View Poll Results: rate, review, you know the drill

Voters
232. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - "That's been a Simpson trademark for generations."

128 55.17%
  • 4/5 - "Would have got an A but I was sick."

75 32.33%
  • 3/5 - Hey, I couldn't think up one for 3/5 on 7G13, either.

24 10.34%
  • 2/5 - "I just can't stand the barking any more."

4 1.72%
  • 1/5 - "I am disgusted with the way old people are depicted on television."

1 0.43%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: R&R: "Bart The General"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Brilliant 5/5 episode

6/10: This episode had its moments. Nelson disfiguring barts face was pretty funny. Another funny moment was when grandpa simpson bashed homer with water ballons and homer reffered to him as a grey haired kid.

Pretty good. Establishes Nelson and Grandpa as recurring characters, but I wasn't blown away by it. I've only seen a few episodes so far but I wouldn't say it's my favorite. I preferred the very first episode and Bart The Genius over this one. More dynamic characters and timeless plots in those episodes.
    Curator of SIMPSONSRELEASES.COM, keeping track of all Simpsons DVD & Bu-Ray releases.

A classic season 1 episode.

5/5

Another very good one! Not the best of the season, but great nonetheless. 88/100
    "It's a ring toss game." –Homer Simpson

Support me in helping to review every single Simpsons episode so far! (Best in blue and worst in red)

Season 1
    Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire: 75/100
    Bart the Genius: 93/100
    Homer's Odyssey: 70/100
    There's No Disgrace Like Home: 89/100
    Bart the General: 88/100
    Moaning Lisa: 83/100
    Call of the Simpsons: 81/100

4/5
    Probably one of the really first classic Season 1 episodes people remember besides the premiere. I really like this one. I think one of the funniest scenes is in the bathroom with Homer, Marge, & Bart. Herman gets a lot of screen time too in this episode, probably his longest other than 22 Short Films Of Springfield & The Springfield Connection but those are minor.

Junior Camper

It is a very good episode.

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

This episode is brilliant, no doubt about it. It features some of the best character moments of the first season, and an awesome climax. A+

Very funny IMO, probably my favorite for season 1. Good jokes, and a good intro to Nelson's character. 5/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowstormented View Post
    they're accurate as of the 2015 alien dick census

Junior Camper

4/5 Good episode. As others have mentioned, this one has a very Saturday morning cartoon-type feel to it, which I think adds to its charm.

Banned

4/5, quite a good episode, though it wasn't the best episode from Season 1. It's among the top 10 of Season 1 though.

Junior Camper

This is more like it. The first episode of the series to feel like a classic to me, and probably my favourite episode of season 1, along with 'Life in the Fast Lane'. There were early signs of the Simpsons unique humour which would become more cemented in later seasons, such as Homer drying Bart's eyes with the hairdryer, maybe the first use of allusions to classic cinema the series would become synonumous with, and further character development for Bart. He really was the best and most layered character in the early seasons. Everything about this episode worked so well, and it's a relatable story with a strong emotional center. You really sympathize with Bart, something the show forgot how to do at some point? Hey, remember how Bart used to be likeable? A troublemaker with problems, but a good kid at heart? Instead of just a jerk.

The Bart and Lisa relationship is probably my favourite on the show, and I love how despite their rivalry, they stick up for each other in times of crisis, like Bart did with Nelson. Who would've thought he'd become such an important character? And the climactic scene is fantastic.

Overall, great episode. Only downside is that, again like most of season 1, it lacks the humour and wit the later seasons brought. 8/10

The first chapter in the novel by Nelson and Bart.

Bart the General shows us how a sensitive subject can be treated with humor. How a war can be fun. How a child afraid to die can make you laugh. Because this is The Simpsons. The specialty in generating a mixture of sensations that leads you to mourn with laughter to feel sadness in a matter of seconds. The story, which is strong and impressive, is easy to see thanks to the jokes that are in it.

I laughed a lot more than I should in this scene.

And this is a story that is strong and impressive. We have an explicit sample of the bullying that Bart receives at the hands of Nelson. We have Bart crying disconsolate for not being able to deal with the situation. We literally have a war between an army of children in front of a defenseless bully, who is betrayed by his companions. But all this is cushioned by moments that really get some laughs, like Bart's faces every time Nelson hits him, Homer drying his son's tears, and Grampa throwing water balloons at his son. We even have a scene in which Bart, scared, imagines his death, but Homer, Milhouse, Lisa and Nelson give him a funny tone with his indifference and / or lack of respect.

The faces of Bart to be hit by Nelson have no waste.

Another key to the success of the episode lies in the characterizations. Nelson had an impeccable presentation as the bravado of the series. We see him as aggressive and abusive in front of Bart. Bart, on the other hand, is helpless in comparison, but he is also brave, strong and persevering. And he has a beautiful gesture with his sister. Homer tries to be a good father, but his advice is detrimental to his son. Marge tries to fix all conflicts through dialogue. And Grampa demonstrates his utility to be the one who solves the problem of his grandson (with Herman's help), in addition to revealing his past of war and his great facet of an old complainer. Oh, and Herman has a memorable performance with the follies he performed in every scene he witnessed. The only one that leaves something to be desired is Lisa, who keeps out of all the problems that Bart was generated by defending her.

It's a shame how little use we had of Herman. His madness is fun.

Another aspect that highlights this episode over the rest of season 1 is the amount - and quality - of the cultural references. The winks to wars and the most important peace treaties in history are easy to understand and enjoy. In addition, the scene in which a child kisses Lisa after Bart's triumph, the one that emulates the photograph of Alfred Eisenstaedt on the day of the American victory over Japan in the Second World War, has remained in the history of the show as one of the most iconic references in history. I'm sure many of us know the photo because of the contribution of the show. In addition, in the epilogue, Bart makes mention of Star Wars as one of the best wars in history, which made me laugh.

This was the first kiss we have seen of a Simpson child.

And the last thing I want to highlight are the songs that Bart teaches his troop. They are excellent. I never get tired of listening to them and, every time I watch the episode again, I look forward to those scenes. If I have to name a negative aspect, it is the end. I can not find the reason why Nelson accepts the pact of surrender so drafted by Herman so quickly. It will be because he did not want to remain tied, because he would continue as the authority figure or because he wanted to eat a little cake right away? We will never know, but those are the hypotheses that occur to me. Or, well, maybe there was simply no time for more, which is much more likely.

It's a happy ending, but it's also a bit hasty.

Bart the General is probably the strongest and most enjoyable episode of the first season. The good use of the characters, the brilliant introduction to Nelson Muntz, the interesting story and the effective humor that is used repeatedly make it the first 'great' episode the Simpsons ever had. The first of many...

5/5
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 11-09-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Why do people go gaga over this episode. I thought it was an average episode at best , don't see what the big deal is. Me personally i didn't care for much of this episode. Only jokes i thought were funny were grampa throwing a water balloon at homer and jasper/grampa fighting over the newspaper 2/5

Thread Information