21 12.65%

47 28.31%

36 21.69%

54 32.53%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review : Tennis the Menace

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

i'm not good with user titles Lisa Is A Nut's Avatar

3/5. Pretty average episode. Had it's fair share a funny jokes, average plot, on the whole, a good episode.
    Missing Children Videos
    Find Madeline McCann
    The Help Find Madeline Forum
    Stop Animal Cruelty Petition

>>Madeline McCann disappeared from her hotel room in Praia Da Luz, Portugal, on May 3rd 2007. If you have any information on her disappearance please click here or visit the youtube missing children channel.

not black mozart chocolatey socrates's Avatar
    Blog Entries

F, possibly one of the worst episodes ever alongside the mansion family

Lisa: "Dad, I think you're overreacting."
    Homer: "Well I think you're UNDERreacting."
    Lisa: "This conversation is over."
    Homer: "This conversation is UNDER."
    Lisa: "Good-bye!"
    Homer: "BAD-bye!"
    Although i do find this joke funny.
    And that "i guess you could say i'm iraqi" was sickening; Homers response was a bit...racsist aswell as being unfunny, and there was no real joke to it ecept iraqi sounds a bit like racket. Hardeharhar.

I thought this was a terrible episode. The first act just to get to the Tennis court was extremly clunky ( I know it was meant to be but it still sucked) And Homer with his one liners "Surfing the net" etc were bad. And then at the end all the guest stars crowbared in just for the sake of having guest stars. I think that Guest stars should only be in the episode if they give something to the episode that it could not otherwise have. Oakley and Weinstein had it right. They got the people with the unique voices to play people other than themselves.

Also you can see this episode was written because of the gueststars. You can just see they got the Tennis people on board then they thought of some tennis jokes and a flimsy plot about tennis. Then this could not fill up the whole episode so they added the first act just to fill it up. This episode should not have been!

1/5 (0 was not an option)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Groupie View Post
    If a dude tried to cum on my face I would remove his testicles.

You're deceptive

Decent episode. I don't see the problem with utilising flexible reality to give The Simpsons a tennis court, they did it before with the pool in Bart of Darkness.

I didn't mind the guest stars for some reason.

I loved "racket earrings"

I loved the Bart-Marge seduction fantasy.

Couple of potentially good jokes were ruined - the outdoor surgery thing was ruined by Hibbert laughing, and the "I guess you could say I'm Iraqi" was ruined by Homer's racist reaction.

Overall, 2.5 rounded up to 3.

Junior Camper

Although the ending this a bit strange, I always enjoyed this episode. I think its mainly due to that I play tennis myself.

Besides that, I don't have a problem with the guest stars and I like the idea of the family getting so competitive in this episode.

B-/B

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SpringShield
    I loved the Bart-Marge seduction fantasy.
    I thought that was the scariest and most ridiculous part of the episode. I don't remember the rest very well but Homer being jelaous of Bart for that, it was beyond ridiculous in the way it is presented.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

You're deceptive

The ridiculousness was what made it so funny. Classic Homer thinking IMO.

I thought this episode was good. Seeing Homer play Tennis was hilarious, and that one liner by Kent Brockman was funny. Another example of Homer being a absolute "dum dum" Grade: B+

do the bartman!

overall, a good episode

the good:
    the beginning with homer at the bath and bart messing around his water making it hotter and colder. it was hilarious!
    kent brockman saying "i guess you might say im iraqui!" haha great joke
    the part where they play tennis in the simpsons house was pretty funny
    the ending: "it's better to watch things than to do things!"

the bad: the idea of homer thinking bart is trying to marry his mother and thinking he is a younger version of him.

Grade: 7/10 rounded up to 4/5
    Season 6 rocks!

1/5
    Worst episode and probably the worst season to date.
    Homer and Marge being the Clippers of tennis was pretty funny.
    mmmm.....The Simpsons Season 11 coming soon...mmmm...........donut..........

I'm just like Ned Flanders!
    I'm Ned Flanders, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought it was just ok, only had a few jokes that I kind of liked, although I thought that Homer's idea of Bart trying to steal Marge kind of sick.
    3/5

i've seen that many don't like this episode at all.
    For me it's at least ok, even when i think especially the end is bad.
    But besides that some good gags and funny scenes.

3/5

I would absolutely despise this episode if I didn't love tennis. Serena Williams is my favorite tennis player, and I love Venus, Sampras and Agassi, too. My love of tennis makes me rather blind to all this episode's flaws. Looking at it objectively, I'd give it a D- (the 'you're under' part saving it from an F), but it's got tennis and Serena in it, so it gets a C from me.
    "Evolution is silly," AJ adds. "Monkeys? Um, no."

