• 4/5

31 18.24%
  • 5/5

16 9.41%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate And Review: Sunday Cruddy Sunday

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

SuperFriend Theres Always a Bigger Fish's Avatar

Terrible episode. There are basically no jokes, the plot is awful, the subplot is even worse. One of the worst of all time.

F+

After the recent seasons I actually think this is not a bad episode.

C

her cocoa is so chuggable PreciousBodilyFluids's Avatar

This was the first episode I hated.
    I still hate it.
    F

Formerly Mladen Rest your giant head's Avatar

I haven't seen this episode in a long time, I simply forgot how good it was! I remembered it as a much worse episode.

The most important thing in The Simpsons is humor. We all know many episodes from the classic era with ridiculous ideas, but, man, those were so funny. So I'll just mention a bunch of moments that cracked me up: post-office workers opening other people's mail, ''Legends of comedy, my tochis", Milhouse getting his Christmas letter to Santa, Ralph thinking he got dog food, Homer imagining himself at the Superbowl, his telephone conversation with Lennie, pip-squeak Rudy, and the unforgetable ''Keep away Lovejoy's collar!'' joke.

Then comes the weird third act that I absolutely loved for some reason. Although it had some unrealistic moments (like Dolly Parton's makeup), most of it was very funny, especialy with the group ending up at the team's locker room. The phone call by Clinton was hilarious.

The subplot, however, brought the episode down a bit. I know writers needed something to fill the few missing minutes, but it was still lame. The ending with the sportcasters talking about the episode pointed out some mistakes in the episode, but it was a funny way. It's still an underrated episode, though.

B
    Marmalade,I love marmalade...

An extremely lazy episode, bar a few clever gags. C+

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wiggum, Homer, Lenny, Carl, Moe, Barney, Krusty... How is it possible that neither of these characters have decent gags in this episode? It should be a crazy and full of jokes episode, but it's a boring and childish accumulation of characters. The subplot is also awful (Why are all of Marge's subplots in season 10 so awful?). 4/10.

Electrified Fooling Machine Mindy Simmons's Avatar

I haven't seen it in years, but when it aired, for the first time I thought, "wow, The Simpsons actually put out a bad episode. I'm shocked."
    Dramatization: May not have happened.

I like this episode, it's really funny, even though it's kind of stupid, I like it's twist on the normal "football episode idea". Though I did enjoy the football halftime show episode more.

Blog Entries

This episode is a bit average, if not below. I think i may have seen it a couple times too many, because I am rarely able to watch it on my DVD player. And of course, it seems really lazy, especially near the end.

Good episode, I can't believe people think that Wild Barts Can't Be Broken and Mayored to the Mob is better than this.

My favourite sequence:

Homer: My friends...
    Krusty: They don't have the tickets!
    Moe: Kill 'em!

For the most part this is quite a poor episode. Characters are all the place, the storyline is pretty much based on tangents, and most of the behaviour is more annoying than anything else. It can get pretty tiring. What this does have to offer are a few gags I really like. I really like the Catholic Church commercial, Homer's daydream where he is picked out of the crowd, and the behind the glasses joke (despite that they kind of miffed on the best part of the gag). That's probably what separates an episode like this from my more maligned episodes of today, where the actual story is more focused and less juvenile but there is almost nothing for me to really like. 2/5
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253

the original Sex Pistol

MEH. I'm a big football fan, but the football episodes of TS are... not really good.
    And yeah, the subplot sucked.

For the greater good SIR oinks alot's Avatar

W-T-F?!?!?!?!?

F+
    “On my deathbed, my final wish is to have my ex-wives rush to my side so I can use my dying breath to tell them both to go to hell one last time.”

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Season 10 continues when the Simpsons go to the Super Bowl....well 2 of them anyway. But first the kids go on a field trip to the Springfield Post Office. While there they are allowed to each take a piece of undeliverable mail. Bart takes a fairly worthless coupon book and ends up giving it to Homer as a birthday present. Homer tries to use one of the coupons on his tires, but ends up being conned into buying new tires. While waiting for them he meets Wally Kogen, a travel agent voiced by Fred Willard. The two hit it off and at Moe's Wally suggests Homer help him fill up a bus bound for the Super Bowl. Homer recruits multiple Springfieldians and he, along with Bart, head off as we end act 1.

