View Poll Results: We're here to rate 7G13, people.

Voters
183. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - "I got a weakness for the classics."

70 38.25%
  • 4/5 - "So, basically, I saw one nice French episode."

69 37.70%
  • 3/5 - I can't think of an option. Or an anecdote in its place.

33 18.03%
  • 2/5 - "I hate France."

7 3.83%
  • 1/5 - "If you shut up and do exactly what we say, the time will pass more quickly."

4 2.19%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R&R: "The Crepes of Wrath"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Decent episode but like every episodes of the season 1, a little dull.
    At the end, when Bart starts to speak french, I've always found that surrealistic.
    Nice story though. 3/5

Banned

5/5

Banned

This episode is definitely underrated.

Very funny first act, with Bart's pranks and Skinner and Homer's talk, which was hilarious, with both of them wanting to "deport" Bart. Then, Bart's story in France is dramatic rather than funny, while the subplot of the Albanian boy in Springfield was wacky and more funny (don't miss Skinner's welcome speech). Good characterization and a decent story. Grade: A-

Banned
    Blog Entries

Terrible. 1/5

Professional Burger Stealer Krusty Burglar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was okay, not a masterpiece though. I did find the side plot with Adele and Homer to be somewhat amusing though.

Is it about my cube? Cornerstone's Avatar

I think I've seen this episode once in my life. It was on TV, but other than that one time, it seems like it's never actually been on TV.

I remember not really liking it though. I thought the scenes with Bart in France weren't good. I'm not gonna give a rating. I need to watch it again.
    1. And Maggie Makes Three
    2. Lisa On Ice
    3. Duffless
    4. Lisa Gets an 'A'
    5. The Otto Show

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I just noticed that Bart gets his wish of living as a frog. This is my second favourite season 1 episode. I like the darker stories (if they are pulled off, which this one was), and this is just an entertaining episode. With the exception of the scenes with Agnes, this episode probably feels the least like it is from season 1 to me. 7/10

Banned
    Blog Entries

This is a pretty good episode. The beginning, Homers and Skinners reaction to Bart getting expelled, Barts prank, Bart trying to talk to the frenchmen about the sitaution, Bart when he gets introduced to france, and Bart when talks french are all things i really enjoyed. I have read comments about this episode being very out-there. And well its true, i guess that the story gets a little unrealisic at points, like when Adil use the spy-bird. But i dont really mind it that much. And remember wacky does not always equal bad. I suppose my major grip, would be again that its not very memorable. Grade:B
    Last edited by Jerkass Homer; 07-14-2013 at 06:08 AM.

3/5

Pretty good one

Junior Camper

One of the first episodes I ever watched and loved it. I wish Cesar and Ugolin would make another appearance. 5/5

Blog Entries

5/5

Great "vacation" episode.

the protagonist of reality Two Guys, a Girl, and a kat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can this technically be called a travel episode? :PPPPP

3/5 average.

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

One of the darkest Simpsons episodes ever.

Bart is kept as a slave, Homer prefers his "adopted" son, the exchange student is a spy.

Yet... this episode cracks my Top 50. It's probably my favourite of Season 1 but I'd have to rewatch Roasting Fire and Bart the General to make that call. It's not very funny if I'm honest but the plot is brilliant and everything just clicks.

5/5.
    Last edited by Elliot76; 01-18-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    "Maybe there is no moral. Maybe it’s just a bunch of stuff that happened."
    - The Simpsons

7/10. This was a pretty good episode. Quite forgettable but it had its moments. I thought it was pretty funny Homer's ignorance to Adel's interest and reason, in the power plant. Barts sequence in this episode wasnt as amusing though.

This might be the best of season one for me and the only season one episode I would really want to spend the time re-watching any time soon ("Bart the Genius" might be there for me as well). The French humor is fantastic, and Adil is a compelling one-off character. Bart wearing a beret is priceless.
    Curator of SIMPSONSRELEASES.COM, keeping track of all Simpsons DVD & Bu-Ray releases.