The characterisation in this episode is just...surreal. Almost unbelievable. It's hard to actually comprehend that they didn't do awful characterisation on purpose. It is, fortunately, redeemed slightly by some truly hilarious gags. B-

2, it's one those episodes written by a good writter that turn out bad.

cleaning my asteroid Roger Wilco's Avatar

the 3rd act is absolutely horrible, but there are some decent jokes in the first act.
    Bad, but no W.E.E. though it marks the show's downhill

2/5 or C+ or 45/100

Blog Entries

4, the only things keeping it from a 5 were Dr Hibbert doing the patient outside and the tennis ball flying in {one of the worst jokes ever}, and Homer's pants coming off with the racket, otherwise a good episode

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SpringShield View Post
    The ridiculousness was what made it so funny. Classic Homer thinking IMO.
    You're crazy. Now go buy more products.

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I expected a much stronger hate for this episode. It's usually pretty undermentioned and forgotten at the bottom lists. And that is absolutely conflicted to my view, because I seriously think it's indefensible.

The storyline is an utter piece of crap. Despite the first scenes at the Retirement Castle were amusing, when the action was set to the funeral parlor the episode started to stink. There we have some minutes of lame jokes (the mourner one is horrid) and an annoying Bart. And then, the worst plot turn ever. The Simpsons build a tennis court at their garden, and the only reason is a single comment. I wasn't pleased with the premise at all (Oh, The Simpsons get a tennis court at the garden, that's soo interesting!), but in no way I thought it could be so damn random and insulting. There was simply no explanation, and it lacked a solid base at all.
    The next scenes were an epitome of boredom and nonsense, where the Springfieldians came to the Simpsons' house (Kent Brockman? WTF!) as if they were so well-known, Homer acted like an embarrasing and tedious joker (Look! He's surfing the net!) and the jokes hardly ever managed to work. After that, it seemed there could be some nice development when Marge started to despise Homer's behaviour. There wasn't a good story around it, but for the first time I could find a character somehow relatable. If Homer was a jerkass at all, at least somebody being bothered by his acts could be slightly interesting.
    Of course, that had to be ruined. What could have been a fairly interesting conflict turned into an insane family jealousy. Marge choosing Bart for the tournament was inconsiderate and/or malicious. Homer being jealous of Bart was... well, neither Wordreference nor Merriam-Webster have the suitable words to describe the damage I felt in my eyes. It was just the wrongest thing I had ever experienced with the show, where my favorite character was a fucking obsessed guy who thought that his wife could be unfaithful to him with his own son. No matter how much they tried to disguise it, his dream was the most disturbing and out of character moment the show has ever given. And I won't insist on explaining why: just try to put this scene in the classic Homer.
    In light of this lousy situation, not only Homer was badly-depicted. Actually none of the family characters worked, and the breakfast scene was simply the worst that has involved the Simpsons family at all, with those two pairs facing each other. The traditional disfunctionality was taken here to a whole new level where it seemed there was not a single sign of love (or at least esteem) at all.
    And finally, the last violation happened at the tournament were Homer-Lisa played against Marge-Bart. As if the rest wasn't enough, here we had some of the most gratuitous guest appearances from the whole series. It was strange to see one famous tennis player in a local tourney, it was odd if there were two, but four was unbelievable at all. And the way they were put in the match, with Homer and Marge showing again their egoistic manners by totally despising Bart and Lisa (it was kinda understandable with Homer, but why Marge? ). Then two new players replaced them and the episode ended with a doubles match with Agassi, Sampras and both Williams sisters, while the family members were reconciliated in the perfect definition for insensitive wackiness.

I can't help but hate it with all my heart. Just a pain in the ass, disgusting, offensive, bottom3 material. If I don't give it a 0 it's because of the three/four good gags that I could find. 2.5/10 and obviously 1/5 at the poll.
    Last edited by jal90; 08-21-2009 at 05:02 PM.

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

3/5. Not as bad as everyone says

Bad, but more entertaining than modern Jean. The plot near the end is pretty ridiculous but at least it's not completely laughless. 2/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nauru-1 View Post
    Bad, but more entertaining than modern Jean. The plot near the end is pretty ridiculous but at least it's not completely laughless. 2/5
    I don't want to sound extremist, but please don't compare. You can say about modern Jean episodes that they are dull as hell, but what this one makes is a violation towards Homer's portrayal. Even if it was more entertaining (and it isn't) it would still be two, maybe three, levels below those.

