• 2/5

5 2.78%
  • 1/5

4 2.22%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: R&R: "The Telltale Head"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I liked it 3/ 5

It's odd and strange how they don't really care about the Town Founder anymore and in this episode even if you looked at the statue funny you were basically viewed as Satan and even in the new HD opening the bullies cut of his head and nobody really seem to give a toss. :/
    Favorite by season
    1.Krusty Gets Busted 2. Bart Gets An F 3. Lisa's Pony 4. Duffless 5. Homer's Barbershop Quartet 6. And Maggie Makes Three 7. The Curse Of The Flying Hellfish 8. Homer’s Enemy 9. Hurricane Neddy 10. Homer Simpson VS New York 11. Saddlesore Galactica 12. HOMR 13. Tales From the Public Domain.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Not as good as i remembered but still a pretty good episode. Even though the town perhaps overreacted about Bart cutting off the statues head. I could actually relate to Bart, as he was in fear that he had done something bad, when he saw the towns reaction and he was afraid he would get in trouble, so i did not really mind it. Homer listening to football in the church is probably one of my favorite season 1 moments, the sunday school scene was also great. Overall, while its not as good as i remembered its still a good episode. Grade:B
    Last edited by Jerkass Homer; 07-14-2013 at 06:07 AM.

3/5

Good episode

Junior Camper

I really enjoyed this one. The first episode with Jimbo Jones. 4/5

3.8/5
    average episode, still ok though

Blog Entries

5/5

Love the setup with it being a flashback type-thing.

the protagonist of reality Two Guys, a Girl, and a kat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's got everything.

Good plot, Good characterization, Good jokes, Good good, Good episode.

4.5/5 rounded down to 4/5

chalmskin

-from my blog: A Simpsons random review

The Telltale Head

This episode is much different from most. It's mostly a flashback episode, but it only flashes back to the previous day, and because of this, most of it is setup mounting to the big event near the end. A bit like Who Shot Mr. Burns: Part 1 in a way.

Because the event is so serious, this episode is not very funny. A Mirkin episode might have been able to do both, but this is still a great
    episode. And it still has funny parts, such as the Sunday school scene.

Homer and Bart are both characterised perfectly here. Bart's a boy who just wants to make friends. He is mischievous, but he is still reluctant to become friends with Jimbo's gang. Homer's a father who loves his son, but has different ideas about his life to Marge's ideas. All Homer wants to do is watch/listen to the big game, but Marge says he has to go to church. I wouldn't want to go, either (I'm not religious) but Homer just get's a sneaky idea and you can't blame him, really. Although he is meant to be setting an example, in the Simon era he doesn't seem like he knows that.

But I give this episode a 4.5/5 for being funny in parts, being gripping and for having great characterisation. One of the best of Season 1.

7/10: I found this episode pretty enjoyable. My favorite part was the scene where Bart goes to Homer for advice on popularity and Homer tells him its the most important thing in the world. Another one of my favorite moments was the Ninja Bart scene. All in all a pretty well rounded episode more enjoyable than i first remember it.

Another early classic.

5/5

5/5
    Yes right away i admit i'm part bias to this episode because it was the first Simpsons episode i ever saw and i was obviously hooked. My personal fav from Season 1, I just like the plot, and the flashback story-telling. That's all! It's just enjoyable to watch and i never tire of it when i watch it again.

Blog Entries

Since the forums were down for over a day, perhaps I'd like to say that I would like to give "The Telltale Head" a score of four out of five. There were many funny moments like the opening in medias res (and of course the introduction of Jimbo, Dolph, Kearny, Apu, Reverend Lovejoy, and Bart's future frenemy Sideshow Bob), but overall, this episode is good. Not great, but good nonetheless. 4/5

It was a pretty good intro to a bunch of characters, and it's a good story, but there was minimal humor. 4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by snowstormented View Post
    they're accurate as of the 2015 alien dick census

Junior Camper

For it's time, this was a very strong episode. Good story arc, relatable plot that's easy to get invested in, and strong world building for Springfield and the extended cast. Once again Bart carries the better episodes of season 1. The whole "episode starts towards the end and the characters recount what got them there via flashback" is a tried and true narrative technique which the Simpsons usually does well at, and this is no exception. While the premise is odd in retrospect (considering the town really doesn't give a shit about the statue in subsequent seasons, and we know Jebidiah Springfield was a fraud) I can't hold the episode accountable for that, it's the result of time. Create characterization for everyone involve, especially Bart. A tad sappy, but hey, it is season 1.

Definately a memorable outing. 7/10

When Bart cut off the statue of the town's head.

