47 28.31%

36 21.69%

54 32.53%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review : Tennis the Menace

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Junior Camper

it's not great but nowhere near as bad as some people have been saying 3/5
    Let us celebrate with the adding of chocolate to milk.

Blog Entries

Meh. The episode is practically the quintessential Scully episode.

1. Starts with an unrelated subplot (Grampa's funeral stuff) that just barely segues into the main plot (tennis). The Simpsons does this frequently with the opening set pieces, but the Scully Era in particular makes the segues razor-thin. See "A Tale of Two Springfields" as another good example.

2. The episode operates competently enough if you're going to buy into the randomness of the premise. It's kinda like if they put The Simpsons on the moon and then wrote a well-characterized episode about that. The characters seem real, but they're still on the moon.

3. Devolve into a wacky third act that completely destroys the previous plot, often involving celebrities. Once again, I refer to "A Tale of Two Springfields." It's almost like the plot structures between the two are just copy/pasted.

Still, I did like the interactions in Act 2 over the tennis playing, and seemed pretty realistic. So it saves the episode from being as bad as "A Tale of Two Springfields." 2/5.

Groin-grabbingly transcedent Uosdwis R. Jewoh's Avatar

hilarious 5/5

this is one of those episodes that signaled to me that The Simpsons really had turned to shit

awful. When s10 was new - I thought it was weak, and then later when the show got worse it started looking better. s12 still looks like shit

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Uosdwis R. Jewoh View Post
    hilarious 5/5

Outdoor surgery, terrible voice acting from the four guest stars that hijacked the episode, incredibly mean spirited and unlikeable family. I was very pleased to see this at the bottom of the Season 12 list from a couple of days ago.

Shame, because the colours looked noticeable more vibrant than Worst Episode Ever and Pokey Mom. 1/10.

F

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pointless guest stars, unfunny, with pretty poor animation (I haven't seen this is in ages yet noticed a couple of obvious flaws, plus the colours were too bright - almost luminous). One of the worst of the series.

D

1/5

Blog Entries

Absolutely unfunny, but the idea is good. 2/5
    I agree with many people.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

One word: meh. Spelled m-e-h.

6/10
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Blog Entries

I nothing this episode

Blog Entries

As I've stated before, I hate this episode. The only thing in the show's history that actually makes me look away in disgust is the 'outdooor surgery' gag. It doesn't help that the rest of the episode is terrible as well. I mean, it's even one of the worst ways to get into the plot.

"It's about the same size as a regulation tennis court."
    "Tennis court, eh?"

Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Bartesque

Blog Entries

An okay episode.
    The plot was garbage, but was some funny jokes, for example:
    Bart: Telegram for Lisa Simpson.
    Homer: [to Lisa] Don't listen! It's a trick.
    Bart: Dear Lisa: Psych! Psych, psych, psych. Signed, Super-psych.
    Homer:[to Lisa] I think he's trying to psych you out.
    Marge:Look, we're all trying to have dinner. So why don't we just -- psych, psych, psych!

5.0\10, C
    S12 rating: 20th place

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's a 2.5 or so.. rounded it up to a 3/5... but still... we all know a 2.5/5 is overall 50% good or in other words a big fat F, and that's what this one deserves.

I don't get why everyone hates this episode so much, it was pretty funny for most of it. But I don't get why this episode is so was so well animated compared to the other episodes in this season. Overall, I give a 4/5

Quote Originally Posted by AngusCastle View Post
    I don't get why everyone hates this episode so much, it was pretty funny for most of it. But I don't get why this episode is so was so well animated compared to the other episodes in this season. Overall, I give a 4/5
    Agreed, its a fun and somewhat original episode.
    Although it might be construed a bit distasteful Homer ignoring Grampa's funeral needs for a tennis court.

Kent Brockman's 'I guess you can say I'm Iraqi' and Homer's reaction is pure gold.

3.5/5

While this episode reeks of "new era" Simpsons, the showrunner is obviously Scully, so it has genuine humour that isn't found in any episode ran by Al Jean.

"Andre Agassi" "The wrestler?"
    "Iraqi"
    And the scene with the tennis balls falling out the front of the Simpsons house after the ball machine overload are all among the episode's highlights.

Also going with 3/5

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

This episode is bad, but it has some good parts. I like Homer's oedipal complex and the rivalry between Homer and Lisa, and Marge and Bart. But the plot is unfocused; the oedipal complex things last for about two minutes and the rivalry also isn't developed very much. Also, I don't understand why Homer got a tennis court built in his back yard, or where he got the money for it. The transition from the funeral home to the tennis court is non-existent. The second thing I hate most about this episode (after the lack of segue) is Homer's Jerkassery. And the ending sucks, not only because Homer replaces Lisa (which bothers me mostly because of how it should be against the rules), but because the family rivalry is completely abandoned after being built up since the oedipal complex was abandoned. It is such an anti-climactic ending. So, this episode isn't consistently terrible, but the parts that are terrible are really terrible and bring the whole episode way down. 2/10

Blog Entries

didn't think the first act was horrible but the rest was. 1/5.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd rather watch a YouTube video about open heart surgery than watch this shit.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

Blog Entries

this episode's over ten years old

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaleeMercurio View Post
    the show is running low in terms of the popularity this is why people are voting it quite down as it being well reflected by the results ... but i was not expecting it
    No, shit is shit and the people back then agreed "Tennis" was awful.

Good to see I'm not the only one who disliked this episode, too. Probably one of the weakest points of the Mike Scully era. The only thing I got a chuckle out of was the water pressure bit at the very start, and even that wasn't as funny as when something similar happened in "Bart vs. Australia" ("I'm siiiinging in the sh-OW!!!")

It was also the third episode using digital-ink-and-paint, very much like the post-2002 episodes have been using (prior to this, they experimented with digital-ink-and-paint in 1995 on "Radioactive Man" and "The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular," and it didn't look too bad there.)

Blog Entries

WOW thanks so much for that shocking info

sorry it's been a rough week

Banned
    Blog Entries

Tennis The Menace does suck. I thought that was common knowledge.

good episode. best part's when homer rips off the pompoms on marge's socks, throws them at the car and breaks the window. hilarious.

Junior Camper

I really like Tennis so I naturally like this episode. 3.5/5

Banned
    Blog Entries

Horrible episode one of the worst ever. The end of the first act must be one of the worst ways too jump into the episodes plot. None of the family members are particulary likable. I espacially hate when Homer sees Bart as a rival for Marges love. Ugh. I dont like the animation either something about the animation just turns me off maybe its that the colors are too bright, maybe its that it dont feel like typical Simpsons, maybe it is that parts of it feels like its taken from a comic..... the guest stars are very typical of the era, some of the worst jokes ever. I could go on about how horrible this episode is but i simply sum up the main things i disliked. Grade: F

This one had a pretty damn detached first act that had virtually no connection to the rest of the episode. Only a few enjoyable gags, rest were pretty meh, the characterization was pretty off in some parts, the Marge X Bart nightmare was pretty disgusting, and the ending with the quest stars was just so random and uninspired. 2/5

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

My opinion flip-flops but for now I'll just say: boring ep.

2/5

Thread Information