Quote Originally Posted by Morris Szyslak View Post
    I don't want to sound extremist, but please don't compare. You can say about modern Jean episodes that they are dull as hell, but what this one makes is a violation towards Homer's portrayal. Even if it was more entertaining (and it isn't) it would still be two, maybe three, levels below those.
    Sorry, but I'm going to have to completely disagree with you on this one. I don't particularly care for the characters in most of either the Scully or Jean years so Homer's portrayal likely doesn't phase me anymore anyways. If we must comment on what Homer does in an episode, I couldn't say anything in this episode is seriously worse than Homer trying to smother Grandpa like he did in Papa Don't Leech.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nauru-1 View Post
    Sorry, but I'm going to have to completely disagree with you on this one. I don't particularly care for the characters in most of either the Scully or Jean years so Homer's portrayal likely doesn't phase me anymore anyways. If we must comment on what Homer does in an episode, I couldn't say anything in this episode is seriously worse than Homer trying to smother Grandpa like he did in Papa Don't Leech.
    I have to admit that my view is slightly extreme because I usually attach a lot of importance to the characterizations, as you do the same with the humor. But anyway there are some situations that I simply can't understand being ignored. I need to rewatch Papa Don't Leech and that scene, but I don't think it's as disturbing as Homer seeing Bart as a rival for Marge's love. If it's indeed, I will judge it similarly.
    To be honest, the example I was thinking of was The Last Of The Red Hat Mamas, an episode you seem to despise much more than this one despite it has the characters playing roles according to their motivations at all, maybe not the apotheosis of good characterizations but still solid enough. Tennis The Menace has nothing really worth saving in this sense and that is what I hate the most about it. And, due to the fact that I actually didn't find this episode amusing at all (and TLOTRHM was kinda funny in my view, at least way more humorous than the season 12 crap), I wasn't able to notice those redeeming qualities you seemed to find.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Alright...who purchased this on DVD?

C'mon...fess up.

Quote Originally Posted by Morris Szyslak View Post
    I have to admit that my view is slightly extreme because I usually attach a lot of importance to the characterizations, as you do the same with the humor. But anyway there are some situations that I simply can't understand being ignored. I need to rewatch Papa Don't Leech and that scene, but I don't think it's as disturbing as Homer seeing Bart as a rival for Marge's love. If it's indeed, I will judge it similarly.
    To be honest, the example I was thinking of was The Last Of The Red Hat Mamas, an episode you seem to despise much more than this one despite it has the characters playing roles according to their motivations at all, maybe not the apotheosis of good characterizations but still solid enough. Tennis The Menace has nothing really worth saving in this sense and that is what I hate the most about it. And, due to the fact that I actually didn't find this episode amusing at all (and TLOTRHM was kinda funny in my view, at least way more humorous than the season 12 crap), I wasn't able to notice those redeeming qualities you seemed to find.
    In retrospect a 2/5 is probably too high for this episode. The gags that do work still don't make up for everything else in it. Still, I don't know what it is about the last few seasons but I seem to have trouble finding the humour in it. I usually tend to think I'm fairly liberal when it comes to jokes but I guess it just doesn't strike a chord with me. I should give LOTRHM another shot as it has been a while and I'm sure we all know time does play a factor in one's opinion of things, even if it's not going to flip one's view upside down. That being said, I'll still stand by what I said in that I can get more of the bad Scully episodes than I can the bad Jean ones, which I was essentially trying to imply. I realize it came out a little misleading in my one post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Alright...who purchased this on DVD?

C'mon...fess up.
    I have season 12 on DVD, but certainly not for this one.

4/5
    "The kids these days, they think comedy is dirty words. It's not, it's words that sound dirty, like Muckluck!"

- Krusty The Klown

I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

cleaning my asteroid Roger Wilco's Avatar

uhg, I remember this one as pretty awful.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the chilliman View Post
    Not great. 2/5 D
    My old post from 2006 sums up the episode. Nothing really offensive. The simpsons being rich enough to buy a tennis court was really stupid. It sounded like a premise for a funny episode, like the simpsons getting the pool in Bart of Darkness.
    But a lack of funny moments, and stupid guest stars really ruin it.
    :gatorpee:

Blog Entries

I hated this episode. I mean, you have celeberty guest stars for the sake of guest stars, as opposed to influencing the plot.

Homer's just an unlikable dumbass in the episode, and there are so many bad jokes throughout.

Thread Information