In act 2 the boys are having some drunken fun on the bus. Meanwhile Marge and Lisa decide to try and pass the time with a craft kit. They choose Vincent Price's Egg Magic, but lack all the necessary pieces. They call the company and get a disturbing message from Price himself and that's all they have for the episode. The bus finally arrives at the game and, after some pre-game festivities, Homer is approached by a ticket scalper but insults him and chases him away. Unfortunately the tickets they have are in fact fake and the scalper refuses to help. Homer manages to break everyone into the stadium, but they are quickly caught and imprisoned at the end of act 2.

Everyone is feeling sad in act 3 until they are helped out by Dolly Parton. They escape and run around the stadium until they eventually find a luxury box. This turns out to be owned by Rupert Murdoch though and he has his security team chase them away. They eventually get into the winning team's locker room where Homer manages to steal the Vince Lombardi trophy. Having had an overall good time, everyone leaves on the same bus as John Madden and Pat Summerall call the quality of the episode into question before being picked up by Vincent Price in another bus as we end the episode.

This episode has a very wacky plot and a pointless B-plot that never really goes anywhere. It also has guest stars that aren't really needed. These factors should make me hate the episode, but I don't. It is nothing fantastic or anything but this episode has just always managed to keep me entertained and make me laugh. Many of the guest stars only appear for a single scene or so and the football related ones are actually understandable. I really liked Fred Willard as Wally Kogen, the only guest not playing himself. Rupert Murdoch referring to himself as a billionaire tyrant made me laugh. My favorite character/gag in the episode though was easily Dan's Vincent Price. I don't really know why but that impression had me laughing pretty damn hard and I loved the callback at the end.

Aside from that Homer isn't really ever much of a jerk here. You could probably point out a moment or two but he's been far worse in several episodes this season. Here he just comes off as a football fan trying to have a good time. I really liked two of the deleted scenes for this one, the first being when Homer tricks Flanders onto the bus promising him a trip to Billy Graham. The other was Bart and Skinner on the bus with the passing Chalmers and Agnes. Others jokes I enjoyed included Homer convincing Lenny, the Catholic Church ad, the great beer mugs scene at Moe's, Homer and Lovejoy whipping each other with towels, and Homer's initial football fantasy. Overall the episode honestly feels like it was written rather lazily but I dunno I just always kinda liked it. I'll say a 3.5/5 rounded down to a 3 on the poll.

Blog Entries

'Nother bad episode. Fucking hell. Look at the previous ratings.

Viva Ned Flanders: 1/5
    Wild Barts Can't Be Broken: 5/5
    Sunday Cruddy Sunday: 2/5

How can a show be so uneven?!

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

Nature's Cruelest Mistake Infinity183's Avatar

In my opinion, this is the first truly poor non-clip show episode of the Simpsons. I guess the staff decided to experiment here, but the finished product is shallow and messy. The story is so caught up in mostly pointless celebrity guest appearances and gags that it has virtually no character or plot development at all. It's pretty much just Homer and a bunch of other male characters taking a trip to the Superbowl and getting into trouble for stupid reasons. It has a few funny jokes, but the writing is so sloppy and emotionally unprovocative that it doesn't amount to a worthwhile 22-minute viewing experience. The ironic highlight is when John Madden and Pat Summerall discuss everything wrong about the episode itself.

4.5/10

The Crime-Solving Boat Knightboat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gruesome Boo Bitterful View Post
    'Nother bad episode. Fucking hell. Look at the previous ratings.

Viva Ned Flanders: 1/5
    Wild Barts Can't Be Broken: 5/5
    Sunday Cruddy Sunday: 2/5

How can a show be so uneven?!
    Fucking ditto.

Blog Entries

Average episode imo. 2.5/5

Typical season 10 episode with a very basic A-plot and a rather bland attempt to bring another character into a B-plot.

Won't be one I'll be watching often.

2/5
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

Besides Lenny's groaning scene on the phone, boring and dull as hell...one of my least favorite episodes out of season 2-13.

