• 4/5

33 19.19%
  • 5/5

16 9.30%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate And Review: Sunday Cruddy Sunday

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Not a r-tard

My sixth least favorite of all time. It's kinda scary how awful some of these epiosdes were. F
    Season Grades...
    1 - B, 2 - A+, 3 - A, 4 - A+, 5 - A-, 6 - A+, 7 - A+, 8 - A, 9 - C+, 10 - D+, 11 - F, 12 - C-, 13 - B-, 14 - B, 15 - B+, 16 - B, 17 - C+, 18 - C-

Season 19
    He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs - D+/D
    The Homer of Seville - C-
    Midnight Towboy - N/A
    I Don't Wanna Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - B-

^ Can you elaborate further on why you think it is a bad episode?

The Magic 7

I haven't seen this episode in ages, but from what i remember, its not very good. 2/5
    Top 25 episodes:
    1. Treehouse Of Horror V
    2. Homer The Heretic
    3. Bart After Dark
    4. Homer Badman
    5. Homer's Enemy
    6. Cape Feare
    7. Rosebud
    8. Bart On The Road
    9. Bart's Friend Falls In Love
    10. Marge Be Not Proud
    11. Round Springfield
    12. My Fair Laddy
    13. Last Exit To Springfield
    14. The Joy Of Sect
    15. Hurracaine Neddy
    16. Simple Simpsons
    17. Lisa's Substitue
    18. Simpsoncalifragilisticexpialad'ohcious
    19. Mother Simpson
    20. Old Money
    21. In Marge We Trust
    22. Trilogy Of Error
    23. New Kid On The Block
    24. Hungry, Hungry Homer
    25. Brother From the Same Planet

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

Sunday, Crappy Sunday. I never thought they'd create a worse Super Bowl based episode after they created this, but lo and behild, there's Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass. This episode is definitely in my bottom 20. The only reason I would give it a passing grade is that the "Denver Broncos/Atlanta Falcons" joke was good and reminded me of what a good Super Bowl show could be.
    Favorite Episodes (by Season): Season 1: Krusty Gets Busted, Call of the Simpsons
    Season 2: Blood Feud, Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, Bart the Daredevil
    Season 3: Radio Bart, Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Bart the Murderer
    Season 4: Homer the Heretic, Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Front
    Season 5: Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song
    Season 6: Bart's Girlfriend, Bart of Darkness, Homie the Clown
    Season 7: Summer of 4ft 2, Lisa the Iconoclast, Bart Sells His Soul
    Season 8: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, The Springfield Files, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
    Season 9: Girly Edition, The Cartridge Family, Lisa the Skeptic
    Season 10: They Saved Lisa's Brain, Lisa Gets an A, Simpsons Bible Stories
    Season 11: Grift of the Magi, Brother's Little Helper, Beyond Blunderdome
    Season 12: Hungry Hungry Homer, The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, Trilogy of Error
    Season 13: The Bart Wants What It Wants, Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge, Sweets and Sour Marge
    Season 14: I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can, The Bart of War, Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington
    Season 15: Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Tis the Fifteenth Season, The Wandering Juvie
    Season 16: Thank God It's Doomsday, The Heartbroke Kid, Fat Man and Little Boy
    Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Marge's Son Poisoning, Bart Has Two Mommies
    Season 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple, 24 Minutes, Little Big Girl
    Season 19: The Debarted, Midnight Towboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
    Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone, Take My Life Please, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the main plot is watchable during the first two acts and I like the Catholic Church commercial. The celebrity cameos and the subplot were extremely poor, though. It's a C- or so.

It's like swallowing Draino

Do you want to know how great this episode was, or do you want the truth?

The truth: It sounded like something my kid sister wrote. And the jokes were just cheese, pure, rotten cheese. 2/5

Oh well. Still not as gag-worthy as "Bart to the Future"

-Stevie V. "How long until you release the hounds on me?" Scrivello

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Nigga Storage
    steve scrivlelaopfjiore, harleenquinn, spikeyhairedhooligan, and ppoi are actually all the same poster.

Where's the money shot? Reverend Lovejoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie V. Scrivello
    And the jokes were just cheese, pure, rotten cheese. 2/5
    I don't know... "Keep away Lovejoy's collar!" was interesting...

Anyway, not even that was enough to save this episode for me. 2/5

Thanks to CousinMerl for this great sig!

It's like swallowing Draino

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Lovejoy
    I don't know... "Keep away Lovejoy's collar!" was interesting...

