Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R&R: "The Telltale Head"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

an ambitious episode at the time

4/5

Junior Camper

is castellaneta the voice of krusty in this episode?

You Know, THAT one ThatAsianGuy's Avatar

It's funny how South Park referenced this episode in Cartoon Wars Pt. II as being kind of lame for a badboy persona. 5/5, a good episode nonetheless.

it's an all right episode. gets worse each time i see it so i guess in like three years i'll hate it or something.

3.5/5
    Last edited by Green Man; 02-16-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Banned

4/5
    good episode.homer at the church was so funny.

Blog Entries

Occaisionally dull, but overall a good episode, most stuff worked but with the typical Season 1 problems. I'll give it an 11/15
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

Blog Entries

i didn't hate it i didn't like it

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

the church scene was pretty decent and the introduction of the bullies was nice but overall the episode wasn't really that great sstill a C+

Another clever season 1 outing with an awesome story. It's one of those early classic Bart episodes that I view as quite iconic for the series. My thid favourite of season 1. 4/5 (B+)
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Tell-Tale Head

This is the beginning of the classic simpsons every episode after this are great. This episode is great so funny and makes you feel for the characters. This is not a wacky far out episode it just focuses on the characters. The jokes are the seasons best and is one of the best season 1 episodes (Only behind Krusty Gets Busted) This episode also introduces some great characters (Apu, Krusty and the bullies)
    A great story, Great jokes = A great episode

Score for The Tell-Tale Head: B, 3.5/5, 7.5/10, Great

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In retrospect:

Quote Originally Posted by cinco View Post
    After the messy "some enchanted evening"-episode, Matt Groening and Sam Simon wrote "the telltale head" together. (7th episode in production-line, 8th episode to air) In "the telltale head" the Simpsons-universe came into place. First appearance of the Kwik-E-mart, the church, the movie-theater, the Jebediah Springfield-statue, Sideshow Bob, Jimbo, Dolph, Kearney, Apu, Lovejoy, the first hint of Smithers' feelings for Burns and it also contained the first mob-scene. And the people who didn't see the shorts saw Krusty for the first time. (please remember this episode was produced before "Simpsons roasting on an open fire")
    When I saw this episode 20 years ago, I really felt the wider premise of the show. And that was also the idea of Matt Groening. A coherent universe with own shows like the Happy Little Elves, the Krusty Show and Itchy and Scratchy, a show within a show (Krusty Show) within a show (The Simpsons).
    A universe with brands like Buzz Cola, Duff Beer, Laramie Cigarettes, Malibu Stacey... A universe with 80+ characters. You could feel the possibilities right from the beginning. Springfield was alive inside my mind and I was glad to be able to visit it again and again.

Not one of my favourites for season 1, but a half-decent episode of morals and peer pressure from the show.

3/5

Great episode. 5/5. Extremely underrated, just like most of season 1.

Great episode for the start of a show. We shouldn't judge the episode on it's animation. 4/5.

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It wasn't that funny and may be overly moralistic at points, but on the whole I thought it was a solid episode. The story was pretty interesting and I liked Bart's "conversations" with the head. Though I do think more scenes revolving around Bart's guilt would have improved the episode. As for the story structure, I was indifferent to it. I thought it worked, but I think the episode would have worked without it either way, so in that respect it could be seen as a gimmick, but as said I thought it was fine. Solid but not great - B and a low 4/5.

Banned

5/5 Absolutely wonderful episode and whoever doesn't like the animation of it well is a moron.

Blog Entries

Good episode but a little dull.
    I like that Bart becomes friend with the bullies. 4/5

hidle-onar-takan-thran Toomanygrandmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

- Tells a good tale-

Like much of Season 1, I hadn't seen 'The Telltale Head' until recently. I don't like the first season as much as the following seven, so I wasn't going into this episode expecting it to be fantastic. However, whilst this episode wasn't fantastic, I did find it to be a pleasant surpsise. This review might end up being short, because I can only really say one thing about it. I liked it.