The Telltale Head is one of those episodes that you like the most when you go to an age where you already have a certain maturity. Until before I saw him again to write this review, I would surely have included him among the five worst episodes of the first season, because I did not have the best memories of him. But my perspective changed too much when I saw it again with a critical eye. And this time, unlike some previous cases, it was a positive change.

The plot is too serious and does not give rise to laughter. More about that in paragraph 5.

On this occasion, we have a remarkable story. First, because we are shown one of Bart's most iconic antics, which cuts off the head of the emblem statue of the town, destroying the citizens' morals and showing us the other side of several of them. Get crying in rude characters (e.g. Moe), anger in those who are calm (e.g. Lovejoy) and empathy in the selfish (e.g. Burns). Second, because we are allowed to know a little about the history and reality of Springfield. Until then, Springfield was just a name. But, from here, we know its founder, the controversial Jebediah Springfield, and his heroic victory in a battle against the bear (or, perhaps, his defeat, as that documentary doubts). An enjoyable plot is the necessary basis to have a good performance.

South Park made reference to this prank in his episode 'Simpsons Already Did It'.

The greatness of story generates, in turn, other positive things. We know new places in the city, such as the central square, the Aztec cinema or the popular Kwik-e-Mart. In addition, we have the debut of some secondary/recurring characters. Jimbo, Dolph and Kearney present themselves as something more than the bullies of the town. They are criminals, without worries and evil by nature. We also have the first appearance of Apu that, as it could not be otherwise, happens in the Kwik-E-Mart. Sideshow Bob is another character who makes his debut. He does it as patiño, and then as part of the crowd that wanted to kill Bart (this was an omen?). Thanks to this appearance, its protagonism in Krusty Gets Busted would be more fluid. The other character that appears for the first time is Tim Lovejoy, who has good moments exercising his trade.

Look at that innocent face. He did not know the future that awaited him.

Bart is the absolute protagonist of this story. And the child was really put to good use. The contrast between him and the bullies is remarkable. He likes to tease and vandalize them. He feels remorse after doing something wrong and they do not. He has limits, and they do not. Bart is not a criminal or a sociopath, and it is something that was understood on this occasion. I also find Homer's characterization very appropriate. His version as a well-meaning father who gets everything wrong is my favorite. His advice is the trigger of the problem in which Bart got himself, and he, far from washing his hands, assumes to the ultimate consequences with his son. Marge, meanwhile, is too irritating in the first act. His reactions to Homer's actions are too exaggerated. I do not like it when she seeks to take everyone to her religion. If your husband prefers the game to religion, it's not your problem, woman.

This reaction of Bart before the theft to the Kwik-E-Mart is fantastic.

Another positive aspect is the animation. Since Bart the General has improved markedly, although I mention here to highlight the crowd scenes. They have made an effort to include characters instead of figures, and that is remarkable. The only thing that works against here is humor. There are some moments of fun, like when Homer interrupts Lovejoy, or when Homer advises Bart. However, in general, it is an episode that lacks humorous scenes. Something that is not necessarily negative but that, particularly, I did not like, is the development of the plot in the style of flashback. I think it tries to generate a surpassing effect that is not achieved. Maybe, if the narration was normal, it would have been better, because, come on, a mob like that would not wait 20 minutes.

Bart could have omitted certain details, or no?

The Telltale Head is a good episode that I have refused for years for his lack of humor, but he reconquered me when I understood that he has a fantastic story, presentations of new characters, shows the history of Springfield and good use of Bart and Homer.

4/5
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 11-09-2018 at 07:22 PM.

4.6/5 - One of the middling episodes from me from Season 1, it's still one I remember fondly. Season 1 is unique for giving Bart a reason for acting out, here wanting to be one of the "cool kids", whereas later seasons show him trying to keep up a self-conscious bad boy persona or compelled by some internal darkness (sometimes literally the Devil). In Season 1, Bart doesn't want to be bad - he wants to be popular or special.

For me what keeps this from being a 5/5 episode for me is that the moralizing is a bit heavy-handed and not satirized enough. Bart steals the head, feels bad about it, returns it and is cheered for his honesty. "Bart the Genius" has a similar plot of Bart doing something bad and getting away with it, then eventually doing the right thing. In that episode, however, Bart's honesty isn't rewarded - he's chased through the house, naked and green, by an enraged Homer. The Simpsons was unique in subverting the traditional moral messaging of other family sitcoms by showing the reality that oftentimes there is no reward for honesty. There is some attempt in this episode to highlight the silliness of a bloodthirsty torch-wielding mob being instantly appeased ("Somehow I don't feel like killing anymore!") but it's not as effective as it could be.

Still this episode is well worth watching, and as a bonus includes Bart dressed as a ninja which I always thought was pretty funny.

Another underrated episode. The plot was great some character introduction like the prototype of sideshow bob. I love the fact this episode had two different endings 5/5

Thread Information