Anyway, not even that was enough to save this episode for me. 2/5
    In fact, that's is the only thing that saves this ep. from a 1/5

Not a r-tard

Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog
    ^ Can you elaborate further on why you think it is a bad episode?
    Of course! Sorry it took me so long to respond.

It starts out horrible, with the field trip to the post office. They could've pulled plenty of jokes outta that, but it just ended up Bart being destructive...again. The "She's onto us" joke was just another pointless Scully atempt of making something out of nothing. The one joke I actually smiled at was Otto's undeliverable package, but even that was forced. I absolutely hated the whole coupon book idea, all it did was deliver failed satire. The wheel bit was average, but before anything decent could be delivered by it, WHAM! Guest Star! The dialogue between Wally Kogen and Homer is absolutely abysmal. Then the idea of going to the Superbowl was introduced...ugh. If the episode had taken any other turn...but no. And then Homer imagining himself there, why couldn't they have put him on the field like his fantasy in "Cape Feare" as John Elway? Then came the glass over the mouth, why did they have to do that? They never change anything in past episodes to make it currently accurate, why now? Especially the Clinton Bit, since he later appeared in the episode. The "holding it in" joke was awful, as was everything along the way to the Superbowl. The guest stars just kept coming from there, and the Homer bwing tackled and cracker ticket jokes were terrible. Then they run in, and get thrown in the cell, and start injuring Homer, which is completely void of intelligence. The Super Bowl Commercial was, once again, poor satire, and the entire subplot was unfunny and pointless. It just continued even worse, especially Rupert Murdoch's appearance (What the heck motivated the writers to add him to this mess?)and the locker room bit. Finally, as if it couldn't get any worse, the announcers at the end, giving appreciation the episode was the final straw. Overall, there was nothing clever or intelligent about this episodes, but it did stay true to its premise and, indeed, provided the viewers with an oh so Cruddy Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Lovejoy
    Explain, please.
    I apologise for bumping, but I'll explain. I didn't see your question until just now, when I was reviewing my old reviews. Although Rev. Lovejoy sometimes comes across as judgmental, he has never struck me as being vindictive to the point where he enjoys seeing physical pain inflicted on others. Thus, his behaviour in Sunday Cruddy Sunday is really out-of-character.

As for the episode, I stand by my C-. I just re-evaluated my grades, and realised that I still felt that the main plot was on the high end of mediocre. So, consider the subplot and the characterisations to be the killers here.
    Last edited by DaRick; 07-04-2007 at 03:59 AM.

3/5, not a classic by any means but still it was a good show.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

I apologise for bumping
    Bumping doesn't really matter for R&R threads
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan P
    I must be the only person who thinks this, but I think this episode is worth at least 3.5-4/5 (so around a B). I'm not one who hates the unnecesary guest voices as much as others (the only one that I'll probably be bothered by is New Kids On The Blecch...when I get around to seeing it).
    I found the post office scene to be funny and enjoyable, as well as other scenes including at Moe's, on the tour bus, and when they were running around the stadium. I actually also like the Marge/Lisa subplot, even though it did nothing to help the overall plot of the actual episode. The only major complaint I would have is when things got a little bit too wacky (Dolly Parton's special extra-strength make-up remover). Also, did I mention I quite liked the superbowl commercial and the little "Where Is Springfield" thing? (I know, "Ohiya, Maude" sounds incredibly lame, but I thought the timing in it was great).

Overall, I would actually give it a B- (sorry to all haters of this episode).
    I agree. I can acknowledge its flaws (thin plot that doesn't really kick in until the end of the second act; some out-there humor like the make-up remover), but there are still enough laughs in it for me that it doesn't get painful or boring to watch. It has one of my favorite act breaks, too: "As a doctor I'd say he's had enough, BUT as a football fan..."

do the bartman!

meh, not as bad as many people make it seem. i mean in my opinion the only bad parts were marge and lisa painting eggs (i think that was just to waste some time or to have a sub plot) and dolly parton's corrusive makeup. other than that, it was alright.
    4/5
    Season 6 rocks!