Okay, I can probably say more than that. The 'Telltale Head' has quite a good premise. It's no wacky adventure like 'The Call of the Simpsons', or something like 'Homer's Night Out', which ends up feeling too much like a traditional sitcom, but was just a story about Bart and the town's respect for Jebediah Springfield. There have only been two episodes about Jebediah so far, and I can safely say that I enjoyed 'Lisa the Iconoclast' quite a bit more than this. However, that isn't to say that this episode is bad or anything, it's just that 'Lisa the Iconoclast' is excellent. Methinks we are well due for another Jebediah episode. One thing I enjoyed in this episode was the Homer and Bart father and son interaction. Though I don't love Season 1, their relationship is something that the season does well. I also liked the structure of the episode, with the story beginning at the end and working as a flashback. The episode started off well - the scenes at the church were good, with Homer 'listening' to Lovejoy. I also found Bart's inane and pointless questions to the Sunday School teacher pretty entertaining. The episode goes down slightly in the second act. Some bits drag a bit, and the bullies saying the head should be cut off but later dismissing it as 'cloud-talk' in the third act didn't make a lot of sense, in terms of a change of attitude. The third act is better, with Bart's guilt setting in, and the town showing their anger at the act. I've always liked how Jebediah is the one thing that keeps Springfield united (which is why the ending to 'Lisa the Iconoclast' is so great). The episode ends where the episode began. It's generally a decent ending, but seems a tad too moralistic. It seems that the show felt like the episode had to have a moral or something. It's fine having morals, but it seemed a little heavy handed in this episode.

However, overall, 'The Telltale Head' is a good episode. Though there are the issues with the morals and whatnot, it is generally entertaining, with an interesting plot, good characterisation and most of the things needed to make a good episode.

+ Story was interesting
    + Good Homer/Bart characterisation and interaction
    + Funny at times

- Sometimes, the morals were a bit heavy handed
    - Went down a bit in the second act

4/5 or 7.5/10
    Poochie needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine

Banned

5/5

After two slightly weaker episodes we are back into classic territory. A strong storyline (nice storytelling device, the use of a flashback to tell the story), and quite funny. The first act was particularly funny, with the Simpsons preparing for church and then at church and Sunday school, the other acts were less joke-intensive but still fine. Introduction of Reverend Lovejoy. The character work was particularly good too in this Bart-centric story, with Bart as a mischievous boy with a good heart, who gets into very deep trouble in a misguided attempt to impress some older and cool troublemakers he wants to be friends with. Then his remorsefulness and his conversations with Jebediah Springfield's head were nicely done, and the story ends with some good father-son moments and a mob calmed with a heartfelt speech from Bart.

Grade: A

Banned
    Blog Entries

OK i guess. 3/5

Professional Burger Stealer Krusty Burglar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked this episode, but it just wasn't..... I don't know....it just didn't feel like an A grade episode. I liked the plot (however it's strange how Kearney, Dolph, Jimbo, and Nelson are throwing rocks at Jebadiah Springfield's statue, and yet later on, they call Bart's act sickening.)

4/5

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

High 3/5. Really nice episode. Liked the whole stealing the head thing.

Bring on the men Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I never thought this episode was that wonderful. It just never really held my attention for some reason, and I find it hard to believe that the town would be that upset over a statue.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Nature's Cruelest Mistake Infinity183's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    I never thought this episode was that wonderful. It just never really held my attention for some reason, and I find it hard to believe that the town would be that upset over a statue.
    There is a such thing as town pride, and to behead a statue of the town's hero has to stir up a great deal of controversy.
    My favorite and least favorite episodes from each season:
    S1 - Krusty Gets Busted / The Call of the Simpsons S2 - Lisa's Substitute / The War of the Simpsons S3 - Homer at the Bat / Dog of Death S4 - Marge vs. the Monorail / Whacking Day S5 - Marge on the Lam / Bart Gets an Elephant S6 - Who Shot Mr. Burns?: Part 1 / Another Simpsons Clip Show S7 - Bart on the Road / Homerpalooza S8 - You Only Move Twice / The Twisted World of Marge Simpson S9 - The Joy of Sect / All Singing, All Dancing S10 - Simpsons Bible Stories / Sunday, Cruddy Sunday S11 - Treehouse of Horror X / It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge S12 - Trilogy of Error / Tennis the Menace S13 - Half-Decent Proposal / The Sweetest Apu S14 - Moe Baby Blues / Brake My Wife, Please S15 - The Way We Weren't / Bart-Mangled Banner S16 - Sleeping with the Enemy / Thank God, It's Doomsday S17 - The Girl Who Slept Too Little / Homer's Paternity Coot S18 - 24 Minutes / The Boys of Bummer S19 - Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Treehouse of Horror XVIII S20 - Gone, Maggie Gone / Dangerous Curves S21 - O Brother, Where Bart Thou? / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed S22 - Homer the Father / The Fool Monty S23 - The Book Job / Politically Inept, with Homer Simpson S24 - The Saga of Carl / Love is a Many-Splintered Thing

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

They were also upset over the Lemon Tree a few seasons later.

Bring on the men Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know...I'll watch it again to see if I can pinpoint exactly what bothers me about it.

People shouldn't mark this episode down because it was badly animated. This was the early 90s! Also, this a classic episode which I remember watching as a kid. 5/5

Blog Entries

well that it was made in the 90s is no excuse really.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

7/10

Thread Information