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is my least favorite episode from season 1, but that doesn't mean it's bad by any means.
    I highly enjoy the main plot with Bart in France, but the satire in the sub-plot is a little hit-and-miss. I don't like how the boy just turned out to be evil all of a sudden.
    There are some classic jokes, like Bart flushing down a cherry bomb in the toilet while Agnes Skinner is there (this is by the way her first appearance, and she's much nicer here than in later appearances), Homer tripping on Bart's toys and lying there for HOURS and we also have the hilarious one-time characters Cesar and Ugolin.
    A minor classic which still holds up in re-watches. 7.8/10
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 06-07-2015 at 10:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

From Season 1 episodes, I have seen this episode the least, I don't know why.

"I'll send you those civil defense plans you wanted".

Classic Homer.

A good episode overall.

4/5

3/5
    I don't think it's bad by any means...i just don't like it so much when comparing it to other Season 1 episodes. Still good though, i agree with the animation being alot neater on this particular episode as well.

Very underrated, I think it has a great plot, Cesar and Ugolin being one of the best one-time characters in the show. Totally my favorite of the season.

9/10

This one was rather emotional and good, but Bart suddenly speaking French after eating a candy was random and felt like a cop-out. Also, Adil turning out to be a spy was also pretty random as well.

Really enjoyed it, and it does seem like a season 2 (or even maybe 3) episode. Nice to see jerk characters getting what they deserve, since I don't see that a lot in TV nowadays. 5/5.

Junior Camper

Despite having more cartoony animation, ironically season 1 is rather grounded in reality storywise. They show wouldn't delve into surrealism until season 4 (my personal favourite season). That makes the darker tone of these episodes stand out so much more. We've already seen Homer try to kill himself, Lisa become depressed, and now Bart is forced into slavery by two abusive Frenchmen and made to drink anti-freeze. That being said, I enjoyed this more than the other more depressing episodes, probably because I'm more emotionally invested in the season 1 iteration of Bart than I am Lisa or Homer. The latter aren't themselves yet, but Bart is. He's the strongest character at the moment, and he carries this episode through its dark plot. I was genuinely emotional when Bart was reading the letter from his mom about how every was fine at home as he lay on the floor. The subplot created an interesting dynamic where you became indignant on Bart's behalf due to Homer focusing all his son-ly love on Emil (that was his name right?) even though there's no way for him to know what was happening to his real son. Not to mention it was really funny how oblivious he was to Emil's real intentions.

Overall, decent episode. 7/10

A source of fun Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Adil was his name. Adil Hoxha.

I like these reviews. Keep them up.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

A shocking adventure, without the seal of The Simpsons.

The Crepes of Wrath is, without a doubt, the strongest and most shocking that The Simpsons have ever had in its history. Oblivious to those inoffensive and pleasant plots with which we had already become accustomed, here is a completely different style, one of those that are usually awarded at the Oscars ceremony. Of those who give a very low blow to the fans, and that makes them think about the reality that surrounds us.

Realism is such that one can feel Bart's suffering and gloom.

Is that, if you think about it, the main plot shows Bart, a 10-year-old boy, being a slave to two criminals. Explicitly and without even a filter. We see how they exploit him in a job, how he is stripped of his property, how he is beaten for eating a grape, where he is made to sleep; and that he is given wine that contains anti-frezee. It is very shocking, and much more if you think you are watching The Simpsons. It's strange, because it does not have the essence of the show, but it has a dignified quality by itself. On the other hand, the secondary plot is also based on crimes and betrayals. In this case, an Albanian exchange boy steals the nuclear secrets of the United States by abusing his unbelieving 'father'. Again, this is not The Simpsons we know, but it's a good thing to see if you forget about it. And it is not traumatizing, as is Bart's.

He is Adil, the 10-year-old boy who steals nuclear secrets from the United States.