Hold onto your dick Green_Peaness's Avatar

The first half of the episode has lots of great gags, but it devolves into typical lame Scully wackiness by the time they arrive at the stadium. The egg subplot isn't nearly as bad as its doorbell twin, but still obvious filler. People seem to ignore the first part of the episode, which is a shame because it's obvious the writers put a lot of effort in those jokes...they're way above par for season 10. C

Edit: Ignore my post from two years ago :P
    Ultra-exclusive ass-burger club members: Green_Peaness, Mysti_Pony, Reverend Lovejoy, DoTheBartman, McMeatLoaf, BatofZion, ppoi307, Wendy Windbag

Seinfeld > Simpsons

Black music owns

NHC's Resident Smithers Tamaki Suoh's Avatar

This normally would be the type of episode that would make me cringe: very little characterization, a scattered plot, silly jokes, et cetera, but this one was just hilarious enough to work for me and the carefree mood of it made it feel very unique. It's one of those few episodes that I really enjoy, despite knowing it isn't of very high quality. 4/5

NHC's Resident Lisa Kyoya Otori's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HarleenQuinn
    This normally would be the type of episode that would make me cringe: very little characterization, a scattered plot, silly jokes, et cetera, but this one was just hilarious enough to work for me and the carefree mood of it made it feel very unique. It's one of those few episodes that I really enjoy, despite knowing it isn't of very high quality. 4/5
    Wow, I feel the exact opposite about this episode, and for the reasons you said it should make you cringe. 2/5.

I think it's a pretty good episode. Not really one of my favorite episodes from season 10,
    but still good even when the end of the episode is pretty weak. 3.5/5

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away ..."

Quote Originally Posted by HarleenQuinn
    Amen, sister. Also, I find the fact that it references what's wrong with the episode pretty amusing.

B+

Blog Entries

I think of it as a guilty pleasure. 3/5

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Well, this was the last episode that I haven't seen, and I just watched it today. After hearing a lot of bad things about it, I expected the worst, but it wasn't too bad at all, I thought. The plot was simple but paced well enough, and the group's rowdiness and having a good time was a bit infectious. Most of the gags worked well enough in that shallower Scully-ish way, despite some major wackiness here and there.

As far as Scully gag-based episodes go, there are certainly worse to pick from. 3/5 C

"What about CLAY, Lisa? Do you have any problem with CLAY?"
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Blog Entries

I used to like it, but it seems pretty boring and they could've done alot more with it. The ending was ok, but as an episode in general, I don't really care much for it.

2/5

Cart Your Arse On In Santos L. Halper's Avatar

Pretty poor episode. Poor plot. Poor humour. Poor use of guest stars.

2/5. And that's being generous.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

The idea of the episode isnt inherently bad - its quite Seinfeldish in nature, which is never a bad thing. However, the wit and spark of Seinfeld episodes consisting of witty dialogue and subtle observations external to the otherwise boring plot (parking garage, for instance) is sacrificed instead for irrelevant, throwaway gags and a pointless and farcial look at homer and friends playing around with one another in a fairly juvenille manner. so where does that leave the episode? Well it's basically a pointless, meaningless and pretty unenjoyable plot mixed in with some effortless jokes. This is The Simpsons folks, not some Saturday morning cartoon shit. Every episode of The Simpsons should be funny, thoughtful and beyond this tripe. This episode offers nothing but a pointless plot that leads nowhere, offers no insight into any characters, offers no satire and barely any parody. In addition it struggles to fill the entire 20 minutes, so we're treated to that Lisa/Marge egg thing. Hey maybe it was funny, but it's poor. Why is it poor? Because it's obvious filler material for the sake of being filler material.

Filler material + pointlessness = D
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

8 glasses of gravy a day Jeffster's Avatar

I love it. Very funny. 5/5.

"..they appear to be printed on some sort of cracker."

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Sunday Cruddy Sunday wasn't all that bad, even though it was wacky. It had a good selection of secondary characters that went on the Superbowl trip and some of the jokes worked well. The subplot with Marge and Lisa could easily have been skipped, but it was an okay addition; at least we got to hear Dan Castellaneta do the voice of Vincent Price.

3.5/5
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 12-14-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Junior Camper

I thoroughly detest this episode -the storyline, dialogue, character development and jokes were weak, disjointed and painful to watch and the episode lacked purpose and substance. The scenes with Rupert Murdoch and Dolly Parton was OK but that's all it had to it. This would be one of my least favorite episodes of the series

This episode had some pretty funny parts.
    But then it had a lot of cringeworthy, unfunny parts.
    And then it had a terrible, terrible, terrible plot, with messy pacing. It's just a whole load of guys running round.
    Dolly Parton's corrosive make-up? OK.
    And that guy who had never been in an episode was completely out of place as one of the main characters in the episode. His character was never developed.
    Oh yeah, and the subplot went nowhere and was boring.
    It had a good enough first act -- D.
    "Evolution is silly," AJ adds. "Monkeys? Um, no."

Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not crazy about this episode to be honest, like Uberweiss said there were some ok jokes in it, but even more cringeworth, horrible jokes. I haven't seen this episode in months and I think i'm ok with that.

2/5

Thread Information