Jay"
    This was Jay Kogen, who, like you said, has probaly moved on and dosnt think to much about The Simpsons anymore. He's doing other things and he's not a Simpsons viewer.

I support the thread.

Until I saw Milhouse of Sand and Fog, I thought in every new episode they were trying to shock us. The Father, The Son and The Holy Guest Star had Homer say he masturbates a lot; Bonfire of the Manatees had Homer throw up on camera (ugh...), and The Girl Who Slept Too Little had Homer say the S-word. But then I saw Sand and Fog and didn't spot something like that.

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by DotheBartman
    If nothing else they've probably just moved on, like a lot of writers and producers do (I remember another former writer not being aware that Homer's middle name was revealed to be "Jay", and Brad Bird, despite his obvious fondness for the show, once said that he hasn't watched it in years because he just doesn't watch television anymore). I wouldn't be surprised if they just don't think about it much anymore and focus on other things. They have made comments before (that they thought seasons two and three were the best, and that "even when we were there" the show had moved into a mentality of having to have a joke in every line and that the stories and characters had suffered), but I don't know if that means they actually have any negative feelings about the show now (they were still clearly proud of their own years) or just feel that the seasons two and three happened to be the best.

EDIT: For the record, this was referring to Oakley and Weinstein. But yeah, it could be true of Kogen and Walladarsky as well.
    Unless I've misinterpreted this - Oakley and Weinstein weren't on the staff during Seasons 2 and 3 so don't you think it odd that they would say that the years they weren't there were the best?

Yeah, but again that's why they said "even while we were there". I'll have to find that interview again (I found it through a "Mission Hill" fan site, which I wasn't explicitely looking for since I've only ever seen that show once). It's also what made it fascinating to me, since I'd never seen anyone (let alone a showrunner) be so candid about their own years on the show. They were still clearly complimentary of the whole show up to that point (1999? 2000? I don't remember the exact year of the interview) and one of them said that they truly felt it was the greatest show of all time and that people will still be watching it in 100 years. But they were still pretty candid about their preference for seasons two and three (I've heard Greg Daniels also expressed his preference for 1-3 on a KOTH commentary).

Blog Entries

I think I came across that interview, in fact I rember finding something, (I don't know if it was the same thing) but it was incredibly obscure because it was a website that mentioned mission hill in refrence to single dads or something like that. and it interviewed them before and after the show's cancellation.
    You should download it veryjammy, just to be sure you have the same criticisms of it that you have for their simpsons episodes and if you do, then I'll definatley take a chance and order it on dvd.

Quote Originally Posted by E-I-E-I-Moe
    and The Girl Who Slept Too Little had Homer say the S-word.
    I still can't figure out why he did that. It wasn't really funny, he just randomly came in, yelled a swear, and then left again. I wonder if they'll leave that bleeped with the DVD release.

Quote Originally Posted by grissom
    I still can't figure out why he did that. It wasn't really funny, he just randomly came in, yelled a swear, and then left again. I wonder if they'll leave that bleeped with the DVD release.
    It probably will be beeped, like that scene in an older episode where Homer was swearing at the ambulance.
    Dyslexia, Duffman's secret shame!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer_Thompson
    You should download it veryjammy, just to be sure you have the same criticisms of it that you have for their simpsons episodes and if you do, then I'll definatley take a chance and order it on dvd.
    Haha you joker you

back in black

Quote Originally Posted by Homer_Thompson
    9-12 except for some season 9 episodes but this is a question that can go in the Q&A thread.
    Also the first 5 season 13 episodes are in the Scully era.

"Today I am a Clown" - a very jokey episode, some worked, others didn't. I'd say it's average for S15.

Any Canadians here who watch the show at 5:00 PM on CBC? Last week they started rerunning Season 16 episodes, but they were very crappily edited. Whenever a cut was made, the scene faded to black. I didn't see the episode they aired today or last Friday, but the worst cut I have seen so far is in "Fat Man and Little Boy" where they literally cut in the middle of the "Pink Panther" theme. Of all the stupid cuts I've seen, this is now the stupidest - they've cut at the start and end of a song before, but this is the first I can recall in the middle.

Today "Duffless" aired on OMNI.1 at 6:00 PM, and it was the US syndication edit. Is it my imagination, or did they used to play a different version? (I recall seeing this episode on that channel with the last joke in act 2 cut.)
    Bart: "Please don't call our parents!"
    Chief: "I'm afraid I have to for hijinks like these. Hijinks - it's a funny word. Three dotted letters in a row."
    Eddie: "Is it hyphenated?"
    Chief: "It used to be, back in the good old days, you know. Of course, every generation hyphenates the way it wants to. Then there's *NSYNC! What the hell is that? Jump in any time there, Eddie, these are good topics."

