0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R&R - Homer and Apu

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

incredibly underrated. A

Hey there, handsome OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One of the most underrated episodes of season 5. With Apu in the main plot, you can rarely go wrong. Lots of great jokes and even a classic musical number! 9/10
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 09-28-2016 at 05:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Even though the main joke is repeated, it somehow gets funnier every time. It has a great ending, too, so that doesn't make it any worse. 10/10, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by snowstormented View Post
    they're accurate as of the 2015 alien dick census

Great episode, need to watch it again some time. A+

As a Singaporean Chinese where a large population of Indians are native people in my country, this was a compelling watch that makes me appreciate the ambitiousness of the writer in playing around with Apu's cultural roots, even if they didn't really explore it thoroughly. The idea of Indians being offended by Christians was amusing, and it's probably something you couldn't get away with in today's PC culture. The fact that the Kwik-E-Mart headquarters resides in India of all places is so absurd, yet it fits perfectly with the other equally absurd elements of the Simpsons universe and its cartoon logic. The only thing that would've made this episode even more ambitious is if they had Apu singing it in Bollywood style instead.

But when it comes down to it, I guess I just have a lot of love for episodes that explore characterization, especially characterization of the side characters in the series we simply never had the chance to know better.

The only part of this episode I couldn't care about is James Wood. I didn't grow up with his movies, and I have no clue at all about any of the movie references in this episode. Regardless, this one gets a solid A.

Has a cooking pan on his head Trab Pu Kcip's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Who Needs The Kwik-E-Mart? I Don't!

Anyway, good episode, filled with good songs, funny scenes and is was a splendid watch.

4.5/5

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Borner1990

Act 1 - the "eternal" problem of expired products at "Kwik-E-Mart" is revealed - Yay!?..
    Act 2 - Funny and annoying
    Act 3 - Great "trip to India", but the final resolution was... meh

Simple plot, centered (for the first time) on Apu. However, "Kwik-E-Mart" wasn't definitely so bad shop (like that contrast "Monstomart"). The first act (I meant problem) written on purpose of being all rest episode.

As for James Woods, he was funny in act 2, and, again, that "trip to India" with Homer is hilarious, but the finale of all that story would be better (first, at least, the robber could be Snake…).

Oh, almost forgot - the song was fine.

plot 16/25
    absurdity level (the possibility of what is happening) 20/25
    comedy 18/25
    originary (level of references and of unoriginality) 19/25

TOTAL 73/100 (4/5 up from 3.5 with rounding or B-). GOOD!
    IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 15/12/20):
    1. Moaning Lisa/Some Enchanted Evening 2. Bart vs. Thanksgiving/Itchy & Scratchy & Marge 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/The Otto Show 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Selma’s Choice 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Homer the Vigilante 6. Two Dozen and One Greyhounds/Lisa’s Rival 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Homerpalooza 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Homer They Fall 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Bart Star 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Monty Can’t Buy Me Love 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Helter Shelter 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Goo Goo Gai Pan/A Star Is Torn 17. The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/Marge and Homer Turn a Couple Play 18. 24 Minutes/Treehouse of Horror XVII 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20. Coming to Homerica/Treehouse of Horror XIX 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Blue and the Gray/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Gorgeous Grampa 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture 31. The Way of the Dog/The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    1 > 2 > 4 > 7 > 3 > 6 > 8 > 5 > 27 > 21 > 9 > 12 > 20 > 25 > 29 > 10 > 17 > 26 > 24 > 15 > 18 > 13 > 14 > 28 > 19 > 31 > 30 > 16 > 23 > 11 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

Thread Information