The characters of special appearance are three, and all three are criminals who end up in jail after the culmination of the episode. On the one hand, we have Cesar & Ugolin. Two spectacular characters, but too evil to be part of this show. His tyranny and malice are allusive. I have already detailed the ordeal that makes Bart live. His list of crimes is very extensive to appear about 7 minutes on the screen. On the other hand, Adil appears. A little strange even though he is also an antagonist. I like this character. His appearance is adorable and tender until we know his true goal. He is smart and is pleased with The Simpsons, even after being arrested. He manages to demonstrate several facets in a very short time, and leaves the question of whether they are acted or are true. And it must be said, his 'excellent' sounded as perverse as those of Mr. Burns. All three are great characters.

And they are Cesar & Ugolin. They do not belong to 12 Years a Slave. They are from The Simpsons.

Although humor is not the most important thing in this case, there are also moments for this. The particular thing is that it is always starring Homer. For his anger, for his disbelief, for his sadness, and even when he shows intelligence. Almost everything Homer does here is cause for laughter. I think this is the first outstanding performance of a member of the cast. Dan Castellaneta showed off. But, as I said, humor is not the most important thing. The objective, in this case, is to make the spectator feel uncomfortable, and force them to think and reflect on their reality. And boy they got it with me. During my childhood, I was afraid that something similar to me could happen to what happens to Bart. And now, reaching adulthood, I am moved every time I see the treatment the child receives and it makes me think about how bad the world is for these atrocities to take place on a daily basis.

Almost everything Homer does here is cause for laughter for me. Including this greeting.

I had many things to mention in the last paragraph of development. One of them is that Bart's trip to France would not be alien to stereotypes. In fact, the policeman who rescues him is more irritated by the damage Cesar & Ugolin do to the wine before the child. By the way, the scene in which Bart notes that he can speak French is really adorable and touching. The music and the performance of Nancy Cartwright give it a special touch. On the other hand, the scene in which Ugolin and Bart approach the winery has spectacular artistic landscapes. Back in Springfield, it must be said that Marge recovers the personality that characterizes her and acts like a fantastic mother, at least in the first act. I remembered my mother very much at that moment. Another mother that appears is Agnes Skinner, who is less grumpy but just as close to Seymour. By the way, speaking of Seymour, the scene in which he and Homer celebrate is my favorite of the episode.

This show of relaxation knowing that they would not have to deal with Bart is fantastic. Even Homer overcomes his back pain.

The Crepes of Wrath is the only episode of the show that I really like, despite having left on the road the essence of The Simpsons. So that's the way it is, that I would nominate this episode as the best animated one in the Emmys of 1990, but not the best of the first season of The Simpsons. It makes sense, even if it seems incoherent.

4/5
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 11-10-2018 at 05:29 AM.

Didn't like this episode. I don't get the appeal. One of my least favorite "around the world episode" 2/5

Good episode.
    I especially like Bart's part of the plot.

TOTAL 86.2/100. GOOD!
    The first of many travel episodes and #9 in my personal top of travel episodes. (however, it could be better)
    Also, this episode is in 2nd plase of this season episodes.
    IMHO the most and the least favourite episodes of each season (without trilogy episodes, upd. 30/10/19):
    1. There’s No Disgrace Like Home/Homer’s Night Out 2. Old Money/Simpson and Delilah 3. Bart the Lover/Homer Alone 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Marge in Chains 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Burns’ Heir 6. Two Dozen and One Greyhounds/A Star Is Burns 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Bart the Fink 8. Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious/The Springfield Files 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Das Bus 10. Maximum Homerdrive/Monty Can’t Buy Me Love 11. Grift of the Magi/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Three Gays of the Condo 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Sleeping with the Enemy/Pranksta Rap 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Bart Has Two Mommies 18. The Wife Aquatic/The Haw-Hawed Couple 19. He Loves to Fly and He D’ohs/Smoke on the Daughter 20. Coming to Homerica/Lisa the Drama Queen 21. Chief of Hearts/Stealing First Base 22. The Ned-Liest Catch/Love Is a Many Strangled Thing 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. The Saga of Carl/Penny-Wiseguys 25. Brick Like Me/The Man Who Grew Too Much 26. Bart’s New Friend/Simpsorama 27. Halloween of Horror/Every Man’s Dream 28. 22 for 30/Trust but Clarify 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/101 Mitigations
    I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

Thread Information