This thread is a good idea.

Well let me ask you guys a question. What do you think of the Season 5 episode "The last temptation of Homer" ?

As a marriage crisis episode I have seen this episode criticised on NHC for not attempting an emotional build up to Homer and Mindy's realtionship.

Well for me, I do prefer "Colonel Homer" to it and I think its just a "What If Homer met his dream woman" scenario, the gags and the subplot more than makeup for it.

And David Mirkin thinks he really deeply explored Homer's character with this episode.

I feel Bart's subplot is a true representation of the schoolkids' philosophy of basing their opinion on appearances. Hell, the same thing happened to me when I had to take new really big glasses.The next day my position as a nerd was cemented in my class and I have been otrmented by school bullies ever since. (Though I am not reducing my nerdiness by posting here. )
    It's a bit like having sex with a jellyfish: once might an interesting experiment, twice would be perversion!
    after I told him my name, he beat seven shades out of me and left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth and a brush shoved in where the sun doesn't shine

The biggest problem I have with this board as a whole is that I sometimes feel far too much emphasis is placed on emotional build-up or being satirical or exploring characters. Those are all important aspects, but not every single episode needs them. In the case of The Last Temptation of Homer, so what if it isn't Colonel Homer part 2? Colonel Homer is the better episode, but overall I think The Last Temptation is funnier, which makes up for it.

What irritates me most is the Season 5 criticisms, when Season 5 is an almost flawless example of gag comedy. It's not got as much depth as some other seasons, but who said it had to? When I first came I was adamant Season 5 was better than 6 and was slowly brainwashed into thinking 6 was much better. But tonight I looked at the episode list side by side and I think given the choice I would go for Season 5. The plots aren't as engaging perhaps, but I think the joke writing on the whole is cleverer, more inventive and most importantly, funnier.

Oh I'm rambling. Well to sort of get back on track, The Last Temptation Of Homer contains so many great jokes I really don't mind the fact that it doesn't go for the big emotional angle

Blog Entries

Season 5 is brilliant. I can't give any real reasons like Veryjammy, but from my view I see it as a slight improvement from season 4. Just the episodes I like more. The last temptaion was really good at making me laugh. I saw Cape Feare for the first time 6 months ago when the DVD came out and I loved it.

Anyway, where did season 5 come in the Season Rankings Drunk Barney?

Quote Originally Posted by Veryjammy
    What irritates me most is the Season 5 criticisms, when Season 5 is an almost flawless example of gag comedy. It's not got as much depth as some other seasons, but who said it had to? When I first came I was adamant Season 5 was better than 6 and was slowly brainwashed into thinking 6 was much better. But tonight I looked at the episode list side by side and I think given the choice I would go for Season 5. The plots aren't as engaging perhaps, but I think the joke writing on the whole is cleverer, more inventive and most importantly, funnier.
    Heh, you are not alone. Before I came to NHC, Season 5 was 3rd most favorite season right after 4 and 7. Then by slowly reading the discussions here, Season 5 dropped to be the second worst classic season in my book.

I do think Season 5 has become a little underrated as of late. I mean as much as I can can complain about Homer in Bart gets an Elephant, I'll still laugh out loud at the scene where he has a bird "groom" his head.
    "Homer goes to college" is always brought up here as a birthplace of jerkass Homer.Certainly there are problems with him. However as an "Animal House" parody, I feel it is far better than Futurama's "Mars University". And the inspection of SNPP is actually funnier here than the inspection scene of "Two cars in every garage, Three eyes on every fish".

And not every viewer will want to watch "Principal Charming" or even "Old Money" but they will enjoy "Lady Bouvier's Lover" and "Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badass song".

Edit: I also think Season 6 is better, H_T. I find the plots tighter, the gags for unexpected (Guy Incognito), the storylines more ambitious and satirical.
    Last edited by Imperciph; 10-13-2005 at 06:34 AM.

Blog Entries

I don't think people actually think lowly of season 5, it's just a bit weaker, but there's not much in it. But I really think season 6 is better in every aspect I really do think it's more consistently funny and more inventive with the humour with a lot of "screwing with the audience jokes" 5 seemed slightly more simplistic and predictable to me.

Thread Information