1.5/5

Banned
    Blog Entries

Humor: What the heck? With so many secondary characters following Homer, you would expect plenty of funny moments but nope, everyone just ends up as usual in the era, people who just follows Homer on his wacky adventures. The only moments where i actually laughed were Homer listening to the spanish flea, and Homer trying to get Lenny to follow him, and the others keeping of Lovejoys collar and the "catholic church" comerical. Very boring and unfunny. 2.5/10

Plot: This is actually one of those episodes i actually wonder where actually created as "real Simpsons episodes" or if it was just a commerical for Superbolw starring Homer and co. It really just feels like a boring excuse in order to show Homer and the others at superbolw meeting trendy guest stars. I mean what the heck where Dolly Parton doing at superbolw? The only guest star that even felt slightly worth it was Vicent Prince, but even that was not that funny. Oh yeah, and the subplot was garbage too. 2.5/10

Characters: Homer might not be as jerky as in say Viva Ned Flanders but he is still not funny in this episode, and the others are not that funny either. And Marge and Lisa are just used for a boring subplot. Meh. 3/10

Awful episode and easily the worst one up to this point. 2.5/10

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

Barely any plot, annoying character (Wally Kogen), poor characterization of Homer, random appearance of Dolly Parton, general boring aimlessness. 2/10

Blog Entries

I never really got the massive hate for this one. It's kind of a silly episode yeah, but that's why I find it enjoyable to watch. Some good gags and decent guest stars makes this a fun episode for me.

8/10
    My Top 100 Simpsons episodes

My Simpsons season rankings (1-23):

6 > 8 > 5 > 7 > 3 > 4 > 10 > 9 > 2 > 12 > 1 > 11 > 16 > 15 > 13 > 17 > 14 > 18 > 20 > 19 > 23 > 21 > 22

Simon Era - Reiss Era - Mirkin Era - Oakley Era - Scully Era - Jean Era

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: fas1997, Sam

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

3/5: boring, but better than a lot of other crap later on in future season and parts of this season 10

Wally: Who's ready for some football!
    Homer: FOOOTBAAAALLL!
    [ "Song 2" by Blur plays for about 10 seconds... ]
    Moe: Homer, we've been running around cheering for an hour, where's the game!?

5/5

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doflamingo The Heavenly Demon View Post
    The only guest star that even felt slightly worth it was Vincent Price, but even that was not that funny.
    Vincent Price died in 1993...
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Atlanta Falcons.

3/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    father dies while son tinychats

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

This has to be one of the most underrated episode ever. I watched it and Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass in honor of the Super Bowl. Sure, I don't really care most for the Super Bowl in general but I kinda enjoyed the main plot. The subplot was nothing special (best part was the phone call). Now comparing this to Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass, this is better cause the jokes are more hit (even though there's a couple miss), the plot isn't stupid and wacky (albeit being a Scully episode). The humor/characterization were decent at least. 8/10
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Since today was the day when the Super Bowl happened, (Not that I care about that shit anyways as I think football in general is boring and the half time show is almost always some talentless hack.) I thought that I would review this episode.

So, is this episode any good? To answer your question... no. Now, I'm a Scully apologist, but even I know that this episode is just a wacky mess of an episode that was heavily rushed. I actually did like this episode at one point, but after watching it again this replaced Wild Barts Can't Be Broken as my least favorite season 10 episode.

The main problem I have with this episode is that it's all over the place. The writing in this episode is very disjointed and messy that I find it hard to believe this episode had 4 writers. It also doesn't have that many good jokes. I mean there were a few like Ralph thinking dog food was in the package, the half-time costumes gag and Marge trying to call Vincent Price's Egg Magic, but gets an automated message, but those are very few and far between. Well at least this episode, I can see where people are coming from when they say "At least the Scully Era was funny." because even some of the worst episodes of that era at least had some funny jokes. Another problem with this episode is the guest stars. Most of them are pointless and Dolly Parton's guest star role was just weird. I mean seriously? Her make-up remover is strong enough to open the prison cell lock?

The only reason this episode was made was just for the ratings and nothing else because not a lot of effort was put into this episode and it seemed like the kind of episode Mike Scully and the other 3 writers wrote this episode on a weekend while they were hammered. Now this episode aired on the same day as the Family Guy series premiere and let me tell you that episode of Family Guy is miles better than this one. This is just a terrible episode and it's one of the worst Scully episodes. It may be better than Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass, but not by much. 3/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Thread Information